Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

16 female losing/thinning hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
desperate View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desperate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 female losing/thinning hair
    Posted: January 12 2005 at 8:10pm
I'm 16 and i've been experiencing hairloss for about 2 yrs. I went to the doctor and got tested for a lot of things but he said i was healthy. My hair is thinner and i seem to have a lot of short little broken hair. I have little bald spots in the front near my forehead and the bald spots are little bit pink. Can anyone tell me what might be happening? and what the bald spots with pink spots might mean? or is it just from the sun. I also seem to have little brown spots on my head. i don't think its ringworm since i dont have bald spots near the brown spots.
SummerM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SummerM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 6:38pm
You said you have broken hairs. What have you been processing with and how much have you pulled through?
desperate View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desperate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 8:01pm
I haven't used any chemicals in my hair at all. i used to use a brush to pull my hair into a pony tail a lot, but i've stopped using that for awhile now. i did use staighters but i've stopped using anything to make my hair situation worse. i also noticed my hair has thinned out like crazy.
Elesha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 11:12pm
This may sound retarded, but try a dermatologist, he may have more answers. My sister lost a lot of hair after a bad bleach job and she got a prescription for a herbal medication from a dermatologist. Or, try a herbalist.
Angyxsempre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angyxsempre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 5:12pm
Hair Loss and Hair Follicle
Abnormality

The myriad hairs growing on the human body
are products of subcutaneous mico-organs
called hair follicles. Regardless of the length and
thickness of the shaft, each individual hair grows
to a single hair follicle. The size of the hair
follicle determines fhe thickness and relative
length of the hair shaft: long, coarse terminal
hairs are produced from large terminal follicles
and short, fine hairs from small vellus follicles.
Under healthy conditions the normal pattern of
body hair growth is generally well maintained
topographically by the characteristically dis-
tributed terminal and vellus follicles. However,
abnormal conditions, such as hormonal disorders,
inflammations, toxic exposures, and stress, that
cause abnormal changes of the hair follicles
readily induce either gradual thinning or rapid
loss of hairs in the body.
The loss of scalp hair is a most conspicuous
phenomenon; it may appear as a complete loss of
the hair shaft in patchy and wide scalp regions, a
reduced density of terminal hair, or a replace
ment of terminal hairs with vellus hairs. A
complete loss of scalp hair is usually caused by
severe dystrophic or degenerative changes of
hair follicles due to toxic or inflammatory
processes resulting in alopecia areata, alopecia
totalis, or alopecia universalis. Reduced density
of the terminal hairs (thinning) in the vertex or
frontal edge of the scalp is a common feature of
female alopecia. The thinning of scalp hairs
concomitant with a replacement by vellus hairs
is typical of male pattern baldness (androgenetic
alopecia). Unlike complete hair loss caused by
hair follicle damage, female alopecia and male
pattern baldness usually lack either degenerative
changes of the hair follicles per so or abnormalities
of the surrounding tissues. However,
dystrophic hair follicles are frequently found in
the long-standing, advanced bald scalp, particu
larly in aged subjects. The thinning of hair in
both female and male common baldness is known
to result from a diminution of the size of hair
follicles. The magnitude of this follicular
diminution is much greater in male than in
female alopecia.
ysanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 11:04am
Hi
  I'm also suffering from hair loss :( Been losing it since 14 or so (until now), 24. Argh. Extremely depressing.

Before my hair started falling out, my hair started becoming very dry (lotsa 'curly fries' around), looking extremely messy, and then it just started falling out ... Right now my hair looks so thin.

And now when I wash my hair, I noticed, if I scratch my scalp, I get white stuff under my finger nails. It builds up over the days, so if I haven't washed it for 3 days or so, I'll get lotsa white stuff under my nails if I scratch.

Is that normal? I've been so 'used' to all this .. and having lotsa hair falling out, that it seems so ... normal now.

:(
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 4:18am
Bleh, the same thing happens to me.  I get white stuff, and scalp itch. . . tried using Neutrogena T-gel for it before, and sometimes Tea Tree Oil, and they help a little, but nothing works totally.  I lose too much hair, too, which is a problem, since my hair was really fine to begin with :-( .  The places that itch most are where I'm thinnest, which makes me wonder if there's some correlation.  If only there were some way to make the itching and flaking stop long enough to see if the fallout would stop at the same time. . .
More awesome than a manatee!
ysanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 12:10am
I was thinking of trying Nivoral (that is, IF my pharm sells it)....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic