Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair With Business Wear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair With Business Wear
    Posted: January 05 2000 at 8:36am
Hi, all. I'm dragging this over from the Hair Talk forum because, well, someone has to break the ice.

In my opinion, very long hair should not be worn down with a business suit. I think the two looks clash, and the result is not professional looking.

Hair that's a few inches past the shoulders....maybe. But I think waist length hair should be pulled back or up when worn with a suit.

Opinions?

Ally
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2000 at 8:49am
With perhaps an occasional exception, in general, I agree wtih you. The reason -- the hair draws attention away from the person and to the hair. It's the same reason one wouldn't wear fishnet stockings and a mini-skirt to the boardroom! You want the focus to be on your work, not your appearance. Obviously, appearance is important! But not as the *focial* point in a business situation. That's when women aren't taken seriously. It may appear that they're spending more spend on how they look rather than how they work. Of course, it isn't always true, but in a situation like that, it's better to blend in a bit rather than stand out, *except* for your actual work!
DA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2000 at 10:07am
Hi, Ally!

I am not sure how you are defining "up" regarding hair styles. I think if long hair is worn loose it may look to casual for a business situation. However, I feel that a French Braid or some other style where the hair is "restrained" would be more than acceptable.

DA
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2000 at 11:21am
FROM MARK
I think long hair,should be folded and wrapped and secured
with a hair stick. It is better for a ladies long hair to be
folded and wrapped,and use a hair stick to keep it
secured,when working in a business setting.
Business wear would call for long hair that is wrapped and
folded up at the work site.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2000 at 1:42pm
I think the idea is that the hair doesn't overwhelm the person. If I met someone with 4" purple spikes all over her head, I'll be honest -- desperately though I may try, it would be hard *not* to look at her hair! I'm in no way saying that real long hair is comparable to a punk look, but even if the hair is beautiful, it still has the potential of becoming the focal point. Which is great on a date! But not when you're presenting ideas to the boss.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2000 at 9:23pm
Hey I wear fishnet stockings and a mini skirt to the boardroom. lol How do you think one gets promoted lol

I do wear my hair loose, or tied , or in a bun .
dianefromcanada

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2000 at 9:24pm
In your opinion what is very long hair?
dianefromcanada
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2000 at 6:33pm
Diane from C.,

"Very long hair" is hair that is chest-level or longer. That's an estimate, not a spec. ;)

Ally

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2000 at 7:08pm
Maybe it something that you are use to not really having long hair. I have seem both ways and in my opinion it doesn't really matter if the hair is pulled back or not. If someone looks good with long hair it only highlights everything.
dianefromcanada
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2000 at 8:52pm
Wow! I'm amazed chest-level hair would be considered very long. Long, maybe, but to me chest-length is near the boundary between short and long.

To address the subject, though, I like the following compromise: braid the hair half way from crown to end. Leave the bottom half loose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic