Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair-based attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sabrina-licensed stylist View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrina-licensed stylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair-based attention
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:20pm
i am a red head also. there are so man blonde and brunettes, but red is just something all togther different.i love the l'oreal mega reds, level six. i mix three shades together and it has been my favorite color. My hair is my best and proudest feature. When i walk into a room i like people to notice me for my hair. but its not so wild that it looks fake. i love being red, going on 6 years. i have also been a blond, hated the blonde. Dickson professinal color also has some amazing reds and they dont fade as much.
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Yes, having long, naturally-curly hair does attract attention. I guess I buck the fashion of straightening your hair. (I do straighten it sometimes, very rarely though).
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
I'm a bottle red too! I am a level 6 Red (medium auburn).
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
What I think is kind of interesting is how people define the terms "long" and "short" as they apply to hair!Once, at a gym, I was supposed to meet someone in an area. I was told she had long dark hair. I went to the place and looked around and didn't see anyone who matched that description at all. Eventually, a woman with dark hair just *barely* touching her shoulders approached me. Apparently she was the one with "long" hair! I personally would have described her hair as simply "shoulder length" or "short/medium." Yet another time a woman with extremely long hair described another woman who had hair just almost the same length (just barely above the shoulders) as "short!" Personally, I think "shoulder length" is a better description and leaves less to interpretation. Anything shorter is "short" and anything longer is "long."
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
>Just wanted to share that today I wouldn't have notice but this guy has long hair so I happen to look and he was one hell of a very good looking male on a motocycle.Okay I just to share this. lol
Kathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> Hey there, just have a question I thought I'd toss out> to you folks, especially those with especially long,> unusual, and/or otherwise remarkable hair. Do you ever> get the feeling people define you by your hair (i.e.> do people call you "the guy with the hair",> "the redhead" or something similar) and how> does it make you feel? Has anyone here ever cut, dyed,> or otherwise altered their hair so as to escape this> kind of labelling? Or do you shrug away this attention> or have other ways to cope?> Just thought this might be an interesting topic. Take> care.> KimI just went from a very fashionable look of a layered bob to a vey short around the ears, tapered in the back permed not body wave, but old fashioned permed look. I'm 27, so I'm sure there will be plenty of comments on my look, I've heard some already, but I love the look, so I went for it.
Kathy
Suzie Q View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzie Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
YES YES YES, At my highschool, I am a bubbaly, yes i have tons of energy Curly haired girl. I am not know b/c of my hair, but the energy that comes with it, My best freind is the same was as me (we could pass as twins) and she gets the same thing. Everyone says We get our energy b/c of my hair, I don't know what they would do if We straightened it......
Kestra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> What color do you use? I'm a bottle red too! Dark> auburn usually.> Tks.> CallieAh, another sister of the crimson bottle! :::high five:::I've worn just about every shade of red from carrot to ruby (current shade) but as long as it's red, and as long as it's long, it's me.I gave up on single shades long ago, and with the help of a wonderful stylist/colour expert, mix a few different tones into one colour that is just perfect for me.Kestra
Callie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
What color do you use? I'm a bottle red too! Dark auburn usually.Tks.Callie
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
This is a pretty good subject that I fall into. I am a guy who does not like the status-quo for stereotypical male haircuts. I look like seargent Carter from Gomer Pile when I have the crew cut and other short cuts don't look much better. I discovered that I love my hair in a bob just below my ears with bangs, but guess what? I get looks, comments, pressure, and get labeled by people just because I have this style. Even my stylist told me that this was the cut that best suited my features. Why can't a guy have a cut that suits his features best just like a girl without getting hassled? I am the guy with the girlish bob haircut. I love it though I must admit that I have caved and had it cut with layers a couple of months ago. I hate it and I am going to let it grow back into my lovely bob. By the way, people do tend to remember my name and face more readily when I have a wonderful bob.> Hey there, just have a question I thought I'd toss out> to you folks, especially those with especially long,> unusual, and/or otherwise remarkable hair. Do you ever> get the feeling people define you by your hair (i.e.> do people call you "the guy with the hair",> "the redhead" or something similar) and how> does it make you feel? Has anyone here ever cut, dyed,> or otherwise altered their hair so as to escape this> kind of labelling? Or do you shrug away this attention> or have other ways to cope?> Just thought this might be an interesting topic. Take> care.> Kim
Jamie :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
>> Now, I answer quite readily to "the> redhead."> KestraHello:I love seeing beautiful long red hair and it is very rare. Once in while I see someone and I really notice how they look. Such a pretty hair color and so many diffirent shades within that red color.
Kestra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
Having long red hair does make it a lot easier to jog someone's memory. The name, they may not get. The face may blur, but mention long red hair (though it's only bra legnth at the moment)and I'm instantly recognised.A few years back, I was experimenting with colour and style (now, I've found what's truly "me") while working in retail. I remember one customer who kept asking for the clerk who had served her before (about a month previous): "that nice girl with the blonde hair." It took a few minutes of persuading for her to understand that it was me. She looked at me like I'd had plastic surgery for a moment, but that was about it.Now, I answer quite readily to "the redhead."Kestra
Kim,the not-so-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim,the not-so-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
Hi there. I am glad this topic has been of interest to people, and that it has prompted so many good responses!Personally, I get very little attention for my hair (although my friends and dates generally like it), either negative or positive. In high school, people used to tease me about it a little---one boy used to call me Rapunzel, and another used to remove my bobby pins when it was up for marching band. It was the eighties, and most people were getting bobs---I was just totally out of the whole "trend loop."Now I think it's great that I stuck with how I liked my hair, rather than cutting it in order to fit in with the crowd. It gave me a more independent sense of style, and I never have to laugh at my old year book pictures due to dated, "eighties" hair!Good comments, everyone!Kim
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
> Hey there, just have a question I thought I'd toss out> to you folks, especially those with especially long,> unusual, and/or otherwise remarkable hair. Do you ever> get the feeling people define you by your hair (i.e.> do people call you "the guy with the hair",> "the redhead" or something similar) and how> does it make you feel? Has anyone here ever cut, dyed,> or otherwise altered their hair so as to escape this> kind of labelling? Or do you shrug away this attention> or have other ways to cope?> Just thought this might be an interesting topic. Take> care.> KimI like the question and answers. As a service tech. for a alarm company many times our customers do not remember our names. Our office personnel often tell me Mrs./Mr. so-so called to say something and when asked who did the work for them they answer, Oh I do not remember his name but he had long hair in a ponytail. Does it bother me? No if that is the only way they remember. Thanks John
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
> Hey there, just have a question I thought I'd toss out> to you folks, especially those with especially long,> unusual, and/or otherwise remarkable hair. Do you ever> get the feeling people define you by your hair (i.e.> do people call you "the guy with the hair",> "the redhead" or something similar) and how> does it make you feel? Has anyone here ever cut, dyed,> or otherwise altered their hair so as to escape this> kind of labelling? Or do you shrug away this attention> or have other ways to cope?> Just thought this might be an interesting topic. Take> care.> KimHi. I am at the beginning of my journey to grow my hair as long as I can and all I can say is that I CANT WAIT until the day I am known as the girl with all that hair!! Lisa the newbie :)
Lily de Wilde View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily de Wilde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
Hi!Round here I'm known by several shop-keepers (I tend to visit the same shops over an' over again...) as "the girl with the long hair".This strikes me as somewhat peculiar as my hair has never been longer than waist length, and I've seen a lot of people around who Also have long hair. Why me?!Still, nice to be remembered... And better than what the Library calls me, "the girl who reads the funny [peculiar] books"!"Lily"P.S. I guess the reason Could be that all my friends have gone through a series of hairstyles in the last 5 years, and yet I have remained persistantly long-haired. I really don't know!
Callie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
I started growing my hair out ten years ago and with only a couple "real" cuts in those years, I have hair to my rear which is where I like it. I am described as "the girl with really long hair". I like that I have what I think of as a positive feature which people use to describe me.I know there are people who critisize it, especially women with short hair, but they'll never deter me. My world greatly improved as a result of growing my hair out. Men found me more attractive, the positive attention gave confidence and I'm better all around for it. I recommend giving it a try!!I've been married to my dream man for 4 1/2 years now and he adores my hair. I often kid and say that he would divorce me if I ever cut my hair.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
I did enjoy this story, Diane!JadeWell I have a funny one to share. A while back before> I met my boyfriend he was friendly with this other> woman and he had no idea that she was interested in> him. Anyways one day he shared with her that he had a> cup of coffee with me and he started to describe my> personality etc.> Well reality soon hit him as she turned on him and> said in a snorly voice" why don't you go and have> another coffee with the hairy one!!' meaning me. lol> He told her that he didn't appreciate that comment and> she continued to call me the hairy one to him .> Well now it our private joke when my legs are not> shaved or I have messy hair.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
Hi, Kim!Glad to see your post. Hope you have been well!Your question made me think of a story with the drycleaners. One of the ladies told me the story.The ladies there are so friendly and helpful to me and always try to remind me when the clothes are done. I take my slips and place on my desk and then forget. Periodically, they will call me which I greatly appreciate. Anyway, I know just about all of the ladies there. A group of them was pulling all my clothes (winter storage time:)) and one lady asked whose clothes were these. Another lady gave her my name and then started to try to refresh the other lady's memory. The other lady could not remember me until the woman said, "you know, the girl with all that hair." Then the lady nodded and said,Oh, yea." I had to laugh when the lady who told me the story told me about this woman's expression and how the hair was like an instant reminder for this lady--clear as a bell.Anyway, Kim, I don't mind at all. Frankly, I was kind of amazed that the lady couldn't recall when the other woman talked about my wild T-shirts, how tall I was, etc. I'm glad that the hair was a reminder rather than something like "you know, the girl whose Spanish needs work." As an aside, the ladies have helped me with that big time:)I have to say that I don't think I've ever had a problem with overidentification in relation to hair length. I've felt that people who've mattered have seen me as an individual in toto. As for the snipers and long-hair player haters, they don't really count in my world.Good question, Kim:)Bye for now,Jade21>Hey there, just have a question I thought I'd toss out> to you folks, especially those with especially long,> unusual, and/or otherwise remarkable hair. Do you ever> get the feeling people define you by your hair (i.e.> do people call you "the guy with the hair",> "the redhead" or something similar) and how> does it make you feel? Has anyone here ever cut, dyed,> or otherwise altered their hair so as to escape this> kind of labelling? Or do you shrug away this attention> or have other ways to cope?> Just thought this might be an interesting topic. Take> care.> Kim
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
>> I love your topic Kim:Well I have a funny one to share. A while back before I met my boyfriend he was friendly with this other woman and he had no idea that she was interested in him. Anyways one day he shared with her that he had a cup of coffee with me and he started to describe my personality etc.Well reality soon hit him as she turned on him and said in a snorly voice" why don't you go and have another coffee with the hairy one!!' meaning me. lolHe told her that he didn't appreciate that comment and she continued to call me the hairy one to him .Well now it our private joke when my legs are not shaved or I have messy hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic