Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2000 at 11:44pm
Outlaws! Very cool concept, PD.

My hair is a couple of inches below my knees, I guess. When it reached right above my knees, it seemed to slow down for a while. There was quite a bit of stress in my life about then, so I attribute the slowness to that. Now it seems to be growing again. I'm psyched. I'm also fairly tall, at 5'-8". You?

Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2000 at 1:12am
>Ah well, I'll get there!

With your attitude, you sure will! Besides, a year and a half isn't all that long. I know that for me, what helped was putting my hair up. This way I would not be used to seeing it down. Then, every once in a while, I would take a long time observing it in the mirror, and I'd always be surprized how long it has gotten. Mind tricks-- gotta love'em!

PD
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2000 at 1:39am
Hi,

I'm somewhere around 5'7 or 5'8. Depends on my mood:)

I know what you mean about stress. Seems like it has become a part of this culture. I found, however, that when I started taking proper care of my hair about two years ago (trimming, oil treatments, better quality products, supplements, etc.), many of the vitamins (allong with a few good changes in my life) seemed to help the stress. I never realized how much of an effect nutrition has on the state of mind, not to mention overall body health. The change was very drammatic on my hair. From dry, frizzy, split ends and clogged up scalp, I suddenly had shiny, full, moisturized hair that was growing like crazy! I wish I had known about proper hair care (and stress reduction methods!) earlier. Life would have been much easier. Anyways. My hair has gotten where I wanted it to be, and I'm keeping it at knee length...at least for now:)

PD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2000 at 10:37pm
So what color is your hair? It sounds wonderful, so far. Tell me more...

Mine is honey brown, so I've heard it called, because in the sunlight, it changes to this awesome coppery-gold color, all lit up in highlights. In the bleak midwinter, it's medium-to-dark brown, though not black-brown. There's always a hint of highlight. It's also very straight and of a super fine texture. Karen had a photo of me posted a few months ago on the main page here at the Hair Boutique, one she obtained from Dave Tichenor at TILHC from a photo shoot he and I did not quite 2 years ago. He has a page dedicated to me at his site, and hopefully he'll update it soon. Note that the photos there are all very dark, so snag one and lighten it up in a photo editing program, if you can. I'm also at the bottom of the '99 Photo Contest page. That pic shows my highlights really nicely.

At TLHS, Frank has several photos of me in a step-by-step series as I put my hair up in this wrapped French twist style I came up with. It's in the Hair Care/Styles section. BTW, that style is soooo quick to do, once you get the hang of it! How do you do your hair, you know, for those less-than-romantic times, like most of the time?

Isn't this discussion politically charged? LOL!

Glad to hear you're taking good care of yourself. I've improved my habits significantly, too, especially where my hair is concerned.

Nice to meet you,
Jennifer Evwe

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
iggy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2000 at 2:32am
There is another group of people who wear their hair long. Those that are doing it to please their partners.

My own wife is in this group. She tells me often that she only grew and keeps her hair long because I asked her to and as a demonstration of her feelings for me. Obviously I take this as a huge compliment & do all I can to show my appreciation & encourage her. I help with her hair by washing combing styling it etc, whenever I can. I enjoy that aspect too, she enjoys the attention and I think it strengthens our relationship.

How do others view growing or keeping their hair long for their partner? Conversley, would any of you long haired girls/boys consider cutting your hair if a partner loved short hair & pressed you to?

Iggy..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2000 at 8:25am
Absolutely not! Any guy I am involved with would certainly know what my hair means to me, so his asking me this would indicate extreme insensitivity or appalling arrogance. I would consider it a very bad indicator for the endurance factor of the relationship, as I've been involved with power and control men before, and it's not a good basis for a relationship. Keep in mind, I'm responding to your words, "...if a partner loved short hair & PRESSED you to?" It makes me shudder.

Jennifer Eve

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2000 at 12:40pm
Hi,

My hair is a strange sort of red color. My mom calls it chesnut, but I'm not sure what chesnut looks like, so I don't know. In the summer it turns to a dark sort of strawberry blond. Like yours, it's very fine and completely straight. I wish it were thick and full, but I guess nothing in life is perfect, so I try to make the best of what I have. I always wear it up in a braid that's put up in a bun. Makes it look like a fancy, complicated style, but really it's the easiest one I've found thus far! I can't afford to wear it down too often because of it's texture-- even the slightest breeze makes it all tangled. Besides, wearing it up helps protect it from exposure to the air which dries it out.

I visit the sites you mentioned (TILHC and TLHS) every once in a while, and I saw all of your photos. You are such a beautiful person! I didn't realize that the woman in the photos and you are one and the same person. And that modified french twist style-- I've tried it and it works pretty well. I still prefer to wear my hair up, to protect my ends. But whenever I need a change in style, I do various "do's" similar to the one you showed.

You're right. This topic isn't very political:) Oh, what the heck. They don't have to read it if they don't want to.

It has been very nice meeting you too, Jennifer.
PD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2000 at 4:23pm
Your hair sounds lovely, PD! The tangling does remind me of mine, but I've found it can be eased a bit with the right shampoos and conditioners, thank goodness. It's for this reason that wearing it down is infrequent for me, too, but also special and why I sometimes like to "show it off," to get back to one of your original "political" questions. :-)

Yes, those braided updos do look complicated. I bet they're so pretty on you. With my French twist style, I often take the remaining ponytail and wrap it around the twisted part, starting where the tail begins and wrapping my way upwards. Then I put the leather barrette in, and voila! It protects those ends, holds wonderfully and comes undone in a snap.

Catch you around!
Jennifer Eve

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2000 at 11:48pm
You are very fortunate man. I wish there were more ladies
out there like your wife,who is willing to keep her
long hair for a man to enjoy. Most ladies,who keep their
long hair at the request of a man,will ask the man,to help
take care of it,which is a reasonable request.
Long hair that is well taken care,has a beautiful,magnificent, appearance of ladies identity.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2000 at 11:48pm
You are very fortunate man. I wish there were more ladies
out there like your wife,who is willing to keep her
long hair for a man to enjoy. Most ladies,who keep their
long hair at the request of a man,will ask the man,to help
take care of it,which is a reasonable request.
Long hair that is well taken care,has a beautiful,magnificent, appearance of ladies identity.
iggy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2000 at 3:53pm
Jennifer. I agree with your assertion about some men and their sad controlling nature. I see it in some of my friends relationships and I really wonder how long they will last, but I have to say that women can be just as control orientated as men. You must have seen cases of this, as I have. I can't imagine myself how anyone could pressure the person they supposedly love, to do something that would make them unhappy.

My last sentence was written as a somewhat provocative addendum to engender reaction. This is Hair Politics after all & us Hair Politician's do fly the occasional kite to see if it takes off.. :-)

The most important thing is to love the person for who & what they are, not what you want them to be, or the relationship is doomed..

Kind Regards.. Iggy..
Aeva View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2000 at 6:44pm
I love long hair, especially if it's curly. I'm a university student, and I've noticed that a lot of girls wear their hair past their shoulders, mostly mid-back, so they can easily braid it back quickly in time for class. Makes sense, but I'm 5'0", and 80 lbs., so I find short hair definitely more flattering on me. While I do have to spend extra time with the hair dryer, if it gets too long, it seems to hide the rest of me! =)
So, no, I would not conform to society's love for long hair.
It's much more important that the person wearing the hair llikes the look, and looks good with it.
- Aeva
WUVIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUVIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2000 at 9:02pm
http://members.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewUserPage&userid=WUVIE

Hi.
I just wanted to post in response to your questions about long hair.
Oh, boy, do I ever know what you mean about
people with long scraggly looking hair. I have four
foot long healthy hair and NEVER have split ends.
I keep it trimmed and generally in a braid or up in
a bun. I don't wear it down often, mainly because
it invites tangles, which require brushing. Brushing
causes breakage. The less brushing, the better.
At any rate. I have to admit, it drives me nuts when
a person states that the length of one's hair is
down to the knees, when in fact the hair is raggedy shaped on the ends, and only the middle section of the hair is that long. Trim that nasty mess, please!
As for all of the expensive hair treatments, shampoos, conditioners, etc....this is for the birds. If you take care of your hair you do not need all of this nonsense. Mind you, a good conditioner is needed, but the most important part of growing long hair is CARING for it.
Blow dryers, curling irons, wind, excessive brushing...all bad for your hair. Wash it, braid it and go. Let it dry itself. Hair thrives on moisture, let it have some!
Take it from me, I've had long hair all of my life. I wear it down occasionally and get tons of compliments...and sure enough, they always mention how healthy it is, and it truly is healthy.
Let it grow. Braid it wet. Stop blow drying it.
Simple as that.
It won't be knee length overnight, so be patient. Care for your hair. Love your hair, and it will reward you.
>>>>>>>>
Now, I pose a few questions for those with long hair: if everyone wore their hair long, would you wear yours long too, or would you cut it, just to be different?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I would wear mine long because I know how to take care of it and my hair indeed is beautiful because I have taken care of it. I would have pride in knowing that my hair looks and IS healthy, therefore I wouldn't look like everyone else.
In terms of personality, I don't think that there is any particular stereotype...just a thing. Like long fingernails, people who like cats, don't like cats, etc.
:-)
Karen Marie
Karen Marie... / ACCOLADY

"You never see Eve, Venus, or the Graces painted with cropped hair."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic