Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

best chain for not catching hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best chain for not catching hair
    Posted: December 26 2003 at 10:23am
I have a real problem with necklaces because they always snag my hair in the back. Please don't suggest expensive necklaces because I always wear 14kt or 18kt necklaces. It isn't how expensive the necklace is, it's the type of chain.

I've found a wheat chain to be about the worst for catching and pulling hair, but I haven't found the best. Can someone please tell me what style of chain is easiest on hair? thnx.
pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2004 at 7:56pm
I'm disappointed to see no replies. Doesn't anyone have any advice? Please? I have a pendant that I really want to wear, but I just can't afford the wear and tear on my hair. Does anyone with long hair wear necklaces?

Help, please!!!
sheduma View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheduma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2004 at 8:17am
well, i don't know where you could get something like this - but i used to have a medic alert on a chain that had no clasp, it was just made long enough to slip over my head. maybe a jeweler could put your pendant on one of these. i had long hair back then and i don't remember it ever catching. hope this helps

-mandi
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2004 at 8:08pm
Hi Pam,

I regret to say that I have no ideas how to help you. In large part because I have no experience wearing necklaces of any sort. I can't help but think that there must be others here (women!) who do wear necklaces. Ladies?

Mandy's idea could work for you. Again, I'm sorry I can't help. I do know a thing or two about long hair, but not about necklaces.
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2004 at 11:21pm
I'm sorry I can't help either, since this never happens to me. My hair is about 4 inches below shoulder length. I don't own any expensive necklaces, just assorted fun jewelery in the $10-20 range. How long is your hair? Is it curly perhaps?
pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2004 at 11:43am
oh well, thanks you guys. My hair is just below my waist but it's very fine and wavy. I just tried a new chain, a snake (all one piece) that is shaped like a box. the damned thing did it to me again. maybe I'll stick to satin scarves, lol!
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2004 at 3:11pm
I hear that snake chains catch the worst. I wear a box chain and it catches sometimes, but you'll have that with most any chain.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
athenazbuddha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athenazbuddha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2004 at 11:52pm
I always have problems with chains catching on my hair too. I really don't think there is a "miracle chain" that doesn't catch hair- your best bet is to either wear your hair up or use a chain that doesn't have a lot of gaps that attract loose strands. Sorry, that's all I know!
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as
if you'll die tomorrow.
Hermione View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermione Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 8:36am
I was a Kay Jewelers manager for a long time, and also have long curly hair.

Box chains are one of the worst for catching hair. Lots of little spaces to get caught in. Herringbones are even worse, and then trying to get your hair out can kink them, and then the chain, and your hair, are ruined.

The best kind of chain would be some sort of chain with individual links. I wear what is commonly called a "gucci" chain, and it very rarely, if ever, catches in my hair. I even sleep with it on. It's called a gucci because the little links are sort of shaped like the Gucci symbol. You should be able to find one in any good retail chain jewelry store, like Kay, Belden, Zales, Littman.

Hope that helps!
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 10:12am
Could you wear your pendant with a black ribbon? I think that looks really classy, kind of old fashioned and romantic, and suits long hair looks very nicely.
WoodElf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoodElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 6:06pm
Hi. :) I wear a pendant that I never take off on a Snake Chain with a lobster claw closure. The chain iteself never catches my hair, but sometimes the lobster claw closure does. I bought a Necklace Snuggler (www.necklacesnuggler.com), and it did work, but I stopped using it because one day I found mold inside it! Apparently it never dried when I showered and I ended up cutting it off...now, I just keep the clasp near the pendant, and I never have a problem.

Chain wise, I'd definitely recommend a snake, but the clasp is a whole different story. I hope someone invents a snag-free clasp one day!
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 7:54pm
My personal experience - and hubby agrees - is any chain that tends to roll is going to snag.

Hubby wears a coin pendant constantly and has had issues with his hair wrapping around the chain. He has used a snake, herringbone, rope, diamond cut rope, etc.

I have went through the same situations with mine. I have since switched to wearing a flat byzantine or an omega chain with no problems. Both have lobster claw clasps.

About a week or so ago, his chain broke and we replaced it with a flat miami curb chain and changed the bail on his pendant so it would fit. He hasn't had any problems since.

Also I recommended not sleeping in your necklaces.
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic