Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanity and "Truly Enjoying Your Hair"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vanity and "Truly Enjoying Your Hair"
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
I was thinking about something and asked Dave Decker his opinion about it and I think he gave me some excellent advice. I would like to know what others think about this subject.I was worrying about becoming vain with regard to my hair. With the added length, I began to notice that I was checking myself out in the mirror from the back to see what my hair looked like from the back. I wanted to make sure that it looked decent before I left the house. I think what worried me was that I was conscious of doing this. I wondered whether I was becoming a bit vain.In the context of answering my question, Dave basically asked me to do a "self-reality" check which included assessing my own personal traits and such to see if they had changed as well. Then, he introduced the notion of truly enjoying your hair. I was a bit intrigued by this. My response to him was that I was just learning to do this and had never really considered it.Bye for now,Jade21
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
>>>This reminds me of the show I watched today on Jenny Jones. It was about women that think they are so so hot. It was funny because their friend looked better than the ones that thoughts they were hot.So what if you look at yourself before you leave the house. You want to look good. Now if you were checking yourselve every five minutes or so like those women on the talk show then I would say you have problem. It doesn't sound like you have a problem . It sounds pretty normal.learning how to enjoy your hair. That is a topic in itself. The feel of your hair brushing your skin, the feel of its texture etc. All that I am surprise that you haven't experience this .
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
<
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
Jade21,I don't think your new appreciation of your hair is cause for alarm. People who keep a garden tend to it daily. Most people who work out check their bodies in the mirror a lot. They're proud of their efforts and want to mark their progress.Vanity has gone too far if...1. It starts impinging on your lifestyle. For example, you refuse to go out because your hair doesn't look "just so."2. You start to fixate on that one feature and are convinced it never looks good enough. (Or "as good as it /could/.") This turns into depression. You find yourself scrutinizing other people's hair and comparing it to your own, or judging others by their hair.3. You become preoccupied with it at inappropriate times--while driving, for example, or in a board meeting.4. Your friends ask you jokingly--and then seriously--to please talk about something else.5. You engage in passionate debate on an online forum for hair lovers, siding with people named JerkyFlea, Zorak the Frisbee, or Dawn from RareGems.Is anybody there yet? ;)Ally
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic