Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Waxing Away - Poetically That Is - Well Sort Of
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waxing Away - Poetically That Is - Well Sort Of

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waxing Away - Poetically That Is - Well Sort Of
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
Hi All,I have been silently lurking on all the boards lately (this is my favorite :-) and wanted to share some things (mainly for me) about what is currently happening to my hair.About 1 year ago I started getting these odd physical symptoms like getting tired on my normal 4 hours of sleep (I have been on 4 hours since I was 2 years old). I would actually sleep 8-10 hours which was NOT normal for me. I also started getting really cold hands and feet and other odd things as well as my hair started acting a little funny.The good news is that I was recently diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism and required to take thyroid medication. The bad news is that my hair is changing and becoming extremely dry and thinner. I have never had hair as thick as Noreen's but definitely pretty full.Now it seems very fragile to me. My stylist Shelley has been watching it with me and agrees that it is definitely changing in texture. She has been coming up with all sort of suggestions on how to work with my hair.Now here is the dilemna. Do I continue to take the thyroid medication and risk the future of my hair (which is a few inches below my waist) or do I stop? Do I take the meds and if the worst happens...cut it off? Or at least cut it to the appropriate level to contain any damage?Yes I am doing EVERYTHING possible that I can think of. I am doing Aveda Beautifying Oil treatments, Basil oil massages (which helped the last time my hair acted up) and I am having the ends faithfully trimmed to prevent splitting. I am taking EFAs and primrose oil and VitE and doing daily scalp massages. I am also taking H37 hair vitamins which (maybe it is in my head) seems to help a little bit????The doctor claims that my hair will stop acting weird and settle down soon. Or maybe not. He doesn't seem quite sure although he is sure that I must continue the meds.My accupuncturist is working on my scalp every week and thinks this may be temporary. Or maybe not. UGH. He agrees that I need the meds too.At any rate, Jeff thinks that maybe I am going through this latest hair trauma because I can again pioneer the experience. :-) Trust me, I would rather not.So if anyone has any suggestions or comments, I would love to hear them. I want to thank you all for your wonderful posts. I love reading this board. It is so thought provoking and insightful.It is so good to see so many of my friends here that I miss from Frank's list that I had to unsubscribe from due to other time constraints.Thanks for letting me wax about this. I love my long hair and have spent the last 10 years growing it. It is very sad and scary to watch it go through these changes. Maybe everything will be OK and it will recover just fine. Maybe not.I guess only time and patience will tell.Hugs to everyone here.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
Hi Karen,I was so sorry to hear about the trouble you have been having! I have a few ideas having survived multiple dastardly deeds in the '80's, but my husband had some even better ideas (he is a Ph.D. Chemist). He says:Ones hair is a chemical record of everything that is happening in its body. This is why hair can be used for drug tests: it shows when and what a person has used.You report having these symptoms for a year. For a year, the problems of this chemical imbalance has been showing up in your hair. The good news is, if you are on the right meds, the imbalance will be corrected (a blood test can determine this), and your hair will return to its previous strength. The bad news is, this only affects the new hair growing out. However, please stay on the meds to keep the problem from getting worse!Amino acids can be a good counterbalance to the existing damage, because they help your follicles produce the proteins that construct your hair, as well as the proteins and oils that lubricate it. To get the best mileage, take the supplements on an empty stomach. This will help them get absorbed in the intestines where they will do the most good, instead of getting mixed with food and getting broken down in the stomach.OK, thats the scientist-speak. I can only personally report what has worked for me, and I realize that what worked for me may not work for everyone.I can report prior successes with Nexxus' Emergencee as a reconstructive conditioner. I used it every other day when my hair was reeeeally damaged, and it helped quite a bit.I also decided to try Viviscal. I have been taking it for two weeks. I think my hair has started to grow a wee bit faster, but the biggest change I have noticed has been with its texture. My hair, skin, and nails are MUCH healthier than they were two weeks ago. My hair is naturally curly, so it has never looked smooth (as you mentioned in a recent article) but it has gotten softer than it ever has been.My husband and I wish you the best of luck. Hang in there, and please ask if my brainy guy can answer any chemistry-related questions for you.Carol
Cher~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
Oh gosh Karen.. I have felt your silence.. I just thought you were busy. I hope you stay on your meds and take care of your inner self first.. let's hope your hair returns to it's normal pattern. I know how much it means to you.. I have been there, done that with losing length out of my control.. I am hoping your situation works out, as well. My warmest regards.. Cher~> I have been silently lurking on all the boards lately> (this is my favorite :-) and wanted to share some> things (mainly for me) about what is currently> happening to my hair.> About 1 year ago I started getting these odd physical> symptoms like getting tired on my normal 4 hours of> sleep (I have been on 4 hours since I was 2 years> old). I would actually sleep 8-10 hours which was NOT> normal for me. I also started getting really cold> hands and feet and other odd things as well as my hair> started acting a little funny.> The good news is that I was recently diagnosed with> hypo-thyroidism and required to take thyroid> medication. The bad news is that my hair is changing> and becoming extremely dry and thinner. I have never> had hair as thick as Noreen's but definitely pretty> full.> Now it seems very fragile to me. My stylist Shelley> has been watching it with me and agrees that it is> definitely changing in texture. She has been coming up> with all sort of suggestions on how to work with my> hair.> Now here is the dilemna. Do I continue to take the> thyroid medication and risk the future of my hair> (which is a few inches below my waist) or do I stop?> Do I take the meds and if the worst happens...cut it> off? Or at least cut it to the appropriate level to> contain any damage?> Yes I am doing EVERYTHING possible that I can think> of. I am doing Aveda Beautifying Oil treatments, Basil> oil massages (which helped the last time my hair acted> up) and I am having the ends faithfully trimmed to> prevent splitting. I am taking EFAs and primrose oil> and VitE and doing daily scalp massages. I am also> taking H37 hair vitamins which (maybe it is in my> head) seems to help a little bit????> The doctor claims that my hair will stop acting weird> and settle down soon. Or maybe not. He doesn't seem> quite sure although he is sure that I must continue> the meds.> My accupuncturist is working on my scalp every week> and thinks this may be temporary. Or maybe not. UGH.> He agrees that I need the meds too.> At any rate, Jeff thinks that maybe I am going through> this latest hair trauma because I can again pioneer> the experience. :-) Trust me, I would rather not.> So if anyone has any suggestions or comments, I would> love to hear them. I want to thank you all for your> wonderful posts. I love reading this board. It is so> thought provoking and insightful.> It is so good to see so many of my friends here that I> miss from Frank's list that I had to unsubscribe from> due to other time constraints.> Thanks for letting me wax about this. I love my long> hair and have spent the last 10 years growing it. It> is very sad and scary to watch it go through these> changes. Maybe everything will be OK and it will> recover just fine. Maybe not.> I guess only time and patience will tell.> Hugs to everyone here.> Karen
C.C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
Karen,I think Carol's husband is right on the mark. About 5 years ago, my husband's older brother was diagnosed with the same problem. His hair started falling out and breaking substantially. His hair is a very noticable (natural) fire-red, so it seemed like everybody noticed the change! A few people asked my husband if he was seriously ill, wondering if he was undergoing chemo.He did respond to the medication, and in about 3 months his hair had returned to normal. God bless, and I hope you have similar luck. My warmest regards go to you.My question for Carol is something I have wanted to ask a married Viviscal user. Do you think it is worth the money? Also...what does your husband think of the concept of $78 dollars a month for hair supplements...or does he know? Please feel free to tell me to mind my own business, I don't mean to pry. I am just curious.My best to you both,C.C.
The OTHER Dawn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The OTHER Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
Hi Karen!You should DEFINITELY take your medication. Your health is worth FAR more than your hair. If people really care about you, they will do so whether or not your hair is long or short and regardless of its condition. I think that we "hair fans" need to keep things in perspective and remember that it is the person INSIDE that matters. Hair is temporary -- sooner or later, no matter how beautiful someone's hair is, age or disease or *something* will take its toll.You'll be in my prayers, Karen. Please don't let this get to you -- there are plenty of people out there in the world who care about you regardless of the state of you hair. Real beauty comes from within!DawnRelated Link:Dawn's Secret Garden
Lynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
Hi Karen,I am in no means an expert, and by now means know anything medical or chemical happening within our bodies. It was just that when reading your post, I thought of my girlfriend, and my hubby's aunt. Both of these parties have been diagnosed with the same. They have both been on their medication for years now. In the beginning when they started with their tyroid pills, they had alot of changes in their bodies and general overall health. Weight change, sleeping patterns, skin, hair, etc. Both of them experienced their weight levelling off, their sleep patterns, and tiredness levelling off, and their skin and hair returning to normal conditions. As stated though, it seemed to be with the new growth rather than the existing hair. It has been five years for my girlfriend and three for my hubby's aunt, and both have beautiful hair, nails, skin, and their weight and sleep is great.I wish you all the best!!!Take good care,Lynn
Lynn G
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
> Now here is the dilemna. Do I continue to take the> thyroid medication and risk the future of my hair> (which is a few inches below my waist) or do I stop?Oh dear....are you honestly willing to risk your *health* over your hair? I have to be brutally honest here -- this, to me, says that you are severely obsessed with your hair. I can absolutely see trying everything that you know to preserve the health of your hair. But when the health of your hair takes precedence over the health of your body, well, that simply isn't mentally healthy. I'm not terribly familiar with thyroid conditions and don't know if they're life-threatening, but if your thyroid condition worsens and your health deteriorites drastically, you'll probably be too ill to even care about your hair.> The doctor claims that my hair will stop acting weird> and settle down soon. Or maybe not. He doesn't seem> quite sure although he is sure that I must continue> the meds.I would encourage you to get second and third medical opinions. Perhaps another doctor has a different medication which wouldn't negatively affect your hair so much.> Thanks for letting me wax about this. I love my long> hair and have spent the last 10 years growing it. It> is very sad and scary to watch it go through these> changes.I can honestly understand this, but we're not talking about caving into any aesthetic pressure here, we're talking about your *health*. If you lose your health, you've lost everything, no matter how much money you have or how much hair you have. Life is precious! We all need to get our priorities in order sometimes.My best to you. :-)
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:10pm
> Oh dear....are you honestly willing to risk your> *health* over your hair? I have to be brutally honest> here -- this, to me, says that you are severely> obsessed with your hair.........I'm not terribly> familiar with thyroid conditions and don't know if> they're life-threatening, but if your thyroid> condition worsens and your health deteriorites> drastically, you'll probably be too ill to even care> about your hair.Note: I will preface this by saying that I am not a MD, so this is just from what I have read in popular literature, and from knowing a person who has a thyroid condition....Yes, I definitely agree with Jena here. I cannot even believe that someone can even equate their hair with their health. Besides, have you ever seen what can happen to someone with hyperthyroidism? It can physically change your body in ways that are not at all appealing. It can cause excess bone growth that can give a person a kind of freakish appearance (hypertrophism). Besides, it can really screw up your body's hormone balance, even can affect your ability to conceive and have children.Is this worth a few inches of hair????> I would encourage you to get second and third medical> opinions. Perhaps another doctor has a different> medication which wouldn't negatively affect your hair> so much.Absolutely get a second or third opinion.> I can honestly understand this, but we're not talking> about caving into any aesthetic pressure here, we're> talking about your *health*. If you lose your health,> you've lost everything, no matter how much money you> have or how much hair you have.Absolutley.Zorak
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
> .....Besides, have you ever seen what can> happen to someone with hyperthyroidism? It can> physically change your body in ways that are not at> all appealing. It can cause excess bone growth that> can give a person a kind of freakish appearance> (hypertrophism). Besides, it can really screw up your> body's hormone balance, even can affect your ability> to conceive and have children.Uhhh, after I posted this I thought that it was kind of rude and insensitive...What I meant was that these are the kinds of consequences that CAN occur if you DON'T TAKE your medications, so by all means, don't ignore your doctor's advice! If you follow his advice, chances are very good that you will be fine and all will be OK.Z.> Is this worth a few inches of hair????> Absolutely get a second or third opinion.> Absolutley.> Zorak
Ice View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Carol,I have been curious about Viviscal and the other supplements that people talk about here.I am would like to know why you decided on Viviscal in the first place. Did you want to grow your hair or repair it? Also, your husband sounds knowledgable, did anything he have to say influence your decision?Also, why Viviscal, and not H-37 or Capilong?Also, Karen, I am sorry to get off the subject. I can't add anything to what has been said, I just hope good things for you.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi,Thank you to you and your husband for a very helpful post.I have been taking H37 and am noticing that it seems to be helping.Contrary to my waxing poetically, I am still taking the meds and hanging in there to see the results. I will agree that my hair does seems to be a little better at the roots although the bottom is still very dry.Yesterday I did a longggggg treatment with ARTec's Moisture Pak and today my hair seems a little better.I have been reading a bunch of Oriental health books and found a few great pieces on helping dry hair.As your husband says, it goes back to the idea that the hair is the definition of the body.Thanks again. I am definitely going to hang in there.Best wishes,Karen> Hi Karen,> I was so sorry to hear about the trouble you have been> having! I have a few ideas having survived multiple> dastardly deeds in the '80's, but my husband had some> even better ideas (he is a Ph.D. Chemist). He says:> Ones hair is a chemical record of everything that is> happening in its body. This is why hair can be used> for drug tests: it shows when and what a person has> used.> You report having these symptoms for a year. For a> year, the problems of this chemical imbalance has been> showing up in your hair. The good news is, if you are> on the right meds, the imbalance will be corrected (a> blood test can determine this), and your hair will> return to its previous strength. The bad news is, this> only affects the new hair growing out. However, please> stay on the meds to keep the problem from getting> worse!> Amino acids can be a good counterbalance to the> existing damage, because they help your follicles> produce the proteins that construct your hair, as well> as the proteins and oils that lubricate it. To get the> best mileage, take the supplements on an empty> stomach. This will help them get absorbed in the> intestines where they will do the most good, instead> of getting mixed with food and getting broken down in> the stomach.> OK, thats the scientist-speak. I can only personally> report what has worked for me, and I realize that what> worked for me may not work for everyone.> I can report prior successes with Nexxus' Emergencee> as a reconstructive conditioner. I used it every other> day when my hair was reeeeally damaged, and it helped> quite a bit.> I also decided to try Viviscal. I have been taking it> for two weeks. I think my hair has started to grow a> wee bit faster, but the biggest change I have noticed> has been with its texture. My hair, skin, and nails> are MUCH healthier than they were two weeks ago. My> hair is naturally curly, so it has never looked smooth> (as you mentioned in a recent article) but it has> gotten softer than it ever has been.> My husband and I wish you the best of luck. Hang in> there, and please ask if my brainy guy can answer any> chemistry-related questions for you.> Carol
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
> Karen,> I think Carol's husband is right on the mark. About 5> years ago, my husband's older brother was diagnosed> with the same problem. His hair started falling out> and breaking substantially. His hair is a very> noticable (natural) fire-red, so it seemed like> everybody noticed the change! A few people asked my> husband if he was seriously ill, wondering if he was> undergoing chemo.> He did respond to the medication, and in about 3> months his hair had returned to normal. God bless, and> I hope you have similar luck. My warmest regards go to> you.> My question for Carol is something I have wanted to> ask a married Viviscal user. Do you think it is worth> the money? Also...what does your husband think of the> concept of $78 dollars a month for hair> supplements...or does he know? Please feel free to> tell me to mind my own business, I don't mean to pry.> I am just curious.> My best to you both,> C.C.Thank you CC. I appreciate the support.I am going to hang in there and see what happens.Best wishes,Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hi Cher,Thanks for the kind words. Yesterday I spent most of the day with ARTec's Moisture Pak on it and it did help. I have been doing head & scalp massages and using Aveda's Beautifying...and taking vitamins....and trying all sorts of things to help my hair get through this challenging time.I am still taking my meds and the hair seems a little better.Yes...you are my inspiration with what you suffered through with the well water incident. I figured since you had the courage to share your hair problems that I should do the same. :-)So you are one that keeps me feeling like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.Thanks for your support.Big hug,Karen> Oh gosh Karen.. I have felt your silence.. I just> thought you were busy. I hope you stay on your meds> and take care of your inner self first.. let's hope> your hair returns to it's normal pattern. I know how> much it means to you.. I have been there, done that> with losing length out of my control.. I am hoping> your situation works out, as well. My warmest> regards.. Cher~
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hey Zorak,Thanks for the 2nd post. Very nice of you to do that. :-)Don't worry, I have an engineering temperament so I question everything. That is why I waxed poetically...and to share my experiences.However, I am still taking the meds and won't risk my health for my hair. Honest, I promise. :-)As far as getting weird physical deformaties...I have a milder form of the disease and so I think that I am probably OK if I follow the plan.I have called my doctor about my hair and he just tells me to "hang in till things return to normal balance" UGH. You know how doctors can be.Thanks again for your post. I appreciate it.Best wishes,Karen> Uhhh, after I posted this I thought that it was kind> of rude and insensitive...> What I meant was that these are the kinds of> consequences that CAN occur if you DON'T TAKE your> medications, so by all means, don't ignore your> doctor's advice! If you follow his advice, chances are> very good that you will be fine and all will be OK.> Z.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hi Lynn,Thank you for the encouraging words. I feel better already. :-)Karen> Hi Karen,> I am in no means an expert, and by now means know> anything medical or chemical happening within our> bodies. It was just that when reading your post, I> thought of my girlfriend, and my hubby's aunt. Both of> these parties have been diagnosed with the same. They> have both been on their medication for years now. In> the beginning when they started with their tyroid> pills, they had alot of changes in their bodies and> general overall health. Weight change, sleeping> patterns, skin, hair, etc. Both of them experienced> their weight levelling off, their sleep patterns, and> tiredness levelling off, and their skin and hair> returning to normal conditions. As stated though, it> seemed to be with the new growth rather than the> existing hair. It has been five years for my> girlfriend and three for my hubby's aunt, and both> have beautiful hair, nails, skin, and their weight and> sleep is great.> I wish you all the best!!!> Take good care,> Lynn
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hi Other Dawn :-)Yes...I agree...I am still taking the meds. I would never deliberately hurt my health for my vanity. However, I do worry about my hair and went through a similar thing 10 years ago when I was dieting to the point of my hair falling out. I decided then that being thin was not worth the other damage to my body. :-)I also discovered that Basil Oil works very well with hair and scalp conditions. :-)I appreciate your good thoughts.Best wishes,Karen> Hi Karen!> You should DEFINITELY take your medication. Your> health is worth FAR more than your hair. If people> really care about you, they will do so whether or not> your hair is long or short and regardless of its> condition. I think that we "hair fans" need> to keep things in perspective and remember that it is> the person INSIDE that matters. Hair is temporary --> sooner or later, no matter how beautiful someone's> hair is, age or disease or *something* will take its> toll.> You'll be in my prayers, Karen. Please don't let this> get to you -- there are plenty of people out there in> the world who care about you regardless of the state> of you hair. Real beauty comes from within!> Dawn
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hi Jena,Thanks for your kind words. I am still taking my meds and will hang in there.Best wishes,Karen> Oh dear....are you honestly willing to risk your> *health* over your hair? I have to be brutally honest> here -- this, to me, says that you are severely> obsessed with your hair. I can absolutely see trying> everything that you know to preserve the health of> your hair. But when the health of your hair takes> precedence over the health of your body, well, that> simply isn't mentally healthy. I'm not terribly> familiar with thyroid conditions and don't know if> they're life-threatening, but if your thyroid> condition worsens and your health deteriorites> drastically, you'll probably be too ill to even care> about your hair.> I would encourage you to get second and third medical> opinions. Perhaps another doctor has a different> medication which wouldn't negatively affect your hair> so much.> I can honestly understand this, but we're not talking> about caving into any aesthetic pressure here, we're> talking about your *health*. If you lose your health,> you've lost everything, no matter how much money you> have or how much hair you have. Life is precious! We> all need to get our priorities in order sometimes.> My best to you. :-)
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
> Hey Zorak,> Thanks for the 2nd post. Very nice of you to do that.> :-)Well, I did not want you to feel upset. A thyroid problem is not the end of the world, medication can fix the symptoms and the related problems.....it is a good thing we live in the US where medications are readily available!BTW, I am a big believer in nutrition as a daily maintainance plan to stay healthy. I have a friend who is a Seventh Day Adventist who has turned me on to holistic foods; he cured his mother's neck cancer with nutrition when the doctors all said she had no chance to survive; now she is into her second year of total remission! Look into diet and nutrition as a supplement to your "regular" medical treatments......> Don't worry, I have an engineering temperament so I> question everything.Definitely do question when it comes to your health....doctors are often wrong in their diagnoses, that is the reason for "second opionions".> However, I am still taking the meds and won't risk my> health for my hair. Honest, I promise. :-)Wise choice. Health is everything in life, right up there with freedom.> As far as getting weird physical deformaties...I have> a milder form of the disease and so I think that I am> probably OK if I follow the plan.Yes.> I have called my doctor about my hair and he just> tells me to "hang in till things return to normal> balance" UGH. You know how doctors can be.Doctors perform procedures and get "results". They are usually loathe to give strong opionions on any medical subject. It is always up to the person affected to get at the truth by educating themselves and taking charge of their own condition.> Thanks again for your post. I appreciate it.Thank you for not being offended, but I do wish you the best and hope that you are well in the future.Zorak (not an MD)
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Z.,I certainly don't mean to be rude myself either, but thought I needed to clarify something.I think Karen said hypothyroidism and not hyperthyroidism. Both conditions are serious, but are different in how they effect the body.Sincerely,Valentine :o)
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Karen!Oooh, I send you huge hugs! I am so sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with this. There is never a good time to find out that you have a health condition (take it from someone who found out herself not even 6 months ago). I pray that you will get better soon and that your hair will not be affected adversely for too much longer. May your faith give you strength during this difficult time.Strangely enough, I learned of someone who also was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism -- my boyfriend's parent's dog, Lena -- a very nice 5 year old cocker spaniel! Seriously, she had gained weight, her skin wasn't so good, and her fur was thinning out like crazy. It was almost completely bare on her neck and in places on her back. She looked like a 15 year old pooch.Two weeks ago, she was successfully diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on medications. She is now showing signs of improvement. Her weight is dropping, she feels peppy (and not worn out and tired) again, and her fur is growing back in already.So although humans and canines are not alike, the condition's symptoms are extremely similar it seems. And if this cute pooch is getting better on the meds, I am hoping that you will not only get better as well, but that your hair will come back better than ever too.I certainly cannot promise or avow that this will happen for you. But it does seem like there is a chance that your hair's symptoms are due to the condition and not the meds.How long have you been taking this medication?And of course, remember that hair take a bit longer to spring back from health conditions than many other parts of the body or system. Skin seems to act that way too.I think you are smart, taking supplements and vitamins, taking extra good care of your hair with small trims, scalp treatments and the Chinese herbs you have had success with in the past.Keep on trying your meds. If you truly do not like them after a period of time, meet with your doctor to discuss possible other medications that would help (there is usually more than one), and try to be patient and pamper yourself as much as possible! In addition to those wonderful scalp massages, if you can swing it, fit in occasional body massages. I truly think that they help relieve stress on a body quite a bit. And less stress is good for everything.And most of all, know that we are all pulling for you, praying for you, and sending our best wishes to you. This has not been the easiest of years for you or Jeff, and my heart is with you both.Relax as much as possible, laugh as often as you can, and take it day by day.Big hugs!!!!Valentine :o)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic