Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of going short.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of going short.
    Posted: July 06 2015 at 1:40pm
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I have pretty much worn my hair the same way for tooo long. Shoulder length & wavy -- with a few long layers. So I am working up the nerve to go short. But I think I want to do it gradually.

I am thinking first stage: neck length bob. Then jaw length bob. Then short stacked bob. Then something in between long pixie and short stack -- with the nape cut pretty close in. I have a lot of curl in my hair, so that is something I have to consider. (hence the stages will help see what my hair does along the way)

Would love help in deciding the transitional stages as well as the final cut.

Thanks!
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 8:10pm
I think you've already determined the stages now all that is left to do is execute and make an appointment and let the cutting begin.  Enjoy your adventure and don't worry about the hair that hits the salon floor; concentrate on how good the hair on your head looks.
HAWG
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 9:39pm
Good point around not worrying about what is cut off! I am anxious & excited at the same time, and I am hoping to start step 1 this week (provided I can get an appointment).

Since I will also be doing this with a new stylist, do you think I should take pictures of all the stages I might be considering with me to my 1st appointment?
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:20am
Good pictures are a must when 1. Going to a new stylist and 2. Making a major change.
If possible, I would have several (showing front, sides and back (if possible).  Your final result may look a little different depending on hair texture, facial structure...but pics provide a great guide.
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 6:25pm
I made my appt! 10am on Friday! Yay! :) Going to also do color. Now to gather more pictures!
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 8:21pm
Awesome! we'll be waiting to hear how it went. Have fun!
HAWG
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 7:43am
Feeling a little more nervous as the week has went on, but I think that is surprisingly more over the color than the cut! I had a couple of bad color jobs done in a salon in the last year or so that make me a bit more anxious. Looking at Karlie Kloss' longer wavy bob as in inspiration for tomorrow's appointment -- minus the bangs.
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 11:56am
I am back from my appointment. It was the fastest dye job & cut ever! (seriously!)
Thoughts: Love the color. Much richer and more auburn to it. The cut was not quite as short as I was hoping for, but it is still a small change. It has a lot more layers in it now, too -- which helps bring out the curl.

Overall, I will play with it & then see what's next.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 9:35pm
Let us know please
HAWG
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 4:14pm
Update... but not really. :/

Many months have passed, but unfortunately I never got the courage to go through with any of the stages. Instead I just got regular trims along the way. Part of me says just go for it -- in 1 big swoop/no turning back. But then the nervous, anxious side of me is hesitant...
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 4:59pm
Last week I chickened out again -- with just a baby trim. Ugh. But today I I found some courage and got it cut! I took in all my inspirational pictures -- with various stages. I showed her where I wanted to start and where I hoped to eventually end -- from longest to shortest. I then told her to start with a neck length bob (again being so nervous!). She agreed that was a good length. We did color first, and I was worried I would chicken out while sitting with the color processing. But once I got to her chair again, she said -- are you ready to lose some of this hair (holding a hunk of it in the air) and I said YES! She actually cut it shorter than the neck length bob -- and I am positively thrilled! I got an a-line bob just a bit longer than chin length (when curly). I am so glad she pushed me outside my comfort zone.

I have my next appointment set for 7 weeks. I love how light it feels and I love feeling the air on the back of my neck. I am already looking forward to my next appointment and going to the next stage in my short hair journey.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Curlz - June 16 2016 at 5:05pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 8:09pm
Awesome! Glad you're happy with it.
HAWG
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 5:06am
Thanks!
Small update... After washing & wearing the style, I found the cut just wasn't quite sitting right and felt a bit too heavy & dense in certain spots. :( So I had another minor haircut to tweak it a bit. Keeping the overall length about the same -- with just a trim there. But removing some of the bulk in the back & sides left it with a swingier look & more of a lighter feel to it.    
DMB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 6:49am
That's great, glad you are happy with your new style! How long was your hair before being cut into your A-Line bob?
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 8:37am
It was just below my shoulders in the back with some shorter face framing pieces in the front.
DMB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 12:16pm
Hi, still happy with your new hairstyle and do plan on going shorter at your next appointment?
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 3:12pm
It's been about a year since that first cut, but I never did go shorter. :( I just kept getting it trimmed periodically. I have been looking for new hairstyle inspiration pictures. I don't want a stacked haircut, but I do want some length in the front.
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 9:41pm
I have been gathering photos and still trying to get the nerve! I have an appointment set for this week. My haircut goal for this appointment: a bob that is just below my chin and shorter but not stacked in the back.

Wish me luck!
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 10:07pm
Good luck and most important - HAVE FUN; and please let us know the results
HAWG
Curlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 10:27am
Thanks so much! Will do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic