Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debra Jo Sells Her Hair. Would you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debra Jo Sells Her Hair. Would you?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
OK,It is 2:39 AM and I can't sleep. I could work on the Boutique..OK I will get there in a minute..but I enjoy this board the most so I decided to post about Debra Jo Fondren.Actually I want everyone to know that my post about my thyroid made me feel better just to talk about it and my hair actually seems better the last day or so. I also have more energy (witness my insomnia - :-)OK. So I read this article that Debra Jo Fondren who was a Playboy Playmate of the Year and famous for ankle length thick luxious blonde hair. She is back in the spotlight after some absence and is selling pieces of her hair as official "collectibles". UGH. I am not the one selling my hair but I still felt violated.Jeff has a magazine that interviews her about selling her hair, what she has been doing since she cut off all her hair and of course the appropriate photos of her in various settings.I personally would have a hard time selling my hair. While I am a big believer in heart and similar transplants, my hair feels so much a part of me that I just don't think I could sell it.I read an interview with Portia De Rossi (Ally McBeal TV show) and she is quoted as saying that she cut her hair off after making the movie Sirens and she immediately regretted it. She says that "hair has a certain power I was not aware of".Comments? Thoughts? Would you sell your hair as "collectibles"?While I don't always get around to posting here, I will confess that I lurk more often hear than all the other boards because I love the wonderful debates. After all, this is hair politics. :-)Best wishes,Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi, Karen!Karen, you are feeling better because you are awake and your mind is doing some overtime:) Glad to see it!Anyway, part 1 of your question about selling hair as collectibles gets a wholehearted "no way" from me. The only way that I could do it would be financial necessity and only if this was truly the court of last resort.I remember seeing an old movie about a young couple who fell into financial straits and the issue was whether the woman would sell her to-the-floor length hair to buy her husband a gift and whether the man would sell something like an antique watch to buy his wife a gift. Both were anniversary or Christmas gifts, I think. They both did it. Something like this I can understand a lot better than the case you've posed. They loved each other forever and I think the choices were right for both of them. What's funny was I remember the husband feeling almost worse than the woman about her selling the hair. In modern times, I'm sure they could have both just said, "let's not exchange gifts this year" and enjoy each other's company.Part 2 of your question is a whole topic in and of itself. I wish the actress could have explained further what she meant. A lot of people think of Samson in the Bible in relation to strength and power in hair. When you stated her comment, it made me think of something that a woman in article I read said in relation to weight loss. This woman was very tall and had been 250lbs or more for most of her life. She said many of the things people who lose weight do about the change like losing friends, greater mobility, etc., but she also indicated that in business she felt she had lost some bargaining power. The sheer fact of her size commanded attention and she used it to her advantage. She realized that she was revamping her own style not to fall into the trap of being "a little woman." I found that most interesting.I suppose hair power is what you make of it, whether it's in business, personal relationships, or whatever. Just like with the weight loss, I'm sure it's not something to which people give much thought. Maybe, it's only after the "loss" someone realizes it at all.Bye for now,Jade21> It is 2:39 AM and I can't sleep. I could work on the> Boutique..OK I will get there in a minute..but I enjoy> this board the most so I decided to post about Debra> Jo Fondren.> Actually I want everyone to know that my post about my> thyroid made me feel better just to talk about it and> my hair actually seems better the last day or so. I> also have more energy (witness my insomnia - :-)> OK. So I read this article that Debra Jo Fondren who> was a Playboy Playmate of the Year and famous for> ankle length thick luxious blonde hair. She is back in> the spotlight after some absence and is selling pieces> of her hair as official "collectibles". UGH.> I am not the one selling my hair but I still felt> violated.> Jeff has a magazine that interviews her about selling> her hair, what she has been doing since she cut off> all her hair and of course the appropriate photos of> her in various settings.> I personally would have a hard time selling my hair.> While I am a big believer in heart and similar> transplants, my hair feels so much a part of me that I> just don't think I could sell it.> I read an interview with Portia De Rossi (Ally McBeal> TV show) and she is quoted as saying that she cut her> hair off after making the movie Sirens and she> immediately regretted it. She says that "hair has> a certain power I was not aware of".> Comments? Thoughts? Would you sell your hair as> "collectibles"?> While I don't always get around to posting here, I> will confess that I lurk more often hear than all the> other boards because I love the wonderful debates.> After all, this is hair politics. :-)> Best wishes,> Karen
Briony View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Jade21!I think the movie you saw was a version of the story "Gifts of the Magi" (not sure,however). In that story, which I read 5 yrs ago, the woman sells her floor length hair to buy her husband a watch fob for his most prized possesion -- his old gold watch. Unbeknownst to her, he has sold his watch to buy her a pair of beautiful hair combs because her hair is her most prized possession, which with very short hair she will now not be able to use. It is for Christmas, and they have no money. I have often thought of the story and found it heartbreaking.I have also known two people who sold their hair while I was in high school, one male and one female. Neither had any problems with it and were happy to have some extra spending cash. Just my two cents.Briony
david View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Can you tell us what magazine?> OK. So I read this article that Debra Jo Fondren who> was a Playboy Playmate of the Year and famous for> ankle length thick luxious blonde hair. She is back in> the spotlight after some absence and is selling pieces> of her hair as official "collectibles". UGH.> I am not the one selling my hair but I still felt> violated.> Jeff has a magazine that interviews her about selling> her hair, what she has been doing since she cut off> all her hair and of course the appropriate photos of> her in various settings.
Kim, the-no-longer-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the-no-longer-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi there. I find this a very interesting topic, and look forward to seeing what other people write.I do know a woman who sold her hair, and I'm not sure it was for financial reasons. I think she had read "The Gift of the Magi" and found the idea of selling her hair romantic as a result (although to my mind, the gesture taken out of context loses its appeal).I find the idea of selling one's hair as collectibles somehow disturbing; sort of like selling relics of yourself. It would bother me more than simply selling it to a wigmaker, although I can't see myself doing that, either. I would have to be in dire financial straits even to consider either possibility; I think I would feel diminished and a little less visible if I cut my hair.As far as hair having power, in the Odyssey long beautifulhair is often attributed to powerful, seductive women, suchas Calypso and Circe who waylaid Odysseus on his journeyhome. My professor mentioned they were seen as ensnaring him with their long braids; a fascinating image, I thought. A closer analogy to Samson might be Odysseus himself; tomake him seem more godlike, Athena gave him flowing,hyacinthian locks (Bk. VI.231). Just a bit of hair folklore,for those who might be interested (if any). Take care.---Kim
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Briony (and everybody else),> Hi Jade21!> I think the movie you saw was a version of the story> "Gifts of the Magi" (not sure,however). In> that story, which I read 5 yrs ago, the woman sells> her floor length hair to buy her husband a watch fob> for his most prized possesion -- his old gold watch.> Unbeknownst to her, he has sold his watch to buy her a> pair of beautiful hair combs because her hair is her> most prized possession, which with very short hair she> will now not be able to use. It is for Christmas, and> they have no money. I have often thought of the story> and found it heartbreaking.Me too! And I agree with you Kim, on your assessment of thewoman you knew who romanticized cutting her hair as takingthe story out of context!> I have also known two people who sold their hair while> I was in high school, one male and one female. Neither> had any problems with it and were happy to have some> extra spending cash. Just my two cents.> BrionyI have been asked more than once if I had considered orwould consider cutting my hair and selling it for money.The idea of doing so has absolutely no appeal -- I look atmy JOB as being my source of income!Dave
David M Squires
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
> OK. So I read this article that Debra Jo Fondren who> was a Playboy Playmate of the Year and famous for> ankle length thick luxious blonde hair. She is back in> the spotlight after some absence and is selling pieces> of her hair as official "collectibles". UGH.> I am not the one selling my hair but I still felt> violated.It is interesting to note that all those who found the idea of selling one's hair repugnant are those who have a dedication to growing their hair long. Hmmm....Anyway, I guess that I really don't see a problem with the idea: women in the far east have sold their hair to wig makers as a matter of course for centuries. There is a web site (something like phd4u.com, I cannot really remember) where girls who cut off their long hair actually auction off their pony tails to the highest bidder....I kid you not!Of course, one wonders what the purchasers of these pony tails use them for.....But hey, if you have something that you no longer want to keep, and someone is willing to pay good money for it, why just throw it away? Why not get whatever money you can for something that would normally just be swept into the trash?ZorakBTW, I have been doing some research on hair power, politics, fetishes, etc. I have found many fascinating things, from a story of sacrificed hair immortalized in the constellations, to people who are "coming out" as hair fetishists after years of thinking they were weird or gay. Maybe one day I will post a compendium of the new knowledge I have gained.The psychology of hair is enough for one to get a very original PhD thesis out of!!! Doesn't this message board kind of prove that to be true anyway???
The OTHER Dawn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The OTHER Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
> Comments? Thoughts? Would you sell your hair as> "collectibles"?I think it would depend upon how much the buyers wanted to pay me! :-) I wouldn't LOVE the idea, but if the buyers could pay off a few of my college loans, I might learn to LIKE it as long as I didn't have to go SUPER short or shave my head! The buyers would have to be quite wealthy, though!As far as the Debra Jo thing goes, Debra Jo in a sense did sell a part of herself when she posed for Playboy in the first place. To me, selling nude pictures of your body is a bit more serious than selling pieces of your hair! I'd feel more violated knowing that millions of men were drooling over me than I would knowing someone owned a piece of my hair!After I cut my hair awhile back, I did donate it to Locks Of Love, a charity that makes wigs for kids w/ hair loss. Since I had a lot of hair in very good condition, I thought I might as well donate it instead of throwing it out w/ the garbage.DawnRelated Link:Dawn's Secret Garden
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Zorak,> It is interesting to note that all those who found the> idea of selling one's hair repugnant are those who> have a dedication to growing their hair long. Hmmm....Doesn't seem surprising. Cutting/selling one's hair is inconsistent with a dedication to growing it longer, right?> Anyway, I guess that I really don't see a problem with> the idea: women in the far east have sold their hair> to wig makers as a matter of course for centuries.I read once that it was done extensively in Europe, too.> There is a web site (something like phd4u.com, I> cannot really remember) where girls who cut off their> long hair actually auction off their pony tails to the> highest bidder....I kid you not!> Of course, one wonders what the purchasers of these> pony tails use them for.....If not for wigs, then what? Fetish, perhaps?> But hey, if you have something that you no longer want> to keep, and someone is willing to pay good money for> it, why just throw it away? Why not get whatever money> you can for something that would normally just be> swept into the trash?Sure. Sometimes, though, people are induced to consider/decide to cut because a certain sum of money has been waved in their face. It's a temptation to sell out.And makes me question the motivations of those who make such offers.> Zorak> BTW, I have been doing some research on hair power,> politics, fetishes, etc. I have found many fascinating> things, from a story of sacrificed hair immortalized> in the constellations, to people who are "coming> out" as hair fetishists after years of thinking> they were weird or gay. Maybe one day I will post a> compendium of the new knowledge I have gained.> The psychology of hair is enough for one to get a very> original PhD thesis out of!!! Doesn't this message> board kind of prove that to be true anyway???There is a lot to say about the subject. I am certain that someone could write that very original PhD thesis on any number of topics related to hair.Dave
David M Squires
Special Ed View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Special Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
In the movie Little Women, Jo has her hair cut short to sell it in order that her mother can go and get her papa. I guess in this case, and when you're poor, Jo felt she had no other choice - it became a question of what was more important to her - family or her hair. It was a sacrifice, but one she was prepared to make.Would anyone on this board NOT be prepared to make this sacrifice for a loved one?What was cruel though in the movie was the reaction of her youngest sister who said when she saw what Jo had done that Jo had sacrificed 'her ONE beauty'. Wow.... what a cow!!!!By the way, has anyone read the book? If so, was this in the book and does anyone know if the event really happened in the author's childhood... I believe the book is based on her childhood, but is not necessarily an autobiographical account.Ed
Special Ed View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Special Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
This is a bit morose, but I have been wondering.I don't really see that anyone who wants to buy hair and pay for it is exploiting others as Dave put it, since it is down to the individual choice of that person selling their hair and a question of what value they ulitmately put on it and how much the person buying is willing to spend. I remember as a school child, one boy who bought a ball of ice from another kid for a weeks allowance and then saw it melt away into nothing as the school afternoon proceeded. Value is in the eye of the buyer and seller.... the magic of capitalism.What motivated Debra Jo to sell her hair. Was it cashing in on fame. Was it that she was going to cut it anyway and thought, hey there are some mugs out there who will pay for this, rather than it just going into a trash can. Or did she truely want to share something very personal with her fans who were prepared to pay for it.Ultimately though she was in control of this.It has made me wonder though whether the next of kin of a deceased celebrity might have the same idea and hack all their hair off before they are finally put to rest. Yuck. Sounds gross doesn't it, but then again I am sure there are people out there who might pay for say a lock of Elvis's hair... or some time in the (hopefully distant) future Crystal Gayle. Now what are the ethics of this and what about the people who might buy it. And where might it all end???Ed
david View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
> There is a lot to say about the subject. I am certain> that someone could write that very original PhD thesis> on any number of topics related to hair.> DaveI am aware of one serious, scholarly research activity going on right now, focused on hair and sexuality. The researcher is actually focused on men's haircutting, and is distributing a questionaire on the subject. You may be interested in contacting the researcher, or filling out the survey (certainly the locals at this site would give very different answers than those from The Haircut Site... ;~)email version: http://www.thcsite.com/survey_a.htmlprint version: http://www.thcsite.com/survey1.html
Kim, the-no-longer-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the-no-longer-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Hi Ed. I know the hair-cutting incident was in the book "Little Women", and that Jo's hair was supposed to be her "one beauty." It was a very touching gesture; she was such a tomboy, and her hair was the only thing she was vain about.It is hard for me to imagine the situation arising in this day and age, but if I needed the money for a loved one, certainly I would make the sacrifice. Hair grows back (however slowly); people are irreplaceable.I don't know if that particular incident was taken from Alcott's life.Kim
Dave View Drop Down

> In the movie Little Women, Jo has her hair cut short> to sell it in order that her mother can go and get her> papa. I guess in this case, and when you're poor, Jo> felt she had no other choice - it became a question of> what was more important to her - family or her hair.> It was a sacrifice, but one she was prepared to make.> Would anyone on this board NOT be prepared to make> this sacrifice for a loved one?Hi Ed,The issue (in the storyline) was a perceived immediate need formonetary resources to fund the means to "go and get her papa." I'mnot familiar with the storyline -- was it was a matter of life anddeath, or of rescuing him from some type of grave danger?As I have prepared for a financial "emergency," I myself have noreason to even consider such a course of action.Even if a person had no such "emergency fund," there are lots oflegal ways -- and plenty of potentially saleable assets from whichto choose -- to quickly generate some cash, if so needed.I think of proactive preparedness for a potential emergency as a goodway to avoid putting one's self into a potentially compromising position.> What was cruel though in the movie was the reaction of> her youngest sister who said when she saw what Jo had> done that Jo had sacrificed 'her ONE beauty'. Wow....> what a cow!!!!Her comment was, on one hand, a compliment, and on the other, an insult.Dave
David M Squires
Cher~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
If you watch the movie ... you can pick up on Amy's attitude of herself vs. Jo's. Jo was the tomboy and not fussy as Amy was. For example, Amy's wearing the clothespin on her nose to make it shaped more attractively..Jo was the bookworm/author/tomboy who wanted to go off and fight with the men.. Amy was made to be the prissy one..one who knew she would marry rich.. Meg the mature one.. Beth the sympathic and tragic one. Jo had too much pride to ask the rich aunt for money so she sold her hair.. showing alot of sacrifice...Her father was injured in the cival war and money was needed for train fare for the mother to get to his side.Hollywood may have picked a too pretty of Jo for it's movie compared to what the author intended.. The newest version is superb tho..I bought a copy as soon as it came out.. love it at Christmastime. Cher~Hi Ed. I know the hair-cutting incident was in the> book "Little Women", and that Jo's hair was> supposed to be her "one beauty." It was a> very touching gesture; she was such a tomboy, and her> hair was the only thing she was vain about.> It is hard for me to imagine the situation arising in> this day and age, but if I needed the money for a> loved one, certainly I would make the sacrifice. Hair> grows back (however slowly); people are irreplaceable.> I don't know if that particular incident was taken> from Alcott's life.> Kim
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
> Even if a person had no such "emergency fund," there are> lots of legal ways -- and plenty of potentially saleable> assets from which to choose -- to quickly generate some> cash, if so needed.Before the advent of the "credit society", people of humble means often had little choice when they were desperately inneed of money. Witness the (now considered horrible and banned by law) practice of making poor children work 12 hours a day in gross conditions.....In the past in the USA it was a very common practice for a woman to sell her hair as a way to make money. Many families expected that their daughters would sell their hair when it was long enough to "harvest". Even today in poorer countries like in the far east or in south America, it is common for women to sell their hair for money.Times change. Now credit is easy, jobs are relatively easy to find (in the USA anyway) and it is not as common for a woman to sell her hair for money, but obviously it does still occur.BTW, did you know that in ancient Rome it was common for a rich woman to buy a slave girl just to cut off her hair and make a wig out of it? Rich women in Rome coveted the blonde hair of germanic and gaulish slave girls....the extra household labor was a nice "extra" when a slave was bought to make a wig.....Zorak
Violet View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Violet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
I was inspired by a knee-length haired woman who donated her hair to an organization which makes wigs for children who lost their hair after kemotherapy. I don't think I could part with many inches of my rear-end length locks, but if they'd take an inch or two at a time, I'd be happy to do the same. The poor woman was crying and I'm sure she was sad to lose a part of herself. After a while, it just seems like another appendage doesn't it? (no offense to those who have lost a true appendage)Why is it that these make-over segments love to chop off long hair anyway? At first it appeared this lady would have bra-length hair, but by the time the guy finished, it was barely below her shoulders!!
Kestra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> Why is it that these make-over segments love to chop> off long hair anyway? At first it appeared this lady> would have bra-length hair, but by the time the guy> finished, it was barely below her shoulders!!I think I remember this one. Was this where Oprah showed her different styles with a virtual makeover program? Seemed like Oprah (and the audience) were rooting for the woman to have her lovely hair cut to chin legnth, but she wasn't having any of that.Kestra
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
God forbid anything should happen to my daughter, but if she were ill and lost her hair, I would cut mine to make a wig or hair extensions for her.Now, of course, I have to *grow* my hair so I would actually have it to cut... {grin}
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
> Actually I want everyone to know that my post about my> thyroid made me feel better just to talk about it and> my hair actually seems better the last day or so. I> also have more energy (witness my insomnia - :-)Karen...this is the best news of all!! Keep fighting, you know we are all behind you!> I personally would have a hard time selling my hair.> While I am a big believer in heart and similar> transplants, my hair feels so much a part of me that I> just don't think I could sell it.Agreed. We aren't exactly talking about bone marrow or blood now are we? One can physically exist without hair...ask any bald man. Yes, losing hair to chemo and the like is a horrifying experience, but there is no wig shortage or anything like that in this country. Most hairpieces are high-tech polymer fibres, not real human hair. Blood or marrow tissue however cannot be synthesized.Hair IS a part of you.Your hair contains trace metabolites of everything you ingest in your body...food, drugs, etc. While a lab can't determine which night last week one had chicken, it can identify whether one has a vegetarian diet or not. Its validity for testing for drugs or medicines is superior to most tests because not only is hair highly accurate, it provides a time reference as to when a substance was digested.So no, I won't sell my hair. I won't give it to charity. I certainly wouldn't allow some crazed or disturbed fan to get a lock of it. No thanks.Related Link:Picture
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic