Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

braid 'nationality'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: braid 'nationality'
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
Hi All,In the UK we call a braid that runs down the back of the head, incorporating strands as you go, a French Braid, in France they call it an Indian Braid (I have no idea if this is Indian as in India or Native American). I have seen a 'normal' braid called an English Braid and one where the strands are crossed middle to outside, as opposed to outside to middle, as a Dutch Braid. On the THLS this week there is a woman who says she wears her head in a Swedish Braid.OK my questions are these:What nationality do YOU use to name various braids?Do you reckon there is any actual link to the counties involved, or is it just a cute way to describe them?andyps I don't think even this board can flame about this issue - and please don't try to prove me wrong :-)
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
I call mine a French braid but I have a question. What do you call a braid that ran along each side of the face only using two strands and then it is nicely attached at the back? I seem that one on someone in a grocery store and it was very nice.
Sally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
I have always heard braids such as you describe called "French braids," and the reversed ones -- where the strands go under rather than over -- were known as "Dutch braids."
Sally
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
Judging from a braid book I bought, that sounds like a reverse roll. (The book was just called "Braids". I don't remember the author.)> I call mine a French braid but I have a question. What> do you call a braid that ran along each side of the> face only using two strands and then it is nicely> attached at the back? I seem that one on someone in a> grocery store and it was very nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic