Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

teachers with long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:30pm
> Dave,> I read your posts again. I did unfairly put you> together with bb who said that his wife's haircut was> a significant factor leading to their divorce. I did> put words into your mouth, and I resent when that> happens to me. I humbly apologize.Jena,I accept your apology. Thank you.> Keen eye!! I sincerely am growing my hair yet when I> read how I *should* have long hair to> "please" my man, it almost does give me the> urge to cut it! {grin}So my supposition seems to have some merit... I sensed that you weren't the only lady who was starting to feel "fed up" with Mark's strongly-stated POV.Dave
David M Squires
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:31pm
> Deana,> Your expression of humility is charming. I readily> forgive you your transgression. Keep your chin up and> smile!> DaveThank you, and smile, I will.
Kim, the Not-So-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the Not-So-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:35pm
I too, consider myself a long-haired fan, and have grown my own hair as long as it will go. I really think it diminishes my decision to grow my hair when people, like Mark, assume the main motivation for growing hair is to please a man. Sure, I enjoy it when the guys I date like my hair, but if I hated the way it looked, or hated to care for it, I would cut it in a minute. It's my hair, after all, not theirs.By the by, in case anyone wonders why I initiated this discussion (though not actually THIS discussion---the discussion from which it sprung) then appear to have abandoned it, it wasn't on purpose. I recently moved, and my bedroom has no phone jack yet, so I can't access the internet at home! (And here I thought I wasn't a geek yet!) So if my participation is somewhat sporadic for awhile, please have patience.Take care.Kim
Kim, the Not-So-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the Not-So-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:35pm
Hey all. Thanks to those of you who have offered their suggestions and best wishes for graduate school. I have not been able to check these messages for awhile, due to my inability to access the internet from home (I explain my problems down there a bit), for which I apologize. So here's how my first section went:Hairstyle: down, but held back with a headband. Humid weather meant somewhat ringlet-y, but I don't mind.8:00 section: I don't think students had their eyes open enough to notice how I looked.10:00 section: Students terrified, but of the reading and writing requirements, not of me. Don't think my appearance mattered much in either case.My conclusions: my hair doesn't matter too much (I tend to avoid extremes of trendiness or punkishness---is that what I mean?) and dressing like a grown-up is too hard on the feet (well, at least when you have history on one part of campus, and Greek clear on the other side). I'll probably just stick with how I feel most comfortable (I don't wear jeans or shorts much anyway).I've enjoyed hearing about other people's experiences with teaching, and teachers/T.A.s. Thanks for all the feedback!Kim
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:36pm
> I too, consider myself a long-haired fan, and have> grown my own hair as long as it will go. I really> think it diminishes my decision to grow my hair when> people, like Mark, assume the main motivation for> growing hair is to please a man. Sure, I enjoy it when> the guys I date like my hair, but if I hated the way> it looked, or hated to care for it, I would cut it in> a minute. It's my hair, after all, not theirs.Hi Kim,In case you missed it, please read the last point (#6) within my post on this topic entitled "To all those who have been participating in this thread" I make note of it here because it seems that both you and Jena (and who knows how many other people?) have essentially agreed with my supposition regarding Mark's motivations.Hope your phone line is wired soon!Dave
David M Squires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic