Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mercury Poisoning & Hair Loss?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury Poisoning & Hair Loss?
    Posted: April 11 2003 at 5:14pm
I was just reading Elle Magazine and there is a fascinating article about a doctor in California who had several patients who were losing their hair in chunks. She did lots of testing and discovered a link, that she believes is valid, between high consumption of fish like swordfish and mercury levels. She believes that if you eat a lot of fish and get mercury posioning that a side effect is hair loss. Has anyone else read about this? I eat tons of fish and I have hair loss issues although my doc says it could be hormonal because I take the pill. Any thoughts/
Tiny Tina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2003 at 1:45am
Hi,

I read the same article and I actually have heard of this before. A friend of mine who just had a baby was told by her OB/GYN to be careful about eating too much swordfish because of potential mercury issues. So it definitely makes sense to me that it could impact hair and cause hair loss in some cases. I think ultimately you have to see a doctor if you suspect problems though because it would require more thorough testing.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 3:28pm
Hi all,

Yes...there seems to be some thought that Mercury could cause some problems with skin and hair issues. I read the same article in Elle but again....agree that if you have suspicions that you are having swordfish or other fish related problems, see your dermatologist or doctor for the appropriate medical diagnostic tests.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic