Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Buns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RiverRat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Buns
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:31pm
I love short hair on ladies (nothing extreme). You won't change my mind and I'm sure I won't change the long hair lovers mind. That's "ok" with me - remember, variety is the spice of life (or something like that). Anyway, I do have a question for the long hair ladies that I do not understand. I know a few ladies who have long hair and they always wear it in a bun. This creates a look of short hair (at least to me). Does anyone know why they wouldn't get a shorter "do" if they only wear it up anyway? Seems like a lot of extra work to me - I'm sure I'm missing something - enlighten me!
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:32pm
This probably won't answer you completely, but I think I'll get close.Mrs. Flea has hair that is between mid-back and waist-length. During the day, while she is taking care of Baby Flea (are these pseudonyms getting annoying yet?) she usually pulls it up in a ponytail or wears a braid. Pretty much anything to keep it out of the way while she goes about her day.In the evening, she usually takes it down because 1) she prefers it down and 2) wearing it up all day usually starts to get uncomfortable. Whenever we go out, she wears it down since she greatly enjoys having her hair long. It's just usually not practical during the day. So, in her case, wearing it up a lot doesn't necessarily mean that she shouldn't have long hair (especially since the ponytail thing is really easy for her).This doesn't mean that I don't understand your point about women with long hair that constantly wear it up. They could make the very same argument, however, that they love having long hair and wear it down at home, but that it's just impractical during the day. I would say that they should probably only think about cutting it if they NEVER wear it down because wearing it down is unmanageable.Otherwise, let'em wear the bun at work and be Rapunzel at home.As usual,JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:32pm
> hair ladies that I do not understand. I know a few> ladies who have long hair and they always wear it in a> bun. This creates a look of short hair (at least to> me). Does anyone know why they wouldn't get a shorter> "do" if they only wear it up anyway? Seems> like a lot of extra work to me - I'm sure I'm missing> something - enlighten me!Because it is fun to be able to decide everyday which style we choose. Long hair is very practical for what it offers in my opinion and experience.
bb View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:32pm
> I love short hair on ladies (nothing extreme). You> won't change my mind and I'm sure I won't change the> long hair lovers mind. That's "ok" with me -> remember, variety is the spice of life (or something> like that). Anyway, I do have a question for the long> hair ladies that I do not understand. I know a few> ladies who have long hair and they always wear it in a> bun. This creates a look of short hair (at least to> me). Does anyone know why they wouldn't get a shorter> "do" if they only wear it up anyway? Seems> like a lot of extra work to me - I'm sure I'm missing> something - enlighten me!Hi RiverRat,For those of us who know how pricess a woman's hair can be to her, let me give you my opinion about the long-hairs who seem to wear it "up" all the time. The time that you do see them are just a small part of their entire day.Long hair is a priceless commodity to many women. They have taken MANY years to grow their hair to that length, and have loved it and taken so much time on itAnd for themselves, and sometimes their partners, that LONG HAIR has become so much a part of their lives and individuality. They wouldn't part with it at any price.When you do see a wonderful lady wearing her hair up "all the time" you only get a glimpse of it and think that she must wear it like that all the timeBut the truth is, she loves and adores her long hair, but if it is extremely long, sometimes it is impratical to wear it long and loose. That is why you see so many women with their long hair confined and "out of the way" for business puposes or even to keep kids AND adults from constantly touching it.But at home, I can assure you, the bun comes out, she shakes her beautiful long hair out and LOVES the way her LONG HAIR looks,feels, like (sometimes a cloak or security blanket) and truly loves to spend hours feeling its beautiful warmth and softness against her bare skin. In most cases that I have read, she gladly shares her wealth of hair and the caring of it, with an intimate lover who appreciates the beauty of her very long and appreciates how sensual it can be.So the next time you see some woman with extremely long hair in a bun, just remember how important that hair is to her and her identitly. She has decided to wear it in a bun or some other updo just for temporary convenience. No doubt she will let it down later in the privacy of her home and enjoy its wealth and sensuality,bb
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:32pm
>> s
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:33pm
Hi,I have long hair that I probably wear up or tied back about 60% of the time. I have several reasons why I wear it up so often:1. convinence and safety when I'm working2. it's often too hot to comfortably wear my hair down outside in the summer3. I actually enjoy playing with my hair and finding new ways to put it up and tie it back. I love braids and a lot of times I would rather wear my hair in a nice braid than down. There are so many fun ways to braid your hair. You could think of it like yard work: there are people who consider it a chore, and then there are the avid gardeners who actually enjoy it.Erika> I love short hair on ladies (nothing extreme). You> won't change my mind and I'm sure I won't change the> long hair lovers mind. That's "ok" with me -> remember, variety is the spice of life (or something> like that). Anyway, I do have a question for the long> hair ladies that I do not understand. I know a few> ladies who have long hair and they always wear it in a> bun. This creates a look of short hair (at least to> me). Does anyone know why they wouldn't get a shorter> "do" if they only wear it up anyway? Seems> like a lot of extra work to me - I'm sure I'm missing> something - enlighten me!
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:45pm
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 7:53pm
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 11:40pm
Aww.. Thanks for reminding us longhaired ladies, RiverRat. Sometimes somebody's gotta come out and say what you've said, so we remember to flaunt our best feature!

I don't cut it off for the following reasons:

(1) Long hair is a lot less maintenance. Sure, the shampoo and conditioning routine takes a lot longer, and the drying time is long and drawn-out, but I find long hair worth it because I don't have to wash as often as shorthairs. Many women find long hair to be a lot less work, e.g. when I haven't washed my nasty locks for a week, I can just hide it in an updo and go a few more days. Ideal for camping trips.

(2) Long hair is sexy and feels great on skin; as my guy would agree. I take my hair down for him a lot.

(3) Multiple hair options for special occasions. I love having a choice, even if I don't take it. Also, wearing hair long is like a privilege or special treat. Long bangs also stay out of your face. Short hair, especially short bangs at the "awkward" stage, drove me nuts.

(4) Having something to care for makes a woman feel feminine, especially when I am an adult with braces to make me feel ugly and gross. Combing and brushing the entire length of my hair is a joy for me, since it reminds me that I still have a best feature.

(5) Long hair is mostly an attitude that just happens to manifest itself physically. Just the thought of having long hair is enough to boost my confidence and self-esteem about 500%.

Hair today Grown tomorrow

Anais
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2004 at 6:32am
I see your point but there is a difference between short hair and hair that's put up. It's still not the exact same shape. I for one think buns are very neat and elegant, and give an effect you can't get with short hair, at least when seen from the back and sides. Other reasons for not cutting hair but always putting it up can be: SOMETIMES liking to wear it down and not liking to get it cut/go to salons/spend money at salons.

I like the nicknames, Jerky Flea.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2004 at 4:41pm
Ahh, thank you. I see I didn't answer the question.

Yes, I agree that a bun looks more elegant than short hair. and the other big reason you've suddenly reminded me of... the financial part.. Yes, long hair is a lot cheaper in general.

And women let their hair down when they feel it's appropriate I suppose. When it's not windy, when there are no other humans to mess it up, when not using a food processor, electric fan, chain saw, etc...
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2004 at 10:23am
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

And women let their hair down when they feel it's appropriate I suppose...when there are no other humans to mess it up...

Well, maybe an exception can be made for the one special person in your life?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 1:38am
Dave wrote:
Well, maybe an exception can be made for the one special person in your life?

Oh absolutely.. My sweetie is one of the few who see my loose hair more often than not. To top that off, he and my long hair have this "feminizing" synergistic effect.
Most other times, the oh-so-elegant bun is great for my daily running around :) gotta looove the hairbun!

Anais
brown_eyed_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brown_eyed_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 12:30pm
I am one of those ladies with long (not super long but mid-back) hair that wears either pin ups or buns about 80% of the time. My friends always inquire when will i wear it down straigt. And I always reply that wearing it down bone straight is not a style in my book. It looks boring and plain. Plus I'd be combing and brushing it all the time, concerned that a hair would be out of place. Every once in a while I'll wear it down, but with lots of curls. Wearing it up is just easier and more elegant, I think. And just as someone mentioned before, the very thought that my hair is long is enough for me to feel pretty darn good.

-miss-happy-2B-nappy
"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2004 at 3:29am
I have waist-length hair and I occasionally wear it in a bun. True, it can create the illusion of short hair when seen from the front. So why bother having long hair? For me, there are two reasons:

1. I love the look and feel of long hair. I love how it feels when I wear it down and I love trying out new ways of putting it up. I love how it looks on me too. I think it suits me more than short hair.

2. I find long hair much more convenient and easier to take care of than short hair. I'm sure that many of you with short hair may be surprised by this. I had short hair for many years. It required much more time and effort than my long hair. When my hair was short, I had to style it every morning because I woke up with bed head. I needed styling products to keep it in place and I went to the salon about every 6 weeks to keep my style trimmed. I now shower in the evening and let my hair dry naturally. I can roll out of bed in the morning and be ready to go in 10 minutes. My hair never looks messy. All it needs is a quick brush and it's ready to go. I only go to the salon once a year now and I don't spend any money on styling products.

It all comes down to personal preference. I think lots of women look beautiful with short hair. Lots of them look fabulous with long hair too. Confidence is the most attractive thing of all.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 3:08pm
I used to have long hair and I wore it up a lot, simply because it would just fall flat when I wore it down. I got so many compliments when I wore it up, never got any when I wore it down. Of course, my hair is fine and thin, even though I have a lot of it. Anyway, I got to thinking, if I was getting so many compliments wearing it up, I'd probably look good with short hair. So I cut it. I now wear it chin length, with layers and side swept bangs. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my hairstyle. It took a very long time to get used to it, but now that I have it this way I can't see ever growing it long again. I'm so envious of women who can pull off the look of super long hair, but unfortunately I never could.

Don't know what my point is...I guess I'm saying I miss my long hair, but I know now that this style works so much better for me.
farahsatana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farahsatana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2004 at 10:30pm
I have coarse wavy/curly hair that can best be described, when short, as "fluffy"--as in my head disappears in a pyramidal pouf of madly static hair. I have not had my hair that short for at least 6 years now, and my world is a better place for that choice.

That said, I generally wear my bra clasp length hair up in a bun because once, when I lived in Washington DC, I was taking a bus, and I realized with horror that my hair--which was down--had invaded the personal space of the two ladies behind me on the bus; they were horrified. I was very embarassed, and that was my introduction to hair politics.

Tradition had long required a married woman to wear her hair if not up, at least "dressed" for public interaction. Arbitrary, I will agree, but as I age I find there is a kind of a sanctity in behaving as befits one's age. I cannot deny that I in part put my hair up because I think it is proper. Like my wedding band, it signals my unavailable state of sexual maturity.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by farahsatana farahsatana wrote:

I have coarse wavy/curly hair that can best be described, when short, as "fluffy"--as in my head disappears in a pyramidal pouf of madly static hair. I have not had my hair that short for at least 6 years now, and my world is a better place for that choice.

That said, I generally wear my bra clasp length hair up in a bun because once, when I lived in Washington DC, I was taking a bus, and I realized with horror that my hair--which was down--had invaded the personal space of the two ladies behind me on the bus; they were horrified. I was very embarassed, and that was my introduction to hair politics.

Tradition had long required a married woman to wear her hair if not up, at least "dressed" for public interaction. Arbitrary, I will agree, but as I age I find there is a kind of a sanctity in behaving as befits one's age. I cannot deny that I in part put my hair up because I think it is proper. Like my wedding band, it signals my unavailable state of sexual maturity.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic