Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Regard for style is lacking in substance" -- Dear Abby's take

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Regard for style is lacking in substance" -- Dear Abby's take
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
The following is an excerpt from "Dear Abby" in today's newspaper (June8, 1999. Copyright Universal Press Syndicate) in response to a previousletter from "Loving Granddaughter." I've chosen to share just an excerptto limit the length of this post, but it is part of the overall storypresented within Abby's thread of conversation, all of which is compelling."Dear Abby,When my mother was in her 50s, she came to see me to get her hair cut.My father's sister had told her that she was getting too old to wear itlong. I'm sure my aunt was only trying to be helpful and bring Mothera little more up-to-date.I told my mother that it was her hair and that she should wear ithowever she liked it best. The next time I saw her, she had short hair.She had been so afraid of looking foolish to others that she hadn'tthought of the most important person -- herself.Her hairstyle may have been more "modern," but she felt like Sampson.She had always been proud of her long, thick hair but was now tooself-conscious to wear it that way. She kept her hair short after thateven though she didn't like it.I wish my aunt had kept her mouth shut. Hair is only an adornment, andit was much better to see Mother self-confident than stylish."Loving Granddaughter" should be glad that she has a living grandmother.My poor mother passed away about 10 years after that. She had metastaticbreast cancer and lost all her hair from chemo and radiation.-- Motherless Daughter"
David M Squires
Kent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
Dave,Thank you for sharing the quote from the Dear Abby column. I read this on my way into work and planned to share it too. It is a poignant example of how people are coerced into making decisions they later regret.Your message also answered two of my questions, and I didn¹t even have to ask. I wondered if the same Dear Abby column appears in newspapers across the country on the same day. Plus, I was concerned how to quote from the column. You did an excellent job covering that.Thank you for your concern yesterday (about my tiredness) in your response to my message. I am feeling much better today! You are a very kind and considerate young :-) man!I hope everyone reading this has a GREAT (HAIR) DAY!Kent
Kent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic