Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Long Dangly hair has less of a professional look"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Long Dangly hair has less of a professional look"
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:50pm
> I haven't seen CNN lately, but I remember that they> all seem to have individual styles-there was a long> haired lady(she had brown hair) who anchored the news,> and it does stand out from the cookie cutter newswoman> hairstyles of other networks. Looks better, in my> opinion, as well as the chic, wild cuts that some of> the CNN newswomen had when I last watched it (I live> in France and don't get CNN from America). Whats with> these producers? They should realize the woman looks> better with her own indivduality, and therefore they> would probably get higher ratings. Duh!In Los Angeles, we have several female newspeople with long hair.Channel 13 has Sasha Foo, Tawny Little, Tamara IwerksChannel 11 has Christine Devine, Jillian Barbarie, Dorothy Loosey, Barbara Schroeder, Jane Yamamoto, and Jennifer Bjorkland.Channel 5 has Jennifer York and Sharon TayChannel 9 has Angie CrouchChannel 7 has Linda MaurNBC has Suzanne Malveaux, Soledad Obrien and Maria ShriverCBS has Fredrika WhitfieldI am sure there are others, and of course, Lynne Russell on CNN.The key is to write to the stations and tell them you like getting your news from these ladies better because they wear their hair long. And to send complaints if they cut it.These operations are ratings driven and are sensitive to criticism. The idea is to speak up
C.C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:44pm
David has a point. None of the local newscasters herehave anything longer than the stereotypical behind-the-earsJane Robelot look (a couple have shorter cuts), and it justdoesn't look natural on some of them.Cheers to some of the CNN ladies. I've seen criticismof Lynne Russell's style, but I think it looks very nice.I'm sure she's colored the heck out of it to hide the gray,but the length is very nice and plenty professional.If she's making a statement, more power to her; stay awayfrom the scissors.Toria Tolley used to have longer flowing blond locks withplenty of versatility, until she cut it to grazing theshoulders a couple of years ago, but it's still not a"cookie-cutter" style.Catherine Callaway used to have her grazing-shoulder-lengthblond hair in a dang French twist EVERY single time, untilone day she wore it down. It's like she got the hint, andshe started wearing it down more and more. But in thelast year she went to the "cookie-cutter."The black lady on WGN's news also has a longer style thatlooks nice up or down.Another one of my favorites is QVC's Lisa Robertson,who is letting her brown hair grow out and it looks bettereach time I see it; it always has plenty of "life."---C.C.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:44pm
I haven't seen CNN lately, but I remember that they all seem to have individual styles-there was a long haired lady(she had brown hair) who anchored the news, and it does stand out from the cookie cutter newswoman hairstyles of other networks. Looks better, in my opinion, as well as the chic, wild cuts that some of the CNN newswomen had when I last watched it (I live in France and don't get CNN from America). Whats with these producers? They should realize the woman looks better with her own indivduality, and therefore they would probably get higher ratings. Duh!
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:44pm
NBC has taken this concept to extremes. They seem to be ofthe belief that every female that appears on the "Today" show(weekday or weekend) MUST have her hair tucked behind her ears.Because they ALL do this, I think it looks ridiculous (IMHO).
David M Squires
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:44pm
In my extremely conservative state, most of the female news anchors have "old lady" hairstyles. Even though some of them may have started out with individual styles, whether short or long, the majority end up with the "roller" look, generally above the shoulder. It looks like something right out of my grandmother's era! Teased so that it looks thicker, with tremendous volume on top and on the sides, the hair is just something else. It also adds years to their faces -- and this is done in the name of professionalism?! Ugh.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:43pm
> Hi, David!I have to agree with you. This seems to be standard operating procedure in most major markets.There was a local Washington, DC reporter who received a lot of play from the station because she was obviously very intelligent, but also quite striking. Her hair was the most beautiful blonde color. I usually prefer darker hair, but it looked like sunshine. It was just slightly below her shoulders and quite thick. Imagine a shorter version of Karen's hair.Anyway, she took a vacation for about three weeks. When she returned, her hair was to her ears. It still looked nice, but she was not nearly as striking. One of the male anchors even said on air, " I see your hair took a slight vacation, too." She smiled and so did he, but everyone knew what was going on. She had her hair in this style for nearly a year. Since that time, she hasn't let her hair grow past the nape of her neck.I think it would be nice, especially in broadcasting, if a variety of hair styles were permitted. I can't say that I like the men's hair much. The styles just looked stamped out from one network to the next.Take care...Jade21I would like to know where these TV Producers and News> Directors get off telling a woman how she should wear> her hair. There is this weekend anchor woman who has> long hair (just a couple of inches past her shoulders)> who always has it pinned up, she has worn it down, but> has been told to wear it up. I think a woman should> wear her hair any way that she wants as long as it is> well kept and looks good. I sent an e-mail to her to> ask why she always has it pinned up. The News Director> wrote back that, "We think long dangly hair has> less of a professional look". I have to disagree> with him. She looks much better with her hair down.
david View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:43pm
I would like to know where these TV Producers and News Directors get off telling a woman how she should wear her hair. There is this weekend anchor woman who has long hair (just a couple of inches past her shoulders) who always has it pinned up, she has worn it down, but has been told to wear it up. I think a woman should wear her hair any way that she wants as long as it is well kept and looks good. I sent an e-mail to her to ask why she always has it pinned up. The News Director wrote back that, "We think long dangly hair has less of a professional look". I have to disagree with him. She looks much better with her hair down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic