Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Styles on older women - man's perspective

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Styles on older women - man's perspective
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
Hi,There seem to be a lot of women who love wearing long hair on this board, and that's great cos I love long hair. One thing that annoys me though, is that older women who have longer hair, seem to go for the more formal hairstyles, such as having it in a french braid etc. Whilst I think this looks very elegant, I find women sexier who wear their hair loose or tied back in a simple pony tail.I especially like women who wear their hair in a pony tail with a scrunchie, which looks very feminine and sexy, but sadly a lot of older women don't seem to like this style.I'd just like to point out that women can still look elegant and business like with this style and with their hair loose at all ages.I'd like to see what you think of this.
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
... the "Dave" who posted this message was not me (Dave Decker). My posts always contain my e-mail address. Just wanted to clarify in case anybody was wondering.Otherwise, quietly lurking,Dave
David M Squires
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
> I especially like women who wear their hair in a pony> tail with a scrunchie, which looks very feminine and> sexy, but sadly a lot of older women don't seem to> like this style.Would you kindly direct us to a website or post pictures of an older woman in a scrunchie who looks professional?Thanks!Jena
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
> Hi,> There seem to be a lot of women who love wearing long> hair on this board, and that's great cos I love long> hair. One thing that annoys me though, is that older> women who have longer hair, seem to go for the more> formal hairstyles, such as having it in a french braid> etc. Whilst I think this looks very elegant, I find> women sexier who wear their hair loose or tied back in> a simple pony tail.> I especially like women who wear their hair in a pony> tail with a scrunchie, which looks very feminine and> sexy, but sadly a lot of older women don't seem to> like this style.> I'd just like to point out that women can still look> elegant and business like with this style and with> their hair loose at all ages.> I'd like to see what you think of this.hi, dave. i work in health care so it's only logical i wear it up (not to mention required!), long hair gets hot on your back especially when it's muggy.. also when you wear it down there have been more than a few instances when total strangers come up and fondle your hair!! not a good thing at all!! and when it's windy there is tangles galore. so i wear it in a twist or braid when i'm in the real world...hope that helps.
Carolyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
HI, Dave, I work with an older woman who has the most incredible long silver hair. Nobody knew just how long it is until we had an office picnic and she showed up with her hair cascading down her back. But, she really is a professional woman with a career that demands she present a truly professional and polished image at work, and the loose look just doesn't cut it at the office.Hi,> There seem to be a lot of women who love wearing long> hair on this board, and that's great cos I love long> hair. One thing that annoys me though, is that older> women who have longer hair, seem to go for the more> formal hairstyles, such as having it in a french braid> etc. Whilst I think this looks very elegant, I find> women sexier who wear their hair loose or tied back in> a simple pony tail.> I especially like women who wear their hair in a pony> tail with a scrunchie, which looks very feminine and> sexy, but sadly a lot of older women don't seem to> like this style.> I'd just like to point out that women can still look> elegant and business like with this style and with> their hair loose at all ages.> I'd like to see what you think of this.
Carolyn M. Bender
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
Well, I'm not exactly an "older woman," but I can say that wearing our long hair down in a work environment actually puts our hair perpetually at risk. It catches in doors, drawers, machinery, chair arms, even chair casters! Why just today, I wore my hair down and bent over to run a document through the shredder. Suddenly, I envisioned my hair caught in that item. NOT a pleasant thought, let me tell you. I shuddered as I literally retreated back from it. Heretofore, I've also imagined catching my hair in the fax machine and the photocopier, in its automatic format. Let's not even think about the blueprint machine. Owww!See, wearing our hair down all the time just isn't practical, certainly slowing me down, because I'm constantly aware of the potential for all the above, so I move carefully. You wanna step in and cover for me? Do your job, plus some of mine, just so I can wear my hair down and tend to it, so office aesthetics are improved? I doubt it, so up/back it goes.Hope this helps,Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Cindy C View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
Hi Dave, I have seen some older women in scrunchies who look sporty and casual, however on many the look is very unsophisticated. I have seen older women with big bows on top of their heads. If I ever do that I hope someone will shoot me. No one wants to look rediculous. So very often you will see us in french braids and twists. I love the fact that my hair is still long, but I also want to look appropriate and hopefully somewhat elegant at work. When my husband and I dine out I will often wear it down. Long hair looks beautiful by candlelight! Cindy
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
> Would you kindly direct us to a website or post> pictures of an older woman in a scrunchie who looks> professional?> Thanks!> JenaThis sounds like you reallly don't believe that an older woman can look professional wearing a scrunchie.This make me wonder where have you been visiting all these years. Look around , they are around. We see them in school etc.Sorry Jena to me it is really starting to show that you have this thing about older woman with long hair. Maybe I am wrong and yes you do have the rights to be against older women with long hair.I am sorry if this looks like I am picking on you but it is starting to really get me all this.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> Hi Dave, I have seen some older women in scrunchies> who look sporty and casual, however on many the look> is very unsophisticated.One thing that we don't want to admit is that we really do need to wear our hair in the way that best compliments our faces. Even the same look on the same person can be very different at age 18 than it will be at age 48.>I have seen older women with> big bows on top of their heads. If I ever do that I> hope someone will shoot me.Tell you what: I'll shoot you if you shoot me! {grin} I have to say -- that is the most ridiculous look I've ever seen. I have no idea why they're even made. The only people on whom the look is acceptable is very young children. But the problem is, some of those bows are so huge, they overwhelm a little girl's face! So, I'm honestly not sure who would look good in them.>I love the fact that my hair is> still long, but I also want to look appropriate and> hopefully somewhat elegant at work.Long, loose hair just honestly is not an appropriate look for the office. A long, black evening gown is extremely attractive yet not appropriate for traditional lines of work. Lady Godiva gave some excellent practical reasons why long hair should not be worn loosely at work, as well.>When my husband> and I dine out I will often wear it down. Long hair> looks beautiful by candlelight!I think that is one of the greatest advantages of long hair -- it can be worn in ways appropriate for all situations! It can be professional, sporty, practical, hip, elegant, and sexy!Jena
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> This sounds like you reallly don't believe that an> older woman can look professional wearing a scrunchie.I'll be honest, I don't personally think of a scrunchie when I think of a professional look, no matter what the age. I agree with one of the posts above that said a polished look is really what is needed at the office. And in my personal opinion, loose long hair, whether a 20-year-old or a 60-year-old woman wears it, is not a professional look. That doesn't mean she has to cut it! But obviously there are many ways to secure the hair for a professional look. Although hair can and should look attractive and pretty at work, it should not be done to the extreme that it detracts from her professionalism. Focus should be on the "look" in general rather than just the hair.> Sorry Jena to me it is really starting to show that> you have this thing about older woman with long hair.I don't care to see long hair on a woman of any age who doesn't take care of it and wears it in a fashion that does not best compliment her. Sometimes the length takes more precedence over the style, and often that is to the detriment of the woman's best interests. Several years ago, I wore my hair in all one length. One time a stylist suggested that he cut just a little bit around the front, to softly frame the face. I did not take to the suggestion kindly and just assumed he was being scissor-happy. Later, another stylist whom I trusted suggested the same thing. I bit the bullet and let him cut just a very few layers around the face. I was astonished! It looked fantastic on me! I was so concerned about the "length" that I neglected the style.Jena
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
Dave,Just who are you saying is old? Moi? Old? Nope not me! ha ha! Young man, I think you had better think before labeling a woman as OLD. Just watch it boy or maybe some of us "oldies" might have to show you what "older" women look like! Honestly, Dave I am mostly laughing as I write this. But just watch it when you throw that word around. I am turning 50 next year along with the millenium and so maybe it's scaring the hell out of me.If you classify me as one of those "older" women, I can tell you that I love my hair long. No I don't wear those bows. I know a woman of at least 70 who does. While I think her hair is pretty, I think her big bows look ridiculous. I often wear pony tails with scrunchies. I have a HUGE collection of them. I hardly ever have to dress what most of you would call professional, but if I do, I wear a french twist or some kind of bun. I often wear a ponytail with a black velvet scrunchie and I think that looks dressier and kind of elegant. I am blonde and often wear black so I like that look. I think the fabric of a scrunchie makes a difference. Little prints and flannels are more sporty and casual but I think the velvets and satins and crepe ones are dressier. Also I think jewelry and make up make a difference in the whole look. I almost always wear a stud earring in my second piercing and a hoop in the first. I always try for a nicely made up look.NOT an oldie at 49!Carolyn B
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
Hello everyone!Firstly... I am not calling anyone old - at 55 myself I am hardly young!! :)Secondly... thanks for making such an interesting discussion of my topic, andThirdly... I am not telling you how to wear your hair, I was just giving an opinion as to what I find attractive.I think it's great that so many ladies of around my age like keeping their hair long and well kept!Also, I see your point about the shredding machine. Ouch!
David M Squires
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
Carolyn,I, too, have a collection of these scrunchies. I don't like those thin, elastic hairbands because some hair is always lost when taking them out. I have dark hair, so I go for the brighter colors. I've been known to wear two scrunchies with my ponytail, with the second worn around the waist.You're only as old as you feel. Judging by the excitement in your messages, you are very young at heart. I'm so glad you quit lurking and joined in with us. When I started posting messages,it was Diane that made me feel welcome.I hope you feel welcome here.Have a great hair day!
Cindy C View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
Hi Carolyn, I just wanted to say my husband turns 50 during this millinium year also and he still subscribes to Rolling Stone Magazine and drags me to concerts of all kinds. I had to draw the line at Woodstock however. I just can't sleep out in the rain and hang around in mosh pits anymore. I'm 10 years younger than he is and I can't keep up with him. So I guess old and young come in many ages. In the meantime, we'll just keep growing our hair! Cindy
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> I'll be honest, I don't personally think of a> scrunchie when I think of a professional look, no> matter what the age. I agree with one of the posts> above that said a polished look is really what is> needed at the office. And in my personal opinion,> loose long hair, whether a 20-year-old or a> 60-year-old woman wears it, is not a professional> look.That is your opinion Jena and that is fine but I have been in the professional field for a long time now and there is nothing wrong with loose hair . Also to be honest I can tell you really don't care for long hair and that is why you cut it in the first place. ( Diane)There is no rules that says that a professional look means that one can't wear their hair long. ( Diane)> I don't care to see long hair on a woman of any age> who doesn't take care of it and wears it in a fashion> that does not best compliment her. Sometimes the> length takes more precedence over the style, and often> that is to the detriment of the woman's best> interests.You see that is what I mean. If you really listen to yourselve you are a short hair lady in the heart. All this is really your opinion on how a person should look. ( Diane)
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
>> You're only as old as you feel. Judging by the> excitement in your messages, you are very young at> heart. I'm so glad you quit lurking and joined in with> us. When I started posting messages,it was Diane that> made me feel welcome.> I hope you feel welcome here.> Have a great hair day!It is a nice feeling to think I did something positive. Thanks for sharing that. (Diane)
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> Dave,> Just who are you saying is old? Moi? Old? Nope not me!> ha ha! Young man, I think you had better think before> labeling a woman as OLD. Just watch it boy or maybe> some of us "oldies" might have to show you> what "older" women look like! Honestly, Dave> I am mostly laughing as I write this. But just watch> it when you throw that word around. I am turning 50> next year along with the millenium and so maybe it's> scaring the hell out of me.> If you classify me as one of those "older"> women, I can tell you that I love my hair long. No I> don't wear those bows. I know a woman of at least 70> who does. While I think her hair is pretty, I think> her big bows look ridiculous. I often wear pony tails> with scrunchies. I have a HUGE collection of them. I> hardly ever have to dress what most of you would call> professional, but if I do, I wear a french twist or> some kind of bun. I often wear a ponytail with a black> velvet scrunchie and I think that looks dressier and> kind of elegant. I am blonde and often wear black so I> like that look. I think the fabric of a scrunchie> makes a difference. Little prints and flannels are> more sporty and casual but I think the velvets and> satins and crepe ones are dressier. Also I think> jewelry and make up make a difference in the whole> look. I almost always wear a stud earring in my second> piercing and a hoop in the first. I always try for a> nicely made up look.> NOT an oldie at 49!> Carolyn BCarolyn, just because there is a little snow on the rooftop, doesn't mean there is no fire in the chimney, eh? You seem like one spunky lady.
Roxanne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
>Jena,does not speak for all ladies,but expresses negativethoughts,to other women,who have ideas different than hers.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> This sounds like you reallly don't believe that an> older woman can look professional wearing a scrunchie.I agree with Jena-it doesn't!> This make me wonder where have you been visiting all> these years. Look around , they are around. We see> them in school etc.She didn't say they weren't around to be seen!> Sorry Jena to me it is really starting to show that> you have this thing about older woman with long hair.I don't see this at all. She's talking about a "professional look"-not age. She made it clear that age has nothing to do with it. I also totally agree with her and Cindy about the bows. I have thought this for a long time-that bows do not belong in a grown woman's-even a teenager's-hair. Neither do little barrettes that belong on children (whoever thought that fashion trend up ought to be ashamed of themselves).The only part I'm not sure I agree with Jena about is wearing long hair loose at the office-I think it depends. I see where Jena's coming from, though. I sure agree with Cindy and Jena, though,about the bows. If I start wearing those bows, please also put me in line to be shot!> Maybe I am wrong and yes you do have the rights to be> against older women with long hair.> I am sorry if this looks like I am picking on you but> it is starting to really get me all this.Sounds like she hit a nerve-do you wear these ornaments?Please see my post to you and "Roxanne" together on the thread I started about Nicky Clarke called "Some of you aren't going to like this".Holly
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
Hi Dave and everyone else!Dave, I hope you didn't think I was yelling at you. I was just trying to tease you for your use of the word OLD and gently chiding you for it. You betcha I'm kind of freaking at the thought of being a half century old. I remember my 25th birthday, my younger brother went around all day just saying "quarter of a century! " LOL!And by the way, there is no snow on this mountain! I pay big bucks to have my one gray streak go back to blonde. I am not ready for the granny look yet. By that I mean the frizzy short little permed hair that my mother-in-law and all her bridge buddies sport.Thanks for the welcome guys! This is a fun place to come. I also go to a soap message board and they really get scrappy there!Carolyn B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic