Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dying blonde hair dark brown? Advice/help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rlynd12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlynd12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dying blonde hair dark brown? Advice/help?
    Posted: October 19 2014 at 4:41pm
Hey, I don't know if anyone can help me but I've been looking everywhere for help.

My hair is naturally a middle of the road browny blonde and I've been dying it blonde at a salon for a while. I haven't had it done in a while as I'm considering going dark for the winter so my roots are showing quite a bit. I've always wanted to know what dark hair would look like. My hair is in good condition as I don't dye it often and look after it. 

My question is how would I go about dying it that colour? Would I need to strip the blonde out of my hair to take it back to the natural colour and then apply the dark dye? Or do I need to dye it a red colour first to put pigment in it and then dye it dark? How much damage would this do to my hair? I want to use the method that causes the least amount of damage possible. I'll probably eventually want to go lighter again and my hair's condition is important to me. Should I go to a salon to do it? 

Sorry for all the questions but if anyone has done this it'd be so helpful to know how you did it and how it turned out! x
vividamnesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vividamnesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 9:25am
No you do not remove your blond color.Question is, is your blond a warm/golden or a ash/platinum?
If a golden/honey blond, you will have no problems going darker....I wouldn't go any darker than a level 4-5(the first # on the box typically)..the smaller the #, the darker the base color is.

If your blond is a super light ash, it is missing the yellow/gold pigments essential for successful proper tint-backs/darkening.

Check with the floor cosmetologist in the cosmetics section b4 you choose a color for safe measure. 
JMcC2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic