Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WB 'LOCKS' STARS UP OVER HAIRCUTS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brulist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brulist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WB 'LOCKS' STARS UP OVER HAIRCUTS
    Posted: June 03 2000 at 8:38am
From the New York Post:

WB 'LOCKS' STARS UP OVER HAIRCUTS

By BILL HOFFMANN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a case of shear chutzpah over at the WB - the TV network has
banned the young stars of "Felicity," "Dawson's Creek" and "Buffy the
Vampire Slayer" from cutting their hair short.
Network brass issued the edict in response to "Felicity" star Keri
Russell's chopping her locks last season, which sent fans into a fury -
and ratings into the toilet.

WB insists there's no official ban, but network spokesman Brad Turell
said, "We wouldn't like it if Keri Russell cut her hair again."

Turell said the network was jolted last year when fans reacted bitterly
to Russell chopping her long locks in favor of a poodle cut.

Viewers responded by tuning out in droves.

"You don't want to radically alter the look of a character from one
season to the next. That generally doesn't work," he said.

Turell said he believes Russell - who plays a California cutie
attending college in the Big Apple - realizes she looks better with
longer hair.

"I think she's happy to have it grow back. Her marketability is
enhanced with the longer hair," he said.

The no-cut policy is said to extend to "Buffy" star Sarah Michelle
Gellar, "Dawson's Creek" headliners Katie Holmes and James Van Der
Beek, "Charmed" star Shannen Doherty, and Charisma Carpenter of
"Angel."

The WB shows, seen in New York on WPIX/Channel 11, are popular with
teens and twentysomethings.

Taiki_Kou View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taiki_Kou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2000 at 6:09pm
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. If stars want to change their hair and the writers can work it in, where's the problem? I actually liked it when Keri Russell cut her hair. She's such a pretty girl that it can only help her appearance to have short hair and show off her pretty face, right? She's still as pretty a person either way.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2000 at 8:47pm
Hollywood is not about satisfying the preferences of its stars. It's about making money for its production companies, which, for TV, are paid via ratings-based advertising.

Of Keri Russell, you said, "She's such a pretty girl that it can only help her appearance to have short hair and show off her pretty face..."

This mindset presumes that her formerly-long hair prevented you from being able to appreciate the beauty of her face. Speaking for myself, I was perfectly able to appreciate the beauty of both her face and her (formerly) long hair. Now there's less overall to be visually appreciated. And there are those who feel that her present haircut does not flatter her face as well as did her formerly long hair. While you are entitled to your opinion (of course), it would not seem to be widely shared by "Felicity" viewers.

Beatnik Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatnik Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2000 at 4:59pm
Dave of course is absolutely right...while Keri Russell still has a pretty face without her long locks, she is very much diminished by cutting her hair. I too hope she grows it back...

As for the wider issue, its tempting to say that long hair lovers have been vindicated by declining ratings and the TV company's edict against other starlets cutting their hair, but on the other hand the 'banning' element does leave a bit of a bad taste. If the case for long hair is made why do we need compulsion?

Chris
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2000 at 5:11pm
Pretty sad when the public plays so much importance on looks and nevermind her acting abilities. Pretty shallow atttitude. She is a very pretty girl no matter what and it was her choice at the time according to the articles I read about her and now they say that she realizes that she should grow it back. Well sure enough when someone is bullied into a situation for sure. What choices does she have? you know.
She has no choices so it is very easy to say in public that she realizes that she should grow it back. Personally I think she looks great but I wouldn't waste my time writing to station and saying all this as many people probably thought the same way. Many people really don't care one way or the other. But you certainly come up with many interesting topic. Keep them coming. It is very refreshing.
dianefromcanada
JES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2000 at 6:18pm
As with any long vs. short hair discussion you will have very diverse opinions. I actually liked it after she let it grow out a little. Visually speaking, the long hair does "take away" from the beautiful face. Not to say one has to have short hair to admire the beauty but that if one has long hair it will visually take up part of the picture that is being sensed by the brain.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2000 at 10:01pm
Hi Jes,

Interesting perspective. How would you feel if she had long hair that were put into a bun such that it didn't "obstruct" your field of vision... would you find that hairstyle "acceptable" for your face-viewing pleasure? If so, perhaps it could represent a "compromise" position for short- and long-hair lovers?
CarolG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2000 at 3:40pm
Right before the short-haired Felicity episodes ran, TV Guide reported that Felicity's producer came up with the idea of the shorn look.

Keri Russell and a friend were clowning around the hair and makeup area, and she put on a wig that was meant for a boy in another show. Her friend thought Felicity in a rather masculine 'do was hilarious, and captured the shot with a Polaroid. The two girls then sent the picture to her producer with the caption that she got "carried away" with a haircut.

The producer reported to TV Guide that he was first shocked, then intrigued by the idea of a short-haired Felicity, and approached Ms. Russell about the idea. She remarked that she thought the show was just "about her hair", and reportedly liked the idea of a change.

Although I personally liked the longer hair better...

-Carol
CarolG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2000 at 4:13pm
OK, I'm being chatty today. I haven't posted to this forum in over a year so maybe I'm making up for lost time?

This "no cut" policy may also be fallout from Jessica Biel's (7th heaven) actions...she first gets her waist-length hair cut without the producers knowledge, and then poses provocatively for Gear Magazine, and gives everyone some lip when she is interviewed.

Maybe the issue is beyond hair...but about producers wanting more control of their prized actors.

-Carol
longhair2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2000 at 2:26am
The producers job is to maximize viewership and profits and if they have the legal contractual rights to maintain the hair length of their stars then they must do so. Ratings determine whether such a move as a shorter haircut has any perceived impact on advertising dollars and profits. I do not watch Felicity and have no comment on that show, but I do understand the producers actions.
mari View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2000 at 3:03am
I agree..
i'll show my prejudice now..
I hate short hair and looks un-natural to me
and when I say I hate I mean with a passion.
I think people look better with natural hair both male and females young and old.
but THIS is only MY opinion only and not the law of the gods so no hate mail please
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic