Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To sue or not to sue...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 8:02am
Going to the stylist for a trim is problematic for a number of reasons, but you need to calm down, Suzy. Getting angry doesn't help. They're not out to get you, you just need to understand where they're coming from so you don't get clipped.

First, many women go to the stylist when they aren't really sure of what they want. They ask for advice, the stylist naturally recommends a drastic change (it's what most people pay them to do, and it's probably what they're best at), and they allow the stylist to work his or her artistry. But afterwards, you're upset with the result, while many other women are satisfied giving the responsibility of choosing their hairstyle to the stylist.

What you need to do is not ask their advice. You may be sending out signals that you are unsure of what you want. They pick up on this, and make suggestions. If you do not respond decisively (perhaps you find stylists intimidating?), they have every reason to assume you do not care or agree with them.

If you aren't sure of what you want, don't go to the salon. Period.

Another problem is stylists trimming off more damaged hair than you intended, either by having a different idea of what "damaged enough to need to be cut off" than yours, or by going ahead and trimming all of the damaged part, though you intended to wait til next time to trim the rest off.

Again, you need to be very sure of what you want done. A ruler is good, show on it exactly how many inches you want taken off. Explain that this is the haircut you want and are willing to pay for. And do this before you sit in the chair.

I think, considering your current mindset, that you would probably be better off trimming your own hair. I do my own, a little bit at a time. It's easy to do, and you can do it when you see the need, as you don't need to make an appointment.

http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Susy Q View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susy Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 5:02pm
I'm not an angry woman, I just expect to be respected. I am a rather petite, quiet person and as a result people try to walk all over me. Whether I am buying a car, furniture, or just getting my ends trimmed, I do not expect to be treated like an idiot or be bullied. Period. If someone in a career field feels insulted, just look at our big (or small) businesses elected leaders, even the so called compassionate UN! Some deserve our respect for making hard, unpopular decisions, and others that would sell our country down the river to the enemy for a few votes, deserve to be thrown out of their jobs. I don't want to start on party politics, I am just stating that I am aware there are sleazy characters out there. They have their own agenda and as a long haired woman, I do not want to let them bully me. BTW Thanks for the link to the self trim. I'll try the split end trimming, but for evening up the ends, I'll wait for a trusted friend. Maybe a guy friend or another long haired woman who understands the need for restraint when it comes to scissors and long hair. In the mean time, I'll just let it keep on growing. It does that very well by itself without interference. If I wear it up, french braided, in buns, etc., You can't tell if the ends needs to be evened. It just looks elegant.
Impaler Vlad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:11am
Such a stylist must be treated like any oher criminal. IMO, the victim has not only the right to sue the stylist, but even to revenge hiself / herself by all means.
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose
snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 8:36am
this is a facinating topic.  As a hairdresser I find it especially interesting.  I myself am not at all offended at what Suzy Q said.  I actually feel awful that you all have had such awful experiances.  I think what really hit it for me was when  someone mentioned bringing a ruler to the salon.  Well you know what, our combs actually have rulers on them, and I'm shocked no one has ever shown you there comb and asked you how much they want off.  When I get a client that comes in for a trim, what I do is I show them an inch on my ruler,a nd tell them that this is an inch and ask if they want that much off.  Sometimes they will hem and haw a bit, and then I ask them if they would only like half and inch off because I can always cut more, but I can't put it back on.  They usually then want the half inch.  I actually cut a little less than half an inch, and after I'm done sometimes they do want a little more off, but if they are very attached to there hair, then they usually are like "Oh this is great."  So I'm shocked that your stylists aren't more careful with you.
As far as the prostitute thing, I knew she was not referring to us as prostitutes, I think what she was saying was, just because one is paid does not mean they are professionals, if so then prosititues or drug dealers(one I added)  would be considered professional.  Also I'm flattered that you are referring to hairdressers as professionals, we are actually not of the professional class we are trade workers, but we certainly should act like professionals. 

The only excuses I can make on your negative experiances behalf would be these.  1.  Hairstylists main fear in the world, is that someone will come in and ask for some horrible style, and we will give it to them, and then they will tell EVERYONE they know who did there hair.  However what is wrong with this thinking, is people with awful taste, there friends know that they have awful taste, so therefore instead of thinking, gee snoopval just butchered my friends hair, they think, wow someone actually made my friend happy.

2. Yes I have to be honest, it is more fun to do drastic changes.  Think of it this way, whatever jobs you have, there are more exciting days than others, if you are into interior decorating, yeah a coat of paint is exciting, but the client who wants you to turn there house into a replica of the set of whatever movie they just watched is much more facinating.  Well sure it is our job to give trims and stuff, but it is a lot more fun to do drastic changes.  However even if it is more fun, you are paying us to do what you want done, and two it's not smart bussiness sense.  If I give you a dramatic change, you won't need to see me for awhile.  If I trim a bit each time, I get to see you ever month.

Well sorry for my long post, I hope that I helped you all at least understand why some stylists do this, and I hope you realize that not all stylists are like this.  Look around, and don't be afraid to spend a bit more, there are good hairdressers out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic