Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Decision?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Decision?
    Posted: April 28 2000 at 6:21pm
I am a little late in this but not too late that you already cut your hair. Below your butt must have been beautiful. Below butt to buzz is too dramatic. Don't do what everyone else is doing. Grow your hair back out to your thighs. It is the most beautiful length to me.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:20pm
> From Mark> I want to tell you to save your hair. YOU SHOULD GROW> YOUR HAIR BACK DOWN TO YOUR WAIST. A bob or clipper> cut> will destroy your female identity.For goodness sakes that sounds like that only identity that one has is in the hair. What about character, personality etc? I am a long hair female and I used to be a short hair female and nothing happen either way to the identity part. I am me and that won't change. (Diane)Long hair is an> artistic> creation of a ladies identity.I have always said that the way we wear our hair is a creative way of expressing our innner selves. Again nothing to do with long hair itself( Diane)> YOUR HAIR IS YOUR TREASURE,NOT A TROUBLESOME> APPENDAGE.To some people long hair can be a real pain. I agree that it can be a real treasure. also. ( Diane)>>A
BALD WOMAN View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BALD WOMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:20pm
> FROM BALD WOMANCHRISTY,GO TO A BARBER SHOP AND SHAVE YOUR HEAD TOTALLY BALD.HAVE THE BARBER PLUG IN THE CLIPPERS WITH NO ATTACHMENTS.START BY HAVING THE BARBER RUN THE CLIPPERS DOWN THRUTHE MIDDLE PART OF YOUR HEAD. YOU WILL HAVE A NICEWHITE STRIP ON YOUR HEAD. JUST KEEP RUNNINGTHE CLIPPERS,AT THE BASE OF YOUR SCALP, THRU YOUR THICK HEAVY HAIR,UNTIL YOU ARE TOTALLY BALD. YOU CAN SEND THATTHICK WAIST LENGTH HAIR FALLING OFF ALL OVER HEAD ANDDOWN TO FLOOR. IT TAKES JUST TWO MINUTES TO SHAVE OFFALL YOUR MIDDLE OF THE BACK HAIR. CHRISTY LOOK IN THEMIRROR AND SEE HOW GOOD YOU LOOK WITH A BALD HEAD.THE NEW CORDLESS BARBER SHOP CLIPPERS CAN TAKE OFFTHICK,HEAVY,WAIST LENGTH HAIR,DOWN TO TOTALLY BALDALL OVER IN LESS THAN TWO MINUTES. YOU CAN SHOW THEMEN YOUR BALD HEAD,AT YOUR WORK SITEGOOD LUCKBALD WOMAN.
dc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:20pm
Is it possible for Karen or Dave to publish the Geographic Indicator No. (IP No.?) for suspected trolls? That's how I nailed the last one on TLHS. Dude tried to come across as two different people (Jennifer and Crystal Gayle Clearwater) from two different areas, but the indicator was almost identical. Also, beware of those who come to their aid for their testimonials. They seem to be in cahoots with them. Tired of trolls getting off at our expense.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:20pm
> MarkHave you made a final decision on what hair style youwant?
Sabrina-Licensed Stylist View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrina-Licensed Stylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Christy, first of all long hair is beautiful, if its taken care of properly.(using the correct shampoo, conditioners, and regualar trims)If you are still considering going shorter, my advise is to go a couple of inches at a time. Go somewhere that has a good rep. Show up a little early and watch all of the stylist in the shop. pick one that you like or think youd be comfortable. talk to her, explain your tragedy. Make sure she totally understand you. Our combs have inches marked on them, have her show you how many inches you want lookes like, yes every persons of an inch is different.When someone that comes in with long, even short hair, i measure with my comb, because those are my haircuts walking out of this salon. if a person gets a bad cut, their gonna tell 10 or more people about it. If its good, they may tell 3.Please dont think all stylist are scissor happy. this one is deffinatly not! And ignore mark! Cutting your hair does not dammage your hair follicle. first thing, your hair follicle is in your scalp, so only whats going on in your body will afect your hair follicle. and if you get it shorter, it will only thicken it, because the ends are 95% of the time thinner because of stress on the ends. I know of a lady that had hair down to her ankels. her husband went into the shop every time and made sure they only cut 1/2" each time.(they went every month). He would never let her cut it. well he went away for a week. She went to her stlyist and had him cut it into a chin length bob that was shorter in back than front. Her husband loved it and said it took 10 years off her! so you wont know until you do it. As for being older and having long hair, it depends upon the way you wear it.As you get older, everything drops, right? well if you have all one length hair, it makes it worse. i always recommend long layers especially around the face, it softens everything. i dont recommend it for really! long hair, it makes the side look think. So what you really need to do is go around, talk to stylist, find one youd be comfortable with. I work in a mastercuts. we have to keep up with whats in style. we also have training seminars, and video tapes to help us. i would advise going to a place like this. But deffinalty ask around and talk to people, again ignore mark.
Kim, the Not-so-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the Not-so-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Just wanted to say that I totally agreed with your response to Mark. Although my personal tastes run to longer hair, they are not as strong as my belief that everyone has a right to wear their hair as they please (you know, as long as it doesn't endanger anyone! LOL). It's not any better to compel someone to grow their hair than to cut it.I don't think cutting one's hair destroys one's female identity; as you rightly pointed out, the plumbing is the important part. We have learned to associate long hair with femininity---it's a societal, not a biological thing. If a woman drastically cuts her hair, she may be perceived as unfeminine at first, but if it's that important to her, she will find ways to express her femininity nonetheless.My opinion---if you are asked to cut your hair for work and choose not to, stick to your decision. If you do decide to take the plunge and cut it, don't let anyone make you feel guilty; it's a decision we can only make for ourselves.Kim
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
FROM Mark Part twoYES,You have a very big decision Christy you hair is notyour problem. The negative people putting pressure onyou is the problem. Other ladies can be jealous ofyour long pretty hair,and they will enjoy seeing thebarber clippers run your long hair.A BEAUTICIAN CAN CUT A LADIES VERY LONG HAIR WITH A PAIROF BARBER CLIPPERS DOWN TO ONE INCH ALL OVER A LADIES HEAD IN ONLY TWO MINUTES. SOME BEAUTICIANS CHOP A LADIES VERYLONG HAIR WITH SCISSORS WITH STUNNING SPEED,AND THEN ITIS TOO LATE. ONE LADY IN MY TOWN GOT THE BIGGEST HAIRCUTOF THERE LIFE,WITH BARBER CLIPPER HAPPY,FEMALE BEAUTICIAN. A beautician was fired for running the barber clippersthru the thick waist length hair of a 30 year old ladythat I know. The beautician plugged in the clippers andwith a one inch butchguard,and ran the barber clippersthru the ladies beautiful waist length hair with rapidand stunning speed. The ladies hair was sheared to oneinch all over her in less that two minutes. The beauticianintentionally gave the lady this lady a one inch crewcutwith stunning speed. Barber clippers can cut fasterthat scissors,in a female beauticians hands.The lady cried and screamed,a she looked three feet ofher thick,long,hair on the floor. This lady bought twolong haired wigs to cover up crewcut hairstyle. She onlyasked for two inch trim of here hair,and ended up a lostof three feet of hair on the floor. The lady was a stateof shock for one hour. How could a beautcian be so cruelto shear off three feet of hair so quick? THE FEMALEBEAUTICIAN WAS JEALOUS OF THE LADIES LONG HAIR,AND JUSTSHEAR IT OFF,BECAUSE SHE WAS JEALOUS,OF THE GIRLS HAIR.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> I want to tell you to save your hair. YOU SHOULD GROW> YOUR HAIR BACK DOWN TO YOUR WAIST.She *should* do what *she* wants!> A bob or clipper cut will destroy your female identity.I think "destroy" is a bit strong. I definitely agree that long hair is the ultimate in femininity with regards to hair, but what about women who have cancer and treatments leave them with *no* hair? Long hair is definitely a feminine attribute in my opinion, but it is by no means the *only* one. I do believe that a pair of breasts and different "plumbing" between the legs also "may" play a role..... ;-) Hey, wait -- you also said a bob! There's a huge difference between a bob and a clipper cut.>Numerous haircuts willcause trauma on your hair follicles. Your hair may sufferdamage and become thinnner after a big haircut.Wait a minute. Actually, cutting off split ends will make the hair *healthier*. I understand that you love long hair, but Sir, you sound as bad as the people who say, "chop it off immediately!"> YOUR HAIR IS YOUR TREASURE,NOT A TROUBLESOME> APPENDAGE.I agree, but you also have to remember that she's the one who has to wash and wear it. I'm not trying to talk her into cutting it, but she should not feel guilty if she honestly wants it shorter. The important thing is that she has mixed emotions right now and it sounds like she really doesn't know what she wants. That's why I'd suggest she proceed *very* slowly to avoid heartache later.>A ladies waist length hair> is her treasure.*If* it's taken are of properly, then I agree! Long, greasy straggly ends are very unattractive.>A lady like you> could experience thinning hair after a big haircut.Where in the world do you get information like this? How on earth could *less* weight from a haircut contribute to thinning hair? I have cut my hair and it looked *much* thicker and heathier after I cut it.> HAIRRCUTS AND HAIR LOSS CAUSE A LOT OF ANXIETY IN> LADIES.Unless a woman is definitely ready for a major change, I'd agree!> IT IS HORRIBLE TO> SEE A YOUNG LADIES PRETTY,BRILLIANT HAIR ON THE FLOOR.If someone honestly cut off several inches, I think the best thing would be to donate it to a company that makes wigs for children who have cancer. That way, an innocent, but ill child definitely benefits.> THEN IT WILL TAKE YEARS TO GROW YOUR HAIR BACK.Very true, which is why a *major* cut is a major decision! But it's also important not to place such a "life-and-death" emphasis on hair. When people are so obsessed with their hair and think of it as an integral part of themselves, they're just setting themselves up for disaster if something does happen to their hair.Moderation, people, moderation! Not everyone wants super long hair in life! And if someone honestly wishes to cut it, she should not feel guilty for doing so. The important thing is to make sure that she really wants to do it and isn't being pressured to do so.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
From MarkI want to tell you to save your hair. YOU SHOULD GROWYOUR HAIR BACK DOWN TO YOUR WAIST. A bob or clipper cutwill destroy your female identity. You have already lost18 inches of hair. You have allready lost 3 years growth,to a scissor happy beautician. Long hair is an artisticcreation of a ladies identity. Numerous haircuts willcause trauma on your hair follicles. Your hair may sufferdamage and become thinnner after a big haircut.YOUR HAIR IS YOUR TREASURE,NOT A TROUBLESOME APPENDAGE.It is a very big decsion.for you. A lot of ladies arenever able to grow their hair back out to their waist.A LADY LIKE YOU NEEDS THE COURAGE TO GROW YOUR HAIR BACKDOWN TO YOUR WAIST. IGNORE THE PRESSURE OF OTHERS.the business world wants a woman to think of her hairas troublesome appaendage. A ladies waist length hairis her treasure.A lot of ladies would like to have the long,straighthair that you hair. CHRISTY if get on the barberchair think of all the ladies in this country who wouldlove to have long,thick,healthy hair. A lady like youcould experience thinning hair after a big haircut.HAIRRCUTS AND HAIR LOSS CAUSE A LOT OF ANXIETY IN LADIES.I HAVE SEEN MANY LADIES CRY FOR SEVERAL DAYS AT THE LOSSOF THEIR LONG HAIR IN BEAUTY SHOPS. IT IS HORRIBLE TOSEE A YOUNG LADIES PRETTY,BRILLIANT HAIR ON THE FLOOR.THEN IT WILL TAKE YEARS TO GROW YOUR HAIR BACK.MORE COMMENTS NEXT MESSAGE
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> I'm seriously considering> getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should> take the plunge and go all the way to a super short> clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of> intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care> of.Whoa there! First of all, I have a little bit of first-hand experience in this. Obviously, I haven't been in your shoes but I went from bottom of bra length to, well, definitely short. Only now, a few months later am I finally "okay" with it.Sometimes when you start to cut your hair, it escalates. "Oh, just little bit more." "Okay, let's go for two more inches." I honestly do understand your new-found fascination with super short hair. It's just so radically different that you almost "dare" yourself!Several points to make: First of all, even though your hair is still technically long, you should not bow to pressure to cut it even more to make it look more professional at all. I know I'll ruffle a few feathers, but the ultra long hair (depending on different careers, of course) simply isn't considered a "professional" "serious" style. However, your hair should be in excellent shape now and as long as you don't wear ultra frilly "little girl" type of hair ornaments (big, fluffy bows for instance), you can definitely carry off your length of hair professionally. For a very professional look, either wear it up or behind your shoulders. If you're giving a presentation and your hair is in front of you, it just automatically becomes a focal point, and you're not trying to display your hair, you're trying to display your talent and hard work!If you really decide you want your hair short, I'd honestly just go a few inches at a time. If you decide you've made a mistake, better to have only gone 2-4 inches as opposed to 10 to 12!! Also, a radical change will draw stares of pure shock from those who remember you with long hair, trust me!Will a clippercut be low maintenance? Absolutely. However, your price is versatile hair. If it's too short, you may appear radical. And I'm not sure which is worse -- having super long hair that wears a billboard that says, "hey, look at me," or having super short hair that says the same thing! Also, unless you're an avowed short hair lover, you will possibly suffer a bite out of self-esteem, since long hair (or at least longer than a clippercut!) is traditionally feminine. You'll appeal to the short hair fetishers and turn off men with more traditional tastes.I think it would be well worth the money if you're honestly considering this, to get a "virtual" haircut. Pin your hair back, so it's off your forehead and behind your shoulders and different hairstyles are virtually fitted onto your image. It obviously won't be an exact replica of what you'll look like, but it will give you a decent idea.Another suggestion is to buy a short wig and wear it. See how short hair "feels." It's definitely a different feeling, let me tell you! Many times I've "combed" my back where I've forgotten that there isn't any hair there!Also, do NOT rush into it. If you decide you really want shorter hair (I'd honestly stay away from clipper cuts), make an appointment two *weeks* after your decision, so that you have plenty of time to back out, if you wish.If worse comes to worse and you cut it and then hate it, it isn't the end of the world. Hair grows! But if you take a few cautionary steps, hopefully you can make the decision that is right for *you*.Best wishes!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
HELLO JK!!{grin} I've been in and out of town all summer but may actually settle down for a week or two, who knows.Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the story is total BS. As you well know, I really did cut off about a foot of hair a few months ago, which was a whole lot "less" than what happened to this "person." Except I didn't look in the mirror and say, "Oh joy, I'm so glad to get of all that hair."I said, "WHAT THE %$#@! HAVE YOU DONE TO YOURSELF!?!"(I wanted to make sure you were properly yelled at, mister....{grin}).But you know, I do have to say that undergoing a major change does put life in a new perspective. Although I was extremely upset with myself for quite awhile, I learned that one can endure a drastic haircut and not die! One just learns to concentrate more on other facets of life.> Go ahead an yell at me if you like, but I'm calling> b.s. on this one.> JF
Mark View Drop Down

> I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a> major change to consider.I'm a recent college> graduate,and just entered the business world.My> problem is the pressure from others to conform to> their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a> fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong> era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow> long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically> T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an> adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and> makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very> long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long> braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or> for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work,> I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down> and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a> change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up,> is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing> and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy,> thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6"> above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years> I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon> afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled> back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip> and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down> ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my> hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle> of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of> my new job and the adjustment from college to> work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and> pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look> good in a nice short cut.> She went on and on about how someone like me needed a> conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I> would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I> just> wanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I> told her that.I probably should have left right> then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only> wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side> edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my> hair and said I had some considerable splitend> damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut> off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then> proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6"> above my waist.At first I didn't realize how much> she had cut until I turned around after the first cut> and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw> about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too> late.I protested and was very upset,but there was> nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and> stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why> are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the> haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are> trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The> pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose> hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort> clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went> so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and> recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering> getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should> take the plunge and go all the way to a super short> clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of> intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care> of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd> probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A> month ago I would never have thought about cutting my> hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut> was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly> appreciated.Thanks!> Christy
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Christy,You need to be true to yourself. Hairstyle choice is a very personal thing, and spouse, co-workers, nor friends should tell you how to wear your hair. You live with the choice, so you make the choice.It seems you are thinking about a short style. Maybe you want the short style, but you are afraid to try one. You should remember that short hairstyles can be attractive even the clippercuts you mentioned. The ability to pull off a short style comes from within. If you like the style and it is appropriate for you, you will be confident and feel you look good. Attitude can make all the difference in the world.However, if you got the haircut, then felt you hated it, this would definitely affect your interdealings with others. You would not feel pretty, nor confident, and this attitude would show.As much as we like feedback on choices from others, and hairstylist are very prone to give unsolictied feedback, only consider their opinion as their personal preferences. It is also very impolite of others to give unsolicited feedback on your hairstyle choice. It is very unprofessional of hairstylist to give unsolictied opinion on your hairstyle. I would cutoff unsolicited comments, or just dismiss them.Good luck in making YOUR choice.
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a> major change to consider.I'm a recent college> graduate,and just entered the business world.My> problem is the pressure from others to conform to> their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a> fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong> era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow> long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically> T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an> adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and> makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very> long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long> braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or> for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work,> I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down> and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a> change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up,> is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing> and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy,> thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6"> above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years> I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon> afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled> back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip> and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down> ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my> hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle> of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of> my new job and the adjustment from college to> work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and> pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look> good in a nice short cut.> She went on and on about how someone like me needed a> conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I> would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I> just> wanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I> told her that.I probably should have left right> then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only> wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side> edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my> hair and said I had some considerable splitend> damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut> off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then> proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6"> above my waist.At first I didn't realize how much> she had cut until I turned around after the first cut> and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw> about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too> late.I protested and was very upset,but there was> nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and> stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why> are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the> haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are> trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The> pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose> hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort> clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went> so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and> recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering> getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should> take the plunge and go all the way to a super short> clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of> intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care> of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd> probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A> month ago I would never have thought about cutting my> hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut> was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly> appreciated.Thanks!> Christy
Waveman View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
I've read a few more responses now and I have one more thing to say. There have been a couple suggestions about consulting with a hair stylist -- the old saying goes "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut !".> I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a> major change to consider.I'm a recent college> graduate,and just entered the business world.My> problem is the pressure from others to conform to> their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a> fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong> era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow> long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically> T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an> adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and> makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very> long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long> braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or> for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work,> I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down> and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a> change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up,> is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing> and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy,> thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6"> above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years> I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon> afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled> back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip> and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down> ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my> hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle> of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of> my new job and the adjustment from college to> work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and> pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look> good in a nice short cut.> She went on and on about how someone like me needed a> conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I> would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I> just> wanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I> told her that.I probably should have left right> then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only> wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side> edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my> hair and said I had some considerable splitend> damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut> off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then> proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6"> above my waist.At first I didn't realize how much> she had cut until I turned around after the first cut> and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw> about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too> late.I protested and was very upset,but there was> nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and> stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why> are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the> haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are> trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The> pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose> hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort> clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went> so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and> recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering> getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should> take the plunge and go all the way to a super short> clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of> intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care> of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd> probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A> month ago I would never have thought about cutting my> hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut> was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly> appreciated.Thanks!> Christy
Waveman View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Don't do anything to your appearance to make others happy -- it's a dead-end street, you'll never please everyone. More importantly, you need to please yourself and I don't mean by doing something that will make you more popular --real friends don't care !That said, I know it's hard to go against the grain. Society will ALWAYS try to get the independents to conform. If they can't then they have to start questioning if their beliefs are right and this causes their black & white world to start turning grey. And believe me, it takes MUCH MORE STRENGTH to live in a grey world, because there is no longer an answer book -- you have to decide for yourself. If you cave into the pressure this time you will only be delaying having to deal with this pressure until another topic.Now, I must come clean and admit I prefer longer hair. So, I really hate to hear the stories of those who cut it "because I'm getting older" or "I need to look more professional". You says what's old and it's just a job, not your identity !Finally, I know it's just hair, but the issue of standing up to social-pressure is not trivial and facing up to it is the major LIFE change (In other words, if you like your hair -- DON'T CUT IT ! Trust me, there are LOTS of people who like -- even admire/envy -- long hair on women !> I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a> major change to consider.I'm a recent college> graduate,and just entered the business world.My> problem is the pressure from others to conform to> their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a> fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong> era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow> long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically> T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an> adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and> makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very> long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long> braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or> for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work,> I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down> and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a> change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up,> is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing> and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy,> thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6"> above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years> I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon> afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled> back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip> and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down> ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my> hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle> of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of> my new job and the adjustment from college to> work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and> pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look> good in a nice short cut.> She went on and on about how someone like me needed a> conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I> would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I> just> wanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I> told her that.I probably should have left right> then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only> wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side> edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my> hair and said I had some considerable splitend> damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut> off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then> proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6"> above my waist.At first I didn't realize how much> she had cut until I turned around after the first cut> and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw> about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too> late.I protested and was very upset,but there was> nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and> stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why> are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the> haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are> trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The> pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose> hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort> clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went> so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and> recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering> getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should> take the plunge and go all the way to a super short> clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of> intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care> of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd> probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A> month ago I would never have thought about cutting my> hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut> was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly> appreciated.Thanks!> Christy
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Dear Christy,I recommend you sue the stylist. She violated your express instructions. She deliberately tortured you against your will. You should also complain to whatever government agency in your state licenses stylists. She is bad news and you should not let her get away with what she did to you.DAVID, Esquire> I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a> major change to consider.I'm a recent college> graduate,and just entered the business world.My> problem is the pressure from others to conform to> their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a> fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong> era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow> long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically> T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an> adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and> makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very> long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long> braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or> for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work,> I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down> and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a> change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up,> is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing> and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy,> thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6"> above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years> I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon> afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled> back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip> and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down> ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my> hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle> of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of> my new job and the adjustment from college to> work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and> pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look> good in a nice short cut.> She went on and on about how someone like me needed a> conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I> would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I> just> wanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I> told her that.I probably should have left right> then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only> wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side> edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my> hair and said I had some considerable splitend> damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut> off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then> proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6"> above my waist.At first I didn't realize how much> she had cut until I turned around after the first cut> and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw> about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too> late.I protested and was very upset,but there was> nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and> stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why> are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the> haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are> trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The> pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose> hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort> clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went> so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and> recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering> getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should> take the plunge and go all the way to a super short> clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of> intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care> of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd> probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A> month ago I would never have thought about cutting my> hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut> was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly> appreciated.Thanks!> Christy
Richard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> Go ahead an yell at me if you like, but I'm calling> b.s. on this one.I agree. And I think "Christy" is trolling here with a haircut fetish story as well.
Callie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Based upon your extreme response to getting your hair cut to above your butt, how do you think you'll feel if it is all gone?Being a former short-hair (now butt length), I can say that short hair is not necessarily easier to take care of. Sure it dries faster and takes less shampoo. It's my experience that short hair is much more time-consuming to style and I used much more hairspray. I always had to worry about how my brush went when I was blow drying so I dried it into the style, and I always, always had to start from a freshly washed head of hair, otherwise the bedhead was permanent. My hair really dried out from all the blow drying. I used a bottle of hair spray a week to hold the style. I only use spray on my bangs now and it lasts over a month. I was checking out my hair in mirrors much more because it would be flat here and poofed up or parted some freaky way.You seem to prefer long hair, so I'd advise against it. If you want a "new" look, try coloring or new braids or up-dos. Long hair can be professional. Look at the blonde girl on Alley McBeal. She has some great styles.Callie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic