Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debra Jo Sells Her Hair. Would you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kim, the-no-longer-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the-no-longer-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi there. I find this a very interesting topic, and look forward to seeing what other people write.I do know a woman who sold her hair, and I'm not sure it was for financial reasons. I think she had read "The Gift of the Magi" and found the idea of selling her hair romantic as a result (although to my mind, the gesture taken out of context loses its appeal).I find the idea of selling one's hair as collectibles somehow disturbing; sort of like selling relics of yourself. It would bother me more than simply selling it to a wigmaker, although I can't see myself doing that, either. I would have to be in dire financial straits even to consider either possibility; I think I would feel diminished and a little less visible if I cut my hair.As far as hair having power, in the Odyssey long beautifulhair is often attributed to powerful, seductive women, suchas Calypso and Circe who waylaid Odysseus on his journeyhome. My professor mentioned they were seen as ensnaring him with their long braids; a fascinating image, I thought. A closer analogy to Samson might be Odysseus himself; tomake him seem more godlike, Athena gave him flowing,hyacinthian locks (Bk. VI.231). Just a bit of hair folklore,for those who might be interested (if any). Take care.---Kim
david View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Can you tell us what magazine?> OK. So I read this article that Debra Jo Fondren who> was a Playboy Playmate of the Year and famous for> ankle length thick luxious blonde hair. She is back in> the spotlight after some absence and is selling pieces> of her hair as official "collectibles". UGH.> I am not the one selling my hair but I still felt> violated.> Jeff has a magazine that interviews her about selling> her hair, what she has been doing since she cut off> all her hair and of course the appropriate photos of> her in various settings.
Briony View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Jade21!I think the movie you saw was a version of the story "Gifts of the Magi" (not sure,however). In that story, which I read 5 yrs ago, the woman sells her floor length hair to buy her husband a watch fob for his most prized possesion -- his old gold watch. Unbeknownst to her, he has sold his watch to buy her a pair of beautiful hair combs because her hair is her most prized possession, which with very short hair she will now not be able to use. It is for Christmas, and they have no money. I have often thought of the story and found it heartbreaking.I have also known two people who sold their hair while I was in high school, one male and one female. Neither had any problems with it and were happy to have some extra spending cash. Just my two cents.Briony
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi, Karen!Karen, you are feeling better because you are awake and your mind is doing some overtime:) Glad to see it!Anyway, part 1 of your question about selling hair as collectibles gets a wholehearted "no way" from me. The only way that I could do it would be financial necessity and only if this was truly the court of last resort.I remember seeing an old movie about a young couple who fell into financial straits and the issue was whether the woman would sell her to-the-floor length hair to buy her husband a gift and whether the man would sell something like an antique watch to buy his wife a gift. Both were anniversary or Christmas gifts, I think. They both did it. Something like this I can understand a lot better than the case you've posed. They loved each other forever and I think the choices were right for both of them. What's funny was I remember the husband feeling almost worse than the woman about her selling the hair. In modern times, I'm sure they could have both just said, "let's not exchange gifts this year" and enjoy each other's company.Part 2 of your question is a whole topic in and of itself. I wish the actress could have explained further what she meant. A lot of people think of Samson in the Bible in relation to strength and power in hair. When you stated her comment, it made me think of something that a woman in article I read said in relation to weight loss. This woman was very tall and had been 250lbs or more for most of her life. She said many of the things people who lose weight do about the change like losing friends, greater mobility, etc., but she also indicated that in business she felt she had lost some bargaining power. The sheer fact of her size commanded attention and she used it to her advantage. She realized that she was revamping her own style not to fall into the trap of being "a little woman." I found that most interesting.I suppose hair power is what you make of it, whether it's in business, personal relationships, or whatever. Just like with the weight loss, I'm sure it's not something to which people give much thought. Maybe, it's only after the "loss" someone realizes it at all.Bye for now,Jade21> It is 2:39 AM and I can't sleep. I could work on the> Boutique..OK I will get there in a minute..but I enjoy> this board the most so I decided to post about Debra> Jo Fondren.> Actually I want everyone to know that my post about my> thyroid made me feel better just to talk about it and> my hair actually seems better the last day or so. I> also have more energy (witness my insomnia - :-)> OK. So I read this article that Debra Jo Fondren who> was a Playboy Playmate of the Year and famous for> ankle length thick luxious blonde hair. She is back in> the spotlight after some absence and is selling pieces> of her hair as official "collectibles". UGH.> I am not the one selling my hair but I still felt> violated.> Jeff has a magazine that interviews her about selling> her hair, what she has been doing since she cut off> all her hair and of course the appropriate photos of> her in various settings.> I personally would have a hard time selling my hair.> While I am a big believer in heart and similar> transplants, my hair feels so much a part of me that I> just don't think I could sell it.> I read an interview with Portia De Rossi (Ally McBeal> TV show) and she is quoted as saying that she cut her> hair off after making the movie Sirens and she> immediately regretted it. She says that "hair has> a certain power I was not aware of".> Comments? Thoughts? Would you sell your hair as> "collectibles"?> While I don't always get around to posting here, I> will confess that I lurk more often hear than all the> other boards because I love the wonderful debates.> After all, this is hair politics. :-)> Best wishes,> Karen
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
OK,It is 2:39 AM and I can't sleep. I could work on the Boutique..OK I will get there in a minute..but I enjoy this board the most so I decided to post about Debra Jo Fondren.Actually I want everyone to know that my post about my thyroid made me feel better just to talk about it and my hair actually seems better the last day or so. I also have more energy (witness my insomnia - :-)OK. So I read this article that Debra Jo Fondren who was a Playboy Playmate of the Year and famous for ankle length thick luxious blonde hair. She is back in the spotlight after some absence and is selling pieces of her hair as official "collectibles". UGH. I am not the one selling my hair but I still felt violated.Jeff has a magazine that interviews her about selling her hair, what she has been doing since she cut off all her hair and of course the appropriate photos of her in various settings.I personally would have a hard time selling my hair. While I am a big believer in heart and similar transplants, my hair feels so much a part of me that I just don't think I could sell it.I read an interview with Portia De Rossi (Ally McBeal TV show) and she is quoted as saying that she cut her hair off after making the movie Sirens and she immediately regretted it. She says that "hair has a certain power I was not aware of".Comments? Thoughts? Would you sell your hair as "collectibles"?While I don't always get around to posting here, I will confess that I lurk more often hear than all the other boards because I love the wonderful debates. After all, this is hair politics. :-)Best wishes,Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic