Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trichotillomania

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sonialei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonialei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trichotillomania
    Posted: June 26 2003 at 3:10pm
is anyone here familiar with Trichotillomania, and what causes this? My sister has been pulling her hair and eating the ends of it for about 15 yrs now, mostly in the crown and sides, which has caused her to have bald spots. I ask her why she does this and always answers with an "I dont know". I am concerned that she will eventually go completely bald, or that the hair will just stop growing back. I didn't even know this was a condition till I read about it in Redbook the other day. If anyone has this condition or knows where I can get more information please let me know.
Sonialei@aol.com
Sonia Lei'
bluebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 3:49pm
I saw a Dateline show about this a few months ago. They showed women who had done this for years and their hair never grew back. They all had weaves or hairpieces or hats to cover the bald spots on top. Is she bald?

Do a search on it, I'm sure you'll even find a support group online. She's definitly not alone.

Habits are hard to break.
Sonialei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonialei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 6:03pm
No she isn't bald, but you can definately see where her hair appears to be very fine and thin on the top of her head, and sides... and it's a shame, she has beautiful waist length hair. Im actually surprised that her hair continues to grow after so long. She is 26 now and has been doing it since she was 10. I am curious as to what causes this, I don't know if this is just a habitual (phsycological) disorder, or if it's a lack of nutrients or poor diet that causes this. Her's hasn't become as bad a problem as others i've read about that resort to pulling out other hair such as eyebrows, underarms or pubic area... her problem is her head of hair and she is now admitting to experiencing itchy eyes, which leads to pulling of the eyelashes. She is a very bright, strong woman who can do anything she wants, except break this cycle of constant hair pulling. I've done lots of searches online, but nowhere has it been cleared up as to why this happens, and whether its a physical or mental thing.
Sonia Lei'
Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 10:18pm
There is a good article about it at:
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip1231.htm

Star
Carley View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 11:51am
I have trich too... well I had trich. Actually im not sure if you ever get over it I will probably always have i just have to controll it. I have had it for about 6 years now. Ive gone through period of time when I dont pull once for about 3 years even. My hair grew back fully but I had only pulled for about a year then i stated again fro about 6 months and stopped for another year and once agin my hair grew back fully. I recently started doing this again for a little less than a year when i decided i had had enough and have not pulled in 96 days. Im frusterated because mmy hair doesnt seem to be growing back at a normal rate...I have hair regrowth but nothign like i have expierenced in the past. It brings me to tears usually 3 times a week. It is so embarassing. Please try to support your sister, some members of my family know and no one supports me this is a hard disease to handle b y yourself so be nice to her. Dont call her out on it infrom of people, channces are she is already slef conscious about it. Dont make her fell abnormal because of it and dont ask her why...she doesnt know why she probably doesnt even know shes is doing it most of the time. SHe can get over this though....she just has to be strong. Im only 16 and dealing with this by myself...I imagine if i can do it than she can do it if she is 26 and has someone to support her. There isn't anything you can do but support her. Tell her to try clenching her fists when she wants to pull or giving you a dollar every time she does... the only thing that ever worked for me was self will to stop...she has to want to and im sure she does just help her as much as you can.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Carley Carley wrote:

I have trich too... well I had trich. Actually im not sure if you ever get over it I will probably always have i just have to controll it. I have had it for about 6 years now. Ive gone through period of time when I dont pull once for about 3 years even. My hair grew back fully but I had only pulled for about a year then i stated again fro about 6 months and stopped for another year and once agin my hair grew back fully. I recently started doing this again for a little less than a year when i decided i had had enough and have not pulled in 96 days. Im frusterated because mmy hair doesnt seem to be growing back at a normal rate...I have hair regrowth but nothign like i have expierenced in the past. It brings me to tears usually 3 times a week. It is so embarassing. Please try to support your sister, some members of my family know and no one supports me this is a hard disease to handle b y yourself so be nice to her. Dont call her out on it infrom of people, channces are she is already slef conscious about it. Dont make her fell abnormal because of it and dont ask her why...she doesnt know why she probably doesnt even know shes is doing it most of the time. SHe can get over this though....she just has to be strong. Im only 16 and dealing with this by myself...I imagine if i can do it than she can do it if she is 26 and has someone to support her. There isn't anything you can do but support her. Tell her to try clenching her fists when she wants to pull or giving you a dollar every time she does... the only thing that ever worked for me was self will to stop...she has to want to and im sure she does just help her as much as you can.

Hi Carley,

Congratulations on the progress you have made in dealing with your trich. You are right...it is hard to handle this alone. There are more and more groups that are popping up to help and support fellow trich sufferers. I would suggest that you look for a local support group that you can connect with. If not, there are groups on the Web that you can visit for support via email groups.

Of course feel free to post here as often as you like.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
HairBoutique.com
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Jhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 11:52pm
Trich is a mental/emotional disease that is a facination with the "popping" sound hair makes as it is being pulled out of the hair folicle. YES- there are people who can help! Check into different sites for more info.
Jhair
LostForever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 11:02pm
I had or have had it since fifth grade. And you're so right, Jhair, it's all
about the noise... that's why I always tried to get the thicker hairs on the
back of my part, top of my head. They were the thickest and made the
best pop... it sounds so weird to someone who has never experienced it.
but luckily, my mom made the judgment that it was only due to
boredness in class and said once I went to middle school where I could be
challenged and move around more, going to different classrooms, it
would "go away"... and it did! I still sometimes have an urge to pull out a
hair that looks thick, and I have no idea why, because I love my hair and
want as much as I can have. It's something that never leaves you.

But all of my hair grew back and I've never had a bald spot... just a bunch
of short hairs growing out for a while in the very back of my part during
sixth grade that was quite embarassing.

There is always help. I recommend not doing one activity for too long,
especially one where the hands are not used. If I feel the need to pull, I'll
play my oboe or guitar, or something where my hands are
CONTINUOUSLY in use. Not the computer because people have the urge
to pull when sites or applications are loading. THis method works with
other hand-related issues, such as nail biting or scratching due to
psoriasis/exzema.

Hope I helped!

romsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 10:40am

Wow! You know what, I never thought that there's a 'term' with this problem, sorry for my ignorance. I never thought it exist, really. I've been dealing with this for about 15 years and I thought that I am the only soul in this green planet that has this problem, until I found out just today and the fact that 8 million Americans experiencing this disease. What a poor boy, indeed. It is such a relief to discover this! (Well, on the other side) I have my own share of this so-called "disease". I've been pullin my goddam hair since 10 years old. And I am now 25. By the way it is my biggest secret in my whole life and no one knows about it that I'm a bit bald in the crown and I'm trying to hide it using my hair on the other side, can you imagine? And also some part of my head is kinda thin. I am very pleased that some of my hair grew back through the years. But I'm fightin it now! Everytime I feel like pullin some hair, I just slap it with my other hand. Just wanna ask if I can use minoxidil/regroe to get back some hair or any other medicine. Because I heard that minoxidil/regroe is just for fallin hair, but it is not fallin hair, right? It is Trichotillomania, I mean it doesn’t fall naturally. I never use any medicine because I never seen a doctor, I’m really shy to ask anyone about this but now I have the courage to face it. Help. Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 11:54pm
I sent you a pm about my experience...

SNAPS for you for having the courage to face this! Keep doing what
you're doing, and soon you will wonder why you ever felt that "urge to
pull" it's like quitting smoking, or quitting drinking, or going on a diet!
the first week or so is difficult - I will not lie- but after that it becomes
easier and easier and you will finally forget about it.
romsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 4:05am

Originally posted by LostForever LostForever wrote:

I sent you a pm about my experience...

SNAPS for you for having the courage to face this! Keep doing what
you're doing, and soon you will wonder why you ever felt that "urge to
pull" it's like quitting smoking, or quitting drinking, or going on a diet!
the first week or so is difficult - I will not lie- but after that it becomes
easier and easier and you will finally forget about it.

Thank you so much. Keep in touch.

mandapanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandapanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 1:31pm
I have been suffering from trichotillomania for about 3 years now, since I was in 8th grade. Now I'm 16 and it's really starting to become noticeable. Before I pull hair out I know that I will regret it later, but I can't resist the urge. I've heard of some really terrible cases of trich and I'm afraid that I'll do permanent damage. No one in my family knows that I do this intentionally, but my mom noticed that my hair was getting thin on top. I'm embarrassed about it. I have a very thin spot right on the top of my head, at the front of my part. Just within the last week it's gotten worse, and because of where it is I can't conceal it, especially if my hair is pulled back. Stress increases the pulling, and when I pull I get even more stressed. How can I break the cycle?
romsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 7:34pm
I had trich too mandapanda as you can read my post up there. you know it's just a matter of self control, yeah i know it's easier said that done but the willingness to do it. wear something that you know you can't touch your hair like a cap, bonet and stuff. c'mon baby you can do it. good luck!
maz1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 6:21am
hi there-i too live with tric for nearly 20 years and its ruining my life. has any one got any advice please!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 6:49pm
Like I posted earlier, I understand "the urge" but whatever you do, don't
give into it! Imagine yourself with a full head of hair - do you really want
to give up on that? And then slowly move your hands to below your waist
and find something to do that involved keeping your hands constantly in
motion. Such as playing an instrument, knitting or making a collage.
You get a lot of crafts done this way too. LOL. Take up knitting and
make a scarf for each of your friends on their birthdays!
Hairlost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairlost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:07am

Has your sister seen a Dr?  One of my friends has a cousin (female) who has trich.  Dr. put her on some meds (Prozac I think) which seems to be helping.  In the meantime, she wears an integration hair piece to conceal the spots that are bare. 

mandapanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandapanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 1:44pm

In the last few months, my hair pulling has gotten really bad. I've had a lot of stress because of switching schools, and I've pulled out a lot of hair around my hairline. It's very noticeable. I finally decided to stop and haven't pulled at all for weeks, but the hair isn't growing back yet. Does anyone know when my hair will start to grow back? I'm starting to get discouraged and worried that my hair will never look the same.

mayeuxsherri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayeuxsherri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 2:01pm
In response to everyone who posted comments regarding trichotillomania - go to the website www.trich.org.  You will wonder how you ever survived without it.  My granddaughter (who lives with me) is 10 years old and suffers with it.  She pulled out all of her hair.  You will find the support and information you need on this website!

SHERRI
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic