Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boundaries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boundaries
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:47pm
ok... since this is a "politics" forum, i'd like the women's view/opinion/advise on what to do when a man you've never seen comes up to you and fondles your hair. it isn't just the violation of physical boundaries; it's also the hygiene aspect of handwashing after using the facilities. (not trying to raise a stir from the men, but even my brother (who is a man!) says that men are pigs and don't wash their hands after using the restroom... also being in health care i've observed the phenomena....so what do you other people do?
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:47pm
> it's also the hygiene aspect of> handwashing after using the facilities. (not trying to> raise a stir from the men, but even my brother (who is> a man!) says that men are pigs and don't wash their> hands after using the restroom... also being in health> care i've observed the phenomena....so what do you> other people do?Uh...I know you didn't want to cause a stir, but most all the guys I know DO wash their hands after leaving the bathroom. That's as bad as saying all women are dangerously unobservant because they will sit in an open toilet when the seat isn't down.If it makes you feel any better, guys usually try to avoid touching things in the men's room. Anything we can do with our feet (open doors, lift lids, flush, etc.) we will. Why do you think they invented those proximity sensors to flush the toilets and turn the water on and off in public restrooms? Because contact avoidance is key. Thus, if for no other reason than there is always the chance that you brushed up against something disgusting (that didn't belong to you), hand-washing is a priority.When isn't it done? Think super-crowded concert venue, run-down bar, some highway reststops, etc. Essentially, any place where the sink may have also have been annexed as a waste disposal device and/or have become some general cesspool of filth that you don't want to get any part of you body near. That, however, would be the exception.So, back to strange men fondling your hair. That's as much of a violation of personal space as a guy putting a hand on your posterior or the like. However, that wasn't you point, since you were focused on hygene. I think that's the least of your worries in that situation.Then again, the bathroom may have just been out of towels. =)Oink,JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:49pm
> Uh...I know you didn't want to cause a stir, but most> all the guys I know DO wash their hands after leaving> the bathroom. That's as bad as saying all women are> dangerously unobservant because they will sit in an> open toilet when the seat isn't down.> If it makes you feel any better, guys usually try to> avoid touching things in the men's room. Anything we> can do with our feet (open doors, lift lids, flush,> etc.) we will. Why do you think they invented those> proximity sensors to flush the toilets and turn the> water on and off in public restrooms? Because contact> avoidance is key. Thus, if for no other reason than> there is always the chance that you brushed up against> something disgusting (that didn't belong to you),> hand-washing is a priority.> When isn't it done? Think super-crowded concert venue,> run-down bar, some highway reststops, etc.> Essentially, any place where the sink may have also> have been annexed as a waste disposal device and/or> have become some general cesspool of filth that you> don't want to get any part of you body near. That,> however, would be the exception.> So, back to strange men fondling your hair. That's as> much of a violation of personal space as a guy putting> a hand on your posterior or the like. However, that> wasn't you point, since you were focused on hygene. I> think that's the least of your worries in that> situation.> Then again, the bathroom may have just been out of> towels. =)> Oink,> JerkyFleanot trying to offend,jerkyflea...but i do work with men and for most of them telling them they needed to wash their hands was a big surprize! tho i might look to the age of them. mainly,i'm looking for how others have handled this particular situation. oh, loved the signature "oink"; i hope it was meant tounge in cheek. :c)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic