Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Braids on Boys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Andrea5087 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea5087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids on Boys?
    Posted: June 15 2000 at 3:48pm
My little boy has really long hair, Id love to try him in tails or a Heidi braid, but I dont know if the world is ready? Ive discussed it with him, and hes willing to give it a go, one weekend. Do you think its acceptable for boys to have girls hairstyles these days?
fastcache View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastcache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2000 at 4:58pm
I don't like the idea much, but I don't like long hair on men in general. Let me say that first.

It sounds like you wish to do this out of your own fascination with his hair. I am guessing that because you asked the question, there are not many young lads running around sporting long braids in your area. Even if you live in a less conservative community I cannot imagine that a little boy in braids can be seen as a young boy without stares, whispers, teases, or similar sorts of cruelty. Or are you hoping that his identity is mistaken for a little girl instead?

Regardless of whether you are fazed by some potential naysayers, why would you want to subject your child to that?
Alana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2000 at 11:45am
I don't see any problem with a braid, or even two braids. I wonder about a Heidi braid though. I live in an area where there are many native americans and many young boys and men wear braids. So braids themselves are not the problem. However, one can imagine many more feminine styles that might pose a problem for your boy.

At the same time, look around you and see how other boys are wearing their hair. I see lots of young kids, say in their teens, who have dyed their hair, wear dreds, or buzzed cuts that defy description.

I guess what I am saying is, if you wish to braid your son's hair so it is convenient and comfortable for him, go for it. If you wish to feminize him, that is a whole other issue.

Alana
Andrea5087 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea5087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2000 at 8:44pm
My youngster is alredy very feminized, photo available, so I dont really see a problem with that aspect of it, from HIS point of view, I wondr only about whether society is ready to accept boys with "girly" hairstyles, in the same way as it will accept girls with boyish hairstyles?
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2000 at 8:44am
I appreciate the different possibilities to live in your country. If I look around here in Bavarian I never have seen a young boy with braids, although long hair on boys seems to be possible.

During my lifetime I have seen a lot of young men who prefered to look feminin with flowing long hairs. I think this type of self-expression is not in conflict with gender, but it can cause conflicts with the usual meanings of everydays people. But this conflicts can also be caused from other things. I think if it is possible to express the own thoughts of being, one should try to do it, but taking in mind the reaction of the environment. The price should not be too great, not for the child.

For young people their own friends or relatives are very important, and there exist also other factors in their own social groups that can not be estimated, and this factors can be really independent from outer appearances, something like "who has the most force", or "who gives the best ideas for playing something".

For me I can say that I liked long hair very much (not only as a boy), but my parents always gave the request to cut it very short, there was no chance to do something against this, they were only more powerful then I. I suggest the boy should be supported in his own preferences.

The times have changed. I have a young niece. She had very beautiful long hair. One day she had cut it all off and coloured it red, I guess she tried to make impression in her social group (at that time she was 11 years old). But after some weeks she don't liked it any more and now she is growing it back.
priti View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2000 at 10:52am
I too have a son with really long hair. Lately after putting up a message on the Hair Politics message board I got a positive response about braiding my sons hair. Now I have started putting his hair in two braids when he is at home. I think it is alright for boys to have a style that is comfortable for them.
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2000 at 9:00am
I wish that society didn't have this double standard of girls hairstyles and boys hairstyles. Girls seem to be able to wear ANY length or style while in most places boys are limited to shorter cuts or they face ridicule. Society is more tolerant of guys with hairstyles that are longer or outside of the general stereotype. I have a bob below my ears with bangs. I don't mind showing my feminine side. I sometimes use barrettes to spice up my hair though not really openly. Anyway, I do get looks and people probably talk behind my back but they don't say negative comments or anything like that. I have had a few girls tell me that I have pretty hair. Hair that many girls envy. I love the movement and versatility of my hair and if people call it feminine then so be it but I think that all hairstyles and lengths should be available to all guys and girls.
jsheats View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsheats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2000 at 11:42am
Any significant change in social practices has pioneers, who will be subject to a certain amount of stress. I think that if both you and he feel comfortable with the image that results, then you should do it and your true friends will reward you far more strongly than the results of being timid and conformist to a standard that you don't like.

Everyone cares to some extent about peer pressure, and as a result people are hesitant to speak their minds if the opinion appears to be unpopular. Persistence, however, will uncover the truth. Personally, I think honesty in self-expression (within the limits of decency and respect for others) is an extremely important value. And I think that society will benefit from greater diversity in styles of personal appearance. It is true that we are still rather conformist today (though a far cry from the era of the 1950's and earlier!), and those who push the envelope will not always find it easy.

Personally, I would be ecstatic if my boy (now 2) chose to have long hair in some attractive (which by conventional standards means "feminine") style, but that will be his choice!
boyincurlz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyincurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2000 at 4:42am
Is there really such a thing as "boys" or "girls" hairstyles anymore? Surely kids do their own thing! I wear my hair curled in what many would consider a "femine" style - but that is how I want it. If your son wants to try a particular style & you are willing then "GO FOR IT" & to hell with the detractors
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2000 at 7:58pm
Hi,

Actually the lines between male and female hair styles is very blurred. Many of the hair mags I get from Europe (and I get all of them now) show spiral curls or even wavy styles and they show the same style on male and female.

I have also had several men email me about whether it would be too weird for them to wear hairsticks in their hair.

I agree that everyone should wear their hair the way that they want to and don't worry about what is considered correct or not.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2000 at 1:40pm
Yes unfortunately there is still such a thing as a boys or girls hairstyle in most of societies eyes. I'm a guy and I have my hair cut in a bob below my ears with bangs. I love the style, shape, versatility, and movement of this cut but most people think that I have a girls hairstyle. I would love nothing more than to be able to let it grow out to about chin length but I would then be labeled as gay or queer or something like that. I just don't understand why girls can go super short, medium, or long and nothing is said, but if a guy starts letting his hair grow longer people automatically start talking.
Evy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 4:03pm
I'm very curious:
Does your boy still have long hair these days and did you both made the decicion to give it a try with the styles you liked?

Greetz Evy
Lalaithial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalaithial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 5:18pm
Put him in the style he feels most comfortable in be it pig tails or whatever, Who cares. Just make sure its what he wants and that your not just "trying styles" on him. I remember being a child who hated having her hair done, I just wanted to let it free. Heidi braids can also be very uncomfortable depending on how many pins you need to make them stick. I wouldn't reccomend that for a young boy.
Whatever you decide to do make sure he's comfortable with it and not doing it to please someone else.
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2003 at 3:36pm
Dah-ling! This is the wonderful 2000's were talking about, EVERYONE can do their own thing!
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:33pm
my friend has braids.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 7:37pm
Braids are 1 of the illest styles today.
angels lust View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angels lust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Andrea5087 Andrea5087 wrote:

My little boy has really long hair, Id love to try him in tails or a Heidi braid, but I dont know if the world is ready? Ive discussed it with him, and hes willing to give it a go, one weekend. Do you think its acceptable for boys to have girls hairstyles these days?

Yes I think the world is ready!!
Just do wat you want to do!
crazynluv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazynluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 1:03pm
yea i think cornrows r sxy hehe
~*~CeCe*~*
Anon View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 2:15pm
I hope this is just a troll and not serious. And I shudder at the positive nods this poster is getting. There is a big difference between an adult male who makes his own decision to wear his hair in some feminine way and what is posted here where a ''little'' boy who I presume is not able to make his own decisions is having this mom''s whims and fantasies hoistered on him.

I have endured the negative sides of such attentions from a legal guardian and a female cousin four years older than me who saw me as her living Barbie doll. I have suffered the indignity of attending a wedding with other relatives present with my hair in braids, ribbons and interwoven flowers, having my hair rolled in front of my cousins friends and being sent to school with my hair styled in popular girls styles of the day that ensured my teasing from girls and boys alike while not being so obviously feminine that it called the attention of the teachers. The closest such occassion was being sent to school on the day of a school photo with my hair in a French braid., with the threat hanging over me that if I did not return home with the braid intact that I would suffer worst ignomy the next day.

This is mental abuse.

Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2004 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Anon Anon wrote:

...The closest such occassion was being sent to school on the day of a school photo with my hair in a French braid., with the threat hanging over me that if I did not return home with the braid intact that I would suffer worst ignomy the next day.

This is mental abuse.

I agree that threatening a child is abuse of a parent's position but it is the coercion that is the problem, not the hairstyle.

Gormlaith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic