Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To sue or not to sue...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
The word "lady" used repetitively, and in fact, the same ideas written over and over repeatedly using different words which say the same things but are different and.....Quite the mystery now, isn't it? ;-)
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
> concerned about law suits. Many long hair ladies are> being hit hard with buzz cut and crew cut hair styles.> The stylist knows it is hard for a costumer to win a> suit. The cost for a lady to file is very high. There> are many stylists,at my beauty shop,that have said> requested a cut of one inch,and got 16 inches cut off.> their was a lady with long hair to to middle of the> back,that got her long hear sheared of down less that> 2 inches all over,with the beauty shop clippers. Many> beauticians have no time> for long hair. Long hair ladies are having their long> hair> cut from 12 to 24 inches leaving only 1 to 2 inches on> the ladies heads. No matter if the beautician hears> what> the customer says,the lady will normally get a drastic> haircut. THe beauticians are under time> constraints,and> will give long haired ladies a one inch crewcut or> buzz cuts.,opn a frequent basis> Most beauticians will ignore a one inch trim request,> and give most of the ladies with long hair a haircut> to cut off down to one or two inches on thier head. A> law suit is very hard to win. A lady who goes> into a beauty shop,faces a high risk of getting her> long HAIR buzzed with the barber clippers. You will> never get any money,in a law suit,but the lady will> end up the WITH the super short haircut everytime.> Most beauticianbs think Crewcuts and buzz cuts are> popular on many former long hair ladies. I live in a> very big city and I have long hair> fall off all over in many beauty shops in my big city.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
I can understand not really being aware of an extra 2-3 inches of hair being cut, especially if the hair is quite long, but if your hair is half-way down your back and you see or feel scissors start to be placed near your head, I know I would immediately yell, "Wait! What are you doing?!"And especially if clippers are used. That sound is unmistakeable! I would definitely turn my head to see what the hell was going on!!Like I said, I can easily believe someone getting an extra *few* inches cut off that they didn't ask for, but these non-consensual pixie and buzzcuts are just a little too far out to believe, with the very sad exception of a parent telling a stylist to cut a child's hair short without telling the child first. {sigh}
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
> Of course, if the mean old stylist had no prior> history for you to reveal in a claim, and there were> no witnesses, and with his sharp shears he was able to> very quickly whack off the braid before you could so> much as emit a squeal......Yes, now, there's a truly neurotic situation. I agree with you there, Zorak. lol In reality, I've never been to a stylist who took off more than an inch more than I asked them too. I really don't think that things like that happen more than once in a blue moon.> Hey, lets not get TOO neurotic around here, OK?? (-:> Z.P.S.The wacking my braid off idea came to me as I was posting because it was something that a few of my co-workers (two or three mean ones) this summer would tease me about. A two other (much nicer) co-workers also had fun calculating how long it would take my hair to grow back if it were cut short.
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
> This is something I thought of, too, to jump up and> loudly scream in protest.Now this sounds like the best advice yet!If the first part cut was in the front, then the worst that would happen is that you would have bangs. If you scream fast enough, I'm sure you could cover up the loss of a small amount of hair.The last time I saw a stylist was before my best friend's wedding. She wanted us all to go to this salon to have our hair done. I wanted to wear mine down, because it flowed so well with the dress. The stylist made some suggestions, but in the end, she listened to what I said, and was more than willing to do the "one inch trim".
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
First I find it very hard to understand that person wouldn't notice that the stylist is cutting more than asked.Secondly I find it very hard to beleive that a stylist would go against one wishes.But again i might be wrong.All Iknow when I order a salon. I and stylist discuss how much is to be taken off. She shows me.If for some reason that would happen that the stylist cut more than I ask I would get up from my chair. Would take some pictures and I would make sure that everyone in the city knew about it and made my best to close the business for good.>>
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
> No kidding! Sure, getting "more" of a> haircut than you requested can be very upsetting, but> let's get a grip. It's *hair* and it grows! For> someone to be so upset to the point of suing suggests> that the person has some real mental problems far> beyond a bad haircut that need to be dealt with. Such> a huge attachment to hair that would cause mental> anguish if it were cut suggests a less than stable> person.It is not the haircut that would be the issue .It is customer service. If a business cannot provide customer service then they shouldn't be in business. Lots of businesses do go under because the lack of customer service.No offense but you both have a bad attitude on this because you are actually accepting that you as a customer will not be taken seriously when you ask for something. Don't expect to get your car etc fix properly with your attitude. It is people like you that can easily give business a way out to the lack of customer service.okay no offense. I am just trying to show you guys that customer service is everything.Yes courts are expensive but not clain courts and not word of mouth, newpaper.Between you both I never had a bad experience because all the stylist I been to were very professional and wanted my business in the future.Word of mouth makes or breaks those businesses. I really don't beleive all the stories I read on this board.
Unregistered
Unregistered
>I wrote a note to Jena and Zorak about this. The bottom line is customer service. If we as a society allows business to lack on the customer service then we won't have any customer service period.Businesses are based 100% on customer service.Jennifer I been going to stylist all my life and not once have I ever had a bad experience. Okay I had perms that didn't take and they had to redo it but never never a hair cut that was butchered nor I ever heard of such an experience from others that I work with etc.
Unregistered
Unregistered
> I think the exact same way. Choose your stylist . Do the research etc.I think most stylist are very professional.
Unregistered
Unregistered
> People drag businesses in small claim courts everyday for lack of customer service and lot of them win.Personally I would place an ad in the newspaper asking the public if they had problems and to come forward .Then I would also try to find out the names of the other clients because where there is smoke there is fire.I would certainly do my research first. But again I am not the type to be caught in using a bad stylist. I do my research .Eventhought the client wouldn't win the publicity would damange the salon anyways.
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
Oh! This is so cruel! Thanks for bringing it up. I went through it for years as a child, wearing pixies and Dorothy Hamils, while my mother let my sister have much longer hair. Now the two of us are reversed. Ironies, huh? Why do parents do these things?!Jennifer Eve> Like I said, I can easily believe someone getting an> extra *few* inches cut off that they didn't ask for,> but these non-consensual pixie and buzzcuts are just a> little too far out to believe, with the very sad> exception of a parent telling a stylist to cut a> child's hair short without telling the child first.> {sigh}
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:44pm
I was commenting on all those posts about leaving 2 inches after cutting off 16-20-26-whatever many inches, that it would be the same as if all but 2 of my inches were to be cut off. I would be horrified, as these cutters sounded wicked. Now I read they're not real. But it sounded like you thought that people's being upset about losing any amount of hair, even if it was 2-3 feet, was no big deal, that getting upset over this meant a mental imbalance. I was surprised. But I agree, going to court over 5 inches is pushing it. But then John Bobbit did... LOL!I suppose what we need to do is check the times letters are posted before we comment, because I bet your note that I responded to was posted before some of those more drastic, phony cases, but I couldn't tell. This thread is growing so fast! LOL! We all must have a boring Sunday today. LOL!Jennifer Eve

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> I was commenting on all those posts about leaving 2> inches after cutting off 16-20-26-whatever many> inches, that it would be the same as if all but 2 of> my inches were to be cut off. I would be horrified,Oh, absolutely -- me, too! Unless a person walked into a salon under the influence of alcohol or drugs, I simply cannot imagine a woman sitting there, essentially allowing her head to be shorn when all she wanted was a slight trim, while saying nothing! Now true, she could just be so absolutely shocked that her body froze for a moment, but it takes more than a "moment" to cut of all that hair!>as these cutters sounded wicked.Actually, I think you're being too kind. Sadistic sounds more like it to me. Someone cutting nearly all of a client's hair off without permission whatsoever actually sounds like someone is receiving a perverse pleasure.I mean no disrespect to the hairstyling profession whatsoever, but until someone has a firmly-established relationship with a stylist, I'd personally recommend keeping a close eye on where those scissors snip! Because there also could be an honest misinterpretation of communication, as well.> Now I read they're not> real. But it sounded like you thought that people's> being upset about losing any amount of hair, even if> it was 2-3 feet, was no big deal, that getting upset> over this meant a mental imbalance. I was surprised.Well, I don't know if you read my initial post here several months ago, but at my own hands (gee, it would have been nice to be able to blame somebody else....), I could off about 16" of my own hair which left me with a very short haircut. Although I'm fine now (but I'm definitely growing it out!) I was *more* than upset when it happened. It was simply too drastic of a shock for me, and I had a very rough time dealing with it. Now, if my hair were the same length as it was before my little massacre, and someone cut off five inches without my permission, I definitely wouldn't be happy! And I'd complain to the manager and to my friends about it, but it wouldn't affect me nearly as much as if much more length were cut off.> But I agree, going to court over 5 inches is pushing> it. But then John Bobbit did... LOL!I about died laughing when I read that!!! Well, at least hair grows back on its own without surgical intervention. {grin}>We all must have a boring Sunday today. LOL!Oh, a lazy day for me! Yesterday I was extremely active and got a lot of work done. Today, I'm vegging. And I haven't even taken a shower or washed my hair yet!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
I think there was a federal law in the US and other countries that said any female growing up in the 1970s was required to wear a pixie before reaching adulthood.....Well, my dear, I sympathize because I did manage to escape the Dorothy Hamill cut! But since I did indeed make it to adulthood, I obviously served my tour of duty with the pixie look, *not* of my own design, obviously. Actually, there was a thread on this several weeks or months ago, where nearly everyone remembers those horrid little pixies! I always wanted long hair but my mom always made me cut it short, too, just like pretty much everyone else that I knew.If you don't mind my asking, is your sister older than you? Why was she allowed to keep her hair longer?Want to hear something hilarious? My hair is kind of in a pixie style right now! I am keeping the bottom in the back trimmed short until the top grows down more. When it gets to just below my shoulders, I'll probably get the sides tapered just a tiny bit (I've done it before and definitely prefer that look on me), but the rest of it I want one length. And it feels funny with hair growing down my neck while the top is still relatively short, so I'll just wait for the top to grow down a little longer (they don't have to be exactly even, though), and then I'll quit cutting the bottom. So, I'm more-or-less wearing the hairstyle I absolutely despised as a child. Isn't life grand!?!
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:45pm
Just to clear things up. This is a HYPOTHETICAL situation. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME!... Thank God! I was just curious as to what y'all had to say:)Well, seems like you are all saying the same thing: the person has the right to sue, but it's not likely that he or she will get anything out of it. Now how fair is that?! Don't you think someone should go out there and change the rules?I agree that 5-6 inches isn't too much. Let's make things more interesting. Suppose a person with butt-length hair asked for a one inch trim. The stylist chops off the whole length. The person was turned away from the mirror and did not know what was going on until the stylist finished- therfore, s/he didn't protest during the cut. Now what? (BTW, I've never had my hair cut by a stylist, so I have no idea how all of this works)Hey- how about this- do the politically correct thing: long-haired-people rights! Stop discrimination against long-haired-peopole! OK, this is goin too far. Stupid joke, I agree.PDP.S. If law suit doesn't work, you can always give the stylist a "blanket party". Hehe.> Ok, here's a hypothetical situation (which isn't so> hypothetical: it's happened before). A long haired> person goes to a salon to get the hair trimmed one> inch. And I repeat, ONE INCH. The person makes this> clear to the stylist. The stylist takes off five or> six inches. The no longer long-haired person gets> angry and threatens to sue. Do you think s/he has the> right to sue, or do you think this is not a big enough> deal to take to court? I would say, go on and sue the> stylist.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:45pm
That is pretty ironic about your hair, yeah. Did you do this by choice, I have to assume? You sound like you know what you're doing in growing it out. I think I'd do the same thing. Good luck!My sister is 19 months my senior. Her hair wasn't exactly long, just always a good deal longer than mine. When I had a pixie, she had that awful shag hair cut, remember it? But hers was to her shoulders, while mine was above the collar. When I had the Hamill "do," hers was growing out as she pleased. Each time I had to go back for a trim, she didn't, and the hair cutter kept trimming mine shorter and shorter. It was hard to argue with my mom. I was so young and impressionable.See, my mother, like so many women her age (not all, I know), is of the opinion that fine and thin hair shouldn't be long. Back then, my hair wasn't as thick as it is now, though it's just as fine (it tangles wickedly if I don't keep after it, so usually I wear it up). Anyhow, they all felt you had to have "body" to have pretty hair. She grew up in the days of teasing and foam curlers. I think the girls in the high school yearbooks from the 1950s look like they're 50 years old, but women of that age group think it looks great. Go figure!Jennifer Eve

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:45pm
LOL! Glad to give you the giggles. I've not showered today, either, and it's been days since I last washed my hair. I just pop it up in my "wrapped" French twist and assuage my guilty, lazy conscience with the notion that I'm letting the wrapped ends soak up all that rich sebum I overabundantly produce. And I don't leave the house while like this, but today, I've painted the front door, caulked the siding by the balcony out back, and now I have tomatoes to harvest. (See TLHS/HairCare/Styles for what I mean by the "wrapped" French twist - c'est moi!)Jennifer Eve> Oh, a lazy day for me! Yesterday I was extremely> active and got a lot of work done. Today, I'm vegging.> And I haven't even taken a shower or washed my hair> yet!

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:45pm
> I really like your sense of humour.The bottom line is customer service and we should really make sure we are using a stylist that is professional and cares about their customer's needs.Personally I think most stylist are very client oriented and will listen to their client's needs. They might makes suggestions which are always welcome when we are searching for ideas.I have often use their suggestions in the past.I just feel that we should have any business accountable for their customer service. What route we take would really depend on the damage and what the client decides.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:45pm
> (See TLHS/HairCare/Styles for what I mean by the> "wrapped" French twist - c'est moi!)I want to see! When I clicked on "gallery," are you the one on the bottom row, far right? I have to say -- all those women have *gorgeous* hair!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:45pm
> Did you do this by choice, I have to assume?Actually, the story I prefer is that I was kidnapped by a gang of thieves and they gave me a pair of scissors and told me that I had to cut my hair short or else they would rule the world with tyranny, so I became the brave warrior and sacrificed my hair for the sake of all mankind.... But in case that's a bit far-fetched for you, then I guess the boring tale is that it was by my choice, although I really do prefer the first story. {grin} (I won't bore the forum any further, but if you are interested in the sordid details, I'll share them via e-mail)> You sound like you know what you're doing in growing > itout. I think I'd do the same thing. Good luck!Thanks! I will have to admit it's giving me a new perspective on many things. Patience being one of them! And it is kind of interesting watching hair patterns as they grow. I didn't realize that one side of my bangs wants to grow back! Which explained why my bangs often lay a bit funny. Although I have a feeling I'll end up with bangs, I've decided to let the front grow out with the rest of the hair to see what it looks like.>When I had a pixie, she had that awful shag hair> cut, remember it?Thankfully I never had it, but unfortunately yes, I remember it!> But hers was to her shoulders, while> mine was above the collar. When I had the Hamill> "do," hers was growing out as she pleased.Uh-oh, it sounds like a perfect sibling rivalry prescription for me.> Each time I had to go back for a trim, she didn't, and> the hair cutter kept trimming mine shorter and> shorter. It was hard to argue with my mom. I was so> young and impressionable.Hmmm...was it cut shorter and shorter because of the request from your mom or because the cutter thought it would look better shorter?>I think the> girls in the high school yearbooks from the 1950s look> like they're 50 years old,No kidding!! Severe hairstyles and severe make-up really aged women then, I think.Well, I'm finally moving la derriere into the shower and washing my hair. I will admit to one advantage of having short hair -- it dries quickly!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic