Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A survey about stylist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Diane from Canad View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A survey about stylist
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
I am about to change stylist. I choose my female stylist at the time because she had long hair down to her buttocks and I felt that she would certainly know how to trim hair. I learned a while back that she cut her hair and it has seem to affect her attitude a tiny bit. She is great but sometimes I feel that she would like me to change because she change.Lately I noticed a male stylist that has a ponytail and I heard some good things about him. My attitude is if he has long hair maybe he would be more capable of appreciating my hair. I also do a lot of research on stylists.How do you pick your stylist?
Callie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
I agree with your idea that a stylist with long hair will appreciate your hair. People who don't have or have never had really long hair can't appreciate our protectiveness over our hair. People I've known who have truly long hair are way more particular about their cuts than others. We have more to lose.I had a supreme stylist several years ago when I was "merely" below bra length who gave me an actual style. It was sort of a long Shannon Daughtery. She took 45 minutes, without washing, to complete the cut. It was the best cut for long hair I have ever had. I went to her once more and then she moved to Florida. I've never seen her since, nor has anyone been able to duplicate the style.I asked another stylist (who was very chopped and processed) to attempt the style. I ended up with a long shag -- losing about 4 inches of length which upset me greatly. The layered ends flipped up and looked awful unless I curled my hair.Stick with your intuition and find someone who has long hair!!!Callie
The other Dawn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The other Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> I am about to change stylist. I choose my female> stylist at the time because she had long hair down to> her buttocks and I felt that she would certainly know> how to trim hair. I learned a while back that she cut> her hair and it has seem to affect her attitude a tiny> bit. She is great but sometimes I feel that she would> like me to change because she change.My favorite stylist had hair about 3 inches on top and buzzed up the back....she did the best job on my hair when it was long of anyone I visited. I've ironically enough had better luck w/ short haired stylists in generally, why, I have no idea! A good stylist is good regardless of their own personal hairstyle choices.DawnRelated Link:Dawn's Secret Garden
Kestra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Good thread, this one. I've found the two best stylists I ever had after horrid disasters that needed to be fixed, and pronto.The first one, I came to after avoiding stylists, period, while I recovered from not following my instincts. I'd gone in to a chain salon with pictures, but no particular style in mind. My hair was mid-back, and I had a little attack of the heebies when the stylist came into the waiting area to meet me (which I did think was a good thing for her to do.) She did ask questions and offer opinions, but my instinct niggled at me once I got a look at her platinum blond buzz (looked great on her, but not my personal style) I ended up with below-shoulder legnth layers, which were slicked down with what I later found out wasn't mousse (as I'd been told) but laminate. I literally couldn't do a thing with my hair for over a week, and it wasn't that great after that, either. I didn't feel like "me." Thus began stylist-phobia.A few months after that, I found that I kept watching a particular stylist in another shop whenever I happened to walk by. I would stop and watch how she worked, being very careful, friendly, etc. I decided it was time to stop living in hats, so I asked her name and booked an appointment, telling her that I'd had a bad experience and was nervous.Well, this gal not only worked her magic on the cut, but convinced me to switch to a professional, permanent colour (I'd been doing it at home with drugstore colours.) I stuck with her for years, until she married and decided to stay home. She became a friend as well as a stylist, and I frankly figured she'd be a hard act to follow. After all, I'd been referring people left and right to her for years.(in case anyone's interested, her hair was short when I started going to her, but grew to below shoulder later)I went back to the same salon, to try another stylist. Not as good luck this time. Though the new gal had long, full hair, which I'd always admired, there wasn't the same rapport. Instead of my usual red colour, I ended up blonde. I hated it. The cut was fine, but the colour...oh, no. Not on me. Coincidentally, it was the stylist's same colour. She'd been conferring with another client about new client's cut while doing my colour. Not a good sign. I went back to the salon, with a picture of what my hair usually looked like, and the manager offered to have the same stylist correct it for free.While shopping elsewhere, I happened to see in another salon, a woman with exactly the colour I had asked for. So, I went in,explained my situation, and asked who did her hair. Not only did she give me the colour specialit's name, but asked her to come over and consult right away. I cancelled the appointment at the first salon and happily paid for corrective colour. I've been there ever since, and am now referring people left and right to this gal.I feel extremely blessed to have a stylist who's not only a colour expert, but adores long hair (hers is long and curly.) I think it's definetly important to have a stylist who appreciates long hair, so they understand what's going on in the client's head, not only what's on top of it. Kestra, the happy redhead. >;-)
Sabrina-Licensed Stylist View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrina-Licensed Stylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
i have a chin length bob, and just because its short doesnt mean i dont know what its like to have long hair. i used to have waist lenght hair.i am a quick cutter, but very good at what i do. i dont get into a haircut and goof around. i dont talk alot because im concentrating on the cut. and my clients appreciate that. i can cut mens hair in 5 min and womens usually around 20, if theyve had a bad cut, i go slowe because i dont want them to freak out. i take alot of pride in my cuts. thats my name on them. talk to other people, watch them. talk to their clients after they have left the store, ask about him or her. Find someone that takes alot of pride in their work. If a person askes my thier opinion or to just cut it, i wont. i will talk to them first. Im not wearing the cut, they are and they are paying for it, not me. if i give that person a bad cut, they will tell everyone. i certainly dont want a bad rep. so talk to the stylist as well as their clients. youll find a good one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic