Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would you choose the job or the hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you choose the job or the hair?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Lets say you were in the position of working for one of the best companies in the world that offered everything you ever dreamed of in a job. The pay , vacations, etc was excellent.Okay when you arrived for your final interview, the CEO of the company explains to you in the interview that they appreciate your expertise and want you to start right away but there is one condition.The condition is that every man and woman have to have hair above their shoulders. It has something to do with their image. And lets say that it is their legal rights and you can't fight it etc. No short hair or long hair allowed, just shoulder lenght.What do you do?Personally I would cut my hair because my family would come first.
Bruce View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
If it were a matter of cutting hair vs. family starving, you would have a point. However, that's not stated in the parameters of your hypothetical situation. You simply said it was one of the best companies in the world. With that in mind, if one of the world's best wants to hire you, it's likely that you could get a job with pretty much any company in the world.Thus, it comes down to whether you're willing to sacrifice your identity/a significant defining factor of who you are in order to become an automaton, an anonymous cog in an impersonal conglomoration.Some companies actually require that sacrifice as just the first step towards breaking the spirit, demoralizing or otherwise depersonalizing their employees.In my opinion, corporations have forcibly invaded our lives enough as it is. To allow them control over such a personal (and, legally, none-of-their-business) aspect of our lives is extremely offensive to me. But that's just my opinion.
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> Lets say you were in the position of working for one> of the best companies in the world that offered> everything you ever dreamed of in a job. The pay ,> vacations, etc was excellent.> Okay when you arrived for your final interview, the> CEO of the company explains to you in the interview> that they appreciate your expertise and want you to> start right away but there is one condition.> The condition is that every man and woman have to have> hair above their shoulders. It has something to do> with their image. And lets say that it is their legal> rights and you can't fight it etc. No short hair or> long hair allowed, just shoulder lenght.> What do you do?> Personally I would cut my hair because my family would> come first.I would have to choose me. If you are that good in your choosen field then there are many other jobs out there. My identity is mine and only mine. I guess I am one of the lucky ones I got the job and kept the hair John
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
>>Hello Bruce:So is your answer no?When I said the best company . I meant everything you ever dreamed of in a job including the hours you put in. Whatever you ever wanted in a job. No there wouldn't be any companies in the world like this one . Would you prefer working for a company that doesn't give you the sastifaction and keep your hair length or would you work for a company that gives you everythign you ever wanted and you had to change your hair lenght?
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> I would have to choose me. If you are that good in> your choosen field then there are many other jobs out> there. My identity is mine and only mine. I guess I am> one of the lucky ones I got the job and kept the hair> JohnI am surprise that you would choose you over the idea of working for the very best companies that would fulfill your dreams and working conditions, pay, holidays etc. YOu would prefer working in stress and complain about the job you have than cut or grow your hair?When I said I would choose my family I meant if the company was so so good I wouldn't have to come home stress or worried about what to do with the kids in the summer. Personally I think hair is just hair and I would put my goals of having knee length aside for my family evironment , for me for my self etc. and would continue to grow my hair when I retired. Hair grows, stress destroys things, life is short, kids grow up quickly.
Bruce View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
The best company is the company that would let me keep my hair length. If "best company" means 'everything except letting you be an individual,' than it doesn't qualify as the 'best company.'In my own opinion, of course.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
.Related Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> The best company is the company that would let me keep> my hair length. If "best company" means> 'everything except letting you be an individual,' than> it doesn't qualify as the 'best company.'> In my own opinion, of course.Okay Bruce fair enough. Thanks for participating in my discussion. There are many companies are there that expect people to look a certain way. Take the accounting industry for example which states no beards etc in their contracts. Well the higher accounting practices that is demand such things.The idea occured to me when I was thinking of going back to work and in my thoughts I thought wouldn't it be nice to work for a company that I would have my summer off to be with my kids, and I wouldn't have to give up one thing and then I thought lets see how far the hair issue is really important to people.Personally I seen close people around me have heart attacks because too much stress at work or I hardly come across someone that loves their job. I just thought if the choose would come that I would have this perfect working environment and just had to cut my hair it wouldn't bother me because hair doesn't make up me. Hair is just hair.Hair does not make up our characters or personality or the strenght we have within ourselves.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> .
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> This has nothing to do with this topic and I dont want to seem dumb, but what does n/m mean? Thanks,I have been wondering about this for awhile now. =) Lisa
Unregistered
Unregistered
N/M means no message inside.do you care to participant. I really would love knowing your thoughts on the subject.
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> N/M means no message inside.> do you care to participant. I really would love> knowing your thoughts on the subject.Thanks for the info Diane! As for the subject,I am growing my hair out right now and i dont think anything could get me to cut it!After cutting my mid-back length hair to above my shoulders due to alot of damage and now having it past my collarbone ,the thought of cutting it for any reason makes me shudder! Unless of course cutting it would somehow benefit my children.And honestly I would not want to work for a company that would dictate how i appear. Just my opinion.=) Lisa
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Thank you Lisa for your thoughts. I certainly understand and respect your thoughts. Have a nice hair day and good luck in growing your hair. It is fun to try all kinds of braids etc.
Shell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Hi Diane! I'm sure that's a really touchy subject for some. In my personal opinion, I would absolutely hate to cut off my hair just for a job, especially since I'm trying to grow it long. However, I'm also trying to pursue a career in the theatre, and unfortunately, a lot of how you look depends on whether or not you get the job. Of course, being onstage allows some leeway in that sometimes wigs can work for the character. But I guess if it was my absolute dream theatre job (great money, great actors to work with...) I suppose I would cut. (Ouch, it still hurts to write it though!) So, I just thought you might want to know my thoughts.Thanks!Shell
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Thank you for your participation. It wouldn't be a nice thought for me neither. Good luck with your future.
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
> I am surprise that you would choose you over the idea> of working for the very best companies that would> fulfill your dreams and working conditions, pay,> holidays etc. YOu would prefer working in stress and> complain about the job you have than cut or grow your> hair?> When I said I would choose my family I meant if the> company was so so good I wouldn't have to come home> stress or worried about what to do with the kids in> the summer. Personally I think hair is just hair and I> would put my goals of having knee length aside for my> family evironment , for me for my self etc. and would> continue to grow my hair when I retired. Hair grows,> stress destroys things, life is short, kids grow up> quickly.Hair is just Hair. I have spent many years with jobs where hair length was a job requirment and was quite happy. If I were happy with the job and my life than the hair is not an issue. I have chosen to have long hair for me not anyone else but no job is worth me being unhappy. That does lead to stress and as most of my friends will tell I am not a happy person when I am stressed. I dont have kids just cats (3) so I only have to worry about me. I have the job I wanted with the company I wanted and the bosses have no problem with my looks. therefore no stress. Thanks for the comments tho. john
Waveman View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
I don't think any company has the right to tell you how to wear your hair unless there is a safety issue (like working around machinery), but even then I can't think of many situations where that would require that one CUT their hair. I know I would care to work for a company the gotinto my personal life so much !!!!> Lets say you were in the position of working for one> of the best companies in the world that offered> everything you ever dreamed of in a job. The pay ,> vacations, etc was excellent.> Okay when you arrived for your final interview, the> CEO of the company explains to you in the interview> that they appreciate your expertise and want you to> start right away but there is one condition.> The condition is that every man and woman have to have> hair above their shoulders. It has something to do> with their image. And lets say that it is their legal> rights and you can't fight it etc. No short hair or> long hair allowed, just shoulder lenght.> What do you do?> Personally I would cut my hair because my family would> come first.
Lily de Wilde View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily de Wilde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Hi!I have to say, stupid though this may sound to everyone, I'd keep the hair and turn down the job.This is Not from any inate vanity (I hope!), but because my hair is, I think, a big part of who I am, and I'm simply not willing to change because some company comes up with a stupid rule... (I'm stubborn as a mule, too :)Having said that, I'm a free-lance writer so what would I know?Thanks for listening as always..."Lily"
Kim, the Not-so-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the Not-so-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:19pm
Hey all! Great question!I too don't think I'd be inclined to take a job that required me to cut my hair. It's a little bit of a vanity thing, but it's really more that I don't think I'd feel happy someplace that wouldn't allow me at least some freedom in how I look. i will dress like a grown up, no problem, I will wear small earrings, I'll even put my hair up if need be, but cutting it seems too much to ask.For me the perfect job would not necessarily be the most lucrative (I am single with no dependents, so my financial needs are smaller than some), but it would be in a stimulating intellectual environment (I want to teach college) working with open-minded people. I would think such a dream position would allow me to wear my hair how I like.I'm so mellow about everything else, I figure I can be ornery about my hair!Great topic!Kim
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:20pm
> I don't think any company has the right to tell you> how to wear your hair unless there is a safety issue> (like working around machinery), but even then I can't> think of many situations where that would require that> one CUT their hair. I know I would care to work for a> company the got> into my personal life so much !!!!Hello:I actually know a few companies that actually say in a contract how long men should wear their hair and go in details about beards and mustaches etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic