Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's the deal here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the deal here?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
Someone posted on the Celebrity Hairspray board about Rene Russo's new haircut.Q1: It was said that the director for her latest movie wanted her to "look more assertive." I would like to know: how does a chin-length haircut makes one look more "assertive?"Q2: It was also said that women are going to salons to copy her haircut. I would like to know what the motivation is here... do these women believe that if they cut their hair like Ms. Russo's that they will suddenly either (a) be transformed into a famous and wealthy movie star, (b) win the love of (someone like) Pierce Brosnan, or (c) have some other positive happenstance result?Really curious here...Dave
David M Squires
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
Women dream about stuff like that all the time lolDiane>>
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
Dave,I guarantee you won't understand, but fwiw:> I would like to know: how does a chin-length haircutmakes one look more "assertive?"Like it or not, a shorter haircut is more business-like. Don't ask me why. It's like saying that navy blue is more of a business color than pink. It simply has more of a no-nonsense look and is accepted by the bulk of American society as such.Also, often when women undergo a long-to-short makeover (IF they like it, and that's a BIG if), they acquire more self-confidence. Especially for a woman who has always had the same hairstyle, a big change often takes guts and with that "guts" comes a newfound self-confidence. This is *not* to say that people with long hair have no confidence at all. But often when people make changes in their lives, it takes courage which then results in a newfound or stronger sense of self. The same cannot be said of short-to-long makeovers because of the time factor. You gradually grow your hair which allows you to get used to the new length, well, gradually. But if one day you have long hair, and the next you don't, well, it's a drastic change in a super short amount of time!BTW, I plan on undergoing a new change myself: Growing my hair! {grin}Jena
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
> Dave,> I guarantee you won't understand, but fwiw:Gee Jena, do you really presume to believe that I am so stupid that I cannot understand a rational explanation? ;-)(feigning hurt)> Like it or not, a shorter haircut is more business-like.It may be PERCEIVED to be more "business-like," but this is a strictly a perception (on the part of many, yes) -- but it is not a rule or fact. Some people (me included) believe that what makes a person most "business-like" is their attitude. Hair LENGTH is not a determining factor in one's professionalism. Anybody who believe otherwise is under the spell of what is now an "old-fashioned" stereotype.> Don't ask me why.But I *did* ask why and... you're trying to answer! ;-)> It's like saying that> navy blue is more of a business color than pink. It> simply has more of a no-nonsense look and is accepted> by the bulk of American society as such.It's puzzling to me that people would take a short-haired person more seriously than a long-haired person. Does the receipt of a short haircut somehow come with a tag that states "Now, I am more serious?" Uh, no, I don't think so.> Also, often when women undergo a long-to-short> makeover (IF they like it, and that's a BIG if), they> acquire more self-confidence. Especially for a woman> who has always had the same hairstyle, a big change> often takes guts and with that "guts" comes> a newfound self-confidence. This is *not* to say that> people with long hair have no confidence at all. But> often when people make changes in their lives, it> takes courage which then results in a newfound or> stronger sense of self. The same cannot be said of> short-to-long makeovers because of the time factor.> You gradually grow your hair which allows you to get> used to the new length, well, gradually.In at least one way, it can be a confidence-building process, in that it takes determination, persistence, etc., to make it through the process of growing out the layers. Once one reaches that point when the layers are all grown out and the hair is getting long, one could reflect back and see that they resisted temptations to just forget about the pursuit, and then realize that their self-confidence has grown, right along with their hair, because they successfully overcame that obstacle.> But if one> day you have long hair, and the next you don't, well,> it's a drastic change in a super short amount of time!That it is.> BTW, I plan on undergoing a new change myself: Growing> my hair! {grin}I wish you well on your pursuit!Dave
David M Squires
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
I used to edit a horrid newsletter for office professionals (title of publication withheld). Whenever I did a piece on office attire and the interviewee was a woman, she would urge career women to cut their hair short so they would "be taken seriously." I guess this stigma evolved from the idea that long hair is time-consuming and frivolous, and that any woman with enough time to care for it couldn't be serious about her job.I object to this stereotype on every level. It's not fair, and it's not realistic. For one thing, most women spend more time on their nails and makeup than I spend on my hair. I feel that I am doing my part to buck this trend by refusing to wear short hair. It has never been an issue for me, because I won't allow it to be.I also think it's ridiculous the way some women call up their stylists the minute the Actress of the Moment appears on E! with a new cut. If you're going to model your hair after a celebrity's, choose someone whose face and hair type resemble your own. Practically every girl on campus had a Rachel cut a few years ago, and almost no one looked good in it. In my opinion, it's these faddish hack jobs--and not long hair--that make a woman look "dated."Ally
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
>
Unregistered
Unregistered
>> It's puzzling to me that people would take a> short-haired person more seriously than a long-haired> person. Does the receipt of a short haircut somehow> come with a tag that states "Now, I am more> serious?" Uh, no, I don't think so.Hello DAve:I never felt that I was taken less seriously because of my hair.Dave I always said if BArbie was a spice girl we would have tons of little long hair followers.At times it is very much the female nature to want to be like someone else in a way . I bet if all the celebrities had long hair you would find tons of long hair ladies around.>>
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
At risk of being drawn into an argument...> It may be PERCEIVED to be more> "business-like," but this is a strictly a> perception (on the part of many, yes) -- but it is not> a rule or fact. Some people (me included) believe that> what makes a person most "business-like" is> their attitude. Hair LENGTH is not a determining> factor in one's professionalism. Anybody who believe> otherwise is under the spell of what is now an> "old-fashioned" stereotype.As someone who has previously worked in the business consulting field and continues to have many friends who do, you should know that, however unfair it may be, "perception is reality" in many cases. You and I may not perceive it as unprofessional, but if the majority of people in the business that the woman is in DO, then she WILL be considered "less business-like".Obviously, different types of dress and hairstyle are deemed acceptable in different types of business (e.g., software development and advertising have a very different standard of dress than the more conservative world of, say, banking). Again, whether or not we agree with that is irrelevant...unless, of course, we make up the group of individuals in which she works. =)JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
Hi Ally,> she would urge career women> to cut their hair short so they would "be taken> seriously."I honestly think a big factor is how that hair is worn. For instance, cascading curls with butterfly barrettes is not going to help the female CEO of a company maintain a position of authority (unless she is the CEO of company that is hair or fashion oriented, perhaps). Of course, clothing and attitude are extremely important, in fact, probably more important than the hair. But -- the hair cannot be ignored, either.And, in all honesty, that's why *some* women of color have problems in the business world. Some of the hairstyles worn -- gathered up like the 60s beehive with elaborate ornation -- look more appropriate for a party than a business office. And of course, caucasian women do this, too with those huge "Baby doll ribbons" in their hair (ala Paula Jones before her drastic makeover).Think of it this way. Let's say you are consulting a doctor for some major surgery. You visit two female physicians. One has just below shoulder-length hair or shorter. The other has hair down to her waist with a big bow in back or perhaps little barrettes holding it back. Presuming the attitude and dress of the doctors is the same, chances are that the woman with the shorter hair will instill more confidence. Right or wrong, it's almost like saying, "I take my work seriously and don't have time to maintain long hair." Another reason is that when hair is super long, it becomes a distraction. It's simply hard not to notice! It was like a man who chose to be totally bald in the 70s when most other guys had long hair -- he just stood out.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Gee Jena, do you really presume to believe that I am> so stupid that I cannot understand a rational> explanation? ;-)> (feigning hurt)Oh no, no, no, never! {grin} Just teasing you.> It may be PERCEIVED to be more> "business-like," but this is a strictly a> perception (on the part of many, yes) -- but it is not> a rule or fact.I agree.>Does the receipt of a short haircut somehow> come with a tag that states "Now, I am more> serious?" Uh, no, I don't think so.A possible explanation is that the look says, "Okay, no more fun and games. It's time for work." I think long hair is very sensual, as do many others. And in a business environment, it's important not to detract from that "business" look. Also, long hair is often (though not always) a "softer" look for a woman, and in some occupations, she needs to have a competitive edge! A boss who needs an aggressive reporter, for instance, may need to be hesitant in choosing someone who looks more sensual than professional.> In at least one way, it can be a confidence-building> process, in that it takes determination, persistence,> etc., to make it through the process of growing out> the layers.Oh, trust me, I'm learning first-hand on that one. ;-) But the long-to-short makeover usually leaves one little choice -- you deal with what you have. You sink or swim with the new look.Once one reaches that point when the> layers are all grown out and the hair is getting long,> one could reflect back and see that they resisted> temptations to just forget about the pursuit, and then> realize that their self-confidence has grown, right> along with their hair, because they successfully> overcame that obstacle.Very true.> I wish you well on your pursuit!Thanks! Although I've always loved my long hair, one thing my experience has taught me is to appreciate my long hair as it takes a long time to grow! Also, to get more frequent trims to keep it healthy. :-) And it is kind of interesting to watch how hair grows. The front seems to grow a bit faster than the back. For awhile, I had a buzzed nape, and I will have to admit that, although I didn't really like the look, it felt kind of neat. But I think it will feel "neater" to feel long silky hair down that neck as well!Thanks,Jena
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
Hello,> I honestly think a big factor is how that hair is> worn. For instance, cascading curls with butterfly> barrettes is not going to help the female CEO of a> company maintain a position of authority (unless she> is the CEO of company that is hair or fashion> oriented, perhaps).I agree, because long, cascading curls generally aren't associated with authority. (Neither are little butterfly clips, for that matter.) However, the same hair worn up in a conservative style is another matter entirely.>Of course, clothing and attitude> are extremely important, in fact, probably more> important than the hair. But -- the hair cannot be> ignored, either.Yes, clothing and attitude are *definately* more important than the hair.> And of course, caucasian> women do this, too with those huge "Baby doll> ribbons" in their hair (ala Paula Jones before> her drastic makeover).I don't really like those huge bows either. And they certainly aren't good for business. IMO, they can be very littlegirlish.> Think of it this way. Let's say you are consulting a> doctor for some major surgery. You visit two female> physicians. One has just below shoulder-length hair or> shorter. The other has hair down to her waist with a> big bow in back or perhaps little barrettes holding it> back. Presuming the attitude and dress of the doctors> is the same, chances are that the woman with the> shorter hair will instill more confidence.It's ture, that, with the styles mentioned, I would be more confident about the medium to short haired doctor, but not exactly for the reason you mentioned. My reason would be something more like "I take my work seriously, and therefore I keep my hair out of my way while I am working." If the long haired doctor were wearing her hair up or braided, all things would be equal for me.> Another reason is that when hair is super> long, it becomes a distraction. It's simply hard not> to notice!This is also ture, when the hair is really, really long and is worn down. Another thing that I think that I should mention is that really long hair, in our culture, is an outward sign of noncomformity. Many people in the business world don't like things like that. I doubt that bobs were considered "businesslike" when they were first worn back in the 20's. I think that this is the real reason why long hair is often considered "unbusinesslike."Erika
Unregistered
Unregistered
>Maybe it also depends on where you live and the attitude of the people in that area.Personally I have worked in many different industries and that rule never applied to me. The message has always been performance performance period.It had nothing to do if my hair was long or not.
Unregistered
Unregistered
>That is true that a lot of women do spend more time on makeup than hair but a lot of people don't see that.
Unregistered
Unregistered
If two those doctors walk in for the interview and one had long hair and it was nicely styled and the other had short hair I strongly believe that it wouldn't matter. They would both have a very fair chance in the interview.In my work as a receptionist people would come up to me and looked at the barrette I was wearing that day because they found the barrrettes beautiful and tasteful.They were looking forward in seeing which hair style or barrette I was going to wear the next day and never once I was taken less seriously for having long hair.
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
> I used to edit a horrid newsletter for office> professionals (title of publication withheld).> Whenever I did a piece on office attire and the> interviewee was a woman, she would urge career women> to cut their hair short so they would "be taken> seriously." I guess this stigma evolved from the> idea that long hair is time-consuming and frivolous,> and that any woman with enough time to care for it> couldn't be serious about her job.It's unfair, but true. I see it in the upper levels of administration here at the school district. In fact, I will always wear my hair up during an evening school function, where parents will attend.On a lighter note, how many times have we "longhairs" got out of stickey situation simply by bringing our tresses around the front of our shoulders, flipping it, and running our fingers through it? Unfair, but true.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> On a lighter note, how many times have we> "longhairs" got out of stickey situation> simply by bringing our tresses around the front of our> shoulders, flipping it, and running our fingers> through it? Unfair, but true.Except for true short hair enthusiasts, it always worked for me.;-)
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
> I object to this stereotype on every level. It's not> fair, and it's not realistic. For one thing, most> women spend more time on their nails and makeup than I> spend on my hair. I feel that I am doing my part to> buck this trend by refusing to wear short hair. It has> never been an issue for me, because I won't allow it> to be.Nice attitude! It's exactly the same one I use, and for the couple of times I was taken slightly less seriously than all the other times, a quiet stare usually sends them cowering, becuase they know they've operated on a stereotype based on appearance.> I also think it's ridiculous the way some women call> up their stylists the minute the Actress of the Moment> appears on E! with a new cut. If you're going to model> your hair after a celebrity's, choose someone whose> face and hair type resemble your own. Practically> every girl on campus had a Rachel cut a few years ago,> and almost no one looked good in it. In my opinion,> it's these faddish hack jobs--and not long hair--that> make a woman look "dated."It is awesome to be distinct from that loop. I've been heckled by a couple of oddballs who just can't accommodate long hair anywhere in their lives. Long hair is timeless and speaks to the attitude of the wearer, that s/he doesn't buckle under pressure to conform. It takes inner strength and reveals such self-confidence. Isn't this exactly what employers are looking for? Odd, huh?Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
> Another thing that I think that> I should mention is that really long hair, in our> culture, is an outward sign of noncomformity. Many> people in the business world don't like things like> that. I doubt that bobs were considered> "businesslike" when they were first worn> back in the 20's. I think that this is the real reason> why long hair is often considered> "unbusinesslike."In the 1920s, WOMEN weren't considered very businesslike! LOL! Actually, sad, but true. Interesting how our society has finally conformed to a 70+ year-old concept. My, how timely we are...Jennifer Eve

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
>I've been> heckled by a couple of oddballs who just can't> accommodate long hair anywhere in their lives.Are these people you know personally?

> Are these people you know personally?Yes, one woman from the chorus I sing in made a noisy fuss about my hair being too long to everyone in a public restroom when she didn't realize I was in the stall next to her. There's the coworker who wants to cut my hair off because she's "so jealous" (her word). Oh, can't forget my ex, who says I'm delusional for trying to be Rapunzel at TILHC, which is ironic because that wan't my aim in those photos, as Rapunzel isn't one of my favorite fairy tale characters, and he knows this. Ah, exes!Jennifer Eve

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic