Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Only 16, male and hair is falling out!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
konch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only 16, male and hair is falling out!
    Posted: September 26 2004 at 8:43pm
I'm only 16 and just a week or two ago I noticed more hair falling out on a daily basis than normal. It kept getting worse, and now if i stand by a sink and rub my head i see at least 20-40 hairs fall out. I went to my doctor and am getting a blood test, so that will tell me whether its my thyroid or not, but I get enough vitamins and am very confused as to why this is happening if it isnt my thyroid levels. If it's seasonal shedding, is it normal to shed 50-70 hairs a day? Could i have male pattern baldness already? Very unlikely considering nobody in my family except some distant cousins have lost their hair, but it is a huge concern because losing my hair is like a nightmare come true and its all up to chance.

It is falling out with the root and all, seemingly all around my head but only noticably thinner near the sides of my hair line, and no, i dont blow dry my hair, or gel it, or have it colored, and i shampoo it once a day with pert plus. And no, I haven't had a traumatic experience or felt extreme pressure within the last few months, or the last year or two for that matter. So if it isn't my thyroid, i have no clue what it could be... this is the first blood test that i hope comes out positive.

it's driving me insane. the thought of being 16 and balding is horrible :'(
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2004 at 9:48am
Don't worry! I think you are okay! I'm glad to hear you went to a doctor, so you will know for sure if there's anything wrong. Otherwise, it's probably normal.

You sound sure you're getting enough vitamins, that tells me you may be taking some. A mulitvitamin a day is good, but make sure you aren't taking vitamin A in addition to it. Too much vitamin A can make hair fall out.

The normal amount of hair to lose in one day is 100 hairs, so if you're only losing 50-70, you're actually doing good!

It's possible you are going through a hair loss cycle right now, if its more hair loss than before, but this is normal too. Hair goes through cycles where it grows, then doesn't grow so much for awhile, or falls out more (especially during the teen years).

If your mother's father didn't lose his hair, nor your uncles on your mother's side, nor your father, it probably doesn't run in your immediate family so you won't either.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
konch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2004 at 6:34pm
It makes me feel a lot better knowing that I've talked to a friend or two who's going through the same thing right now... either my town had a dirty bomb detonated or now is just the time/season for shedding. As long as I know what it is, I feel a lot better, because that tells me what I need to do to fix it (if anything seems to be the case if it's not my thyroid. I'll give it more time)
Eliska View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 3:41pm
i am 16 and i dyed my hair not too long ago and all of a sudden my hair started coming out. . like. . ALOT. . .but when i found out some of friends' hair was doign the same, i felta lil better, not to mention i knew it was the sasonal change, and now i am taking a multi-vitamin a day. . .s it's all kinds of gravy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic