Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bless whoever can help me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ching Ching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bless whoever can help me
    Posted: December 20 2004 at 2:19pm
Alright...it starts like this....
My hair was so thick and curly that I wanted to make it straight to be manageable....
So I bought a perm kit at cvs called fabulaxer and did it my self not knowing you were supposed to put vasoline on your scalp to prevent burning or something of that sort. well my hair was straight and I was happy....no shedding or anything.....
I kept using it till maybe the 6th time or so was when hair fell out in clumps when I went to go wash it out. I never saw a doctor till about a week ago and he told me that it looks as if it were caused by hereditary genes which really makes no sense to me because it was a sudden hair loss right after using that product. Its been about 3 years since Ive last used the relaxer and my hair is growing back but not as fast as I would like. I see fine hairs growing up front and all....
Ive tried HF37 and am currently trying vivascal or what not.......
it just seems to me that it cant be from genes becuase my whole head was really thick....then when I relaxed it....it became thin and brittle....
my hair is now getting thicker on the back and sides with the top part taking it's time.....but upon closer inspection....i noticed that thick hairs are starting to form and my hair is much softer and not brittle anymore......
the doc prescribed procerin or something like that....I dont wanna take pills because im scared ill lose a eye or something (sarcastic)......
btw I am 21 and a male.....
maybe I should see another doctor....maybe I should try horsetail.....either way....PLEASE PLEASE help me......a hair transplant is the last thing I need in my life and I feel im too young...
maybe someone can suggest a doctor in the NY city area that can help me out and see whats with my hair loss....there has to be a way to determine if its from chemical or gene loss right???

thanks and happy holidays
ConanOBrien View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConanOBrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 1:14am
It's most likely from Chemical.
that's not to say it wont grow back though.
But from my experience with dermo's.
Haaa haa thats what i call dermotologist, they take one look and label almost all hair loss herditary when they take one look at a male.
They should go back to school.
and the FDA should get there heads out of thier hairy behinds and stop allowing these products on the market, believe me you'd be surprised if you knew how much "harmless" stuff out there causes hairloss
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 8:29am
I agree with Conan. Its possible you could have the genetic disorder alopecia areata, but more likely its caused by so much straightener. That stuff is harsh.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 11:57pm
lol thats what I thought......
thanks for the reply's ....you guys have any suggestions on what to do......

the reason's I have my doubts if because when I went to this Hair Transplant doctor......he cut off some hair but didnt tell me what he doin with it...

I thought they were supposed to pluck out a hair to find out the problem.....

any idea on what I could do would be immensly appreciated.......
thanks
ConanOBrien View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConanOBrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 2:23am
Well for starters if you want to keep the hair you have on your head dont let hair transplant doctoer cut it?
That seems rather odd.
I understand they may need a sample to possibly see if its a certain kind of hair loss. but it's much more easier if your shedding to take that hair thats already seperated from your head. Unless this is the kind of hair resotration person you've seen that makes "Hair systems" and wants a sampel hair to make fake hair to be sewn sutered to your head.
My best advice is stay away from things like hair systems, its ok if your interested in a hair transplant, but dont rish into one.
Your hair may grow back in and if you rush into a transplant it willbe a waste of time and you'll have missing hair on the back of your head or scar where they take the donor hair from.
In the meantime, take vitamins, stay away from selenium, trust me it over the dose of 100 mcg's causes hairloss. dont take more then 5000 units/ mg's of vitamin A either a day.
biotin is good for hair loss. try using green tea in your hair or scalp. Boil the water pour in a cup dip the tea bag , let sit then wait till it cools enough and rub into your scalp.
It's noted that for ages in China Sumo wreslters would do this and they never lost there hair.
and by all means STAY AWAY from any chemical agents that burn, strip or alter the shape texture or condition of your scalp and hair.
and lastly try finding at least one dermotologist you can trut or that specializes in hair loss That is key, because a regualr dermo has limted knowledge of hairloss, the most they tell you is count how many hairs a day you loose if its under a 100 your ok. which isnt true. and say its genetics almost allthe time.
Ask about alopicea sorry (wrong spelling) and ask if it could be that.
Are you loosing hair inclumps, are there circular bald spots on your scalp? If so then it could be that.
Most likely though your hair has gone into a tellgen efflufium stage or extense shedding due to trauma to the scalp or hair shaft ( ie: the chemical relaxers) in most cases after 6-8 months you should see regrowth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 2:00pm
wow thanks connan.....
well the doctor only cut out a smal portion....but either way I thought he was supposed to pull one out from the scalp.....about finding a dermo....I found a place in manhattan that said Medical Hair Restoration...I think Im gonna give them a try....

and yeah I did have areas of extreme hair loss.....but the wierd part is that my hair is growing thicker.....it started working its way up from my sideburns and is now all the way to the top of my side on my head.
The wholoe 6-8 month period has passed....
its been about 2 years......
maybe Im not doiing something right? .....
i was very sexually active for that time though...So im deffinantly goiing to cut back on that......
was just wondering if there were any products on the market to help restore roots from chemical missuse.....
either way thanks a bunch
Happy Holidays
vijay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 10:42pm
no need transplatation.if u want original hair
r u ready to follow some advice?

mailme
mpvijay@indiainfo.com
MP VIJAYKHANNA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2004 at 2:26am
does anyone know if there is a way to tell if my hairloss is from the chemicals I abused or from hereditary reason?

or maybe recemmend me a good dermotologist in the NYC area...

Thanks all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 3:10am
ok nobody else has any experience with this...lol this sucks
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 10:38am
You might want to put a question about recovering from hair loss caused by relaxers on the African-American hair board on this site. I've seen it discussed there before.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 3:36am
would it matter if im not african american?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 11:03am
No, I don't think it would matter. Anyhoo, here's a (((hug))) for you.

Anais

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 1:55am
im gonna try to contact the company and see what they say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 6:17pm
ok well the company is made by Revlon.....i emailed them and never got a response...

but i stumbled on a website called skin biology andf they seem to know what the hell they are talking about and reccemmended me on emu oil and some kind of conditioner to awaken the follicels that went into "dorment mode" or something...
they said that this procedure has helped to awaken 80% of the hairs that got damaged in the relaxing process........(crosses fingers)
hope this crap works
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 3:37pm
Since it was a relaxer, your hair probably just broke off. how often were you using it? were you overlaping hair that had been previously straightened? you should only do that every 6-8 weeks and only on hair that hasn't been relaxed.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 2:17am
last time i used it was bout 3 years ago.....hasnt been the same since....
dont know bout the time inbetween intervals
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 9:13am
Have you changed your hair care routine since you first posted, or is it still the same?

Specifically, have you clarified your hair with a vinegar solution to remove silicone buildup? Are you still loading it up with silicones, or have you switched to moisturizing conditioners and oil treatments?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ching Ching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 6:30pm
iv been using a shampoo/conditioner that the trichologist gave me....along with vitamins and scalp tonic which makes me whole head red for like 30 mins.....
guessing for blood flow and followed by 3% minoxadil.....
been 3 weeks and my hair seems healthier...
the top is still questionable.....but I guess it takes time...

I also have realized that for the last 3 years...ive been goiing to sleep at around 4 (real late) and waking up late....that mihgt have had something to do with it as well.....
so im gonna try and change this as well

who knows
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic