Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Essential Oil + Other Tips To Fall Asleep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essential Oil + Other Tips To Fall Asleep
    Posted: April 25 2021 at 7:58pm

Essential Oil + Other Tips To Fall Asleep

Essential oils can be a great remedy for helping anyone who struggles with sleep issues to fall asleep faster and deeper.

Combine the essential oil of your choice with the following other sleep tips listed below:

I have tried most of them and I fall asleep instantly by using one of more of the following options:

1.  Take Melatonin
See:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Melatonin

Take sublingual Melatonin - Supplemental melatonin helps regulate circadian rhythms and improve sleep quality, especially when the problem is related to certain sleep disturbances and jet lag. Using melatonin in sublingual tablet (it dissolves under the tongue) allows it to be absorbed quickly into the bloodstream.

Although some people can take up to 5 milligrams of sublingual Melatonin.  It may be best for you to start slow with 2.5.

Always talk with your primary physician before considering taking Melatonin.

2.  Step into a hot shower right before bedtime.
Take a hot bath or shower right before bed to help relax completely and be
ready for bed.

3.  Use Lavender Oil
Put a few drops of Lavender oil in a diffuser in the bedroom. 
Or you can get a lavender spray and spritz on your pillow case and/or bed clothes.

Dab a few drops of essential Lavender Oil (it has to be 100% real, not authentic) on your wrists  Test it first to make sure it doesn't irritate your skin.  If so, mix with a little bit of jojoba oil. 

Or just inhale the oil deeply. 

4.  Wear socks
OR if you don't want to wear socks, use a hot water bottle which offer gentle heat for easy sleeping.  Studies have shown that when feet are toast, sleep is easier.

5.  Say affirmations and/or EFT tapping

Tapping For Deep Sleep
https://wildtreewellness.com/tapping-into-sleep

Sleep Affirmations

Consider saying one of more of the following sample affirmations over and over until you slip off into sleep:

My mind and my body are ready to rest.
I am in my sanctuary and am completely at peace.
My dreams are my place for positivity and hope.
Sleeping is a natural state for me.
I'll enjoy a full night of sleep and look forward to waking up recharged.
Calming thoughts and optimism will fill my dreams  I am in a safe space to sleep.
Stress and worries can't control me.
I let every worry go. 
My eyes are heavy and tired.  My body and I deserve a good night of rest.
Calming thoughts and optimism will fill my dreams.
I am grateful for this bed. 
I am thankful for this day. 
I am looking forward to tomorrow.
I choose sleep, rest, peace, and relaxation over stress and worry/
I am
healthy and I will thank my body with a good night of rest.
Mindfulness is my priority.
My sleep calms me and recharges me for a better tomorrow.

6.  Make a list of whatever is bothering you, rip it up and flush it.
This allows your mind to avoid worrying about any issues which are bothering you.

7.  Do some deep breathing.

Begin the breath work with normal abdominal inhalations and exhalations.  Always keep the breath cyclic, do not pause between breaths.  Continue breathing for an extended period of time. 

This may be 10 minutes, 20 minutes or longer. 

At some point you may experience an almost reflexive - type of breath (see list below).  If this occurs simply perform that type of breath. 

If you begin to feel fatigue, go back to the normal abdominal breath until you have recovered. 

Then return to the reflexive breath pattern you were doing previously.  Find a rhythm and pace which feel comfortable.

Type Of Breaths

Abdominal breath:  This should be your normal every day breathing pattern, except in this case do not pause between inhale and exhale.
Panting breath:  A short shallow breath through the nose, a "crying" reflex.
Exercise, breath:  The depth of breath you would do with moderate exercise.  Do not over exert yourself.
Yawning breath:  As deep a breath you can do without exerting force to the point that you feel yourself tightening up or fighting the breath.

8.  Repeat a meditation mantra over and over (it's like counting sheep but better).

9.  Wear a comfy sleep mask to block out all of the light.

10.  Use a white noise machine.
Some things work for some people but not ALL so experiment.

11.  Listen to sleep music.

Binaural beats, White Noise, Delta Waves and baby sleep music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pOby58rGw0

Lavender Essential Oil & Insomnia
Several studies have shown lavender essential oil may help promote sleep and fight insomnia.

A Study Found Lavender Essential Oil Helped College Students Get A Better Night's Sleep

A 2015 study published in the Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine found a combination of sleep hygiene techniques and lavender essential oil therapy helped college students get a better night's sleep than sleep hygiene alone.

The study of 79 students with self-reported sleep problems also found inhaling lavender at bedtime improved daytime energy and vibrancy.

A 2018 study published in Holistic Nursing Practice confirms lavender's effect on sleep. In this study of 30 residents of a nursing home, lavender aromatherapy was found to improve sleep onset, quality, and duration in an elderly population.

Potential Problems With Lavender Essential Oil

Lavender essential oil may cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction in some individuals.

If you experience nausea, vomiting, or a headache after using lavender, discontinue use immediately.Because consuming lavender essential oil can have toxic effects, this remedy should not be ingested unless under the supervision of a medical professional.

There is no recommended daily allowance for lavender essential oil.

According to the principles of aromatherapy, breathing in the scent of lavender essential oil or applying lavender essential oil to the skin transmits messages to the limbic system, a brain region known to influence the nervous system and help regulate emotion.

Applying Lavender Oil Directly To The Skin With Carrier Oil

One popular approach involves combining lavender oil with a carrier oil (such as jojoba or sweet almond).

Once blended with a carrier oil, lavender essential oil can be massaged into your skin or added to your bath.You can also sprinkle a few drops of lavender essential oil onto a cloth or tissue and inhale its aroma, or add the oil to an aromatherapy diffuser or vaporizer.

NyQuilPM OR Similar But Only In An Emergency
Although considered dangerous when taken long term, a little bit of NyQuil PM will help in an emergency (not sleeping for 2 nights).  It should never be taken long term and since you were treated for cancer at one point you may want to ask your physician if it's okay.

Other Sleep Tips

• When possible, go to sleep at the same time each night, and get up at the same time each morning, even on the weekends.
  • Sleep no more than 2 hours later on weekend mornings than on weekday mornings
  • Don't take naps after 3 p.m, and don't nap longer than 20 minutes.
  • Avoid drinking lots of liquids after 5 pm so you're not kept awake by needing to use the rest room.
  • Stay away from caffeine and alcohol late in the day.  Especially after 3 pm.  It will disrupt natural sleep patterns.
  • Avoid nicotine completely, especially close to sleep time.
  • Get regular exercise, but not within 2-3 hours of bedtime.
  • Don't eat a heavy meal late in the day. A light snack before bedtime is OK.
  • Make your bedroom comfortable, dark, quiet, and not too warm or cold.
  • Follow a routine to help you relax before sleep (for example, reading or listening to music).
  • Turn off the TV and other screens at least an hour before bedtime.
  • Don’t lie in bed awake. If you can’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, do something calming until you feel sleepy, like reading or listening to soft music.
  • Avoiding screen time at least an hour before bed.
  • Writing in a diary or on a to-do list just before sleep, to reduce stress
  • Make a list of all the things you are worrying about.  Write down everything.  I mean everything.  Then release the list and burn it, tear it up, cut it up or flush it.

Other options include:

• Pressure Points For Insomnia
    https://www.healthline.com/health/pressure-points-for-sleep#spirit-gate

Talk with a doctor if you continue to have trouble sleeping.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic