Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beauty and the Art of Illusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beauty and the Art of Illusion
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
I'd like to take what JM said a few posts back and run with it.JM dyes her hair Kate Winslet red, as I used to do, and she loves it. She says she gets resentful reactions from natural redheads, though. I believe her, because I did too. My very best friend, in fact, was pained by the idea that I could pay to have what she was born with. Whenever people remarked that we were both redheads, she was sure to point out that mine came from a bottle. To this day, she is incredulous and indignant that her high school sweetheart dumped her for a girl named Andrea who had FAKE red hair.A lot of natural blondes are especially touchy about their peroxide counterparts. Do girls with naturally curly hair resent perm customers? Possibly.To those "natural" women who somehow feel threatened by the copycats, I say, "Get over it." Beauty is about artifice and always has been. Even if you take care of your hair by treating it to cherry bark conditioner, you're using something that's external and foreign to the body to improve your appearance. Philosophically, I can't see any difference.What does everyone else think?Ally
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
When I was in high school, I did have naturally light strawberry blonde hair, and it was gorgeous. And I resented it when people would highlight their hair just to look like mine! Since then, I've learned that imitation is the best form of flattery. {grin}However, the only thing that kind of irks me is when people accused me of highlighting my hair when I *didn't*!! About two years ago, I gave in and did put a few light highlights in, but all the red is mine. I really don't mind what people doing whatever they wish with their hair, but I do mind being accused of dyeing it when I don't!I say life is too short to sit around and be miserable with our hair or to sit around and complain about what others do to theirs. I'll do what I want and honestly don't care what others think of it! :-)
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Quite frankly, I would not even let myself to be drawn into a discussion about whether or not my hair was "real." (Other than in Hair Talk, of course:)) Anymore than I would entertain discussion of my body, my personal habits, my jewelry, or whether I'm really wearing pushup bra instead of having the "real" thing. I would show shocked surprise and a silent, open mouthed stare to anyone who would even presume to ask about my personal habits.Why people believe that whatever feelings of curiousity they have, ought to be translated directly into probing questions or unsolicited comments is beyond me. But just because they want to talk about it (under the premise, of course of being 'open' and 'honest' no doubt) doesn't mean you have to. Furthermore, any friend who reveals to others your personal information (which is not her perogative to do so) owes you an apology. Period.Incidently, my mother always said, "If you can't keep your own secrets, don't expect anyone else to either."
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
In Gigi-land all "fake" redheads get extra credit for their hair because they have to work really hard to get it and keep it (I know this because I have had red off and on, and am truly amazed at the upkeep). The others got it the easy way, they were born with it. Fake blondes would get extra credit too, except most of them just lose interest in the whole process, give up and grow 3-inch roots (Been there, done that too). Brunettes...well...does anyone ever become a fake brunette? Hmmm.....
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Gigi, this is how I see it. She was /born/ with her red hair. I had to /work/ for mine. It's not as if I stole something she had to earn.And yes, red is the /hardest/ color to maintain. I didn't last a year. (I have never met a fake brunette....)Ally
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
> . Brunettes...well...does anyone ever> become a fake brunette? Hmmm.....Yes I have met some females that dyed their hair brown but I have met many who dye their hair black.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I find your posts wonderfully refreshing!You sound like a girl who knows how to have fun in life. I like that!
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
> In Gigi-land all "fake" redheads get extra> credit for their hair because they have to work really> hard to get it and keep it...Don't I know it. It's a lot tougher color to retain because of the molecule size. It's funny, when people find out that this red is "created", they are shocked. They tell me that they thought this red was my natural hair color and that my natural hair color (very dark brown) was dyed!(BTW, I've had my hair this color for 9 years, and it's healthy and I've recently grown it to my waist from mid back.)
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
I color my hair brown, but don't tell anyone. I believe it makes me look smart. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic