Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jerry Hall - 6 inches of hair chopped off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jerry Hall - 6 inches of hair chopped off
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
Greetings from Boston where I am reading everything I can get my hands on while I wait for my flight back to Dallas to avoid boredom and to catch up on my reading materials. :-)I just read in two separate new articles that Jerry Hall, of Mrs. Rolling Stone fame and admired for her waist length tresses has just "chopped off a good 6 inches".Apparently the recent divorce/annullment/whatever has motivated her to search for new ways to live her life and that includes chopping 6 inches of her glorious blonde locks.I am saddened that she did this since I always admired her willingness to sport her long locks even as she approached her 40s.Unfortunately the fashion industry puts tremendous pressure on long haired people to conform and many women feel the need to cut their hair during major times of life change like marriage, divorce, having children...etc.,The sad thing is that so many approve of Jerry's new shorter look. Again an indicator of society and the need to conform.Thoughts?Best wishes,Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
I haven't actually seen her new haircut, but I have a feeling I would like it. Her face is so very thin and her hair always looked so thin that I would imagine it would make her actually look younger and healthier.Did the articles say that she caved into pressure or was she just looking for a new look?
The OTHER Dawn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The OTHER Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
I think that it is dangerous to assume that someone is "caving into pressure" just because they cut their hair. Perhaps Jerry's hair had gotten thinner/drier at the ends, and she was trying to look more attractive by getting rid of some damage. Many women color their hair as they grow older, and that can cause damage that makes extremely long hair more difficult to keep healthy. I don't think women should automatically cut off their hair because they are older -- I DEFINITELY have a preference for long hair, but sometimes there *are* legitimate reasons for cutting. Besides, it is *her* hair!DawnRelated Link:Dawn's Secret Garden
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
Hi,I don't have the same opinion as Jena does about Jerry Hall's hair. I always thought it was thick and attractive on her. I just thought the style would look better for her face shape with bangs. I've never noticed her face was too thin, but when I have seen pictures of her I noticed her naturally high forehead might need some soft bangs cut in.Well, enough with the hairstyle critique.I agree with Dawn, that it may not be right to assume it was for society reasons. It could be that it just had some damage needing trimmed off. Was the magazine articles interviewing her, or just writing ABOUT her? It's true though that many women choose a different style during a major life change because they think it's the right thing to do. Very often society says so through magazines, maybe advice passed down from a Mother or Grandmother. If Jerry Hall was actually following fashion trends, though, she would have kept her hair right where it is. Every magazine I see lately has one model or actress sporting extensions that go to the waist or hips. I haven't seen her new look, but probably I would prefer it they way it was, since I'm a long hair fan myself, if it suits the person.I think that whenever someone does something new with their hair it may not be correct to assume that if the new style is shorter than the old one, that they gave into to society's ideas. Although it may be true a lot of the time, maybe sometimes the actual reason is a person just wanted a different look. Unless the magazine actually interviews a person, I tend not to take what is said about celebrities (or any other public figure)as true unless a close family memeber gives an interview and it isn't confronted by the person being written about, and sometimes you can't even trust that as meaning something is true. Of course, magazines writng the wrong reasons on why you cut your hair might not be important enough to make celebrities "confront" the incorrect assumption.Holly
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
Its not really short (this picture is dated 7/9), but I agree with Karen. I liked her longer locks better
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
Sorry 'bout thatRelated Link:Picture
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> Apparently the recent divorce/annullment/whatever has> motivated her to search for new ways to live her life> and that includes chopping 6 inches of her glorious> blonde locks.Yes, women who are going through life changes often cut their hair. It is quite normal.> The sad thing is that so many approve of Jerry's new> shorter look. Again an indicator of society and the> need to conform.HUH?? Maybe she did it because she was tired of the same old look year after year! Maybe she did it because she just wanted to change, or maybe it is her personal "declaration of indepenance" from Mick. Who knows?BUT, to assume that she "caved in to pressure" is absurd!Zorak
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> I think that it is dangerous to assume that someone is> "caving into pressure" just because they cut> their hair.One thing I've noticed on this board is that there seems to be an assumption that anyone with long hair who cuts it has not done so out of free will without any influencing pressures. I've known several friends who had long hair, and for various reasons, simply wanted to try something new. Some went back to long hair; some did not.BTW, in the photo above that was posted, what I didn't think was flattering about her hair is that she seems to have no body on top. It's nearly pasted against her head which I think is highly unflattering. And I agree -- soft bangs would look great on her! However, I would *not* like to see short hair on her. The shortest I would go would be just below shoulder length.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> Perhaps Jerry's hair had gotten thinner/drier at the> ends, and she was trying to look more attractive by> getting rid of some damage.Or maybe she just wanted short hair for a change of pace!Why do long-hair fans ALWAYS assume that people cave in to pressure whenthey cut their hair? Why do they always assume that the only rational reason tocut one's long hair short is to "get rid of the damaged ends"?It is absurd to think that someone like Jerry Hall needs any reason other than adesire to change to make her want to cut her hair.Personally, I think that she should go much shorter (like chin length), get bangs,and really try something new for a change!Zorak
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
>Dear Karen:What a treat to see you start a thread. Anyways if you are interested you should ask Frank from the long hair site to forward the article of CNN and how some stylist mentioned that the styles in year 2000 will be a lot shorter.>I would send it to you but I don't have it anymore. Anyways I not sure if it was in the same article or not but I read somewhere that in the industry long hair means halfway down the back for the near future.I think we will be seeing a lot more short hair styles more than ever.>
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
>
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
> I think we will be seeing a lot more short hair styles> more than ever.That will make long hair even more of a rarity, and you'll stand out as a treasure! :-)
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
> That will make long hair even more of a rarity, and> you'll stand out as a treasure! :-)Very cute Jena, very cute lolLong hair has its moment being a disavantage. You would have rolled around laughing seeing me at the lake. First this really ugly oversize cricket got into my hair and I if I had my hair in a ponytail I would have been warn a lot sooner of the coming attack. I was in the car at the time and boy oh boy did I drove like a drunk driver as I tried to get that thing out of hair and it landed on the side conpartment so I had one eye on the road and other on the insect. Then Jena I pulled over to a side road and had 20, 30 bees all around the car and I quickly did my little dance as we all do with bees and ran into the car. Of course I can't forget the king of all king spiders that zoom right past my hair and I ran into the cottage locking the door just in case the spider learned how to open doors lol. ( poking fun at me)My hair can be used as an advantage when I first learned of the mole in the cottage. My youngest wore goggles and a safety life jacket to go to bed at first. Me, hell I wasn't so brave when it was time to go to bed, I neatly had my hair wrap around my head to protect my ears just in case lol.Jena I was thinking. Maybe after I grow my hair really really long maybe I can license it as a weapon because I can tie it in a braid and whip any one that is bad lol
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Hi everybody!Where to begin... from what I remember seeing in various picturesthrough the (past 24) years, Jerry Hall's hairlength has varied fromjust below her waist to its present length (about 6 inches above herwaist). I don't think this is the first time she has had her hairat this length. I think she looks phenomenal in the referenced recentpicture (even though she cut her hair). I can't recall seeing otherpictures of her in the past few years, so I have no idea about thecondition of the ends of her hair.Of Ms. Hall's hair, Jena wrote that it seems to be "pasted againsther head which I think is highly unflattering?" No way! Bangs?IMHO, nope! She doesn't need them :-) [OK, enough of MY stylecritique]Everybody's got an opinion. There will always be those who appreciatesome aspect of a celebrity's appearance, and those who don't.Karen has raised an interesting issue regarding Ms. Hall's motivationsbehind the haircut. Her explanation doesn't seem to be completelyenlightening. I wonder if she cut her hair to spite Mick? (purespeculation on my part). Regardless, she may be trying to answer thequestion "will shorter (slightly less long) hair make life better?"Given her long-term choice of long hair, I would wager that she willgrow her hair longer again in the future.Karen, I am sorry for you that one of your long hair role models haschosen to trim her hair a bit shorter. It wouldn't surprise me, though,if you are seen as a similar type of role model for long hair by someof HB's visitors!The fashion industry thrives on people's desires for change.Societal pressure for conformity (depending on conformity to what) canresult in considerable, and unnecessary, psychic anguish.Zorak wrote: "Why do long-hair fans ALWAYS assume that people cave into pressure when they cut their hair? Why do they always assume thatthe only rational reason to cut one's long hair short is to "get ridof the damaged ends?" Jena wrote: "One thing I've noticed on thisboard is that there seems to be an assumption that anyone with longhair who cuts it has not done so out of free will without any influencingpressures."To Zorak (and Jena),I don't believe either of these statements. What I would liketo know is why you assume that fans of long hair abide by a standardparty line (i.e. are of one mind)? I have spoken in the past againstcoercive pressures but I do not and would never assume that (a) a givenhaircut decision was due only, or even in part, to such pressures, or(b) that there is only one rational reason to cut one's hair.Is it not alright with you that I have raised the issue of coercivepressure as an unfortunate reason for SOME people having cut their hair?Dave
David M Squires
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Hi Dave,Well, I think for the most part we finally found some common ground!:)> Of Ms. Hall's hair, Jena wrote that it seems to be> "pasted against> her head which I think is highly unflattering?"> No way! Bangs?> IMHO, nope! She doesn't need them :-) [OK, enough of> MY style> critique]Fair enough.> I wonder if she cut her hair to spite> Mick? (pure> speculation on my part).Actually, I never thought of that one (for a reason why Jerry may have cut her hair). If it were so (I know it's only speculation) I think it would be one of the dumbest moves ever made for ones self. I've read of women cutting their hair when their relationships go sour because their men liked it long-but if YOU (the woman) likes it long, then where does that leave you? I don't understand women that do that-unless of course they want the change for themselves, for other reasons than spiting their former boyfriend/husband.> The fashion industry thrives on people's desires for> change.I'm not sure if you mean this is negative or not. When you think about it, this very site is dependent partly on fashion (and therefore "change")because there's always new people being interested in surfing to it for different hair ideas. If that weren't so, there wouldn't be different hairstyle pictures to view-short AND long.> Zorak wrote: "Why do long-hair fans ALWAYS assume> that people cave in> to pressure when they cut their hair? Why do they> always assume that> the only rational reason to cut one's long hair short> is to "get rid> of the damaged ends?"This is more for Zorak, since I think (because of what I wrote in an earlier post to this thread) this last part might pertain to me, from:> the only rational reason to cut one's long hair short> is to "get rid> of the damaged ends?"Just to clarify myself, I think that there are many reasons why women (or men) cut their hair to one length or another. Some reasons are positive, others negative (as I elaborated on above).One reason I assume that damaged ends might be one of the first reasons a person trims it is that obviously it takes time and patience to get long hair. As someone who loves long hair on myself and others, I just think to myself why I would cut my hair 6 inches and really that would be the first reason, and knowing how others have also given time and patience to grow their hair long, I think it's just a natural assumption to think of it as the first reason why someone would trim off their hair. Especially when (IMHO)the look isn't all that different than before. I don't think it's the only rational reason, though. I understand that feeling to try a different look, and have given thought(but only very rarely) to cut my hair into a differnt style-but because of my prefernce for the look my hair at this length, I don't do it. I just know I'll be sorry afterwards. I just don't think it's such a different look on Jerry that it really makes that much difference. You seem to agree because of your statement in your post that she should try something really different. Nothing wrong with trying something different except I just agree with Jena that she needs to keep her hair on the long side-I don't think she would look as nice with short hair.> To Zorak (and Jena),> I don't believe either of these statements. What I> would like> to know is why you assume that fans of long hair abide> by a standard> party line (i.e. are of one mind)? I have spoken in> the past against> coercive pressures but I do not and would never assume> that (a) a given> haircut decision was due only, or even in part, to> such pressures, or> (b) that there is only one rational reason to cut> one's hair.> Is it not alright with you that I have raised the> issue of coercive> pressure as an unfortunate reason for SOME people> having cut their hair?Even though this question wasn't directed at me, respectfuly I'd like to address it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a feeling among some here because of certain posts in the past where topics such as make-overs have been accussed of coercing people into shorter styles, and some did not agree, and were told by others that there seems to be a conspiracy to make short haired person out of everyone. I'm not trying to start (or stop) a new thread on make-overs, and I don't think that this was the ONLY topic that has made people feel as if many long hair fans think the only reason people cut their hair is because of coercion. However,these shows have been on such a long time now (UNFORTUNATELY!!) that people ought to know what they are getting into when they want to have a make-over on those programs. That's not really the point here though. Yes, I myself have thought that many times they should have left the hair long and maybe just style it different. There does seem to be an obvious dislike (or what it really is in most cases, in my opinion, is a fear, due to obvious business reasons)among SOME stylists, but certainly not all. Also, some stylists just like to show off their artistic talent. If the client is willing-why not? Yes, on these shows they have put people on the spot, but I'm now talking real day-to-day life. No one is forcing anyone to cut their hair-unless it's a poor unfortunate child like the one written about in another post.Maybe I'm out of it living away from the States, but I always thought the pressure was on for women (in order to please men's tastes)to have LONG hair? I thought the short hair pressure mainly only happenned in business settings?I would think for the most part the long hair issue would really be the other way around.Add this one to the long list of us manifesto-writers!:))Holly
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Hi gang,Not sure, why I'm jumping into this, but I did have a couple of thoughts:- First, as Dave said, Jerry Hall's hair has always been long, with that length varying from about where it is now to waist-length. Jerry has beautiful long blonde hair and has rightly kept it long, as it is very flattering on her. Because of her history, I don't really see the cut as all that significant.As a matter of fact, at least a couple of women I know who keep their hair very long (in the vicinity of waist-length) tend to do something similiar. Instead of regular trims, once or twice a year, they will get 4-6 inches cut off, depending on how long it's been since their last cut. Most folks don't even really notice the change (other than me, but I ALWAYS notice these things) because their hair is still quite long.So, in other words, this is most likely just a trim that was overdue or eliminating some damage. If she was falling into trap of making a style change due to an emotional crisis, then I think the change would have been MUCH more significant. I'm with Dave in that I'm sure she'll end up growing it longer again. I strongly suspect that when or if Jerry DOES cut it, you'll know it. :) Or she may just go the route of Dyan Cannon and never cut it.- Quick agreement with Jena on the bang issue. Jerry has a very high forehead, much like Helen Hunt, and would really benefit from having a small fringe of bangs. I've always though her hairline looked like it started a bit to far back NOT to have bangs.- And finally, for Dave a simple observation and not an attempt at starting an argument, as I've had my fill of those for a while. You wondered why Zorak and Jena always assume that you think that if someone with long hair cuts it, it is due to some coercive pressure and not simply their decision. You're response is that you don't think that, but do believe it may happen sometimes.Just something that I've noticed is that though you may not think that it happens everytime, you tend to interject that opinion into that vast majority of your posts on this topic. In the very post I'm responding to, for example, you said:> Societal pressure for conformity (depending on> conformity to what) can> result in considerable, and unnecessary, psychic> anguish.Again, I understand that you don't believe this is true in all cases, but if you make this type of statement in most reponses on this subject, can you see how it could foster that impression? Like I said, not trying to start and argument, just an observation of how what you intended to say could have been misconstrued.As usual,JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Hi,> - Quick agreement with Jena on the bang issue. Jerry> has a very high forehead, much like Helen Hunt, and> would really benefit from having a small fringe of> bangs. I've always though her hairline looked like it> started a bit to far back NOT to have bangs.Hey, I called that first! (Big pout, temper-tantrum).Just kidding, but hey, it isn't often as of latethat I get a (public)agreement on something I said!:))> Just something that I've noticed is that though you> may not think that it happens everytime, you tend to> interject that opinion into that vast majority of your> posts on this topic. In the very post I'm responding> to, for example, you said:> Again, I understand that you don't believe this is> true in all cases, but if you make this type of> statement in most reponses on this subject, can you> see how it could foster that impression? Like I said,> not trying to start and argument, just an observation> of how what you intended to say could have been> misconstrued.Not actually wanting to get into it(at least not strongly) again, either, but this did sum up one of my points on what I've been trying to say to Dave on this thread, and my last thread mainly between Dave and I.HollyHolly
Unregistered
Unregistered
>>>>> Zorak wrote: "Why do long-hair fans ALWAYS assume> that people cave in> to pressure when they cut their hair? Why do they> always assume that> the only rational reason to cut one's long hair short> is to "get rid> of the damaged ends?" Jena wrote: "One thing> I've noticed on this> board is that there seems to be an assumption that> anyone with long> hair who cuts it has not done so out of free will> without any influencing> pressures."> To Zorak (and Jena),> I don't believe either of these statements. What I> would like> to know is why you assume that fans of long hair abide> by a standard> party line (i.e. are of one mind)? I have spoken in> the past against> coercive pressures but I do not and would never assume> that (a) a given> haircut decision was due only, or even in part, to> such pressures, or> (b) that there is only one rational reason to cut> one's hair.> Is it not alright with you that I have raised the> issue of coercive> pressure as an unfortunate reason for SOME people> having cut their hair?> DaveHello Dave:You know what I have notice that everytime a long hair person brings up reality into the board we are classified as you long hair fans, you people etc so I was thinking that we should order some T shirts and start a club called long hair fans or the you group and have fun. Now all we need is the list of the people who belong to the you group lolOkay I am poking fun because you know my reasons for it. It is not the first time I read this comment about being part of the you group. It is labeling and I am laughing so hard. Don't worry Dave, those comments are wrong about you. Some people on this board loves to label people . I find it funny because it is so silly .
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
I've always admired Jerry for knowing what looks fantastic on her and sticking with it regardless of the pendulum swings of fashion over the years, so perhaps this latest trim is just a bit of an attempt, as many people often do, to have the outside reflect or even instigate some inner personal change. (If she wanted to spite Mic, she'd cut off his girlfriends ponytail!) Anyway, its not too short though, still well below the shoulders, so not too drastic a departure from her usual classic long locks. As long as she did it for herself and not because she's starting to feel the "you're too old for long hair" pressure its cool.As far as her hair being thin or just lying against her head, geez, what is hair supposed to do? Stand on end? Stick six or eight inches out from the head? Poof up like a balloon? Hair doesn't naturally do those things, it lays, sleek and graceful like Jerry's. (Ok, if you have naturally curly hair it can do those things, and they look great too if thats your type and texture of hair but not everyone's hair will or can look like that.) Now if reproduced big hair is your thing, more power to you as well, but I don't see anything so very wrong with the way straight hair is in its natural state. Some people actually prefer their hair that way. I'm betting Jerry looks just like that even when she rolls out of bed in the morning. Thats one of the perks of natural hair. I don't see why she should add bangs or change anything. This is the style she's obviously decided is what suits her and what she likes. If that doesn't gibe with some excrutiatingly exacting standard of beauty or perfection, well, perhaps that overly critical standard needs revising, not Jerry's hair. I mean if someone as lovely as Jerry isn't good enough just the way she is, who would be? It seems exceedingly hypercritical to me. Just makes me wonder, if the critics were to be judged by their own standards, how would they rate? After all, isn't it more than a little bit pompous to view and judge others only through the narrow lense of how closely they do, or do not adhere to the constraints of our own delicate aesthetic sensibilities? Is everyone in the world obligated to follow some mandated code of external beauty so as not to offend others who might be forced to look at them? Ouch. So restrictive. When I look at a person, these critiques are not what comes to my mind at all, I always figure they have very good personal reasons for the choices they've made and its solely their perogative. Who am I to judge those choices?Very best wishes to all,Dawn> Greetings from Boston where I am reading everything I> can get my hands on while I wait for my flight back to> Dallas to avoid boredom and to catch up on my reading> materials. :-)> I just read in two separate new articles that Jerry> Hall, of Mrs. Rolling Stone fame and admired for her> waist length tresses has just "chopped off a good> 6 inches".> Apparently the recent divorce/annullment/whatever has> motivated her to search for new ways to live her life> and that includes chopping 6 inches of her glorious> blonde locks.> I am saddened that she did this since I always admired> her willingness to sport her long locks even as she> approached her 40s.> Unfortunately the fashion industry puts tremendous> pressure on long haired people to conform and many> women feel the need to cut their hair during major> times of life change like marriage, divorce, having> children...etc.,> The sad thing is that so many approve of Jerry's new> shorter look. Again an indicator of society and the> need to conform.> Thoughts?> Best wishes,> Karen
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
> As far as her hair being thin or just lying against> her head, geez, what is hair supposed to do? Stand on> end?Thin hair often looks better shorter. It's unfortunate that some people have thin hair, but if I did, I'd certainly want to make it look as healthy and thick as possible. Long, thin hair adds a lot of age to a person. There are many ways to add body to hair, from a simple fluffing out with the fingers to using styling gel and a hair dryer. Having "body" in the hair is not the same as having "big" hair.>I mean if> someone as lovely as Jerry isn't good enough just the> way she is, who would be?Dawn, sweetheart, we're talking about *hair*, not her personality. Some of us have open minds and like listening to suggestions on how to better ourselves, whether it be physically or psychologically. People who don't grow stagnate and often become bitter and defensive when they grow older and see change around them. Jerry did not personally ask us for our opinions, yet since she's a public figure with whom most of us are familiar, it's beneficial to discuss her hair, so if someone else has hair very similar to hers, then she may garner some suggestions.It seems exceedingly> hypercritical to me. Just makes me wonder, if the> critics were to be judged by their own standards, how> would they rate?Hey, no one gave me those little cards with numbers to hold up! {grin} Is it really that threatening to you that we're discussing someone's hair? I don't recall anyone saying that Jerry looked terrible. If we aren't to offer opinions, then why is this forum here?>Is everyone in the world> obligated to follow some mandated code of external> beauty so as not to offend others who might be forced> to look at them?So, as my subject line stated, "who pissed in your Cheerios? (sorry, but I about died laughing the very first time I heard that a week or so ago...) Come on, we were offering suggestions and opinions on her hair. *That's it*.No one said he was offended by her look at all. You are so uptight and take the subject of hair so seriously -- lighten up!Okay, I mean no disrespect, but here's what I honestly think. You've stated before that you'll *never* cut your hair, so whenever you hear that someone has cut her hair, you fly off the handle and immediately think she was hogtied and forced into it! I can't help but wonder if you are very happy in life with the extreme defensiveness you display anytime someone talks about cutting hair, as if it were castrating a person!Dawn, some people *want* to cut their hair. And some people look better with shorter hair. People will wear their hair the way they like it. But it doesn't mean they look good in it. And it doesn't mean others won't have an opinion about it.There's a time and place for everything. I seriously doubt any of us here would walk up to Miss Hall and offer our opinions on her hair if we met her! But in the context of a forum board about hair politics, the discussion is highly appropriate.Dawn, you will never have to cut your hair if you don't want. Please repeat that 100 times and try to calm down whenever you hear the words "hair" and "cut" in the same sentence. They simply aren't feared by everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic