Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sissors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alethea View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alethea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sissors
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:37pm
Arright, I know this is probibly the wrong place to put this question, but I cant think of where else, so....Do any of you cut your own hair? (or a non-hairstylest friend does?) Do you use normal craft sissors? I tried trimming my own hair, but I guess I did something wrong, cause it started splitting VERY easily after that.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:37pm
> Do any of you cut your own hair? (or a non-hairstylest> friend does?) Do you use normal craft sissors? I tried> trimming my own hair, but I guess I did something> wrong, cause it started splitting VERY easily after> that.A a person who is not a formally trained stylist, but who has been self-training for about eight months (and getting lots of complements on my styles!), the only advice that I can give you is to get a good pair of scissors that were made for haircutting...in the trade they are called shears.Note that they do not have to be expensive. Beauty supply stores have reasonably good shears for under $20, but really nice ones can cost as much as $200, but I think that is just hype, etc.Two qualities to look for: *sharp* blades and weight. The sharper the better, that gives a cleaner cut on the hair shaft (maybe why your hair started splitting, the blades of the scissors you used were not sharp enough). Heavier is good too (up to a point) because this helps you cut heavy sections of hair with little effort.If your shears are too light, you end up having to exert too much effort to cut thicker hair, and this can lead to ragged looking lines, also probably not good for the hair shaft. You want a smooth cutting action, NOT to be "hacking" at the hair.Sharp blades and weight of the shears will give you a good clean line every time.Z.
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:38pm
Alethea,I have my best friend trim my hair, at my apartment, and I trust only her. She uses scissors that came in a set of three, one for thinning, and two different sizes for cutting. They think I got them at a drug store, but I don't remember what I paid.I tried very early to cut my own hair, with different types of scissors, had the same things happen that you experienced.Have a friend over! Valeri and I make a day of it, like going to the mall, and showing off my freshly trimmed hair!
Alethea View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alethea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:38pm
Thanks for your responses, Deana and Zorak (cool name, by the way.)
bb View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:38pm
> Thanks for your responses, Deana and Zorak (cool name,> by the way.)Hi Alethea (you have a cool name too!!!!)I agree with what the others have said. If your shears aren't razor sharp(or close), You will leave frayed or ragged ends that appear to be neatly trimmed, but at close scrutiny, they are already frayed enough to start splitting immediately!!!!!! The sharper the shears, the cleaner the cut!!!!bb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic