Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair on Men...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 3:04am
A man has to be confident of his masculinity to wear real long hair. Likewise a woman has to be confident in her femininity to wear real short hair.
If you have that confidence and you think you look good in those styles, well then why not!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2004 at 8:54am
I think men with long hair is on the same principle as women with short hair; it defies society's expectations for gender roles. So I have no problem with men in long hair. But I do value a neat, clean image in all people, regardless of gender or hairstyle, so men with long, greasy, unkempt hair does bother me. Of course, men with short, greasy, unkampt hair that's standing up weirdly from sleep also bothers me. I just see both as a sign of laziness and/or lack of pride in oneself, I guess. *shrugs and stops rambling now before this gets much more unnecessarily long*
More awesome than a manatee!
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2004 at 4:46pm
Why does it matter if ANYONE else likes it? we don't exist soley for their viewing pleasure! YOU are the one who has to live with your hair, so wear it any way you like! SCREW THE SYSTEM AND THE SCUMBAGS OF AMERICA THAT WANT TO FORCE YOU INTO A TINY BOX! RUN FAR FAR AWAY FROM THEM!

Sorry, I get a little psycho sometimes
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 4:28pm
Maybe the question should be what is the percentage of men who actually have long hair!

For longest time I reallly dislike long hair on men but over the years of being expose to the art world etc I have become use to it and almost expect it. It really started with my upbringing.
In everyday life I hardly find men with long hair. I find myself searching to see who has it and not because so far the ones that actually have it around here are actually very attractive men.
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 2:29pm
Well, I'm man who likes men with long hair, does that count? I love it when a guy has hair mid-back length or longer. God, thats sexy! If a particular guy is both willing and into rough sex, I like useing it as a handle :)

But, mostly I just like to stroke it and play with it.
Impaler Vlad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:38am
Originally posted by hines hines wrote:

Ok, I'm a long-haired man. It's almost to my waist. My question is:What percentage of women like men with long hair?Jeff.

Hi, hines, U shouldn't care about what other people might think, including gals. I've kept my hair long most of my life and I allways will. If a gal ahs the good taste to like it, good for her! If she likes short haired men, she simply ain't good enough for me! Someone else on this board said a man must be very confident of his masculinity to grow his hair long. There is no greater & more honest truth! BTW, in the Middle Ages, when men were really men, they kept their hair long. For a viking warrior, cutting his hair short was similar to castaration.
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 3:41pm

Men are like women - some look good in longer hair, some do not.  But do I find it appealing - most certainly. But it has to be well-cared for.

I am not a nut about hair length nor do I insist on a particular style for guys I have dated.  I respect an individual's choice just as I expect them to respect my style choices.

When I was younger, I really did like 'long-haired wildmen', but even then, I would mentally assess a guy as to how he'd look with or without the hair.  Just because a guy had the hair did not mean that I would automatically like him.

What I do not understand is those who date opposites to their specific preferences then drives themselves and the object of their affection crazy by trying to mold them into something else.  An example of this - a man dating a long-haired woman then fixating on short hair styles and harrassing her to cut hers.  Or a woman dating a 'long-haired wildman' and then trying to 'preppify' him into the safer, short-haired conformist. 

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front
yanetfashions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanetfashions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 5:06pm
Count me out- it too girly for me. What ever floats your boat.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 1:09pm
I think it depends on why the man has the longer hair.  If he wears it long simply because he's too lazy to take care of it so that it's greasy and dirty, then definitely not.  But if he has incredible hair like Dave Decker, then I think it looks fantastic!  It's very powerful and sexy on a guy.  What I don't personally care for is when a guy has very short hair up front and then much longer in the back, then I'd rather he just cut it all short.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 5:37pm
Nope, don't like. Nothing sexier than a man with a nice short clean cut (for Me).
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 9:00pm
I think healthy, long hair on men is quite attractive, and I always have.

However, I married a short hair, and have been married for a long time.

To be perfectly honest, I never dated a long hair, despite my attraction, because of the societal norms.

Now that I am older, I see things differently, and if my husband wanted to grow his hair long, I would be perfectly happy with that.
2b/F/ii
browneyedgirl83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browneyedgirl83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 11:33pm
My boyfriend has long hair... I have always liked long-ish hair on guys (enough to play with...) but his is a little longer.
It's very pretty hair.... and very well kept... my on;y complaint about the whole thing is he keeps it in a pony tail all the time.. which makes it hard to play with... but it suits him

I am pretty laid back though.. if he wanted to cut it that would be fine too...

as someone said earlier.. just so long as it is neat and clean...
TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 3:48pm
The pony tail. i have always wondered why a guy or girl would have long hair only to keep it in a pony tail all the time.  i understand once in a while and hot days, etc.  but some just keep it in a pony tail. I love long hair, would have mine very long  and permed if i could, i also love curls, but right now it is impossible.  society expectations being what they are. I am 53 and have always regretted some of my vocational choices becasue of my hair wants.
Tommi
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 2:50am
I know this is kinda an old topic but I just have to add my two cents. I LOVE a guy with long hair,it shows that they are willing to look different. My husband had waist length hair when I met him (longer then mine!) and it was very attractive on him.I agree that buzz cuts are kinda cookie-cutterish and not very flattering.Hair is your personality,and if you have none or hardly any,what does that say? Most men are simply too lazy to sport long hair,and when you find one that does it says they go that extra mile to look different. I dont want a guy who looks like everyone else,but who has personality in his OWN way.
I cant remember the name of the biblical story~but what about the guy who lost his strength when his hair was cut? (Sampson?)
Having said that,there are some guys who DONT look good with long hair as well...But I'am very attracted to guys with long hair.
Carolredskirt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolredskirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 4:03pm
I agree. I like long hair on men. If a guy is handsome and masculine, to me he can look very attractive in long hair. My boyfriend has hair just past his shoulders. I wish he would grow it longer. He knows I love it on him. He is a lawyer and wears it in a ponytail at work, usually down at home.
kengibson2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kengibson2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Lady Godiva Lady Godiva wrote:

Cleanliness isn't a recent concept, but crew cuts are. I still hold they were invented to shear individuality, because hair color, type, texture and abundance are very difficult to determine when all soldiers are so closely shorn. This makes G.I. Joe look like G.I. Dave and G.I. Don and G.I. Jeff and so on... If they could manage in the past without crew cuts, they could now. And why only the extremes of buzz jobs or really long hair? Is there no compromise?

Such patronizing remarks, Jena. I have relatives who were in the military who would take you to task for what you imply about me. Military leaders don't care about the small soldier. They don't want to see the individual. My terminology reflected their attitude toward the rank and file.

Webster defines "bare" as "devoid of covering or dress," "lacking in embellishment or in interest or attraction, plain, meager" and "bareheaded." This hardly reflects long hair. In ancient times, the shaving of heads was done to humiliate and punish both men and women, to indicate the man was a weakling and the woman a prostitute, or else it was used to indicate a slave or servant rank.

By the way, leeches are back in favor in the medical field. And if changing and evolving are always so great, as you suggest, then are we to be proud we've learned new and better ways of fighting/killing other people?

Jennifer Eve

Yes Jennifer my father spent 20 years in the military, one of the first things he did was grow his hair out after he got out. Did you know some militaries in the past had the males regulated to Queues which are basicly longish ponytails, that was standard uniform.

Jennifer is also right about the shaved heads thing. Men are more defaint and I dare say less disciplined than women when they first come into basic training. Which is why they shave men's heads, women just have to have shoulder length or shorter cut. This is done to humilate the recruit and see him and his buddies as part of the team.]

Also about long hair being used as a weapon. The Japenese all use to have long hair and this was in the day where hand to hand combat was a lot more frequent. The average soldier if he fights will probally never use hand to hand combat, unless he is in a really desperate situation.

Look at the Us Marines website they describe it accurately what they intend to do to  a new recruit. It is to strip the individual who is afraid of death and even more afraid of killing, into a team player killer who can kill without remorse.

Challenge me if I am wrong.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 9:55am

Being a daughter, mother and granddaughter of a soldier I decided to respond.  Over here in Canada a soldier chooses to come or leave in the military and unllike the U.S our women are more involved in the military as we were told by the Americans soldiers.  We do practice with the U.S at times and there are differences.  I truely admire the U.S. Marine.  Thank God for tough people.

Women in the Canadian military keep their hair about shoulder length and always have it in a bun.  It is not common to see a  woman at the front line but they do handle machine gun if the situation is needed.The men do have very short hair but not shaved.  Shaving one hair is causing damage to the body and they would be charged with bodily harm.  If a soldier naturally have a bald head he must protect it with  sun tan lotions etc.  All soldiers do cut their hair very short and noone feels ashame by it because a Canadian soldiers choose to join the army and is very aware that he/she can die as my son, father, grandfather did etc. There is a lot of pride among our soldiers. Long hair does get in the way as it does in our normal lives. I don't know how many times my hair wrap around a button, filing cabinets, seat belts etc.
 Remember all our funny stories and there is no room for hair jamming a machine gun which could easily happen and one wouldnt be able to protect his team mates.
All soldiers wants their country to honour them and none of them thinks that they are better than another human being. Yes one has to remove their emotions a bit but alll soldiers have feelings
to be able to defend their country and when one really thinks about it, they go through hell for us and they should have our respect.
Personally even though I loved my long hair (being bald right now lol) and if I wanted to serve my country cutting my hair wouldn't be a big deal and that makes a soldier ashame then that person has bettter issues in life.
I truely mean that being a long hair woman and now walking in  my front yard having people see me with barely any hair.  It doesn't make a person any less pride of themselves.
Over here there aren't many men with long hair.  Its rare.  Plus I find that many men don't get care of their hair when they do let it grow out. 

Edited by dianefromcanada - May 17 2007 at 10:09am
dianefromcanada
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2007 at 11:26am
Nice topic this

Iam a male with 32 inches long hair. I keep it well maintained and i dont think that it is very difficult to maintain long hair. As some one pointsout lenght of the hair does not determine the gender or otherwise. Iam very comfortable with the length of my hair and so is my wife and she very proudly dresses my hair , her only grudege is that she has hair which is shorter than mine by 2 inches.

I agree that it is very difficult to be on ponly tails. So while on job iam on a pony tail or i wear a bun, but when iam at home i experiment it with a lot of other styles, which may be considered feminine generally. i think it depends on the individual
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 1:12pm
There have been almost 4,000 visits to this thread and yet, only 38 comments. What gives?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic