Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

nephew's hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nephew's hair
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
My nephew has recently come to live with me. He is twelve years old and has a ponytail! I would desperately like to cut it off as I don't believe boys (or men for that matter) should have long hair. But I'm frightened that if I do make him have it cut he will hate me for it as he is very attaced to it. What should I do?
~~~~Jenny~~~~~
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
> My nephew has recently come to live with me. He is> twelve years old and has a ponytail! I would> desperately like to cut it off as I don't believe boys> (or men for that matter) should have long hair. But> I'm frightened that if I do make him have it cut he> will hate me for it as he is very attaced to it. What> should I do?Hello Jenny,I have several questions for you. (1) Are you now his legal guardian, and if so is it on a permanent basis, or is his residence with you only temporary? (2) How responsible/mature is he for a 12-year old boy? If he is a good student, well-behaved, etc, then he would seem to be fairly well-adjusted, and if so, why rock the boat by imposing your will onto him? If he isn't such a model student or person, then perhaps you may want to set some reasonably achievable goals for improvement in his grades and/or behavior, and tell him that he has to earn the right to wear his hair the way he wants by working toward and then meeting these goals (presuming, of course, that you are his permanent legal guardian).Final question for you, related to your belief that boys/men should not wear long hair... by the same token then do you believe that women should not wear short hair? Or do you feel that it is okay for girls/women to wear either long or short hair, but only okay for boys/men to wear short hair, and if so, why the inconsistent standard?Dave
David M Squires
Jenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
Hello DaveYes, I am his legal guardian and no, I don't think women should have long hair. I have long hair, I always have, and I don't intend to cut it. Having said that. I would not attempt to impose my will on an adult or a child who was not under my guardianship. However, my nephew, how he behaves and how he is percieved by others is my responcibilty.
~~~~Jenny~~~~~
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
Hi Jenny,> I don't think women should have long hair. I have long> hair, I always have, and I don't intend to cut it.I know this is off the point of your original inquiry, but I can't help but wonder how you resolve the contradiction within these two sentences.Given your e-mail address, I wonder, are you a professional hairstylist?> However, my nephew, how he behaves and how he is> percieved by others is my responcibilty.Although you are responsible for his upbringing, you have more control over how he behaves than with how others perceive him. I think how others perceive him will be based far more upon his behavior (his actions) than in his appearance. These days, teenage boys who choose their appearance to maximize shock value typically do stuff that's far more unusual than wearing their hair long.For what it's worth, for several years in my early teens I had long hair, and from what I could tell, I think I was perceived as a fine young man by adults because I was a good student and I was polite, well-behaved and well-mannered.I hope this helps.Dave
David M Squires
Brian Bosco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Bosco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
Even though you are your nephew's legal guardian,there aresome things that are *his*, especially his long hair, ifthat's what he wants. It grows out of him. If he is growingout his hair for any other reason than that he enjoys itfor its own sake - eg., as a sign of rebellion, or givesrise to actual bad behaviour, - cutting his hair may be alegitimate means to bring him into line. If he is behavingwell, then he already has a reasonable level of humility.Cutting his hair in such a case, to standard short male styles may well result in the very rebellion that youwould hope would never come about.If antagonism develops between you and your nephew overhis long hair, you may wish to relinquish your role aslegal guardian for the sake of both of you, and arrangefor his placement in an environment which tolerates hislong hair as his as much amy other part of his body is his.Brian********************************************> Hello Dave> Yes, I am his legal guardian and no, I don't think> women should have long hair. I have long hair, I> always have, and I don't intend to cut it. Having said> that. I would not attempt to impose my will on an> adult or a child who was not under my guardianship.> However, my nephew, how he behaves and how he is> percieved by others is my responcibilty.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
Aesthetically, I very much agree with you. However, there are two issues. One is that obviously something has happened to his traditional family (divorce, abuse, death, or something like that) that created the circumstance of him living with you. So, he has a lot more going on than a child who wasn't dealing with those circumstances. His stability has been uprooted.Also, he's just heading for adolescence -- a time of mass confusion. He's desperately trying to find out who "he" is. Also, maybe his ponytail is his security at this point.You're most likely going to encounter a lot of battles during the next few years. I'd make them be over important issues -- drugs, jobs, responsibilities. However, there are some things upon which you should insist with his hair -- 1) it should be clean 2) it should be relatively neat (no rat's nest!). And although a ponytail is extremely passe' for a guy, it's better than purple spikes!Whether or not either of you realizes it, it's most likely a tough transition living with a new adult "in charge." He needs structure and discipline but not any rules that aren't absolutely necessary. I'd bite your tongue on this one. As long as it's your major "problem" with him, I'd consider yourself mighty lucky. Also, if he senses that you don't like it, he may be holding onto it for rebellion (which is not only natural but actually good for him) and security. I'd say just go with the flow.And my very best for you and your nephew. :-)Jena
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
> From MarkThere has been a lot of discussion about locks of love.In my state,there has been an increase in synthetic hairwigs,which are replacing many human hair wigs. Synthetichair wigs are better than human hair wigs. Ladies that are bald in my area,are wearing Synthetic Hair Wigs. The ladies in my area DO NOT LIKE human hair wigs,because human hairwigs dry out. There are plenty of synthetic hair wigs,to go around,for all the ladies,that have hair loss.Synthetic wigs cost less money. There IS NOT any needfor any lady to cut off her locks,because many ladiesare wearing Synthetic Hair Wigs.
Hazel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
> My nephew has recently come to live with me. He is> twelve years old and has a ponytail! I would> desperately like to cut it off as I don't believe boys> (or men for that matter) should have long hair. But> I'm frightened that if I do make him have it cut he> will hate me for it as he is very attaced to it. What> should I do?Is it really neccessary to make him hate you because you want to force upon him your personal beliefs? If he's a generally nice person and good student, and his hair doesn't look like a rat's nest, there shouldn't be a reason to change it.
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
Since we are on the subject, what, excatly, do you think is wrong with a boy or a man deciding to wear his hair long?> My nephew has recently come to live with me. He is> twelve years old and has a ponytail! I would> desperately like to cut it off as I don't believe boys> (or men for that matter) should have long hair. But> I'm frightened that if I do make him have it cut he> will hate me for it as he is very attaced to it. What> should I do?
rainer View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
This could really cause hate. It's your personal taste that you don't like it, but he is too old to get prescriptions in this things. It's always a mistake to expect from children that they shall look like their parents (or aunts) like it. They have their own head.
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, Jena, except for the following:> And although a ponytail is extremely passe' for a guy,> it's better than purple spikes!Who cares what is supposedly "passe"? Are we slaves to fashion's whimsical dictates? Doesn't the person who consciously chooses to be different reveal more independence and individuality than others who cowtow to the likes of magazine ads? The way I see it is this: the one who resists the fad-of-the-week hairstyle reveals an inner core of self confidence that can't easily be taken away. This tells me this boy is actually set on more solid ground than most boys. It takes guts to be different.Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
Mark,Thank you for such a brilliant post! Perhaps Jenny can buy her nephew a synthetic wig to wear whenever he's in her presence, and he can still keep his ponytail....by golly, I think we're hit upon the best suggestion yet! {grin}Jena
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
> My nephew has recently come to live with me. He is> twelve years old and has a ponytail! I would> desperately like to cut it off as I don't believe boys> (or men for that matter) should have long hair. But> I'm frightened that if I do make him have it cut he> will hate me for it as he is very attaced to it. What> should I do?Jenny,Hairstyle is a personal choice. We should learn to become more tolerant to differences. We are becoming increasingly a global economy, and global community. We must accept diversity as a part of living in our increasingly diverse surroundings.However, young people's liberties are often diminished as parents and guardians decide many issues for them. Parents often decide not to allow their children to run around with children who influence them negatively, who are involved in the drug culture, or even criminal activities. We do this because it is the best thing for our children.Examine yourself. Do you believe men should not have long hair because of your upbringing, your cultural values? Do you see his long hair as a counter-cultural phenomena? Are you attempting to force your values and beliefs upon another? Or, do you see him as being ridiculed in school, others not accepting his counter--cultural values, and this causing him diffculty among the crowd he should be associating with?Would we give our child a poisonous serpent because he wanted it? Would we allow our child to use marijuana because all the other children are doing it? We do what is best for our children. Any decision made with the child's welfare being preeminient will be the best decision.Conformity is a lesson of childhood. We conform to the culture in which we are raised. Although this culture allows room for individual differences, we still learn that some behaviors are outside the acceptance of mainstream beliefs. Our failure to learn conformity will make future growing in maturity more difficult. Although many nonconformists have contributed greatly to the world, there are many who are the outcasts, misfits, and homeless people of the world.All that to say this, teach your nephew the need for conformity. Let him know that we all operate within boundaries. Through sensible (hopefully) discussion and rationale, jointly decide on acceptable boundaries for his hairstyle.Good luck for parenting is an art, not science.Cordially,Steve
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
"The way I see it is this: the one who resists the fad-of-the-week hairstyle reveals an inner core of self confidence that can't easily be taken away."I have only one argument for that: Styles that have recently gone out-of-fashion. Styles that aren't "old" enough to be retro yet are still worn unfortunately look like the person forgot to change the year on his calendar! {grin}Jena
rainer View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:01pm
You must have a really poor life, Jena. How not to be a lemming? think!"The way I see it is this: the one who resist> the fad-of-the-week hairstyle reveals an inner core of> self confidence that can't easily be taken away."> I have only one argument for that: Styles that have> recently gone out-of-fashion. Styles that aren't> "old" enough to be retro yet are still worn> unfortunately look like the person forgot to change> the year on his calendar! {grin}> Jena
Dave View Drop Down

> "The way I see it is this: the one who resists> the fad-of-the-week hairstyle reveals an inner core of> self confidence that can't easily be taken away."> I have only one argument for that: Styles that have> recently gone out-of-fashion. Styles that aren't> "old" enough to be retro yet are still worn> unfortunately look like the person forgot to change> the year on his calendar! {grin}> JenaJena,Fashion is not a dictate; it's a choice.If a certain style can be seen favorably at one moment in time, and then again some years later, why can't it be seen just as favorably during the interim?Your answer presumes that keeping in lock-step with current fashions is an important priority. Not everyone feels this way.Dave
David M Squires
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:02pm
> You must have a really poor life, Jena.You're right. I'm destitute. Please send money!!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:02pm
Admit it --you still listen to "Disco Duck" and "Stayin' Alive" don't you?;-)
Kira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:02pm
> My nephew has recently come to live with me. He is> twelve years old and has a ponytail! I would> desperately like to cut it off as I don't believe boys> (or men for that matter) should have long hair. But> I'm frightened that if I do make him have it cut he> will hate me for it as he is very attaced to it. What> should I do?You are correct to worry you will damage your relationship. Hair is a very personal issue, since its not a possession but in fact a part of one's body which requires time and care to maintain.In the U.S. it is not as acceptible for men to have long hair, but around the world customs vary and in some cultures hair cutting is forbidden. Some other cultures allow hair cutting but see long hair as virile or masculine. That said, it is obviously still not customary where you live and your reservations are perfectly allowed.Your course of action should involve taking your nephew's feelings into account, which you already have by being willing to accept advice. It is admirable to recognise that perhaps your instincts and gut feelings need to be tempered a bit by a little help from the outside.I suggest discussing the matter with your nephew, raising the following points - that it makes you uncomfortable, but that you realise it is an integral part of him. Discuss maintainance and hygene, and suggest that as long as he keeps his hair clean and tidy, he can wear it however he likes. Do not leave anything unclear, decide together what defines clean and tidy -i.e. washing twice a week? every other day? These are acceptable in various households. Which hairstyles will you consider (together) to be tidy? A ponytail most of the time, but allowed to be down as long as it is brushed, for special occasions? Set some guidelines, but please be willing to give him a few slips here and there.My own parents allowed my brother to get his ear pierced at the age of 13, since that was the age i was allowed to have mine done. They made the rule early on that there would be no preferential treatment of either of us based on gender alone, and what was forbidden or allowed for one of us was extended to the other. We still respect them highly for that.
rainer View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 10:02pm
When "Disco Duck" - whatever it is- or "Stayin' Alive" is in fashion again ("retro", you know...), then you're the first who suddenly loves it. But then it's o.k., isn't it?LOL> Admit it --you still listen to "Disco Duck"> and "Stayin' Alive" don't you?> ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic