Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some of you AREN'T going to like this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some of you AREN'T going to like this!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
Hi,Well, I thought now was an oppurtune time to write about a certain hairdresser in England who I think may be famous in America, since he styles the hair of many celebrities: Nicky Clark-a stylist from the U.K.I bought a book some months back called "Nicky Clark: Hair Power". It was your basic hair care/hairstyling book, based on the advice by Nicky Clark. In it, he states that (and this is not word for word as I no longer have the book)"Long hair should not be let to grow anywhere past the chest. Hair that is waist-length is freakish". (He definitely said the word "freakish" about waist length hair-I remembered being disgusted about that remark made for a length that I never heard of as referred to like that before).It may interest some of you to know that he's the stylist to Jerry Hall (and Brad Pitt, to name a couple of celebrities). A couple of months ago, there was the thread here on "Politics" (for those of you who are new or don't remember)about Jery hall cutting her hair-guess what? I just saw a picture of her and it's now to the top of her chest. When that thread first came out, I saw the picture and thought it wasn't too much to comment about-the length wasn't that much shorter (from what I saw in that picture-maybe it looked shorter in the actual magazine where the picture came from). So, from what I see now, he might have convinced Jerry that shorter is better. I do think I remember him being an advocate for shorter hair on women over 40-probably convinced Jerry of the same.Obviously, this is a hairstylist who wants people to keep coming back for haircuts-what better way to do that than to propogate ideas like his? It's smart business sense, but definitely (in my opinion)not in the clients best interests.(Please understand, I'm not knocking ALL hairstylists. There are many who respect a clients wish for long hair and like it themselves. I'm only referring to this particular hairstylist, but I'm sure there are others who think like him, at least in part).Here's some other thoughts from Nicky Clark:"Big hair is SO American" (this was in a negative tone)."If you like a hairstyle, don't be afraid to go up and ask that person where they got it styled (It's American, I know, but they get things done)".(Talking about the Oscars on a British morning show in March)"They all like wearing big styles; well, they're(America)a young country, they have to grow up yet".This guy obviously has a problem with America! Actually, from my experience, some British people DO have a problem with Americans, but that's a topic for another board, I guess! "Smile".Well, the man has mutiny aboard his ship, as I just read that one of his team of stylists have walked out on him. She is teaming up with a stylist from Vidal Sassoon, to create their own salon. I have yet to find out their views on hair length!Back to Jerry, though, if that's what she wants, fine, but it really is at an ordinary length. It's still nice hair, but why cut it to the collarbone when nothing seemed wrong with it (no damage or anything)? My opinion is, if your going to cut it, do something entirely different. With this style, it says to me " I'm 40 now so I better make it shorter or I'll look all wrong for my age". If that was the thought process behind the cut, I don't agree at all.(I really have no idea, but since Nicky is her hairdresser, that just might be the reasoning).Holly
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
Just think, I have his hair products! (They are GOOD too!) He'd probably have a fit if he knew that they were being used by someone with waist-length hair. Hee Hee
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
I guess the way I see it that this is his opinion. It certainly doesn't change mine. Unfortunately, other people aren't as resolute as I am when it comes to hair. The biggest problem I see is that Mr. Clark uses snobbery in the form of Anti-American sentiment in a sad attempt to deride long hair. What a strange way to support short hair. Does short hair have so little going for it that this kind of argument is the best that he can come up with? It actually doesn't say anything about hair length at all, but it says a lot about Nicky Clark, to reduce himself to insulting a sizable segment of humanity to defend short hair. It's such a self-defeating attitude. I can't think of a better way to lose a huge chunk of clientele, potential of real.Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
> Just think, I have his hair products! (They are GOOD> too!) He'd probably have a fit if he knew that they> were being used by someone with waist-length hair. Hee> Heegood one, jm!! i have gone to "so-called stylists" who have been sarcastic and rude when i've only asked for a couple of inches off...remarks range from "are you sure you can spare it?" to "just cut it off and start over;it's a young girls style!", etc. my hair is healthy, but going to a salon has become a drag...so i only get a trim every 3-4 years. any other horror stories? hope nicki gets a clue...
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
> Hi,> "Long hair should not be let to grow anywhere past the> chest. Hair that is waist-length is freakish".I would tend to agree. Note that I fully support a person's right to make his/her own decision, but I *do* agree that hair that is past about bra-strap length is kind of weird...I hesitate to use the work "freakish".> This guy obviously has a problem with America!> Actually, from my experience, some British people DO> have a problem with Americans, but that's a topic for> another board, I guess! "Smile".Yeah, since we won our independance from them over 200 years ago there had been a "strained friendship", with a few squabbles and such....> Well, the man has mutiny aboard his ship, as I just> read that one of his team of stylists have walked out> on him. She is teaming up with a stylist from Vidal> Sassoon, to create their own salon. I have yet to find> out their views on hair length!Uhh, you can surely bet that if she is working with a guy from Vidal Sassoon that they will be promoting short, geometric haircuts for women. The geometric style is a Sassoon "trademark look". A large part of a Sassoon stylist's training is the geometric bob length haircut for women.> My opinion is, if your going to cut it, do something> entirely different.I agree. But just don't get *too* carried away with the "different" idea, else that too is kind of weird.Z.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
Hi Zorak,>I would tend to agree. Note that I fully support a> person's right to make his/her own decision, but I> *do* agree that hair that is past about bra-strap> length is kind of weird...I hesitate to use the work> "freakish".Well, I guess it's my turn now to (almost)be called "freakish"-I have hair longer than waist length-definitely hip length hair! If you remember I did use the term "freakish"-but later apologized-for knee-length hair. We all have different tastes, so I don't mind you hesitating that word. "Smile".> Yeah, since we won our independance from them over 200> years ago there had been a "strained> friendship", with a few squabbles and such....Well, it's time to get over it. Especially since we helped them out 50+ years ago. Sorry if that sounds a littleterse, but I've had first hand experience with this sort of prejudice, and it's no fun.> Uhh, you can surely bet that if she is working with a> guy from Vidal Sassoon that they will be promoting> short, geometric haircuts for women. The geometric> style is a Sassoon "trademark look". A large> part of a Sassoon stylist's training is the geometric> bob length haircut for women.Probably-but the guy from the Vidal Sasoon salon is only a colorist-the lady stylist who just broke away from Nicky Clark is the hairstylist. Sorry, I didn't include that before.> I agree. But just don't get *too* carried away with> the "different" idea, else that too is kind> of weird.I agree with that, too-No buzzcuts or maroon hair, please!I just don't like that loook that says (perhaps) "Still long, but shorter because of my age".Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
> I guess the way I see it that this is his opinion. It> certainly doesn't change mine. Unfortunately, other> people aren't as resolute as I am when it comes to> hair.I don't mind if a stylist has a peference-and at least he's warning people about what he prefers-but this "American" attack is strange sounding (to an Americans ears-and also the bit about even waist length hair being strange to him-but everyone has their preference length, I guess).Apparently we are always being talked about among the British. Not all of them, thank goodness (I'm married to one!)but it's like this: When I was in England a couple of months ago, almost every time I was in a pub or restaurant, they were talking about America-whether it was pro or negative, I don't know, but we seem to be the topic of conversation constantly-newspapers and other media, too. Think about it, do we go around discussing Britain constantly? Other than "People" magazine about the Royals, that is. In normal conversations, it doesn't happen. Wonder why we are so facinating, and provoke such interest, and sometimes prejudice? That little incident (Smile) was over 200 years ago!>The biggest problem I see is that Mr. Clark uses> snobbery in the form of Anti-American sentiment in a> sad attempt to deride long hair. What a strange way to> support short hair. Does short hair have so little> going for it that this kind of argument is the best> that he can come up with? It actually doesn't say> anything about hair length at all, but it says a lot> about Nicky Clark, to reduce himself to insulting a> sizable segment of humanity to defend short hair. It's> such a self-defeating attitude. I can't think of a> better way to lose a huge chunk of clientele,> potential of real.You should have seen him on a British morning show the morning after the Oscars-he was making remarks (as I said in the original post here)about the hairstyles of the celebrities (guess he doesn't care about getting business too much from the States) and the "presenters" (as they call them in Britain) of the show were making fun of how Gwyneth Paltrow cried about winning the Oscar. They said how Americans are so like that. It was in a codesending tone. Well, I guess we just "haven't grown up yet"-to quote Nicky! "Smile".I'm just glad my Hubby has all the great qualities of being British and none of the negative quirks!Holly
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
> I would tend to agree. Note that I fully support a> person's right to make his/her own decision, but I> *do* agree that hair that is past about bra-strap> length is kind of weird...I hesitate to use the work> "freakish".>Maybe you would have more pleasure on a web site that has very very short hair styles or no hair. But again it would be boring for you because you wouldn't spice up the board . lol
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
>t Nicky Clark, to reduce himself to insulting a> sizable segment of humanity to defend short hair. It's> such a self-defeating attitude. I can't think of a> better way to lose a huge chunk of clientele,> potential of real.> Jennifer EveYa Jennifer he probably got an F on marketing in University. It come across as someone not to intelligent for sure.
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Some people can't think for themselves and sees these famous stylist as Gods.I guess he is at a stage in life where he feels he has no need to respect others.NOt a very smart business person for sure.>
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
> Well, I guess it's my turn now to (almost)be called> "freakish"-I have hair longer than waist> length-definitely hip length hair! If you remember I> did use the term "freakish"-but later> apologized-for knee-length hair. We all have different> tastes, so I don't mind you hesitating that word.> "Smile".> I just don't like that loook that says (perhaps)> "Still long, but shorter because of my age".> HollyHi, Holly!I hope you don't see yourself as "freakish"! Instead, see yourself as "stunningly beautiful". Your very long hair will get lots of positive attention in public, but you may not always know it. People rarely will say anything positive about your hair, but will admire it the same.(continue to smile) I've not heard the term hip-length before, I'll add it to my list.I don't follow the celebrity curcuit much. They seem as a very vocal minority to me. I ignore them, mostly.I turn the left digit of my age next year. This long hair and age thing has come up more than once. Why must someone change just because the're older? Actually a little non-conformity can be fun!
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> I know of two ladies that are seventy two years old,in my town and both ladies have thick, heavy, gray waist length hair. It looks magnificent and brilliant.The men just love it!!
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> Hi, Holly!> I hope you don't see yourself as "freakish"!> Instead, see yourself as "stunningly> beautiful".Thanks-don't worry, I don't see my hair as "freakish" at all!! "Smile".Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
Great also to see that you and all the other women here are viewing their hair length like me- being confident about their long hair.Holly
Tiffany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
The reason why alot of women cut their hair when they get older is that it makes them look younger and fresher! Some older women look great in longer hair but most don't. A test is to take a picture of your face just below your chin, so you see the face, not the length of the hair. Sometimes people look at the hair and not the face. If the woman looks good with hair just hanging down on the sides of her face, then she can wear long hair. Soft layers around the face help take the emphasis off wrinkles and lines, and long hair just accentuates them and makes you look older.
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> in my town and both ladies have thick, heavy, gray> waist length hair. It looks magnificent and> brilliant.The men just love it!!all right!! i guess it's okay to be old,long and gray!!! i personally am tired of people i know telling me to dye my hair.it's only about a quarter gray and i LIKE IT! if men can be distinguished, why can't women? *smile*
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
I do not agree. All women look better in long hair.DAVID, Esquire> The reason why alot of women cut their hair when they> get older is that it makes them look younger and> fresher! Some older women look great in longer hair> but most don't. A test is to take a picture of your> face just below your chin, so you see the face, not> the length of the hair. Sometimes people look at the> hair and not the face. If the woman looks good with> hair just hanging down on the sides of her face, then> she can wear long hair. Soft layers around the face> help take the emphasis off wrinkles and lines, and> long hair just accentuates them and makes you look> older.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> I do not agree. All women look better in long hair.David, it's blanket statements like this one that lie so rigidly that are easily knocked down. The correct statement is, "I think all women look better in long hair."The aesthetics of hair is not concrete. It's like arguing that blue is a prettier color than green. If you really are a lawyer, you should know better than to present opinion as fact. You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but I hope you are intelligent enough to realize that it's merely your opinion and that others have opinions and are entitled to theirs, as well.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> I will take all gray or all siver hair at any age over50. That thick,heavy,gray waist length hair looks great,on most ladies. One lady in my Square Dance Club,who is 80 years old, looks great with beautiful, brilliant,thick,all gray hair down to her waist.
Mark View Drop Down

> How about saying that ninety five percent of all ladiesin the United States should have long hair,reguardlessof age. I would be happy if it was 95 percent of allladies have long hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic