Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Braids on Boys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:43pm
Its all about what you feel
jennifera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 12:49am
Andrea5087, Can you please send me a photo(s) of you son Jamie, Thank You, Jennifer Ash
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 3:39pm
If he wants to wear braids then give him braids. It's brave of him to be an individual as far as his hair is concerned and not bow to peer pressure. Cornrows would be more masculine although probably not the look he/you are going for. I know first hand what it's like not to get my own way hair wise so it's great that you're letting him try things out.
ericab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 12:04am
Yeah i think its great that your boy wants to have girl's hairstyle. he should be able to have a heidi braid and a bun or a french braid. i dont care what anybody else says if he wants to have a girl's hairstyle go for it. i know when i have long hair i wanna have a girl's hairstyle
Eric Bradley
ericab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 12:15am
I was wondering if i could see a picture of you putting his hair in braids.
Eric Bradley
Traci_cheer07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traci_cheer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 10:35am

See my post under the "Is it wrong to curl my son's hair" thread -- I've been doing my son's hair in feminine styles for a couple of years now and I don't think he suffers from it. When I don't have time to do his hair in rollers I usually do either a high ponytail or two braids. He gets teased some, but he also gets a lot of support from his sisters and from the girls at his school. Last week he asked if he could wear a ribbon around his ponytail (his sister is a cheerleader this fall and she often has to wear her hair up with a bow), and we started with a small blue bow on a Saturday, at home. He spent the day with his hair up like that, even ran some errands with me, and he didn't get laughed at or teased (I think most people assume he's a girl when he's in overtly feminine hairstyles).

Braids are very cute on boys and I think you should let him find the hairstyles he's comfortable  with.

fatkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 3:51am
     I would love for you to post a picture of you'r son with whatever hair style he chooses.     I have four boys with long hair and I let them choose their own hair styles sometimes.  I would love to see the outcome of his hairstyle.  Smile
mz. dimples
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 11:07am
I give braids on guys a big thumbs up. 

I braid my boyfriend's hair all of the time.  He'll wear pretty much any style when it's just the two of us alone, but unfortunately he's not as daring in public.  About the most daring style he'll wear in front of other people is a french braid.  But I've done his hair in all sorts of styles--pigtails, Heidi braids--they all look great on him.

So as long as your son is cool with it, I don't see why he shouldn't wear braids.  In fact, I would say that a single braided ponytail is pretty much a socially acceptable style for guys now.  And of course lots of African American men are wearing braids these days.  The Heidi braid might get him teased a bit, but if he likes it......
Jenny B.
fimbulwinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fimbulwinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:43pm

As a male who has had long hair his whole life, I can say that the only kind of braiding I ever found to be acceptable is a single braided ponytail.

However noble you feel your cause may be, society just isn't ready for little boys having girls' hairstyles.

Though I wouldn't wear my hair in the ways you have described, I don't think that the concept itself is bad-- but I'm afraid that the harsh reality could very well be that your son would be treated and teased horribly if you were to send him out amongst his peers with a girl's hairstyle.

Sure, a bunch of hair lovers on a HAIR forum will tell you that it's a great idea, but most people in the real world probably won't see things the same way that we do.

In school I never ceased to recieve negative comments about my long hair. I can't even IMAGINE what would have happened if I had gone around with feminine hairstyles. Children can be terribly cruel to one another. That's just a sad fact.

--EDIT--

On the other hand, if your son truly wants to try this out, you might as well let him. My only point is that you and your son should not be surprised by a negative outcome.

I don't mean this post to sound too harsh or scary, but the world is simply a harsh place and you should consider the negative possibilities before you do anything you're not sure about.

Edited by fimbulwinter - March 08 2007 at 5:48pm
TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 9:08am
I agree with "Hellfrozeover" i too know what it is like not to be able to have my hair the way i wanted it as a youth and even now as adult. If your son has come to you and asked for braids, or curls or shaved, let him try.
Tommi
ald_fld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ald_fld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 11:46am
So, did any of you get pictures of the boy in braids? How did he look?

aldfld
TONETTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONETTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 1:57am
Back around 1985, while camping, I met a couple whose Toddler boy wore his hair in a french braid that his mother did. When she washed his hair that night, around the campfire, she braided his hair very skillfully. He didnt seem to mind a bit.  I began seeing other younger boys in braids at that time, and watched as some boys, from young toddlers to older pre-teens had the tiny braid coming down even if their hair was short. Even a few wore it curled from the single pink foam roller.
Longbraids-Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbraids-Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 7:19am
Well , I`m a 50 year old German man wearing my hair in that braided "Willie-Nelson-Style". It`s my favorite hairstyle and many people seeing that are applauding about.
Look at (my homepage) :

http://zoepfe-mike.beeplog.de
man in braids
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 3:20am

Originally posted by Anon Anon wrote:

I hope this is just a troll and not serious. And I shudder at the positive nods this poster is getting.

Times have changed quite a bit since June 15, 2000 when this thread was first started as this recent Chicago Tribune article below shows. As more and more women encourage their men to wear their hair long the issue of whether or not they should wear it long will fade away and the question of how they wear it will come center stage. 

This boy's hair: From soccer fields to Disney stars, long hair on boys is all the rage

From soccer fields to Disney stars, long hair on boys is all the rage

Flip through People or Us Weekly, and you'll spot actress Kate Hudson's son, Ryder Robinson, or singer Celine Dion's son Rene-Charles Angil, both sporting below-the-shoulder tresses.

beth1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beth1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 11:28am
Andrea, could you email me a photo of your son?
Or if any of you have a photo, please email.

nvy7hj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvy7hj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 7:26pm
Thanks for reading. I am excited to read about this subject. It is so out of the normal in this country that any boy or man with even the faintest notion of waring their hair in double braids or any style considered more girl like, should be loudly cheered.
I agree with pretty much every angle stated here, and very importantly they al stated the same ideas, back up your kid in this situation. He should, if it is his desire, have this style hair.
I put my hair in a braid and double braids many days. Since at least 10 from what I remember. Now and when a teen, I had hair nearly reaching my belt. It is a little thinner now but still very nice to have dancing down my back.
I remember my sister and some of her friends wanting to do it all the time when I was younger but, my mother typically handled my hair. My hair was longer then my sisters from the time I was at least 7. I admit looking at a couple of our pictures now, and wondering which of my sisters girl-friends were in the picture with her. Forgetting that it was me.
For me putting the hair into a double braid seemed kind of the most logical way of keeping out of my own way. I did not have Pippy style but more like Willy Nelson where it was set a little more to the back. The greatest benifet of this was the wave it put in my hair once let out.
I wore it in a high ponytail all the time at school. One year even pulled up it was the longest hair int he school. Girls liked it. They all the time warned me about various issues with hair but I really did not need it.
I keep it simple and did then. With only a few exceptions, I did not make it girl like (intentionally)! When i did or when I wore training shorts, thats when people wondered. It did not bother me, and if people said something telling me it was wrong or thought I was a girl from behind, it was a chance to dispell misconceptions, nicely.
I have noticed more often then not that when a young boy has it long and is thought of as a girl then there really is no problem anyway, unless that careless person went up to the kid and called them a girl. For the most part I got used to it and just did not say anything until I was old enough it was obvious from the front.
I really promote the idea and just think that the kid needs to have the say here. Be careful about imposing your parental view and about what you say to him in the situation. If your intentions are pure and you are doing what is in his best interest then the obvious solution will be presented.
nvy7hj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvy7hj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 7:34pm
He gets teased some, but he also gets a lot of support from his sisters and from the girls at his school. Last week he asked if he could wear a ribbon around his ponytail (his sister is a cheerleader this fall and she often has to wear her hair up with a bow), and we started with a small blue bow on a Saturday, at home. He spent the day with his hair up like that, even ran some errands with me, and he didn't get laughed at or teased (I think most people assume he's a girl when he's in overtly feminine hairstyles).

Traci_cheer07
I made a long comment but I did the same with my hair in school, sometimes waited to get to school so one of the girls would do it for me.
To me the overtly feminine styles can be used and then if you get uncomfortable, you can pull it up or back or put a cap on. For me I liked putting it into a very feminine style at times, it seems that others just recognized me and knew that it was just something I was trying out. It did make my girlfriend mad once when I had  the same style as hers.
He will let you know..
sarahelizabeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahelizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 4:06am
Hi I'm Sarah how are you? Very interesting post on your sons developments. I'm transgendered and would have loved this myself. I say go for it. Its just hair and if he's already feminized big deal. The world has worse problems right. I do support you and love the idea for his hair. I would love to see a pic if you are ok with that.
stuffy623 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuffy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 9:40pm
Hi Traci. Does you son still have long hair? How does he like to wear it?
gjh
Kimmi Guthrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmi Guthrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 4:26am
Hi Sarah,

It's your friend Kimmi, from back in the days of Experience Project.

Hope you're still checking here. I'd love to chat about your post.

You can also reach me at Gmail- kimmiguthrie

In curls
Kimmi
In curls
Kimmi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic