Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair-Styles for my boy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
priti View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair-Styles for my boy
    Posted: June 17 2000 at 12:27pm
I am from India and I have a 8 years old school going boy with long hair that goes way down his back. For school I dress his hair either in a ponytail or in a bun. But during summer he feels too hot with his long ponytail. Can you suggest some other styling tips for him for school and home.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2000 at 6:53pm
You don't say which country you are in at the present. Putting your boy's hair in a bun may well be acceptable in India but if you are in a Western country he would probably be teased by his classmates. If so, he should really consider having it shorter, maybe a neck-level bob would be a good idea, it's not too much of a shock for him and would be much cooler.
phil
Andrea5087 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea5087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2000 at 8:40pm
I know it might be considered feminine, but I would suggest plaiting it , either a corn/scalp plait or two, or an over the head heidi plait. My little boy has vey long hair also, and a pony tail has become very boring!
CarolG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2000 at 12:03am
A neighbor on my street is from India, too. She has a boy that is 10 or 12 with long hair. I often see him with his friends playing sports in a small park near us.

I have seen him with a lot of tiny pony tails made at the back of the head, it reminded me of dreadlocks, but not that complicated. I am not sure if he wears his hair like this when he is not playing sports, but I thought the style was quite interesting.
CarolG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2000 at 12:03am
A neighbor on my street is from India, too. She has a boy that is 10 or 12 with long hair. I often see him with his friends playing sports in a small park near us.

I have seen him with a lot of tiny pony tails made at the back of the head, it reminded me of dreadlocks, but not that complicated. I am not sure if he wears his hair like this when he is not playing sports, but I thought the style was quite interesting.
priti View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2000 at 11:31am
Thanks for you response. I think it is good idea to do braids. I will try it on him. I just forgot to ask one more thing. What hair accessories would be okay to use while braiding his hair. Can you also suggest any other accessories I could use to dress up his hair in any other style. As far his school is concerned they are okay with his hair as far as I do not use any fancy accessories.
priti View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2000 at 11:32am
Thanks for you response. I think it is good idea to do braids. I will try it on him. I just forgot to ask one more thing. What hair accessories would be okay to use while braiding his hair. Can you also suggest any other accessories I could use to dress up his hair in any other style. As far his school is concerned they are okay with his hair as far as I do not use any fancy accessories.
jsheats View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsheats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2000 at 11:02am
To both Priti and Andrea: I am greatly encouraged by your posts. As others have said in this discussion, the main thing in hair styles for children is to let them express themselves (within limits of cleanliness, etc.). It seems obvious that your sons are comfortable with their very long hair (given the time it takes to grow that long!), and they should be encouraged to experiment with styles that they are happy with.

My own experience as an adult is that there is a great fear of being teased or rejected for an out of the ordinary style, and it does in fact often happen from inconsiderate strangers, but one's friends, after perhaps an initial transition period, accept you for your personal qualities.
Evy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 3:32pm
I know a nice style for him, divide his hair in about
eight equal sections and twist every part around until it rolls up and become a knot. Fasten the knots with bobby pins. It is a beautiful and handy style for the hot days. For example look at the movie the matrix reloaded (one of te females has her do like that) I think its also suitable for boys so give it a try!! (In case he likes it).

For picture look at: http://www.thezreview.co.uk/images/matrixreloaded07.jpg
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:44pm
links isn't working
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 7:45pm
Yep ya links aint workin
Evy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 2:00am
On my side of the globe they do work, my friend.
Im sorry it doesn't on your side.

Ok than just see the movie and you'll find out whut
I ment

Greetz from the Netherlands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 3:22pm
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 5:29pm
You mean bantu knots.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

You mean bantu knots.
What is that cme?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic