Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just a few thoughts....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just a few thoughts....
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
I found this message board and web site while searching for a few pictures of women's hairstyles for my wife. I decided to post this message because of some of the discussion threads I have followed. I did not provide an e-mail address because of "spam" considerations, so please post comments or follw-ups to this discussion thread. BTW, don't get angry at this, it is just my opinion....First, as to the question of "hair fetish": lots of people have a fetish for hair. After all, it is very sexy and sensuous, and is often used as an "advertisment" by BOTH genders for sexual arousal. So, it is quite normal to have a fetish for hair, as long as it is not obsessive. Anything that causes one to become obsessive is not good, follow the doctrine of Aristotle: all things in moderation. Many of the people posting to this board obviously have a fetish for hair: they think about it a lot, they post about hairstyles, they worry about hair length, hair health, etc. So what?Second, as to the question of "long vs. short": no problem. It is a personal preference. Men or women, some like it long, some like it short. Some men or women look better with long hair, some with short hair. Some are adamant about how their partner's hair looks, some don't care, or like the change a new hairstyle brings (I am in this catagory). As to one person not "permitting" their partner to have long/short/whatever: if the person that you are involved with doesn't like the style that you choose, maybe you need to think about that. Of course, if your partner is adamant, and it doesn't bother you to comply, then factor that into the situation.Third, as to the question of "business styles" or "practicality": again, it depends upon the situation. Some business cultures just don't approve of ANYTHING that "rocks the boat", purple hair, mowhawks, too long, too short, etc. Other business are more permissive. Just like people, businesses have cultures and personalities. As to practicality: short is better if you work around heavy machines, unless you are very careful. I saw a couple of posts where women had long hair caught in a machine: you are lucky that you were not injured! If work conditions are not an issue, then the personal preference of wearing hair in pony tails or buns may make one person think that long hair is "easier", but the "wash and go" short hairstyles may appeal to others. Also, as to "practical": I saw a few posts where women had things happen like getting hair caught in plants or falling into their food or such. This is probably the reason that some businesses don't "approve" of hair that they consider "too long"....it is just seen as "impractical" or "unbusinesslike". Of course, men's ties get into their food all the time, so this is a good reason to ban ties (also, they are just a hassle!).Now, as to my personal prefernces (just to get a discussion going ;-): I like just about ALL styles on women, as long as hair is HEALTHY. Being a man, I don't really have an opionion about men's styles, except my own. Right now it is buzzed to about 1/2 inch all over, I do it myself to avoid going to "stylists" who overcharge and never really gave me what I wanted. My wife likes it just fine. Up until last year it was kind of long and straggly, and at 20$ per cut, I was getting kind of tired of paying to be unhappy with the results (several different stylists). So, I bought electric clippers and just buzzed it to a "brush cut". My wife says it makes me look sexy; she said she never realized how the shape of my head looked!My wife has always changed her look over the years: we have been married for almost 14 years, and in that time she has gone from long-to-short-to-long-to-short again three times. Right now she is growing it out. Up until this last summer in 1998 it was long, down to her mid-back. She is of Iberian/Mediterranean descent, so she has really pretty hair: deep brunette, very healthy and shiny. She decided that she wanted a short hairstyle, so we looked at pictures until she decided on the "Dorothy Hammil" style from the 1970's (a short wedge haircut). While we were in Atlanta, we made an appointment at the Vidal Sassoon salon, and she made the "big change". I got to sit right next to her while she got it cut...the stylist was great. He was very considerate, he went very slowly into the cut, not being too quick or drastic. Watching him work was really a joy, he was very skilful and had an artist's touch. Of course, cutting that much hair was a BIG deal....lots of people in the salon were gawking and looking. It was pretty amazing to watch as he transformed my wife's hair from long and full to the short geometric cut. Watching my wife's expression was priceless: she kept her eyes shut the whole time until he was finished, then opened them up to see the new look, and she did look great! The most shocking moment for me was when he finished one side and unpinned the other side: the contrast between the short gemometric cut on one side and the long, thick, full hair on the other was quite amazing.I guess that seeing my wife's look change over the years is really what I like the best: the thought of her keeping the same hairstyle for years is not appealing to me, I like it when she changes, even things like this big change.Afterwards, we bought her new diamond and ruby earrings (first time in several years that I could see her ears!) and two new dresses. The experience was worth every penny of the cost of the haircut and the new jewlery and clothes.I guess the moral is that people should not be afraid of the big change that a new hairstyle will bring. I think that my wife looks great with long hair or short hair, and I encourage her to always try new styles. She approves of my changes too, even my new short buzz cut.
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Lurker, your post was wonderful! Thank you for sharing with us!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic