Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beards Or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beards Or Not?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:38pm
Should your employer tell you if you can wear a beard or not? This article was just on the news:Hows this for a hair politics issue?The Cincinnati Reds dropped one of their most distinctive and most widely questioned policies recently, allowing players to have facial hair for the 1999 season.Former Reds general manager Bob Howsam enacted the ban in 1967, insisting his team maintain a clean-shaven look during the decade of long hair. It became so ingrained in club history that only owner Marge Schott had the authority to reverse it.She did so on Monday after talking to Vaughn, who lobbied hard to keep his goatee after he was traded to the Reds from San Diego on Feb. 2.``He reminded me that Schottzie (her dog) and I met him last year when he wasin town,'' Schott said. ``I told him I wanted to see him hit 50 home runs again this year and create additional enthusiasm for our fans throughout the1999 season.''The Reds had one of the most restrictive hair policies in the major leagues. The Arizona Diamondbacks also prohibit facial hair, but manager Buck Showalter has said that newcomer Randy Johnson can keep his mustache and long hair.Other teams limit what type of facial hair a player may have.The Reds' rule was so institutionalized that reliever Jim Kern managed to force a trade in 1982 by growing a beard. Reliever Jeff Reardon had to shave off his trademark beard when he became a Red in 1993.A player couldn't even be shown in the media guide with facial hair. When the Reds got Wayne Krenchicki from Baltimore at the start of spring training in 1982, they took an old photograph and whited out his moustache for hisbiography.Vaughn lobbied for the team to drop the rule the day of the trade, saying his two children had never seen him without the goatee. Newspaper columnists took up his cause and fans flooded the club's offices with message of support.``The old rule was very archaic,'' said general manager Jim Bowden, who has a clause in his contract that bars him from changing the hair policy. ``What spoke volumes was that the fans wanted us to remove the facial hair policy. They wrote letters, made phone calls, sent electronic mail, and it wasoverwhelming what the fans wanted.''Vaughn issued a statement thanking Schott, then declined further comment.``I wasn't trying to rewrite any rules,'' Vaughn said. ``I'm just more comfortable with my facial hair. My main focus now is to get ready to help this team compete for a division title.''Shaving mustaches and beards had become a spring ritual for numerous Reds players, who grew them over the winter and had to get rid of them before the first workout in spring training.``I don't think there's any question this has been an issue over the years,'' Bowden said. ``I've been with the Reds since '89. Over the last 11 years, there have been numerous players that wanted to have facial hair. All of themwere respectful and in the end, did what ownership wanted.''Although facial hair will be allowed, players will have to maintain a clean-cut image, Schott said.``I didn't think the facial hair policy was that big of a deal anyway because I've always played clean-shaven,'' said shortstop Barry Larkin, who would sometimes grow facial hair in the offseason. ``I'm sure the organization isgoing to stress a wholesome image, and I know I wouldn't want to get away from that image.''
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:38pm
Ouch! That last comment seems to imply that long hair is not wholesome. Here is a picture of the House of David baseball team. This team was well known during the first part of this century for their bearded, longhaired players. They played in the minor leagues and won most of the games they played. They also were popular for some of the tricks they did, such as hiding the ball under their beards.Related Link:Click here for more on the House of David Baseball Team
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:38pm
Whoops! I screwed up the link. Try this one instead.Related Link:Click here for more on the House of David Baseball Team
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
Hey Victor,I personally applaud the decision to let the guys grow facial hair. What an archaic decision that was to restrict them from having facial hair. I think it was a great move in the right direction. I may even cheer them on this season. :-) Nah...I am still a St. Louis Cardinals fan. :-)> Whoops! I screwed up the link. Try this one instead.
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
I remember reading an article some time ago that claimed only 12% of women have any sort of liking for facial hair on men. What does everybody think. . .is this true? I personally love it when my boyfriend goes some time without shaving, although much to my dismay he refuses to ever grow a beard. The funny thing is that I'm much more for beards than mustaches, save for the obvious examples like Tom Selleck! :) So tell the truth, ladies: do you prefer your man clean-shaven or with some stubble at the very least? And men, do you prefer being clean-shaven or with beard/mustache/goatee?
Ruth Ann View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruth Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
I like guys with goatees...not beards or mustaches, but goatees.
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
I absolutely LOVE facial hair on a man. It makes kissing so much more wonderful (in my opinion) and I am a big fan of kissing. I love soft beards, mustaches and any type of facial hair. But then I love long hair on men too.Great question. :-)Karen> I remember reading an article some time ago that> claimed only 12% of women have any sort of liking for> facial hair on men. What does everybody think. . .is> this true? I personally love it when my boyfriend goes> some time without shaving, although much to my dismay> he refuses to ever grow a beard. The funny thing is> that I'm much more for beards than mustaches, save for> the obvious examples like Tom Selleck! :) So tell the> truth, ladies: do you prefer your man clean-shaven or> with some stubble at the very least? And men, do you> prefer being clean-shaven or with> beard/mustache/goatee?
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
> But then I love long hair on men too.ABSOLUTELY!!! My desire is for my hair to be as long as my boyfriend's at our wedding in two years! :) LOL!
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
Sometimes I like when my husband grows a beard, but generally I prefer him clean shaven. He looks much cleaner and boyish/innocent.But I absolutely hate goaties. I have always likened it to a female who shaves her legs, but doesn't shave her knees and lets only the hair on her knees grow. Pretty dumb, huh? I don't really care for cheesy mustasches either--it looks too much like a teenager who is trying to pass for an older man. If you are going to shave, shave it ALL. If you're going to let it grow, let ALL of it grow. That's just my opinion!
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
OK...I get dibs on publishing the photos. :-) We do have a Wedding Gallery. :-)Karen> ABSOLUTELY!!! My desire is for my hair to be as long> as my boyfriend's at our wedding in two years! :) LOL!
Sarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Ah yessssssssssssssssssss. Awesome.> I like guys with goatees...> not beards or mustaches, but goatees.
Sarah Brooke
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
> OK...I get dibs on publishing the photos. :-) We do> have a Wedding Gallery. :-)> KarenAbsolutely!!! :) I'm sure that most of my EXTREMELY conservative relatives will be making snide remarks about his hair length, but once again, they're creatively-challenged!
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
> Personally, I like moustaches and do not like a heavy, course beard. ( Recently,I met a man with a beard who trims it on a regular basis and actually conditions it as he should.) Goatees can be extremely sexy, but once again, they should be cared for tremendously.I have a neighbor who has a gorgeous silver-grey beard along with silver snow on his head. It's the first man's beard that I have genuinely liked.I can't say that I like razor stubble. It hurts when you want to kiss someone's cheek:) If a man's beard is heavy, stubble can look like dirt on the face.Bye for now,Jade21I remember reading an article some time ago that> claimed only 12% of women have any sort of liking for> facial hair on men. What does everybody think. . .is> this true? I personally love it when my boyfriend goes> some time without shaving, although much to my dismay> he refuses to ever grow a beard. The funny thing is> that I'm much more for beards than mustaches, save for> the obvious examples like Tom Selleck! :) So tell the> truth, ladies: do you prefer your man clean-shaven or> with some stubble at the very least? And men, do you> prefer being clean-shaven or with> beard/mustache/goatee?
Dave Ruiz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Ruiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> Should your employer tell you if you can wear a beard> or not? This article was just on the news:> Hows this for a hair politics issue?> The Cincinnati Reds dropped one of their most> distinctive and most widely questioned policies> recently, allowing players to have facial hair for the> 1999 season.> Former Reds general manager Bob Howsam enacted the ban> in 1967, insisting his team maintain a clean-shaven> look during the decade of long hair. It became so> ingrained in club history that only owner Marge Schott> had the authority to reverse it.> She did so on Monday after talking to Vaughn, who> lobbied hard to keep his goatee after he was traded to> the Reds from San Diego on Feb. 2.> ``He reminded me that Schottzie (her dog) and I met> him last year when he wasin town,'' Schott said. ``I> told him I wanted to see him hit 50 home runs again> this year and create additional enthusiasm for our> fans throughout the> 1999 season.''> The Reds had one of the most restrictive hair policies> in the major leagues. The Arizona Diamondbacks also> prohibit facial hair, but manager Buck Showalter has> said that newcomer Randy Johnson can keep his mustache> and long hair.> Other teams limit what type of facial hair a player> may have.> The Reds' rule was so institutionalized that reliever> Jim Kern managed to force a trade in 1982 by growing a> beard. Reliever Jeff Reardon had to shave off his> trademark beard when he became a Red in 1993.> A player couldn't even be shown in the media guide> with facial hair. When the Reds got Wayne Krenchicki> from Baltimore at the start of spring training in> 1982, they took an old photograph and whited out his> moustache for his> biography.> Vaughn lobbied for the team to drop the rule the day> of the trade, saying his two children had never seen> him without the goatee. Newspaper columnists took up> his cause and fans flooded the club's offices with> message of support.> ``The old rule was very archaic,'' said general> manager Jim Bowden, who has a clause in his contract> that bars him from changing the hair policy. ``What> spoke volumes was that the fans wanted us to remove> the facial hair policy. They wrote letters, made phone> calls, sent electronic mail, and it was> overwhelming what the fans wanted.''> Vaughn issued a statement thanking Schott, then> declined further comment.> ``I wasn't trying to rewrite any rules,'' Vaughn said.> ``I'm just more comfortable with my facial hair. My> main focus now is to get ready to help this team> compete for a division title.''> Shaving mustaches and beards had become a spring> ritual for numerous Reds players, who grew them over> the winter and had to get rid of them before the first> workout in spring training.> ``I don't think there's any question this has been an> issue over the years,'' Bowden said. ``I've been with> the Reds since '89. Over the last 11 years, there have> been numerous players that wanted to have facial hair.> All of them> were respectful and in the end, did what ownership> wanted.''> Although facial hair will be allowed, players will> have to maintain a clean-cut image, Schott said.> ``I didn't think the facial hair policy was that big> of a deal anyway because I've always played> clean-shaven,'' said shortstop Barry Larkin, who would> sometimes grow facial hair in the offseason. ``I'm> sure the organization is> going to stress a wholesome image, and I know I> wouldn't want to get away from that image.''I think it's ridiculous that when you are working you have to shave. People think it's so politically incorrect to have facial hair. Specially when you are making that much money people shouldn't tell you how to look. I wish Greg Vaughn a lot of luck this season and hope he hits another 50 homers. As for the Reds organization I think it sucks and I hate Marge Schott. She is a mean, biggoted, small-minded windbag old fart. Long live facial hair!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic