Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long hair at age 50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long hair at age 50
    Posted: January 06 2000 at 10:05am
Hi all!

I just had to post this one today. Today is my birthday and I turned 50! Omigod I can't believe I am that old and I also can't believe that I don't feel like what I used to think 50 would feel like. I just want to say I am not too old for long hair! I have always loved long hair. After a very regrettable try at shorter hair over a year ago, I am now letting my hair grow nice and long again. It almost to midback and I love having it longer again. I feel like myself again. Shorter hair was just not ME. So all of you out there in your 30s and 40s who question whether long hair is appropriate at your age, go for it! If you love your hair long and feel good with it long and like the way it looks on you, let it grow. Of course split thin ends look terrible at any age. So keep it healthy and neatly trimmed but I encourage you to have long hair at any age. Long hair is fun and pretty and feminine no matter your age.

longhair4ever!

Carolyn B
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2000 at 11:00am
I hope you have a wonderful hair day and a great day in general!

Jennifer
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2000 at 11:22am
Congratulations both on your birthday and on keeping your hair long...Vivats!
brenda
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2000 at 7:20pm
Hey, Carolyn!

Happy Birthday to a Fellow Capricorn...Mine is coming soon!

Glad to see you here and hope that you have been well.

Sounds like you have definitely got it all together:) A bit grounded...definitely an Earth sign:) [I had to say it:)]

Here's to healthy, gorgeous...long,long tresses!

Keep that terrific attitude:)

Bye for now,

Jade
iggy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2000 at 3:36pm
I'm always impressed to see an older woman bold enough to wear long hair, be fifty myself in April although I still feel nineteen. You girls can look wonderful with long hair at any age. More power to your elbow,(an English expression of support). Best wishes.. Iggy..
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2000 at 12:00am
I am a fifty one year old man,who admires the courage and
determination of ladies,who are over forty years old to
have waist length long hair. Long hair for ladies over
forty years of age,can be a brilliant,beautiful and pretty
enhancement of the female identity,and can be also be an
positive artistic enhancement.
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:54pm
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 6:10pm
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2004 at 1:19pm
An older lady with long hair puts me in mind of a Barbarian Warrior Queen. I love how majestic and regal it looks, like a mane on a lion.
crazynluv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazynluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 2:00am
you go carolyn!
~*~CeCe*~*
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2004 at 6:54pm
Can I ask: Do you wear your hair long to be noticed, or just because that's the way you like it and never mind what anyone thinks?
If the latter then there's nothing more to be said.
If the former, then may I just point out certain public perceptions? One, you may get away with it at 50, but what about 60 or 70+? There has to be (literally!) a cut-off point. Two, is your hair graying - if so wearing it long will be looked upon even less favorably. Tramps spring to mind. Three, given the lessening "flexiblity" of hair in middle to late age, their long hair just cannot be brought into style in the same way that a younger person's can. The only answer is the chop, which can still look stylish on the older person. I've seen women in their 50s with wickedly short hair. I've also seen the same with long hair and the older they are the more straggly it looks. Sadly, one cannot outwit nature.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2004 at 6:26am
Originally posted by phil phil wrote:

Can I ask: Do you wear your hair long to be noticed, or just because that's the way you like it and never mind what anyone thinks?
If the former, then may I just point out certain public perceptions? One, you may get away with it at 50, but what about 60 or 70+? There has to be (literally!) a cut-off point. Two, is your hair graying - if so wearing it long will be looked upon even less favorably. Tramps spring to mind. Three, given the lessening "flexiblity" of hair in middle to late age, their long hair just cannot be brought into style in the same way that a younger person's can. The only answer is the chop, which can still look stylish on the older person. I've seen women in their 50s with wickedly short hair. I've also seen the same with long hair and the older they are the more straggly it looks. Sadly, one cannot outwit nature.

I have to disagree with most of what you said, phil. First, long hair is nice to have. It's easier to take care of and never gives you a bad hair day.

Most long haired ladies are well aware of negative public perceptions. People are always telling them they should cut it. Frankly, it takes a pretty strong and willful woman to keep fighting this and keep her hair the way she wants it. What's wrong with a woman at 60+ or 70+ wearing an elegant bun?

How many tramps have you seen with long gray hair? I've only seen long gray hair on ladies who wore it in beautifully elegant buns.

I also disagree that gray hair's lessening flexibilty limits its styling capability. Styles don't bend hair so much that this should really matter. Even buns and braids do very little real bending to the hair.

It will only look straggly if they don't get regular trims, at any age, which is what the original poster said.

Not trying to pick a fight with you phil, but I feel that saying things like this only increases the abundant negativity that long haired women have to deal with by causing those who had not yet formed opinions on the subject to think such things are true.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2004 at 9:54am

If the former, then may I just point out certain public perceptions? One, you may get away with it at 50, but what about 60 or 70+? There has to be (literally!) a cut-off point.

Why? Because you said so? Or because you feel older women nowadays are incompetent to continue caring for their hair properly?
Quote wo, is your hair graying - if so wearing it long will be looked upon even less favorably. Tramps spring to mind.

You know a lot of female tramps with well cared-for long hair, Phil?
Quote hree, given the lessening "flexiblity" of hair in middle to late age, their long hair just cannot be brought into style in the same way that a younger person's can.

Where did you get this notion?
Quote he only answer is the chop, which can still look stylish on the older person. I've seen women in their 50s with wickedly short hair. I've also seen the same with long hair and the older they are the more straggly it looks.

Most of the women of any age I see with short hair, wicked or not, seem to have severe damage due to processing. Why do you hold long hair to such a higher standard? Of course, the chop is not the only solution. You could try force women over the age of 50 to shave their heads or wear headcoverings.
Quote adly, one cannot outwit nature.

Yup, Phil. We're all going to die.

I have to agree with Susan here.

I am 49 and my hair is almost classic in length. There is no way it's suddenly going to completely change its characteristics when I turn 50, nor will I ever lock myself into the "older lady" hair trap.

Get over your hair issues, Phil.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Chrissy M View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2004 at 8:05am
I started growing my hair long when I was a teen. Not really because I wanted long hair, but because my mother always took me to a barber with my brothers where they always cut my hair too short and I would cry after each visit for days. My brothers got crewcuts, I got a pixie. Well as I was in college and not seeing a barber, my hair grew over time and I did not want anyone to cut my hair period. It was below my shoulders when a friend, who also had long hair helped me with my ends. As it grew long, I really began to enjoy it and how people reacted to me with my longer hair. It is silky, shiny and strawberry blonde in color. It has been long now for a good number of years, and I assure you as I get older, even as gray appears, I am not ever going to chop it off. It is a part of me, and I would no longer chop it off than I would a hand or foot.
Jeep Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2004 at 7:18pm
Whoa... Hold on a minute there Phil! But the "sadly one can't outwit nature" comment really burned me up! What about balding older men who refuse to deal what mother nature is dealing out? Comb-overs, hair plugs, spray on hair, etc. That looks just as tacky, yet it's socially acceptable. (why?) Long hair can look gorgeous on an older person - especially in that beautiful silver color. (saw a native american gentleman on vacation who had great looking long silver hair!)

I am with Chrissy - forced into pixie cuts as a youngster. Now it's mine - and I want it long! I look like poop now with short hair, so I can't imagine looking better with a wrinkly face and short icky hair. (not that short hair on everyone looks icky - just me!)
Jeep Girl
2a-2cFiii 38"
(still trying to figure out how to
merge long hair into the Jeep
lifestyle without looking like a total
dork)
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 9:16am
Well, the length of the hair depends on the wishes of the customer. But always take in mind the hairstyle should fit your face shape. E.g. a long face will never look nice with long hair, no matter what age.

A factor to take into consideration is the inevitable drag of mother earth on your face. Elderly will have more hanging down than youngsters. Elasticity is gone, in the face too. This is why most elderly women prefer short hair - it takes the emphasis away from it. And most elderly (still long haired) women realise it too - the put up their hair most of the time.

And finally, as women get older, the production of female hormones diminuishes, whilst the male hormones (yes ladies, do have them too!) are produced at the same speed. This means less hair than in your young days. Making long hair (especially loose) look less attractive. I guess Phil tried to explained this last point a bit clumsily.

This said - you have the completely liberty to do as you please. If the length of your hair is more important than making the best of what mother nature gave you, who am I to argue? All we're allowed to do is offer advise and the experience of years. The choice will always be up to you!
tesseract and amethyst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tesseract and amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 5:13pm

a bunch of rather snarky stuff.

i am so glad my hair growth has nothing to do with what anyone else, judgmental or not, thinks.

Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion Phil and HD, but this could have been a nice, positive thread. I bet you could have expressed yourself in that spirit...

Lady Carolyn, I would love it if you checked in again for those of us who are looking forward to being where you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Relaxed 4b/4a (right side only)
Big Chop 11-6-04
Goals: healthy hair, then growth to
terminal length

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 6:00pm
Amaaaazzzing. If you keep telling yourself that your hormones aren't decreasing, HD, maybe you'll start to believe it. You may feel that older women are worthless hags who should shave their heads in order to be subservient to the wishes of Mother Nature as you are channeling them. It's a good thing that older women realize that you're full of c**p and find your self-described "wisdom" to be utterly valueless.

Chrissy M View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 6:57pm
I like my hair. It may get tangled sometimes and yes it takes longer to wash and dry. But it is beautiful, it makes me feel beautiful to other around me. When my husband brushes it for me I feel like a teen. When other people around me fawn over it I feel like a queen. I have not had a bad hair day since it has grown long. When jealous people mention I should cut it, I consider their suggestions to be like a salesmen selling used cars, vacuum cleaners, insurance, (you fill in the blank). I simply tell myself no sale and let then drool!!! I tell the haircut Nazis, "no hair cutting for you". Those of you ho are peddling old tire lines trying to get or any other long haired beauty to cut off their hair, I politely say to you, "No, now be polite and go away." If you insist on bothering me I will not be so nice. Please respect me, if you expect me you respect you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 7:39pm
Indeed, Chrissy, you are more polite than I. I just know that when I let my hair down at the end of a workday I enjoy looking like a gentlewoman on an antique postcard. I feel such a sense of continuity with our ancestors.

Guys look at my hair and think I'm ten years younger than I am.

A bad hair day is when the ends pop out of my bun and it looks like I did it on purpose.

So many people feel threatened when women, older women in particular, refuse to fall in line with their stereotypes and preconceived notions of what older women can or cannot be or do.

Oh, well.

If you're the same age as I am, perhaps you remember the pop psychology book I'm OK, You're OK. I just think this is a situation of "I'm OK, you need to mind your own business".

People never try to get me to cut my hair. Maybe I'm intimidating?

I'm planning a cut in about five years, but only if I need it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic