Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guys with traditionaly feminine styles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ricc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 10:51am
Well, Jennifer, I've dealt with the "get a haircut" grinches several times over the years and I can give you some advice. People (especially negatively oriented people) are always going to respond to any change in your appearance. However, it doesn't last. After a time they get used to you looking different and hassling you about the same thing becomes boring.

How you respond to such remarks can make a difference. If you always frown and argue you're biting their bait. Just say nothing in response. Just look bored. Either walk away from them or move on to another topic. If they insist on talking about your hair, just say it's not an issue for discussion and you won't be talking about it anymore.

You can minimize such comments, too, by taking the effort to make sure your hair looks as good as possible all the time. This is tricky while growing hair out. Most people go through what's called an "awkward phase" with hair growing. I think the best solution for this is to just keep it out of the way as well as possible. Slick it back with gel, wear a headband or hat-- something. The good news is the awkward phase shouldn't last very long.

Just as soon as your hair reaches the right length, get a quality cut in a really good looking familiar style. It really doesn't matter if it's a men's or a women's style, in my experience. When you have a good hairstyle that fits your features well and you look good in a relatively common way, people tend to accept this as your look.

Give it another try and stick it out. I'm pretty sure you'll find it was worth bearing a couple of grouchy remarks.

Edited by Ricc - July 14 2012 at 10:56am
jennifer_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 3:15am
Ricc,
Thanks for your reply. I have my mind set on letting my hair grow so that I can have it cut in the style that I have always wanted, a jaw length bob with bangs. I'm sure I have some tough days ahead if the past is any indicator. I think I will have to have a couple of trims in between to keep my hair neat but I'm letting it grow. I can't wait to sit in the salon chair and tell the stylist that I want a feminine jaw length bob with bangs and I definitely can't wait to feel my bob swing when I turn my head. Oh and i take great care of my hair. I was and style it everyday. I'm going for the girls bob with bangs. Everyone please help me with support, styles, and tips/suggestions. Thanks
BobbedAtLast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbedAtLast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 8:37am
I'll tell you what I did when I got my bob.  My hair was about shoulder length after cutting it from midback length--I think I had a easier route than you since I was going shorter. (Most people commented that I had gotten my hair cut, not gotten it bobbed.)  I took in some pix of what I wanted, a few off the web (see www.coolbobs.com for zillions of images), showing the side view of the angle I wanted, the stacking in the back, overall length.  You would want to add pix of the bangs you want.  I searched around and found a young, female stylist in a small, 4-chair shop with dividers so it was somewhat private. I was lucky in that we had a blizzard that day and I and my stylist were the only ones in there!  I had checked her out on Facebook to see she was young and hip--you don't want to try to convince a guy or an older woman that you want a bob!  She should be "on your side"--she wants your business and wants to make you happy.

I have found that wearing a bob is no big deal.  I have never gotten a bad comment and have gotten some complements.  You just have to wear it with confidence and you will love it.  You have only one life--live yours and not theirs.

Do it!  Enjoy it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 7:21pm
I wish my hair were that long now or at least long enough to get it cut in a bob. I have the midset, I think, to do it but I have to go through the growing out process first and that is where I have always had problems with "your a guy get a haircut" and "your hair is too lng for a guy get it cut". That will be my biggest problem for a few months but if I can get ideas and advice on how to get through that I will definitely get my hair cut in the jaw length feminine bob with bangs that I have wanted all of my life and I will be able to enjoy the feel of it and the swing of it when I turn my head. So like I have asked before I need advice on how to get through that and which bob styles are the MOST fem because I don't want to be able to hide the fact that I have a feminine cut once I get that bob with bangs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbedAtLast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 8:39am
If you can't get through the awkward grow-out phase and comments you get what will you do with comments about your bob?  I think what you need to do is to take some pix of your target cut to a stylist and tell her you need help in getting there with transition styles that will always look good at any point along the way.  You need a pro to help you through that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 3:00am
Once I have the bob there will be non going back so I won't care what people say. Besides, then I will have the confidence to just swing my bob and tell them they are just jealous. I do plan on doing as you said and going to a nice younger girl if I can find one and letting her take me through the growing out with transitional cuts. I already have several pictures of bobs that I like. I'm going to let her help me pic the one that will be best for my features and hopefully she will get me there with great cuts that look more and more fem each time until I get the fem bob of my dreams. I can't wait to get there and get the bob so it swings and bounces each time I turn my head. And a bob that no one will mistake for a guys cut.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 3:04am
After I have the feminine bob with bangs there will be nothing they can say that will bother me. I will have the confidence to swing my bob and tell them they are just jealous. I do plan to try to find a young stylist that will help me with transitional cuts that hopefully get more fem each time. I have several pictures and I want her to help me choose which one will best suite me. Can't wait to have a fem bob with bangs that swings and bounces each time I turn my head. How do I go about finding the right girl to help me??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbedAtLast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 8:58am
A couple of ideas--find a girl with a bob that looks great and ask who cuts here hair.  Maybe find a couple of them and get a couple of ads.  I tried that but never made the connection because her stylist had just moved out of town.  Then I stumbled on a stylist's ad on a local web site and checked her out by looking at her Facebook page.  She looked cool and so I went with her.  Unfortunately, she just moved a 100 miles away so I may have to change stylists.  You should also join the GuyswithBobs Group on Yahoo--there are lots of pix of guys with bobs. Marcy, in particular, wears bobs that are extremely fem, more than I could get away with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 2:53pm
I have a bob haircut with bangs now. If anyone wants to see pictures they are in Yahoo groups ” guys_bobbed_cuts” in the album called ” My fem bob”. Check them out and let me know what you think. I hope this thread isn't dead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbedAtLast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 7:10pm
That's cute and very fem!  I thought you were getting a longer (jaw length) cut, though.  What's your plan?
jamiejenj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiejenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 8:04am
Do you think I should get a jaw length bob with bangs inverted?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbedAtLast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 2:09pm
Jamie-

Ge the bob.  I love mine.  I have grown it out more and it is now a lob--a long bob that touches my shoulder blades and angles up to a stack in the back.
jamiejenj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiejenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:00am
I have gotten my bob.  its chin length blunt cut with wide blunt bangs. thinking about getting it in a angled bob at my next appt

jamiejenj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiejenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:24pm
I' a guy and I have this straight brown hair cut in a blunt chin length bob with wide blunt bangs. My next salon appt I'm going to get an angled bob with bangs, chin length in front angled to mid ear in back and stacked. I'm sooo excited. My hair will be sooo pretty.
jamiejenj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiejenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 3:28am
I have a salon appt on the 17th of this month. I think I'm going to get an angled bob with wide blunt bangs. chin length in front angled to mid ear in back and stacked. what so all of you think?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 6:22pm
Well I finally have a long bob that I love. My thick brown hair is cut in a one length bob just above my shoulders with bangs. Love the way it looks and swings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbedAtLast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 2:35pm
I started a Facebook Page, Guys with Bobs, for those interested.  See it at
https://www.facebook.com/GuysWithBobs?fref=ts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 9:41pm
Hi. I recently liked your FB page. I really like it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbedAtLast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 11:48am
Thanks.  Unfortunately, Facebook demanded ID for my account that I had created the page under (BobbedGuy).  I am not sure I want to not be anonymous.  Don't know.  So, I can't access and maintain that page now.
PaigeP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaigeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:02pm
Hi, I love the discussion of guys in bobs -- when I first met my BF he was growing his hair out and it had all these layers and was kind of a mess. I got him to go to my stylist and she started trimming it into a cute style and when it got to his shoulders she suggested a chin-length bob. He was reluctant at first but finally agreed after we showed him some photos of bobs that would look good on him. He finally went with the bob about 2 years ago and he absolutely loves it. He usually wears it behind his ears, with a headband, for work, and it looks super-clean and professional, yet feminine. On the weekends I usually set it on rollers for more of a Marilyn Monroe curly bob. Bobbing his hair (and letting me curl it) was a big step for him in embracing a more feminine look and lifestyle. We've been thinking about bangs for him for a while and after seeing Taylor Swift's bob-with-bangs at the Grammys the other night he's finally agreed to go for it! It'll look very girlish but I think he's ready for it. We're getting his bangs cut on Friday. I can't wait!!
Enjoy your bob and don't worry about the haters -- 

Edited by PaigeP - February 17 2016 at 12:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic