Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Struggling the result

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
This is a generalization, but I think it's true often enough to be called a trend:When men and women marry, two things happen. Men expecttheir wives to stay the same, which does not occur. Womenexpect their husbands to change, which does not occur.I'm still curious to hear from Katie about what her hair was like when they were dating. Either her opinion about having long hair changed since then or else her then-boyfriend wasn't clear about his strong desire for her to have long hair. Often conflicts are rooted in the dating process, but people are blinded by puppy love and ignore potential problems!
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
> in deciding what hairstyle a ladie should have.> When a husband is left totally out,on a decision, for> any> hair style,there are most likely going to be a lot of> problems in the marriage.Mark Mark Mark what else can I say to you! Come on look a lot deeper than hair for goodness sakes.Comprimise and communications means understanding the needs of a spouse and meeting the other in the middle without any party feeling that they are being controled.A little haircut will not cause tons of problems in a marriage.
Jess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
I can't believe anyone is actually having an argument on whether or not a married woman's hair belongs to herself or if it is a piece of property jointly owned by her husband.Gimme a break-- if someone, male or female, wants to cut their hair, why should it be such a big deal? If my boyfriend/husband wanted to do something with his hair whether it be growing it out or chopping it off, I wouldn't give him the cold shoulder or tell him that his hair "belongs to me, too". It seems to me that people who try to push their spouses/lovers in to changing their bodies by using emotional manipulation are control freaks. Off the subject, what's with this idea that women were better off in the Middle Ages, anyway? Give me a break! They wore chastity belts back then and couldn't inherit property, etc.-- so don't tell me women had it good back then.Hair is a personal thing. If a person finds that their long hair is annoying, they have every right to cut it off. Some people can't grow their hair long without it turning into a mess of split ends anyway... I question any guy who tells me what to do with my hair, physical appearance-- nobody owns me! If a guy pursues women completely based on how nice their hair is has a problem.
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
Hi,Who the hair belongs to isn't really the issue here. Of course women can do whatever they want to with their hair! But, when you are in a marriage, it's always nice to consider the other person. Katie did consider her husband's opinion about how he wanted her hair to look, and she tried to accomadate his wishes. This was very admirable of her. But, she found the she couldn't stand to have all that hair. This is understandable, as she was used to having short hair. Then, one day, she finally decided that she couldn't stand it any longer and had her hair cut. But, when the haircut turned out shorted than what she had in mind, her husband misinterpereted the haircut as something done to spite him, because he had asked her to grow her hair out (I think that's what was going on, correct me if I'm wrong, Katie.) This discussion is merely about a misunderstanding between husband and wife. Katie's husband just misinterperted her motivations for getting the haircut, that's all. Now it's Katie's job to smooth things over and her husband's job to let her. I'm sure that they can patch things up.Erika> I can't believe anyone is actually having an argument> on whether or not a married woman's hair belongs to> herself or if it is a piece of property jointly owned> by her husband.> Gimme a break-- if someone, male or female, wants to> cut their hair, why should it be such a big deal? If> my boyfriend/husband wanted to do something with his> hair whether it be growing it out or chopping it off,> I wouldn't give him the cold shoulder or tell him that> his hair "belongs to me, too". It seems to> me that people who try to push their spouses/lovers in> to changing their bodies by using emotional> manipulation are control freaks. Off the subject,> what's with this idea that women were better off in> the Middle Ages, anyway? Give me a break! They wore> chastity belts back then and couldn't inherit> property, etc.-- so don't tell me women had it good> back then.> Hair is a personal thing. If a person finds that their> long hair is annoying, they have every right to cut it> off. Some people can't grow their hair long without it> turning into a mess of split ends anyway... I question> any guy who tells me what to do with my hair, physical> appearance-- nobody owns me! If a guy pursues women> completely based on how nice their hair is has a> problem.
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
> I struggle with this kind of thing, because it seems> like long hair attracts husbands, but then the wives> cut it all off once they get their men. Sorry if this> sounds judgmental; I don't mean it to sound that way,> but it's something I've observed women do for over a> decade,Don't struggle with this, Jennifer. It's a fact that long hair attracts husbands, and I like the attention it attracts. (Insert smile here!)Seriously, I have noticed this, but the time frame in my area may be a little longer. It don't seem that we "give up" our long hair when we get married, but more so, when we have our first baby. Someone with very long hair around here is assumed to be childless. Some examples:Many times a young mother will be at the school, and notice my hair, if it's down. She might make a comment of how nice it looks, and then follow it by "You must not have children."Or, " I used to have long hair, too. But then the kids..."Thier assumption may be right, because in eight years here, I can't remember a young mom with hair past her waist.Maybe someone reading this could shed more light on this subject. Has anyone with very long hair raised young children?
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
You have made false accusations against me. You accusedof having done things to ladies that I have never done.I am not responisible for things during the middle ages.You are trying to slander me on this Hair Board. I havenever did any thing degreading to women.You are condemingme for things I have never down. You do not know whathasppened in the Middle Ages,and you said.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
I have three children and had long hair all their lives (until ~5 months ago). The longest my hair ever is a couple of inches above my waist. I wanted it longer but that's about as long as it would grow!I think there are various reasons why women cut their hair after they have kids. Often pregnancy and childbirth leave us with stretch marks or a few extra pounds which can detract from our feeling feminine and sexy. To many, a new haircut is a quick way for a boost in self-esteem or feeling good about ourselves. (Though I never felt a short haircut would do that for me!)Another reason is that due to hormones, our hair becomes thinner about six months postpartum. I wish someone would have told me before that happened, as I was concerned when my hair started getting thinner! So, with thinner hair, often women look and feel better with shorter hair.Anyone with a 6-12 month-old can tell you -- no dangling earrings! Babies are fascinated with dangling earrings and long hair. Instead of having to constantly tie the hair back, many women feel it's just easier to have short hair.Another reason might be that cutting her hair makes a woman feel older and more mature, since she's now a mother. Many view long hair as something for young girls, not mothers. (Please understand that I'm not agreeing or saying any of these are right, but they are possible explanations of why women cut their hair after giving birth)Another reason is the time factor. Although many women here with very long hair find they spend very little time on their hair, other women with long hair do spend a lot of time with it. And when the baby comes, the time goes! Some women just feel it's more practical to have short hair that dries quickly so they can run out the door sooner than having to wait for the hair to dry naturally or to take the time using a hair dryer.And having a baby is a new milestone in our lives. Sometimes getting a short haircut is just a way to celebrate the milestone or a way to acknowledge that as our lives change, so does our hair.And there could be some peer pressure involved, as well. As you noticed, most "moms" don't have long hair, so a woman may cut her hair to feel a need to fit in. I personally loved my long hair and didn't mind at all being the unique mom with a short haircut! So again, I'm not saying these reasons are right, but I think for some women, they may explain the actions of a new short cut after becoming moms. :-)
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
> Hello Mark:Jennifer is trying to tell you that the middle ages weren't great times. Women suffer back then. Women had no rights. They weren't treated as humans etc.I am not sure if you know who you are corresponding to but Jennifer Eve is very much a long hair lady. One day I will have hair as long as hers. She is a very intelligent lady and very kind.Plus do not be offended but I have to agree with Jennifer. When I read your messages it sounds like you feel that we should grow our hair and we have no choices in life. We are like puppets. Okay Mark why don't we give you the change to really express yourself on this subject. I am willing to hear you out.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:41pm
Hi Jena,Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject. I'd like to make a few points of observation (not directed at you specifically, but just things that make me wonder "why?").Comments welcome!> I think there are various reasons why women cut their> hair after they have kids. Often pregnancy and> childbirth leave us with stretch marks or a few extra> pounds which can detract from our feeling feminine and> sexy. To many, a new haircut is a quick way for a> boost in self-esteem or feeling good about ourselves.Curious, because I've heard one of the reasons women GROW their hair long is as an expression of femininity and as a way to feel more sexy.I'm also curious as to why a haircut would provide a self-esteem boost. Cutting one's hair doesn't help a woman lose either excess weight or stretch marks!> Another reason is that due to hormones, our hair> becomes thinner about six months postpartum. I wish> someone would have told me before that happened, as I> was concerned when my hair started getting thinner!I've heard that during pregnancy that the natural rate of hair fallout decreases (giving the accurate impression that one's hair becomes thicker during pregnancy). So the post-partum hair loss is just a matter of the scalp "making up for lost time," so to speak. I would hypothesize that the net result two years after initially becoming pregnant is that there would be no change in the amount of hairs.So it seems to me that women who cut their hair when its rate of fallout increases during the post-partum period are unnecessarily panicking/obsessing over a return to the normal number of hairs.> So, with thinner hair, often women look and feel> better with shorter hair.But when the excessive rate of hair fallout ceases, the hair's thickness is the same as it was before pregnancy -- yet many (most?) women at that point will have chosen to have shorter hair than at the time they got pregnant. The hair is only thinner in relation to the unusually-thick quantity of hair during pregnancy.> Anyone with a 6-12 month-old can tell you -- no> dangling earrings! Babies are fascinated with dangling> earrings and long hair. Instead of having to> constantly tie the hair back, many women feel it's> just easier to have short hair."Constantly tie the hair back..." Hmmm... tie the hair back once, done for the day. Not *really* difficult or time-consuming.My point is that this situation is easily resolved (virtually to the point of being a non-issue) if the mother of a newborn wishes to keep her hair long.> Another reason might be that cutting her hair makes a> woman feel older and more mature, since she's now a> mother.If HAVING a baby makes a woman feel "older and more mature," then why is a haircut necessary to assist in that self-perception?This explanation also seems odd because the lament of longing for a more youthful appearance is so frequently expressed.> Many view long hair as something for young> girls, not mothers. (Please understand that I'm not> agreeing or saying any of these are right, but they> are possible explanations of why women cut their hair> after giving birth)Indeed, this notion also seems very peculiar. Such a rigid (and fallacious) social rule with no apparent purpose or benefit.> Another reason is the time factor. Although many women> here with very long hair find they spend very little> time on their hair, other women with long hair do> spend a lot of time with it.It seems to be a matter of choice as to how much time one wants to spend on their hair. No matter what a person's hair length, they can choose to either spend a small amount of time on it, or a lot of time on it. It all depends on the extent they wish to "force it" into a style.> And when the baby comes,> the time goes! Some women just feel it's more> practical to have short hair that dries quickly so> they can run out the door sooner than having to wait> for the hair to dry naturally or to take the time> using a hair dryer.So much preoccupation with having dry hair...> And having a baby is a new milestone in our lives.> Sometimes getting a short haircut is just a way to> celebrate the milestoneWow. A short haircut as celebration? This notion is completely mystifying. "Hey, I just _______! (fill in the blank with whichever achievement/contest won/etc.) Let's go celebrate with a haircut!"> or a way to acknowledge that> as our lives change, so does our hair.The idea that one's hair "ought to" change BECAUSE some other *unrelated* factor in our lives has changed seems very peculiar.> And there could be some peer pressure involved, as> well. As you noticed, most "moms" don't have> long hair, so a woman may cut her hair to feel a need> to fit in.Doesn't the woman who HAS CHILDREN "fit into" the category called "mothers?" (in other words, why should a woman feel compelled to cut her hair in order to LOOK LIKE other women who are mothers?")> I personally loved my long hair and didn't> mind at all being the unique mom with a short haircut!I think you meant to say that you didn't mind being the unique mom with the long hair?> So again, I'm not saying these reasons are right, but> I think for some women, they may explain the actions> of a new short cut after becoming moms. :-)Thanks Jena for sharing these possible explanations. It has sure left me shaking my head in disbelief!Dave
David M Squires
Unregistered
Unregistered
Hello Jennifer:This reminds me of the time I decided to get a tight perm years and years ago and my husband felt I looked like some type of poodle and he wasn't impressed.He never said one word the first time but when I was thinking of doing the same thing again he mentioned the word poodle. But I went ahead and got my poodle perm lolHe wasn't impressed and we never discussed it or anything of the sort. I just knew his feelings. I never knew where to compromise on this issue when I was younger.Men can be strange sometimes. At times they don't say what is on their mind right away.When I got married I had shoulder length hair and not once did he ask me about having my hair grow longer and yet I would hear once in while comments how much he loved Crystal Gayle and me not knowing much about very long hair I was concerned about the fact one might trip over their own hair lolKnowing me I would probably trip over my own hair. lolNot once he asked me about growing my hair. He left me alone and never pressured me. I on the other hand never understood his passion for long hair.There was one discussion about it and he told me that I need to understand men.What is that suppose to mean? Heck I think one needs a major degree to understand men at times because my late husband said one thing and yet my boyfriend doesn't share this passion for long hair at all.But both men did allow me to be who I am in the hair situation.Today I understand the word compromise and finding the middle ground. I am going to become a member of a cigar club so that my boyfriend can receive free stuff etc and he mentioned that he admires the fact that I seem to enjoy cigars as much as he does eventhough I don't smoke them nor plan to smoke .At the same time he has accepted that I will have long hair and once in while he does caress my hair when we watch TV or he does brush my hair in a blue moon.For me the word used to mean that we would lose something but reality is we gained everything.>>
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:42pm
> I'm also curious as to why a haircut would provide a> self-esteem boost. Cutting one's hair doesn't help a> woman lose either excess weight or stretch marks!> HI Dave:I couldn't resist the temptation of teasing you.I remember when I had my first child that I felt like hell.It didn't matter how much I brush that hair and it really didn't matter if I bought new clothes or new makeup I really felt like hell.Then I got a haircut and a perm and I felt much better.Something new, something exciting , something fresh etc.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:42pm
> I couldn't resist the temptation of teasing you.> I remember when I had my first child that I felt like> hell.> It didn't matter how much I brush that hair and it> really didn't matter if I bought new clothes or new> makeup I really felt like hell.> Then I got a haircut and a perm and I felt much> better.> Something new, something exciting , something fresh> etc.Something new? It is that. Something fresh? If "fresh" equates to "new," then it is new. But something exciting?I'm curious as to the origination of the idea that a haircut is "exciting." A haircutter trying to drum up business, perhaps?Dave
David M Squires
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:42pm
> Something new? It is that. Something fresh? If> "fresh" equates to "new," then it> is new. But something exciting?> I'm curious as to the origination of the idea that a> haircut is "exciting." A haircutter trying> to drum up business, perhaps?> DaveI think it is just that it was a diffirent look that made it refreshing for me.But again I didn't cut my hair the second time when I had my second child.Maybe I couldn't find a stylist? lol
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:42pm
Dave,I think the whole crux of the matter is that you do not see a short haircut as anything positive. And that's perfectly fine, but you do need to realize that a haircut is a positive factor in some people's lives. It's like trying to explain why you like the color [fill in the blank with green, red, blue, etc] better than another color.Many women who have children simply find that they prefer shorter hair. And I gave some possible reasons why. You may not agree or understand the reasons but you really should acknowledge them.I'll be honest -- I really do prefer long hair. I have short hair now and am not pleased with it. But when I read comments such as yours that really are so one-dimensional that you don't see any other point-of-view, it actually makes short hair not only acceptable but actually a little more appealing! And when I hear people talk about how only a short haircut is feminine on women so that her facial features and head shape are displayed better and how long hair is just a tangly mess then I want to never again cut my hair! Not meant to be a harsh critcism, but when you constantly challenge and refuse to accept reasons why people may prefer short hair, it tends to label you as a militant. Do you understand? I *don't* prefer short hair, yet I understand and appreciate that some do.> I think you meant to say that you didn't mind being> the unique mom with the long hair?Whoops! Yes, thanks for the correction. :-)Jena
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:42pm
> Something new? It is that. Something fresh? If> "fresh" equates to "new," then it> is new. But something exciting?> I'm curious as to the origination of the idea that a> haircut is "exciting." A haircutter trying> to drum up business, perhaps?> DaveI think that it's more getting your hair "done" or fixed up nice than getting it cut. It just happens that, in our culture, getting your hair "done" often involves getting at least some of it cut off. It doesn't really have to, especially if your hair is already long enough to be styled as long hair (with all of those braiding and updo options), but it still often does. I know that I love to get my hair professionally braided, especially in a style I can't do myself. After I have had my hair braided, I feel pretty and, if I was in a bad mood, I often feel better about myself, at least temporarily. In that sense, having my hair professionally braided or put up is "exciting." I think that is what Diane means by the haircut being "exciting."Erika
Unregistered
Unregistered
>When I had my first child my hair was between stages so I didn't think of a braid but a haircut with a new style.Later on it was diffirent. YOu have the idea if my hair would have been long at the time I would have felt better if someone would have braided it and put in some babybreaths etc in my hair.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:42pm
Hi Jena,I see from your response that I have failed to adequately express mythoughts on the matter. I understand and accept that different peoplewill have different preferences. I acknowledge that the reasons youhave described are oft-expressed. And I did read that you personallyfeel that these reasons don't apply to you. Please understand thatI have no quarrel with you or the points you highlighted (no punintended).I tried (obviously unsuccessfully) to "branch out" from the pointsyou raised, to discuss the issue from a more theoretical standpoint.The point I was trying to make is that it seems as though long-hairedwomen who become mothers seeking advice are rarely, if ever, presentedwith alternatives that don't involve cutting the hair. The new motherwho gives up on the long hair that she loves has my compassion.For example... When do you ever hear well-intentioned hair advicegiven to new mothers that doesn't involve cutting hair shorter? The"baby-grabbing-the-hair" syndrome is a perfect example. Sure, a shorthaircut is one way to address the issue, but the same "out-of-the-way"characteristic can be achieved with long hair if it is either pulledback or put up. How often do you ever hear advice given to new mothersto new mothers to put their long hair up? I have never heard, nor heardof, this possibility ever suggested, not even once. But many people arequick to advise new mothers only that they should cut their long hairshort to remedy this situation.Hoping I'm not digging myself into a deeper hole,Dave
David M Squires
Katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:43pm
When we first dating my hair was shoulder length. We dated for about 3 years, in that time I had gotten a a few permsone with a real short haircut. My husband really never said anything at that time. Most of my life I have had short hair, I grow it out once in awhile but I'm mostly short.> This is a generalization, but I think it's true often> enough to be called a trend:> When men and women marry, two things happen. Men> expect> their wives to stay the same, which does not occur.> Women> expect their husbands to change, which does not occur.> I'm still curious to hear from Katie about what her> hair was like when they were dating. Either her> opinion about having long hair changed since then or> else her then-boyfriend wasn't clear about his strong> desire for her to have long hair. Often conflicts are> rooted in the dating process, but people are blinded> by puppy love and ignore potential problems!
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:43pm
> When we first dating my hair was shoulder length. We> dated for about 3 years, in that time I had gotten a a> few perms one with a real short haircut...Most of my> life I have had short hair, I grow it out once in awhile> but I'm mostly short.You sound like you have had a very normal life, as far as your hair is concerned!Really, around here you will always find the "Oh my GOD, don't ever cut you precious hair" attitude a bunch more than the "Hey, it is normal change at different times in your life" attitude.Hope things are OK between you and your spouse. He will most probably get used to the idea of you changing your hair with time.Z.
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
Zorak,It all depends on how you define "normal." In the larger scheme of life, not just limited to hair issues, I don't care to simply follow the dictates of society just for the sake of conformity, so no one would consider me too different. I enjoy, nay, revel, in my uniqueness. Little is ever achieved by those who fear ridicule for being different. They are trapped. Great achievements usually require steping out of the bounds of normalcy. There is definitely risk of laughter and reprimand, but in the long run, greatness is recognized, and much more importantly, you learn how strong you are in bucking trends, in standing up to peer pressure, and you discover greater self respect. There comes a time in life where "different" becomes "good," and "normal" becomes "boring," and you learn to delight in those aspects of yourself that are distinct.Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic