Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some of you AREN'T going to like this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
If Jeff doesn't pull this post, I'll be amazed...> If I am the only one that stands up with that belief> that Mark should be treated with kindness then let it> be that way. If I believe in him or not is not the> issue. I just don't want to see another gang up.Golly, so no one can call into question the credibility of another poster or oppose his or her opinion because that would be ganging up on them? I'll make a note in my Hair Politics Posting Rule Book. The things you learn...> The only reason I mentioned my stalker situation is to> help other women and I did because a few did respond> to me. I had nothing else to gain only remembring the> whole thing.Then why did you bring it up? You're the one who extrapolated the point of haircut videos encouraging men to stalk and harass long haired women. No where else in that discussion was anything along those lines even broached.> If you Holly would have approached me directly I would> have told you to help you if you need help. Do you> need help?Speaking of not reading posts. I'm not even going to attempt to explain this to you again since I've done it six or seven times and Holly just gave it her best shot. The only harassing stalker-like behavior she has had to deal with was yours. So, why would she ask you for help? (Sorry Holly)> Bacially between you and me I already knew it was you> that emailed Jerkyflea. It didn't much to figure that> one out.Ah, then that would explain the multiple emails I received personally and just as many posts to the board demanding to know wrote me and insulting my integrity for not revealing it to you. Nice sleuthing there, Nancy Drew.Tired of this whole thing and since ignoring you won't make you go away,JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
helen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 9:40am
I would guess Nicky Clark likes shorter styles because you then need to buy more styling products, appliances etc. That has got to be good for his business and other hairdressers with their own range of styling products. He's just looking out for himself and trying to make sure he makes a profit. Its all down to money, just like everything else in this world.
carmichael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2003 at 10:54pm
Long-long hair may not be freakish, but it is hopelessly out of style. Some men pursue those women who dare to to fashion brave the different, most do not. Long hair can be worn out of fear, laziness or commitment and self idealism, in the end it is still seen by the largest section of current fashion as out of style as a shaved female. Until that changes, stick to your convistions and live with all of your delusions. Fashions change and what's old is new again, it's all a matter of the times.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by carmichael carmichael wrote:

Long-long hair may not be freakish, but it is hopelessly out of style. Some men pursue those women who dare to to fashion brave the different, most do not. Long hair can be worn out of fear, laziness or commitment and self idealism, in the end it is still seen by the largest section of current fashion as out of style as a shaved female. Until that changes, stick to your convistions and live with all of your delusions. Fashions change and what's old is new again, it's all a matter of the times.

Could the following be said, then?

Short-short hair may not be freakish, but it is hopelessly out of style. Some men pursue those women who dare to to fashion brave the different, most do not. Short hair can be worn out of fear, laziness or commitment and self idealism, in the end it is still seen by the largest section of current fashion as out of style as a shaved female. Until that changes, stick to your convistions and live with all of your delusions. Fashions change and what's old is new again, it's all a matter of the times.

Seems this thread started nearly 4 years ago.... about a UK stylist named Nicky Clark who states that waist-length hair is freakish. I feel that attitudes such as his are freakish.
carmichael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 9:00am
Yes the same could be said about shaved and short-short hair and the women who wear it. I'll go even further... Short-short hair and long-long hair will probably never be in main-stream style until it becomes cool to blindly copy fashion again. Fashion is social and social attitudes and styles reflect the times they don't set them. One's fashion attitude can only be freakish if it goes against the tide of it's times. Choosing to follow this attitude in ones personal style is to be out-of-fashion. Which is also a statement of ones individuluality. As with most departures from the the norm like these their will be social consequences.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2003 at 4:01pm
I think HIS hair's freakish. All that volume? He looks totally overstyled and out of date. How can long hair be freakish when it grows long naturally? If it grows then it is meant to. Or, does he think that he has a better idea of how humans shuld be designed than God?!
I don't think the man really has a clue.
I trust Trevor Sorbie - he has a special range just for the needs of long hair. It's really good stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 6:59pm
I just took my son to the Orthodontist yesterday. In the waiting room were two single moms with very beautiful, long hair. The room was fairly full and I sat down next to one woman with hair to the top of her jeans pockets. Her hair was overlapping the chair and I said, "Excuse me but you have such beatiful hair, I do not want to sit on it and pull it". Well she lifted her hair off the chair arm and seat and you would have thought she was my long lost best friend. She told me she liked my upfront honesty and consideration for her hair. She told me some people act rude and just tell her to move it or get a haircut. I told her it was far too beatiful to cut short and she told me all of the horror stories she had encountered over the years. The second mom, whose thick red hair reached to just below her elbows chimed in and joined the conversation with her tales as well. The second woman put her hand on my shoulder and the other on my arm as she chatted. Being I had a couple dirty chores to do earlier in the day I took the day off to catch up on tem. Changing oil in my wife's car, the lawn tractor and some other details, I left my ring off and forgot to put it back on. Well I was up front and told the first woman who wanted to give me her number to get together, that I was married. I apologized to her if I may have appeared otherwise. The second lady said it is always the case. I told the fine ladies that if I was ever in the market it is good to know there are such lovely ladies available. I also told them they had stunning hair and do not let any jerk talk them into losing it. So guys, there are some really great ladies out there. Unfortunately for these two fine ladies, there seems to be a shortage of decent single guys to realize it. Why is it when I was single it took so long to find a good woman? Maybe because I had no children and wasn't in the right circles to meet such beautiful single moms. Why is it that really classy ladies marry idiots who get stupid after a couple years of marriage after the children arrive? In any case ladies, realize that you really do look far more attractive with your long hair. Don't feel that you have to cut it off because some idiot tries to talk you into it. I just hope you find a great guy who will realize what a great catch they could have. If you are a classy single woman and are wondering if I am describing you, I probably am. Have a great night.
Carmichael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 9:16am
Look, It's not always the case, but a women with long hair is usually "on the market". You just missed the other social cues of her singleness. As for her reactions to your flirting (yes, you may not have meant it but that's what it was to her) you interpreted that the way that you wanted based on your own personal long hair bias. It actually means nothing and you're reading way to far into this. Compliment a complete stranger on her daring short hairstyle (while not wearing your ring) and you're bound to have a similar conversation, this time about how people are rude about it, some men don't like it, etc, and you're bound to draw a set of different conclusions. It happens to me all of the time. It means nothing in particular about womens hair fashion.
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2003 at 6:41pm
Carmichael, loking back at the situation, I think you are probably right. Women who are single do tend to grow their hair. They try to lose weight, grow their hair out and act like they did when they were single to attract men. What women who was single would present her appearance in such a manner as to turn off a man? Men like slender, friendly, long haired ladies. A trip to the barber, a bad attitude and an excessively fat butt aren't exactly key attractors to catch a single man. I do alot of work on the new vactation house and the current house as well as other athletic activities, and chores with power tools that would be potentially dangerous with a ring on. As a result, I put my ring in the drawer until I am done with the day's chores. Today I thought I broke a couple bones in my hand doing a fall clean up activity. (No, I do not want to give details, I should have known better). I did have it X-rayed, to find out it was just a bad bruise.
As for your observations, I agree I was probably clueless, and coming across as too friendly as my wife often tells me. I am a very gregarious person who enjoys meeting new people and having been married for 15+ years, I do not think about the mating rituals. My wife tells me I am often too friendly. Her secretary tells her I am the cutest thing and I think I am just being nice to her co-workers. I talk with the neighbors, people in stores, at my children's games, etc., while she tends to be very shy. My wife has often told me that women were overtly flirting with me, making her uncomfortable, without me being aware of it. But the plus side for me is that when one of these women on prowl gets too flirtatious, my wife gets very amourous that night. It is her way of telling me that I do not need to look elsewhere, she will be the ONLY lady to met my needs. Maybe next time I'll try by complementing a women with a short haircut, for scientific puposes only. I wouldn't want to encourage an otherwise attractive woman to get an unattractive short haircut thinking she would be more attractive to a man
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2003 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Could the following be said, then?

Short-short hair may not be freakish, but it is hopelessly out of style. Some men pursue those women who dare to to fashion brave the different, most do not. Short hair can be worn out of fear, laziness or commitment and self idealism, in the end it is still seen by the largest section of current fashion as out of style as a shaved female. Until that changes, stick to your convistions and live with all of your delusions. Fashions change and what's old is new again, it's all a matter of the times.

Wonderful turnabout of Carmichael's thinking Dave. The presumption that long haired people are deluded by thinking they are fashionable is an interesting conceit on his part. A long haired friend of mine told me just last week that he has no need to be in style, that is for less creative people. I can not recall the precise wording now but he was quite confident, happy, and not the least "hopelessly out of style" if the reactions of all his admirers were anything to go by.

Longhaired people can be intentionally ignorant of what passes as stylish, others know but do not choose it for themselves, and then there are people like the famous DD who set the style for others. There will always be more than one sought after style in the world at a time. Long hair, just as short-short and even no hair are, is popular and quite the trendy thing somewhere right now and most likely always will be.
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2003 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Carmichael Carmichael wrote:

Look, It's not always the case, but a women with long hair is usually "on the market".

Just how long is the hair we are talking about here Carmichael? When it takes some time to grow that hair it sounds like quite a lot of time for a woman to be unattached if between relationships especially when there can be a factor of cutting shorter when a relationship ends. If your theory is supportable at all, and this seems doubtful, it would be more likely an age issue than anything else. The trend is for women to go shorter as they age, just as it is more likely for a younger woman to be single than an older one.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2003 at 11:08pm
I can honestly say I see maybe five or ten percent of women who can successfully pull off long hair, and that would be the women whose hair is naturally very thick and in such excellent health that it's even thick towards the ends (those scraggly, thin ends most women get are really disgusting!). And since long hair is so heavy, it just pulls itself out flat, where shorter hair looks fuller and bouncier, so honestly I'd say even the women whose hair can be long and still look healthy would look better with short hair. Not to mention it wouldn't hide her face so much, so you could actually see if her face were beautiful, rather than seeing nothing but a "Cousin Itt"-like mass of hair. Beautiful women should have no need to hide behind their hair like that. *laughs* What about if I say all the ugly women should have long hair, then, and short hair for all the women with beautiful faces we'd actually want to see?
(A ridiculous joke of an answer in response to a whole ridiculous joke of a thread, actually. . .)
More awesome than a manatee!
Bill W. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 2:00pm
Kuroneko, you sound like one of the short hair extremists. 5-10% of women can pull off long hair? Where are you from? I would say about 99% of women look better with their hair long. Less than 1% of women look just "good" with short hair, and they would look beautiful with it long. Assuming it is well groomed. If I see a women with straggly ends or dirty hair, I understand that a good shampoo and conditioning or a few snips AT THE ENDS, is all that is necessary to look good or even beatiful. As a man who admires long hair on a woman, I would agree that some women go too long between having their ends trimmed. But if they have to wait to have a friend or stylist they can trust do it, it is better to wait than let some scissor happy pervert ruin their hair. Most short haircuts, especially the current styles, look like an animal chewed on their heads. It is so sad that there are characters that talk women into doing such a terrible thing to their hair, and tell them they look good. They are probably one of the following; making money off the high maintenance of cutting the women's hair very frequently, an unattractive woman who is jealous of her more attractive sisters, a guy who hates women or a loser of a guy who cannot get a date. In the last case, it is sour grapes. You cannot have an attractive woman, so you do not want anyone else to have an attractive woman either. So you want to screw up her looks. How pathetic of you!
If a poor woman is foolish enough to listen to you talk her into losing her crowning glory, my sympathies. Unfortunately it takes years to grow it out from such a foolish mistake.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 4:27pm
Kuroneko, I noticed that you have a slight fringe in your photograph. Surely, when I pull my hair up into a high ponytail, and then twist it into a bun on top of my head, I have more face, ear and nape on show?

I don't agree with everything you say, but it is refreshing to see someone on this site who is capable of seeing when a thread has gone a little too far, and started to turn into a joke.

Might I also add that I have long-long hair by most standards (wrist length) which is full to the ends (plaits stay at a constant thickness, despite slight layers), glossy (at times you can see recognisable reflections down the length of it) and far from flat, lifeless or dull.

My hair is long because I want it to be, and will never be short because fashion dictates it should be. That is not to say that everyone with short hair is a fashion sheep, or that some people don't look nice with short hair, I'm just saying that it is possible to have luscious long locks that don't look icky.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Bill W Bill W wrote:

Men like slender, friendly, long haired ladies.

I'd kindly like to disagree, because this statement is far too general. Most cultures prefer women with healthy curves in the right places. Hair preferences vary from culture to culture, as well as person to person.
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I can honestly say I see maybe five or ten percent of women who can successfully pull off long hair, and that would be the women whose hair is naturally very thick and in such excellent health that it's even thick towards the ends (those scraggly, thin ends most women get are really disgusting!).

Now is this an honest *truth* or honest *opinion*?

I am betting those women are not too concerned that they do not look attractive to you, not when thay have so many admirers out there, or perhaps a favored one in particular. Long haired women will never lack for suitors.

The most important thing about a person's hair is how it makes them feel. Others are free to disagree with how someone else "should" look yet it takes nothing away from the validity of the hair wearers opinion. The person that thinks they look good does look good whatever their hair looks like. Confidence will always be attractive.
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Bill W. Bill W. wrote:

If I see a women with straggly ends or dirty hair, I understand that a good shampoo and conditioning or a few snips AT THE ENDS, is all that is necessary to look good or even beatiful. As a man who admires long hair on a woman, I would agree that some women go too long between having their ends trimmed.

There seem to be a lot of limiting shouldn't and shoulds floating about out there that people buy into. It is a shame to miss out on seeing the beauty already all around. Just as all women are not out to look good to the short hair admirers, know that meeting Bill W.'s standards of trimmed beauty are never given priority, or likely any thought at all, by a large segment of the population.

Be cautious, when a person seeks to improve others to their liking, they open themselves up to the same critical eye of their beholders. I suspect there is a great deal of alterations people would seek to make in order to "fix" any of us to their specific liking. Tact usually prevents these free comments quite handily.
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 8:41am
Gormlaith, I am not trying to establish the standards for long hair women. I would want to determine how often a women should trim her ends, wash her hair or whay conditioner to use.
My reply to Kuroneko, was that chopping off all a women's hair is not going to make her more attractive. My reply was that the things that detract from long hair looking its' best are not drastic measures. I personally admire long hair on women, When it is clean, shiny and neatly trimmed at the ends, I often want to just stop and take a good long look to savor the beauty of a lady's crowning beauty. I will often compliment her on her well kept locks. But as you mention, beauty is only skin deep.
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Bill W Bill W wrote:

Gormlaith, I am not trying to establish the standards for long hair women. I would want to determine how often a women should trim her ends, wash her hair or whay conditioner to use.

But as you mention, beauty is only skin deep.

Interesting, so your non-standards for beauty are trimming, washing, and conditioner use. These are still optional things, some more so than others. Just how would these needs be determined anyway? Based on her desires for her hair or your own opinions on what hair "should" look like?

Additionally, I don't even know that I believe beauty is only skin deep. The hair that looks ragged to you can look stunning to another, no need to include internal factors to mitigate the hair's appearance. Uncut hair can be so very beautiful, trupming a fresh cut to my eyes. Neither of us is wrong, these are just opinions about what we like but to present them as what others should live by is conceit.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2003 at 9:26pm

... hair is naturally very thick and in such excellent health that it's even thick towards the ends (those scraggly, thin ends most women get are really disgusting!).

So being a man, it's a darn good thing that I have scraggly thin ends.

And since long hair is so heavy, it just pulls itself out flat

What about those of us who have straight hair? My hair is straight no matter what its length.

How would you know that long hair is heavy, Kuroneko? Have you ever had long hair?

My hair is not heavy, and it's yards long. I think the whole "heavy hair" criticism is a myth designed to encourage conversion to short hair.

where shorter hair looks fuller and bouncier
Not in my case, but maybe that's because I'm a man and not a woman...?

so honestly I'd say even the women whose hair can be long and still look healthy would look better with short hair.

A reflection of your preference for short hair.

Not to mention it wouldn't hide her face so much, so you could actually see if her face were beautiful, rather than seeing nothing but a "Cousin Itt"-like mass of hair. Beautiful women should have no need to hide behind their hair like that.

I was going to comment like enfys has but she beat me to the punch.

The woman who has long hair has versatility! She can wear her hair up, exposing her entire face, ears and neck... or, she can let her hair down (and hide the ears, and most of the neck... creating a sense of intrigue among men who love it long. Never underestimate the value and power of intrigue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic