Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To sue or not to sue...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
>>> PS. Diane, you were far too gracious with this guy.> But I applaud your approach anyhow.How can I put this in words Jennifer? I totally agree with you and I would love to wring his neck for the very cruel words . He is an adult and he knows better.
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
> I do not dispute that any woman has a legal right to> be shorthaired if she chooses. However, she has no> right to exist free of comment regarding her decision> to be short-haired, or to compel anyone to associate> with her who does not choose to do so on the basis of> having short hair.> I am completely within my rights to express my> negative opinions regarding the desirability of the> continued existence of short haired women. My opinion> is that short-haired women are ugly, and will continue> to so state. I am also completely within my rights to> decline to date, screw, marry, hire, buy from, or do> business with, short haired women, and I will continue> to decline to do so.My, I guess you saw that awful picture of me in eighth grade! (smiling.) I rent it out to anyone with roach problems.Yes, you are within your rights to say anything you want, date you you want, ect. We are within our rights to tell jokes about lawyers. ( I see the stones comming, better duck!) Nothing good comes of these things, so why state them?I've added three and one-half feet of hair to my ugly eighth grade head, and I still am sort of ugly. Guess I missed the boat.
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
> I have a question for David Justin Lynch: why do you> talk about women this way?Because I think the world would be a better place if all women had long hair. There would be more beauty, women would be more feminine, not so harsh.>Do you sincerely hold a dogmatic conviction that women should have long hair?Yes.> -- or are you in fact attempting reverse psychology,> as I think Lady Godiva suggested?No.>What is your preference rooted in?Purely a Personal Preference based on a sincere desire to improve the world.>Religion?To some extent. St. Paul has some explicit words on this topic. I am an Episcopalian (but I do favor ordaining women to the priesthood and episcopate).>Tradition?Yes, I am high-church, and like classical music. So I am traditional in some ways. But I am untraditional in other ways, because I prefer women who give birth to big paychecks in lieu of babies.>Do you subject male employees to hair length requirementstoo, or do you only do this to women?Yes. At our office, a woman's hair must touch the shoulderblades, and men must have it above the collar. Men should look like men and women should look like women. Masculine and Feminine are different, but equally important.>Would it be fair to judge your worth as an individual on the basis of your hair? Please do tell me: I sincerely want to know where you are coming from.Yes. I have a conservative business-like haircut. People take me seriously.David> Madelen
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
Dear Diane from Canada:First, let me say that I think Canada is the next best country in the world after my own, and that I enjoy travelling there, particularly in the Summer and particularly in Vancouver and Victoria, BC. I also like Toronto, Montreal, and London, Ontario.Second, my mother was indeed short haired and very mean to me while I was growing up. My grandmother had long hair and was very nice to me. I am a sensitive boy who feels safer with long haired woman.DAVID, Esquire> AT least we can say you have a backbone and you stand> for what you believe in no matter if you are popular> or not.> I am not trying to change your mind as someone> wouldn't be able to change my attitude in life.> Everytime I read your messages I wonder why you have> such a hatred for short hair ladies? Did someone in> your past treat you so badly and she was a short hair> lady ? Those are my thoughts when I read your> messages.> David I was a short hair woman for the longest time> and now I have long hair down to my waist and plan to> continue to grow it until it reaches my knees but I am> the same Diane short hair to long hair.> My personality, my eyes , my heart never changed but> grew with experience in life which hair has nothing to> do with it.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Dear Lady Godiva,No reverse psychology. I honestly and sincerely believe that the world would be a better place if all women had long hair. How a woman wears her hair makes a statement about who she is. I am simply more comfortable with the statement that long hair makes.DAVID, Esquire> Well, David, consider this: your incredible misogyny> has lost you a potential friend in this very> longhaired woman. To base all your appreciation for> women on a single attribute renders you repulsive in> my opinion. How incredibly superficial you are. You> would cast aside hiring a struggling single mother> with short hair, who perhaps would be a better> employee than a longhaired woman, simply on the basis> of hair? This is laughable! It's attitudes like yours> which will prompt women to cut their hair, simply to> spite men like you. But perhaps that is your true> motive here: you may very well be a short hair lover> attempting to use reverse psychology to actually> encourage women to cut their hair. It's been seen here> before, so I understand. Well, I'm not biting. I don't> grow my hair for any man, and no man can influence me> to alter that. No woman can either, for that matter. I> feel really sorry for you to live such a shortsighted> life. You want this world to survive? Then get out of> the dark ages.> Laughing,> Jennifer Eve> PS. Diane, you were far too gracious with this guy.> But I applaud your approach anyhow. And Dave, you were> great, too. We need more men like you in the world.> Doesn't this sound all too familiar? Hugs to you both.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
> David,Sometimes ladies with long hair,undergo chemotherapytreatments. After a series of chemotherapy treatments,many long hair ladies will lose all of their long hair.I have several ladies in my town,that lost all of theirlong hair,from chemotherapy treatments. These ladieslove long hair,but they will start to grow their hairback after the chemotherapy is finished. These ladieswill have short hair,for a long time,until their hair grows out to long hair,after several years. The main point is thatmedical conditions can prevent ladies from having longhair. A lady may end up with short hair,due to circumstances beyond her control.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
>>> Second, my mother was indeed short haired and very> mean to me while I was growing up. My grandmother had> long hair and was very nice to me. I am a sensitive> boy who feels safer with long haired woman.> DAVID, EsquireI am very sorry to hear that you are treated so badly in life as a child. It really pains me to hear this. Again I am very sorry.
Madelen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
> I do have long hair because I happen to look dorky with it cut short; even so, I'm confident that I could be "harsh" (whatever you may mean by that) if I wanted to be. Having read your response -- and I do thank you for writing -- I doubt that anything that I say will convince you that a long-haired woman is not necessarily trying to send a message of passivity, gentleness, or anything else in conformity to some kind of socially constructed femininity.Not that I have anything against femininity: in fact, when I came across some "cutting" sites, they freaked me out so badly that some of your remarks are *almost* welcome. Among the cutting stories that I have reviewed, punishment, essentially for being female, is easily the dominant theme and "defeminization" is a category all its own in the story archives. It's not cheerful reading.As for your conservative, businesslike haircut and the respect that it gets you ... . well, I'm happy for your sake, but it does depress me that a haircut of all things is the key to being taken seriously.Madelen
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:49pm
I thank you for your historical input. While there may have been some eras when, and some cultures where, shorthaired women were tolerated, I think you will find that the overwhelming majority of the time, women wore long hair.In contemporary society, one's appearance, including hair, does communicate a message, and I rather like the message that women with long hair send. Long hair on a woman is a statement from a woman who cares about her appearance (long hair requires time and expense, and I know that from the hours my wife spends caring for her hair and the hundreds of dollars a year I am contractually obligated to spend for her shampoo, conditioner, and ornaments). It is a statement from a woman who cares about being feminine, and Lord knows, how much this world needs femininity, given all the havoc that we males wreak on it! (Maybe the society of the future will be a matriarchy composed of longhaired women).DAVID, Esquire> I have to contradict the statement about short haired> women being a recent phenomenon. If you had said> something about long hair having been the style for> women throughout most of history, I would have agreed> with you, but. . .> The ancient Egyptians, both genders, shaved their> heads and wore wigs, some of them short-haired.> Spartan women, on their wedding nights, cut their hair> short like boys'.> In the 18th century, both men and women wore wigs,> under which their heads were shaved. In their case,> the wigs were of elaborate styles presumably modelled> on long hair, but when wigs were no longer in vogue,> it took awhile for the hair to grow back out and thus,> in the Regency period, we had some shorter styles like> the Brutus cut, sported by the infamous Lady Caroline> Lamb.> These are isolated examples that come off the top of> my head (and my fellow historians may be groaning now,> as poorly cited as these are), and in any case only> counter the least objectionable part of your> statement. I can't address the rest without climbing> on my feminist high horse, which no one wants to see;> plus I can't improve on what the others have already> said.> Kim
Bill D. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:49pm
Jennifer Eve,Thanks for your response to DJL. I agree with what you said, and also with what Diane and Dave said.It's sad that DLJ has chosen to be so "into" the legal notion of rights that he does not think of his social *responsibilities* towards others, responsibilities that may not be spelled out in writing but which should be apparent to any person with a good heart. You would not want to live in a society where every person did every single action they had a legal right to do. Think about that for a few minutes.People are certainly entitled to their opinions, and I myself have personally felt over the years that many women I have seen would have been more attractive (in my own opinion) with long hair. But I am also mature enough to recognize that other people do not exist for my personal pleasure, that they are entitled to their own preferences, and that if I express my own preferences in an insensitive manner, then I will cause harm to others. (In certain cases, insensitivity may be justified, such as in response to great wrongdoing, but not merely as an indulgence of one's aesthetic preferences.)DLJ, you could say that you prefer long hair on women, or that you find it more attractive. But no, you say that women with short hair are ugly, period. It is apparent that you do not understand people and that you do not understand how to balance your own freedom with the needs of others. That is very sad.
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:49pm
> Dear Diane from Canada:> First, let me say that I think Canada is the next best> country in the world after my own, and that I enjoy> travelling there, particularly in the Summer and> particularly in Vancouver and Victoria, BC. I also> like Toronto, Montreal, and London, Ontario.> Second, my mother was indeed short haired and very> mean to me while I was growing up. My grandmother had> long hair and was very nice to me. I am a sensitive> boy who feels safer with long haired woman.> DAVID, Esquirehello,david. after reading your response to this particular message i can see why you have some of the anger you do.i'm sorry you were mistreated by your mother growing up; however other short haired women are NOT HER!!! though i don't know you personally, it sounds as if you have a hard time not having everything under control and being flexable is a challenge. consider talking to someone on a professional basis; all that anger and other emotions do end up spilling out and harming yourself and others. best of luck in your evolution. p.s. i have long hair because i find it sensual-to please myself.
aaron View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 5:32pm
I think this is bull****, too many people sue for dumbass reasons. A lady got her hair cut and the person cut it too short, big goddamn deal. There are more important things in the world that should be taken into concern rather than worrying about a lady who didnt like her hair cut. Get ur damn minds straight and stop being so close-minded.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 9:01am
Originally posted by aaron aaron wrote:

I think this is bull****, too many people sue for dumbass reasons. A lady got her hair cut and the person cut it too short, big goddamn deal. There are more important things in the world that should be taken into concern rather than worrying about a lady who didnt like her hair cut. Get ur damn minds straight and stop being so close-minded.

OK, so you're an unregistered user who revives a troll thread that's been dead for 5 years in order to write rude comments about women you don't know who have long hair. Your point?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 11:29am
Well said eKatherine!
Carmichael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 10:38am
Does it occur to anyone else that people posting on this thread think way to much of themselves or their own opinionsin this case? So I guess that makes me one of you doesn't it? lol!
Still.......
Susy Q View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susy Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 7:30pm
A long haired woman asks for a 1/2 inch trim of her waist length locks. The scissor happy stylist attempts to bully the woman into a bob cut. The woman offers to leave if the haircut zealot cannot honor her simple request and insists on intending to violate her. She advises that she will defend herself from the attacker if she is violated, but the stylist attempts to attack the woman's hair with scissors. Should the woman simply break fingers or press charges for assault? Is the threat of lethal force really needed or can a simple "NO" be respected by a stylist ? I asked for my ends trimmed and I had to threaten physical harm to the scissor weilder to be respected. I have a black belt and grabbed the man's hand and advised him to cease or I would protect myself. Why can't a woman simply be treated with respect in a salon? He should be thankful my boyfriend wasn't there. He would have broken bones.
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 12:11pm
Hi Hi:

I am so sorry to hear that. We have had many threads on this topic. I just get so mad with hair stylists that think they know so much more then we do, about how to wear our hair.

The opritive word here is - MY HAIR!

The bottom line is. IT's MY HAIR, I can do what I want. I PAY you to cut it or tirm it the way I say. If I want your advise I will ask for it. Other wise, just be quiet, and style my hair. I do not care what you want. Since I am paying the bill. It's what I want that counts.

YES - I can be a real witch at times. I am also proud of that. No one takes advantage of me.

I do not know if you could sue or not. I am sure the stylist would LIE and say you told her 5 inches.
However, I would make sure to tell as many people as you can that this is a very bad place.

Word of mouth gets around fast.

Susan
Susan
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 3:23pm
I don't believe in revenge, but I do believe there should be ways of legally enforcing our rights not to be harmed by businesses. I like my hair, it grows on my head, there are many ways in which I would rather be damaged than to have lots of my hair chopped off. The last post basically said it well. You have a RIGHT to have your hair on your head. The stylist is there to do what you tell them and not damage your hair. If they behave recklessly toward your hair, then you might sue them, not as revenge, but so that a legal precedent would be formed. If stylists know they can't just get away with damaging people's hair, maybe they won't be so arrogant as to fool around with it.
Susy Q View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susy Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 6:35pm
I guess I get angry when someone else wants to control me or make my decisions. I had a really bad experience a few years ago and decided that I will take control up front and not be a victim. A scissor happy stylist robbed me of most of my hard earned length. I was foolish enough to believe they were supposed to be professional. But the definition of a professional is not limited to honorable or exemplary behavior, just getting paid for their work. So that would put them in the class with prostitutes. So lets not put anyone on a pedestal claiming to be a "professional". I will evaluate my situation on wh I can trust. My hair is growing long because it is "MY" choice. When a paid barber / stylist / hairdresser /etc. , claims to be somehow better than me, then tells me I don't know style and that they know better, that I really don't want a 1" trim, that cutting my hair to my shoulders and giving it chunky layers will give it volume, it what I really need irritates me. I don't want my hair sticking out in all directions. I want it long. Well I did walk out the last time, and I kept my hair from the butcher. The ends need a trim, but they can get that later (weeks even months). I had a boyfriend that used to trim my ends for me, but he took a job a few hundred miles away, and while we were really close, we weren't ready to commit. I think that my ends can wait until we get together in the late Spring when he visits his family or until I can find someone else I can trust with the scissors. In any event, I believe the proper course of action is not in the courts which favor the lawyers, not the victim, it is to not let someone take advantage of me first.
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Susy Q Susy Q wrote:

... I was foolish enough to believe they were supposed to be professional. But the definition of a professional is not limited to honorable or exemplary behavior, just getting paid for their work. So that would put them in the class with prostitutes. So lets not put anyone on a pedestal claiming to be a "professional".

Susy, I can really understand your anger about such hairstylists. Other professions have them too.

But to compare all hairdressers to prostitutes is really over the top. Many listen to and respect the wishes of their client. Many don't even mention changing something until asked for advice. Even then I refrain from suggesting something completely different until suggested by the client.

OK - long hair trims are no 'challenge' for hairdressers, we don't see long haired clients regularly (making the need for many of these customers to make a living), there are scissor happy hairdressers (you get the impression there's hardly a decent one in this world if you read the threads). But to put us at such a level, is simply not done. Please focus your anger on those who deserve it instead of lashing out at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic