Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Real World

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Real World
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
A person I trust mentioned something to me the other day,that I think this message board could help me with.I'm one semester away from from MBA, so come this fall I will be looking for job in the business world (probably high end sales)I have been wearing my hiar in a inverted bob style for about a year now. It has gotten shorter and shorter. Right now it is lip length and angle up to the top of my optical bone. The back is tappered short, #1 at the bottom of the hairline.It has been suggested that I tone down my look, I just got a haircut a few days ago so it is pretty short right now.It is going to take awhile to even out and grow out, One of my thoughts is to just take it on the chin and get it all cut short and then grow it out. I'm not a long hair fan, so the longest I would go is jaw length. Am I over recating or is this reality.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
>Dear Anne:My background consists of high end sales as you mentioned. I was in marketing and all the companies that I represented demanded a rep that could really represent them . The sales I am talking about were dealing with doctors,boutiques etc and reps were easily making 60,000, 100,000 or more in a year. Looks is everything. The company that you will be working for and your clients will study how you dress , how you wear your hair, your attitude , etc. You are certainly not picking a easy industry. It is the most difficult industry to survive as it is very much cut throat. Good luck Anne. I loved it at the time and I am out of the industry by choice because my husband died and I have children to take care of.The only advice I will share with you please do not dye your hair blue, pink or strange colors because you will be dealing with older clients and you must be taken seriously. Being a female also means that you will have a tougher time climbing that ladder of success. If you are on the road , men will think you are an easy target to sleep with etc. I been there and so has many other female sales reps.For this reason appearance is everything. Fashionable clothes is a must especially if you are dealing with professional clients. Fashonable also mean a nice suit with skirt, nothing too short, nothing that shows your breast etc. Your hair style must be something that give the message that you are mature , responsible andknow what you are doing. Go and see a very good stylist and work with the stylist.In many ways reps are like models because we are studied by our clients and that few minutes can make you or break you when you meet them for the first time. If you end up liking like this punk don't ever expect to bring in the high level income.Good luck Anne. If you have any more concerns you can email me.
Horsefeathers View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsefeathers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
I will share with you please do not> dye your hair blue, pink or strange colors because you> will be dealing with older clients and you must be> taken seriously. Being a female also means that you> will have a tougher time climbing that ladder of> success. If you are on the road , men will think you> are an easy target to sleep with etc. I been there and> so has many other female sales reps.> For this reason appearance is everything. Fashionable> clothes is a must especially if you are dealing with> professional clients. Fashonable also mean a nice suit> with skirt, nothing too short, nothing that shows your> breast etc.She only asked about a hairdo!;) Don't need to tell her how to dress, for corn sakes!Horsefeathers
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> I will share with you please do not> She only asked about a hairdo!;) Don't need to tell> her how to dress, for corn sakes!> HorsefeathersWhy are you so upset Horsefeathers? the advice isn't for you , is it?Her friend said something that she needed to hear and now she heard from a professional rep the ropes . It a whole package and it is important. Only reps know how important image is in that industry. It is only up to Anne to listen to it or not. In fact I would suggest that she studies others female in the industry to see what she would like to be like. Mentors are common. IN fact if she has the opportunity she should try to make a good friend in that industry that is very successful so that she can learn from her in that territory.Really Horsefeathers if I was looking for advice I would appreciate hearing the whole package deal so I could decide what is best for me. I treated Anne the way I would wanted to be treated and that is with kindness. I wasn't insulting Anne. I am trying to help her succeed. I have no idea how she dresses up. I am sure it is fine but she needs to work on her image. This is the real world and in that industry it is very cut throat. One has to dress for success period. No room of errors. Bring in the sales and no room for error in appearance.If you don't like reading something and it wasn't meant for you why don't you just move on to another post. She asked for help and I offered my knowledge.
anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> A person I trust mentioned something to me the other> day,that I think this message board could help me> with.> I'm one semester away from from MBA, so come this fall> I will be looking for job in the business world> (probably high end sales)> I have been wearing my hiar in a inverted bob style> for about a year now. It has gotten shorter and> shorter. Right now it is lip length and angle up to> the top of my optical bone. The back is tappered> short, #1 at the bottom of the hairline.> It has been suggested that I tone down my look, I just> got a haircut a few days ago so it is pretty short> right now.> It is going to take awhile to even out and grow out,> One of my thoughts is to just take it on the chin and> get it all cut short and then grow it out. I'm not a> long hair fan, so the longest I would go is jaw> length. Am I over recating or is this reality.I understand what it takes in the business world in my response to Diane, all I'm askin is the hair style OK. I'm not a freak or anything, matter of fact the style is very well groomed. Inverted bobs are pretty cool, just need to know if it is really that bad in the business world
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
Hiya Anne,Since in sales "image is everything", I'd say that as long as the style isn't too extreme you're fine. What's too extreme? Well, for example if the style you are describing is clippered with a #1 all the way up to the occipital bone and the rest is one length, resulting in a very heavy weight line angling from the occipital to your lip, then that would probably be a bit much for the mainstream business world in sales. However, if it is graduated from the occipital down, that would add a bit more of a conservative element to it and probably make it acceptable.Not knowing what type of sales you want to do, I would say that you may find some very conservative companies that may still see even that style a bit much. You know, companies that think every woman in the business world should have the same standard bob. My guess is that if that is the case, you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway. =)As usual,JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
> I understand what it takes in the business world in my> response to Diane, all I'm askin is the hair style OK.> I'm not a freak or anything, matter of fact the style> is very well groomed. Inverted bobs are pretty cool,> just need to know if it is really that bad in the> business worldDear Anne:I thought I was clear enought to you .Eventhought one might know what it takes in the business world it really takes over one year to become the professional one wants to become as a whole package.For that reason do your research on the hair styles that other female reps wear in your territory. Your territory is diffirent that other areas. YOur territory might nor might not be conservative. Mine was very conservative. Talk to other reps and ask what type of territory you have . Prepare yourself for your future clientel. Find a mentor in the industry you are entering. Go and talk to a realiable stylist and tell them which industry you are entering. Basically this demands research Anne. It might sound silly but really Anne this is very logic thing to do. I really can't tell you much more as I really don't know your territory and most reps will give you the same advice.
Sabrina-licensed stylist View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrina-licensed stylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:20pm
> I understand what it takes in the business world in my> response to Diane, all I'm askin is the hair style OK.> I'm not a freak or anything, matter of fact the style> is very well groomed. Inverted bobs are pretty cool,> just need to know if it is really that bad in the> business worldOne of my customers works in the main offices of sears. shes in her 40's and looks great, hers is chin lenght.I instanly thought, between cheek and chin lenth for front, and occipital bone in back. i would suggest letting the back grow to at leat a #2 gard. also, if you have the neck line, grow some fringe, short ones. it will soften the back of your neck. I will also put really long layers in and stack the back of the cut. this way you can really dress it up. or wear if funky if you like to go to clubs. But yes i agree with i belive its diane, see what all of your future co-workers hair styles look like. But Your hair cut also helps describe the persons personality. So dont wear something that isnt you. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic