Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Taking Hair Growing Products Cheating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Franklin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Taking Hair Growing Products Cheating
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
There is so much press about the "hair growing" products on the market such as Viviscal and super hair vitamins. I am not sure if they really work, although Regina's first review seems to indicate that they do, at least for her.My question, is this sort of like "cheating" or an "unethical" way of growing long hair rather than doing it the old fashioned way? Or am I just being really picky?I always wonder what people think when they read about these "super fast growing" pills.
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
> My question, is this sort of like "cheating"> or an "unethical" way of growing long hair> rather than doing it the old fashioned way? Or am I> just being really picky?I don't believe it's cheating in the least, and I didn't think so *before* I started taking Viviscal, either. Is it cheating to take vitamin supplements when you don't get the necessary nutrients in your diet? I don't think so. Yet I do think that I would feel I were cheating if I used hair extensions. . .I don't care what I do so as to grow my hair faster, but to wear something other than my hair on my head makes me distinctly uncomfortable. So go figure! :)
Dan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
Yeah, it's cheating all right. Quit cheating or I'll narc!Seriously, though, how safe is this stuff? I've seemed to have read somewhere that it hasn't been approved by the F.D.A. Please inform me if this is not so.
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
These pills are safe so far as I've experienced, and so far as checking out the ingredients. You may be thinking of the disclaimer: on the box (as on all vitamin boxes that I've seen), it says that the statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. The typical drill: "This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease." This does not mean that the product doesn't work -- Regina and I are proof that it does! :)
Tina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Share please. I read Regina's review but I would love to hear your experiences. I want to cheat in the worst way. Please spill the beans on this miracle grower.Tina> These pills are safe so far as I've experienced, and> so far as checking out the ingredients. You may be> thinking of the disclaimer: on the box (as on all> vitamin boxes that I've seen), it says that the> statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. The> typical drill: "This product is not intended to> diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."> This does not mean that the product doesn't work --> Regina and I are proof that it does! :)
that is a hair DON'T
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
So what do you say...how about doing a review for HB like Regina just did? I would love to offer additional feedback. We are a "break even" site, but I do pay a "thank you" fee. Email me if you are interested. :-)Karen> These pills are safe so far as I've experienced, and> so far as checking out the ingredients. You may be> thinking of the disclaimer: on the box (as on all> vitamin boxes that I've seen), it says that the> statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. The> typical drill: "This product is not intended to> diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."> This does not mean that the product doesn't work --> Regina and I are proof that it does! :)
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
I don't really understand why trying to make your hair grow faster would even be considered cheating. What harm would be done if you try to grow your hair faster. Who or what exactly would you be cheating? Nature? Other people? I don't get it.Just like H. Taylor said, do you cheat when you take supplements to help your body? NO Do you cheat when you work out to help strengthen your body? NO Do you cheat when you wear make-up? NOThese are all things that are based on a personal decision. If you feel comfy with enhancing the growth rate of your hair then go for it. I'm sure there are worse things to be feelign guilty over that hair growth!As far as the product Vivscal and any other hair product is concerned, the only true way you'll know whether or not it works is to try it! Good Luck Tina if you decide to go for it!Regina
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
As usual, Regina, you summed it up very nicely! :) You also brought up a good point about wearing makeup -- and I know many people who would argue that it *is* cheating to do so. My response is that I can go bare-faced if I so wish; I'm certainly comfortable enough to do so. However, I sometimes see my bare face as a canvas of sorts, and cosmetics as my medium for facial art. The same could be said of hair. These are all forms of individual expression, for which people shouldn't be judged.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
>Hi!I have to agree with the majority this time. No cheating with the supplements or miracle grows. Viviscal and the supplements help to maximize your growth potential. Cheating is definitely the extensions:)Dan, don't you know there are a lot good things not approved by the FDA? :)Bye for now,Jade21Yeah, it's cheating all right. Quit cheating or I'll> narc!> Seriously, though, how safe is this stuff? I've seemed> to have read somewhere that it hasn't been approved by> the F.D.A. Please inform me if this is not so.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
Also well put, H.Taylor! I don't think taking mucsle builders(protein drinks, etc.) is cheating by men who want bigger mucsles. Is medicine cheating nature out of making you sick? I think whatever one is comfortable doing, likeRegina said, is what one should do. I just hope Viviscal is o.k. for women because someone (a chemist, I believe) wassaying on a mailing list that hormones in the supplement(which she believed there were) could interfere with women's own hormones as well as birth control methods, etc.Not to scare people off of it, but it should be considered, because the tests they did were on MEN only, so I thought this should be pointed out.
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
Holly,I am very interested in the comment you made regarding Viviscal and women's hormones! Do you remember where you read the mailing list or heard about it because I'd love to see it too! Let me know because it sounds like valuable info for all women using Viviscal!Regina
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
> Holly,> I am very interested in the comment you made regarding> Viviscal and women's hormones! Do you remember where> you read the mailing list or heard about it because> I'd love to see it too! Let me know because it sounds> like valuable info for all women using Viviscal!> ReginaHi, Regina!I read your article and enjoyed it immensely. I just went back and read Holly's comment. I know that you included a list of the ingredients in Viviscal in your article. The major component is some type of "marine" concentrate. I would be interested if you simply inquired from the manufacturer about the hormones, if they would tell you. Are the hormones a derivative of the marine concentrate or are they added artificially? Regardless of the tests being limited to men, I would think that they would disclose the interruption with hormones and birth control methods to avoid potential lawsuits.All the best,Jade21
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
Hey Jade21,I never heard of Viviscal containing any type of hormone. I agree that it seems like the company would have included them in the ingredients to avoid backlash from consumers.I am waiting for Holly to let me know where she heard about the hormones in Viviscal because it wasn't included in any of the info the company sent me on the product (unless i skipped something). Once I find out something I'll be sure to post it.Regina
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
Regina, Jade.The comment re: hormones was made on the mailing list of The Long Hair Site (TLHS) by a biochemist. No categoric statement was made that Viviscal DOES contain hormones. But it was said that the product is made of a fish derivative which could mean among other things that it contains fish protein, fats or hormones. The person who posted the message was simply wondering about the possible effect that these might have.I have not verified this information re: what Viviscal does or does not contain... perhaps you could comment Regina on what the information supplied with the product says about it containing a fish derivative.Paul
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
>Hi, Regina!Thanks for keeping us posted. I am so glad that your experience with the product has been good so far. It seems like there is a group of Viviscal warriors forming. That's very ambitious. I know you all will have some serious chats.:)Take care and bye for now,Jade21Hey Jade21,> I never heard of Viviscal containing any type of> hormone. I agree that it seems like the company would> have included them in the ingredients to avoid> backlash from consumers.> I am waiting for Holly to let me know where she heard> about the hormones in Viviscal because it wasn't> included in any of the info the company sent me on the> product (unless i skipped something). Once I find out> something I'll be sure to post it.> Regina
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
>Hi, Paul!I'm glad that you posted your comments. It's quite different than what Holly posted just above.Bye for now,Jade21Regina, Jade.> The comment re: hormones was made on the mailing list> of The Long Hair Site (TLHS) by a biochemist. No> categoric statement was made that Viviscal DOES> contain hormones. But it was said that the product is> made of a fish derivative which could mean among other> things that it contains fish protein, fats or> hormones. The person who posted the message was simply> wondering about the possible effect that these might> have.> I have not verified this information re: what Viviscal> does or does not contain... perhaps you could comment> Regina on what the information supplied with the> product says about it containing a fish derivative.> Paul
Regina View Drop Down

PAUL,I READ OVER THE PAMPHLETS THAT CAME WITH THE PILLS AND DIDN'T SEE ANY MENTION OF HORMONES. STILL CURIOUS, I SEARCH AROUND ONTHE INTERNET FOR MORE INFO. HERE'S WHAT I FOUND:1. THE FISH DERIVITIVE IS MADE UP OF FISH OIL DERIVED FORM A DEEP SEA NORTH ATLANTIC FISH.2. THE PILLS IS ALSO FORMULATED WITH VITAMIN C AND A MARINE PROTEIN.HOPE THIS HELPSREGINA
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
JADE,That's why I had Paul answer the postings instead of me, because he had read them and I heard them second hand.I wanted to be doubly sure I heard it right. My apologies, I thought it was FOR SURE that it contained hormones-but it hasn't been ruled out either, so I am saying for people to be aware, because I certainly would keep it in mind-not trying to be a scaremonger, as implied.Holly
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:42pm
Jade,The reason my posting was different to what Holly posted was that like she said, she had heard it second hand, and I had read the original message. When we both checked against the original message, we felt that we should point out that it wasn't categorically stated that Viviscal did contain fish hormones, although it was felt it was something worth checking in relation to women's health. Since my post, Regina has looked at the ingredients and clarified some of the constituents.I just thought it worth explaining why it sounded different from Holly's post.Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic