Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some of you AREN'T going to like this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
Regardless of how it looks, many elderly women are physically incapable of growing their hair very long. Hair thins as we age, and growth slows down. I'm not doubting that some 50 year-old women can have thick gray hair, but I would bet they're definitely not in the majority.It is also a fact that many elderly people have arthritis and other conditions which prevent full mobility, thus it would be a terrible strain on some women to keep up with basic hygiene of their bodies, let alone extremely long hair.You know, I'm quite certain your 80-year-old square-dancing friend must be quite proud of her waist-length thick, gray locks. Perhaps you might entice her to pose for a photograph so we could all admire her beautiful hair! If you don't have a scanner, I do. If you don't have a camera, I'll send you a disposable one, and I'll pay for the processing. ;-)
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
Hi,I can agree with Tiffany that sometimes the better look for a woman is shorter hair, or at least layers around the face. I think this can be true for older women, or even just younger women who would just look better with shorter hair.Think of Joan Lunden-when she went short a few years back, it (to me) made quite a difference-for the better.I also agree with Jena in that for many elderly women, long hair just may not be possible to deal with, due to certain conditions, such as arthritis, in that it limits your mobility.What my problem is with this stylist is that he is saying that at any age, waist length hair on any woman is freakish. To me, this length has been a well-accepted length for women-well, probably for all time! So it was quite a surprise to see a stylist actually state this. Then again, it wasn't, because it's such an obvious (at least to me)way to keep creating business for himself-although why he threw "big" hair into the equation (by this he was talking about volumous styles)as being "So American" I've no idea except that some of them do feel a little superior to Americans, I believe.I just think all of his views on this subject of hair length and big hair are ridiculous. I never gave it a second thought in regards to changing my own hair length-and I hope others who read his book and had longer hair than he prefers didn't buy into his way of thinking.Holly
Kestra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> all right!! i guess it's okay to be old,long and> gray!!! i personally am tired of people i know telling> me to dye my hair.it's only about a quarter gray and i> LIKE IT! if men can be distinguished, why can't women?> *smile*Of course it's okay to be mature and grey. My writing teacher has lovely long, silver hair that suits her perfectly.My opinion is, if the style makes the individual woman happy, then it's the right one for her.Kestra
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> There are a few older ladies that are up to age 80,that are in very good health,and they do like long waistlength hair. A few ladies at age 80, do like long grayhair. A few ladies in my square dance club can giveJena a new revised dose of reality,that they are energetic,and do like long gray hair. Some older ladies do havea good amount of energy.
Kim, the Not-So-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the Not-So-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> Regardless of how it looks, many elderly women are> physically incapable of growing their hair very long.> Hair thins as we age, and growth slows down. I'm not> doubting that some 50 year-old women can have thick> gray hair, but I would bet they're definitely not in> the majority.Jena---You've actually touched on a lot of potential reasons that might make me cut my hair when I get older (heavy emphasis on the "might"). I have always said that I would never cut my hair as I age, unless I became arthritic, and it's too difficult to style (which is an extremely sad thought) or if, unfortunately, I should take after my maternal grandmother, whose hair when she died was down to her waist but extremely thin. She always wore it in a bun, and you could see the bobby pins lying directly on her scalp, which is something I'm pretty squeamish about (I don't know why). If that happened, maybe I'd buy a wig, or sport the traditional old lady perm, which I think people wear to compensate for thinning hair.I hope neither of those things happens, though; I look forward to having long silver hair.Kim
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> Regardless of how it looks, many elderly women are> physically incapable of growing their hair very long.> Hair thins as we age, and growth slows down. I'm not> doubting that some 50 year-old women can have thick> gray hair, but I would bet they're definitely not in> the majority.50??? is old??? Hell that means in 21 years I will be an old crumble granny with no life? lol You kill me Jena sometimes. I am going to contact you in that time and we will race each other around the track and see what is what! lolHell you should see my mother. She is in her 60 and she has very thick hair but it is not long not because she couldn't have it long.Then you should meet my other aunts in the same family and again all of them except one all have very thick hair. One of my aunt has thin hair but again she was in her early thirties and had very thin hair that she wore a wig.My grandmother was 90 years old when she died and she was a long hair goddess lol She had very thick hair and it was white and derriere length.should I go on? What kind of family history do you have with hair to have such an attitude lol ( Diane)> It is also a fact that many elderly people have> arthritis and other conditions which prevent full> mobility, thus it would be a terrible strain on some> women to keep up with basic hygiene of their bodies,> let alone extremely long hair.Good point but I also remember having this 90 years old lady that bought a toolbox in the hardware store where I serve her and I was practically running behind her on the way to her place. Gee what help I was! lolI have many older relative that could easily give us a run for our money short hair or long hair. They are fit. They can but us to shame. Yes I do agree that there are also some that are weak. ( Diane)> You know, I'm quite certain your 80-year-old> square-dancing friend must be quite proud of her> waist-length thick, gray locks. Perhaps you might> entice her to pose for a photograph so we could all> admire her beautiful hair! If you don't have a> scanner, I do. If you don't have a camera, I'll send> you a disposable one, and I'll pay for the processing.> ;-)So you want to start a photo album Jena? lol
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> 50??? is old??? Hell that means in 21 years I will be> an old crumble granny with no life? lol You kill me> Jena sometimes. I am going to contact you in that time> and we will race each other around the track and see> what is what! lol> Hell you should see my mother. She is in her 60 and> she has very thick hair but it is not long not because> she couldn't have it long.> Then you should meet my other aunts in the same family> and again all of them except one all have very thick> hair. One of my aunt has thin hair but again she was> in her early thirties and had very thin hair that she> wore a wig.> My grandmother was 90 years old when she died and she> was a long hair goddess lol She had very thick hair> and it was white and derriere length.> should I go on? What kind of family history do you> have with hair to have such an attitude lol ( Diane)> Good point but I also remember having this 90 years> old lady that bought a toolbox in the hardware store> where I serve her and I was practically running behind> her on the way to her place. Gee what help I was! lol> I have many older relative that could easily give us a> run for our money short hair or long hair. They are> fit. They can but us to shame. Yes I do agree that> there are also some that are weak. ( Diane)> So you want to start a photo album Jena? lol
Chuckles the Clown View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckles the Clown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> I do agree, NOT. All long women better look in hair.> IDVAD, E-squid
Cindy C View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
> I'm 40 now and almost gave in to peer pressure to cut my hair but got a lot of support not to from people at this site. I still haven't touched it and it's getting pretty long now. I'm so glad I maintained my will power. Long hair is easy when you're young, but it gets tricky handling comments and "helpful suggestions" when you get older. I love my hair and I'm so glad I kept it long. The longer it gets, the easier it is not to cut it. There is more invested I guess. This site is a great inspiration.Cindy C (not to be confused with Cindy and Judy)
ROSEMARY View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROSEMARY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
>DAVID AT ESQUIRE, YOU ARE MOST INTELLIGENT MAN ON EARTH.I say to you,to write an amendment to the consitutionand make long hair on ladies a requirement. I will growmy long hair even longer to please you!!!!
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:52pm
Cindy, ME TOO!!! I am 49 and am now growing my hair again. Fortunatly I didn't cut it real short but to just below the shoulders with layers. Geeze what a pain in the butt to grow out! My hair is now 3" longer plus I have had 1 & 1/2" of layers trimmed. It feels SO GOOD to have hair on my shoulders and back again. Why oh why was I so stupid? I am doing everything I can to optimize growth like taking hair vitamins and using really good products. There is just something about long hair that makes me feel so pretty and so attractive. I know what you mean about the nasty comments and "helpful" suggestions. We just have to ignore them. I think those comments come from women who are jealous of our long hair. I know I look like crap in shorter hair so I am committed to growing it longer. This site has been great support for me. A couple of times I have been tempted to just walk into a salon and just get my hair cut short. Something has always stopped me and told me to wait until another day. Then I come here and read all the comments from you who are over 30 and love to have long hair. I always feel better, like I'm not the only one out there who feels this way. I wish there were more women where I live who feel the same way. All my friends have short or medium length hair and they just don't get why I still love it long. I live in a very conservative rural community. But ya know what? I am still that 60's rebel at heart! Right this minute I am conditioning with Artec Moisture Pac and plan to go to a meeting tonight with my lovely shiney, well-conditioned hair flowing over my shoulders. Longhair4ever!
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:53pm
Dear CAROLYNA lot of ladies with long hair,do get pressure from otherladies to cut their hair short. You are correct,in thestatement that other short hair ladies are jealous ofthe beauty that long hair has on a older woman.The most prevelent problem that many husbands inNortheast Nebraska face,is the pressure the long hair wivesget from short hair ladies,at the wives work sites.Many husbands encourage their wives to hold firm,andpreserve their long hair. I have come across severalladies,that were very anxious,to pressure my wife,who hasbeautiful thick waist length hair,to go get a very short haircut. The ladies were very jealous of my wifes longhair. No you can not force any hair style on any lady.But a husband can tell you all of the advantages,thatlong hair has on you. A ladies long hair,should bepercieved as an colorful,brilliant, artistic enhancementfor older ladies over age fifty. Well my wife decidedto keep her long waist length hair,and is happy aboutthat decision. This is a era,where many ladies,with longhair,are facing the most intense pressure at many job sitesto get a short haircut. Some husbands,fold and wrap theirwives long hair,so she can work at a job site,and thenwear it down long for a man to enjoy at night. The Husbandswant the long hair on their wives preserved,and the businesses want a wives long hair cut off short.What decision does the wife with long hair make?Does she go along with husbands wishes of long hair,or the businesses requirement of short hair?
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:53pm
> Cindy, ME TOO!!! I am 49 and am now growing my hair> again. Fortunatly I didn't cut it real short but to> just below the shoulders with layers. Geeze what a> pain in the butt to grow out! My hair is now 3"> longer plus I have had 1 & 1/2" of layers> trimmed. It feels SO GOOD to have hair on my shoulders> and back again. Why oh why was I so stupid? I am doing> everything I can to optimize growth like taking hair> vitamins and using really good products. There is just> something about long hair that makes me feel so pretty> and so attractive. I know what you mean about the> nasty comments and "helpful" suggestions. We> just have to ignore them. I think those comments come> from women who are jealous of our long hair. I know I> look like crap in shorter hair so I am committed to> growing it longer. This site has been great support> for me. A couple of times I have been tempted to just> walk into a salon and just get my hair cut short.> Something has always stopped me and told me to wait> until another day. Then I come here and read all the> comments from you who are over 30 and love to have> long hair. I always feel better, like I'm not the only> one out there who feels this way. I wish there were> more women where I live who feel the same way. All my> friends have short or medium length hair and they just> don't get why I still love it long. I live in a very> conservative rural community. But ya know what? I am> still that 60's rebel at heart! Right this minute I am> conditioning with Artec Moisture Pac and plan to go to> a meeting tonight with my lovely shiney,> well-conditioned hair flowing over my shoulders.> Longhair4ever!Carolyn,Hairstyle is a personal choice. If you like your hair long continue to wear it that way. No ladies or men should encourage long haired people to cut their hair. Why should they wish to be so controlling? We all should appreciate a diversity of hairstyles, just as we appreciate other differences. Good luck with your hair growing!
george View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:53pm
Hi,I'm English and I just want to say that I don't agree at all with Nicky Clarke's comments. I love women with long hair and I don't think you should take any notice of him.It's true a lot of English people think Americans have big hair, but that's probably because we get a lot of American TV and it's behind you by a few years, so the hairstyles appear dated.I think a lot of American women have beautiful long hair, and Nicky Clarke seems to be giving a bad impression of the British by his comments. As someone previously suggested, a lot of hairdressers want you to have short hair because it means you visit them more often and they make more money.Long hair is beautiful. American hair is no less beautiful than British hair.George, London.
george flett
Kim, the Not-So-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the Not-So-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:53pm
I have to concur; 50 is not old. My former dance teacher was in her early fifties, and looked about 36. She also had gorgeous thick curly black hair to her waist. Quite an inspiration for staying active and taking care of ourselves.Kim
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:53pm
Longhair4ever!Dear Cindy & Carolyn,I sit at my table in awe of your determination and willpower! Often, I wonder what the future holds in store for my hair when I grow older as I look into the mirror at 4am. Will, or when will it turn grey? Will it become so thin and brittle that I am afraid to touch it? Also, will I give in to pressure to "act my age" and get one of those styles that Holly mentioned? Will I ever tire of it? After reading these two wonderful messages, I will ask myself a new one: I wonder how much longer it will be when I am 40? Or 50? I wish you two many more great hair days!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:53pm
Mark,Just a couple of weeks ago in an e-mail, you told me you were single.Jena
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
> 50??? is old???No, no, no....I should have written two separate paragraphs. 50 is definitely not "old." Sorry for the confusion!>Hell that means in 21 years I will be> an old crumble granny with no life?You're 29? I didn't know that.>I am going to contact you in that time> and we will race each other around the track and see> what is what! lolI'll warn you: I really am a runner!> Hell you should see my mother. She is in her 60 and> she has very thick hair but it is not long not because> she couldn't have it long.Exactly my point. For whatever reason, some women are incapable of growing their hair long. The longest mine has ever reached is just above the waist, but it would never grow longer.I do not doubt that *some* elderly women have naturally thick hair, but I honestly don't think it's the norm. The vast majority of elderly women I've seen have relatively thin hair. I have very thick hair now, though, and I hope I'm one of the lucky ones who has thick hair later in life!
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
>There was a typhographical error,on the time frame.I was single,but I am now married. I have been married2 months. I will send you an e mail.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
Hey!You wouldn't happen to be THE George, of George Michael (The stylist-not meaning to confuse you with the singer)fame? "Smile".Well, even if you aren't, thanks for the post. I hope I didn't sound like ALL British people are that way. (Like I wrote in another post in this thread, I'm married to a Brit so obviously not all of you feel this way!)Don't worry, Nicky doesn't affect me in the least.American T.V. shows are dated sometimes by the time you get them, but I also think, and I can't blame England for this, that country music stars perpetuate this American image-at least some of the more long-standing stars.(I don't like country music anyway-sorry if that offends some people). It depends really on what Nicky means by "big". There's "volumous" big, like thick hair that everyone likes, and "big" meaning bouffaunt hair and 80's perms. I wish he was a little more descriptive. I will be the first to admit though that we invite some of this on ourselves-I remember being ridiculed a little myself in my hometown back in America for being up-to-date with fashion. The hicks there just went the opposite of Nicky-they frowned on fashion. Well, tough!Sometimes short hair is the best look for a woman-but certainly waist length is not a length to be ridiculed. I had said that I think it's a ploy to get business; since he's based in London maybe he feels the "Non-American-more British" factor is a smart sales tactic.Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic