Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

good hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good hair
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
I guess people took my question the wrong way and I must say that I did not explain what I meant directly enough. When I say good hair- I meant being an African American woman and having people tell me your hair roots are nice and wavy. After they say this, they tell me that I must be mixed with Indian. I am very happy to have nice hair and yes I do think of people who do not have hair,especially the children. I am not getting vain. I just wanted to know why do people make that stereotype. I am not bragging about the compliments on my hair. My simple question is why do we make that stereotype?
The present is the past tomorrow. :)
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
People living in different parts of Arfica look different so it makes sence that African Americans do too. I am of mixed ethnicity and people are always try to guese 'what I am'. I try to just think of myself as unique and take their comments as inocent curiosity.Also, it seems to me that some African American women use more chemicals in their hair than others. This can damage even the best hair. I have heard that there is pressure within the African American community for women to have stick straight hair, even if that means giving up the healthy look of the hair. I think texture, especialy in the roots, is a good thing for all women. If you have it, flaunt it and enjoy the compliments, even the ignorant ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic